Is Star Wars over explained?

At one point it was kind of like Lost. You didn't know much. The Force was mysterious. There were things to wonder about.

EU exploded. Life continued on. I sear, there's nothing mysterious or "wonderment" inducing about Star Wars anymore, at least in the EU.

The EU tends to take everything in canon and overexplain it. They'll go into huge details about how everything works in the force. It leaves little to the imagination. I'm actually kind of glad Lucas makes them keep their hands off of a select few things like Yoda's race.

Everything that is cool, perhaps even unique is copied and over analyzed in EU. Force ghosts being one of them. They were special. Then everyone and their mom started becoming force ghosts in the EU.

Another thing (side issue ;p) is EU's overuse of anything in canon. Practically every time you hear of suspended animation it HAS to involve carbonite which from the movies seems to be an unideal method that seems risky. But I swear in the EU no other method exists or that's what it seems like.

Bleh, I can go on an on and give a lot more specifics but I'm lazy. Basically what I'm saying is that, at least in EU, Star Wars has like ZERO magic left and ZERO mystery. It's completely saturated with explanations of everything. I'm not saying you should be like Lost and explain nothing but Star Wars EU leaves almost nothing to the imagination.

Carbon Freezing was normal to freeze someone, in the movies they didn't say it wasn't possible Vader just said.

"This facility is crude, but it should be adequate enough to freeze Skywalker for his journey to the Emperor."

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I think they explained too many things that made Star Wars mysterious and magical. Like Force Ghosts. That used to be something special, but now it seems everybody can be a Force Ghost. When Ben Kenobi appeared as a Force Ghost for the first time, I was like 'OMG that's amazing!'. Now it's not so special.

I think they explained too many things that made Star Wars mysterious and magical. Like Force Ghosts. That used to be something special, but now it seems everybody can be a Force Ghost. When Ben Kenobi appeared as a Force Ghost for the first time, I was like 'OMG that's amazing!'. Now it's not so special.

No, it was long lost to the Jedi until Qui Gon Jinn rediscovered it.

If you want to see something rare, look at Darth Plagueis.

i can understand what OP means, but on the other hand the reason we have so much EU material is because there is so much to starwars. writers need things to write, you can tell a good book by how well the detail is described, its a balancing act it needs to be descriptive but not boring. and its human nature to want to know more. so in the end it inevitable that thing will be explained in detail. think i read somewhere there is over 600 books and comics, don't know if this is true or not, but if it is then its not surprising that there is little left unexplained

personally i would rather lose the mystery than have no EU

I dont mind them going into detail, frankly some people are so slow they need said detail in order to comprehend things. Insults aside, to me the EU got bad on the Vong series, with the writers trying too hard to make their brand better than the rest. When it first starts a normal Vong warrior could go toe to toe with a Jedi no problems. Explained later by the Jedi not being able to "feel" them through the force. However that didnt explain how they beat down the Noghori so easily, since Noghori were said to give even Jedi trouble, and they didnt fight using the force, just agility, skill and years of training. No way should they have fallen so easy, just the writers trying to pump up their super invader army. Killing off Chewie was another stupid thing to do. By the end of the series Jedi could kill many Vong by themselves, which was stupid. Jacen was the biggest ..... beotch to be blunt, in the whole series then because a super ******. Everything with the kids was dumb.

To be honest, it is over explained BUT in the end it's up to you how much you read up about it. If you want to keep it mysterious you don't have to read the slur of lore out there. I think most of the EU is intended for hardcore fans, a lot of franchises has stuff like this where everything is over explained. So Star Wars is hardly unique in that aspect.

The biggest difference is that there is a lot more on Star Wars than most franchises so it's very widespread. It's all over the place and very easy to look up, one thing that bugged me is that all the characters from the movies. Even ones just standing in the background has a book or a comic book written about them. It's too centred around the movies all the time. It's like every angle in the movies has been explored in some way. Leave Luke, Vader and all those characters alone and do something new instead...

Which has thankfully happened recently but seriously not enough.

Edited by Hendar

If anything, the Canon system is underexplained as far as Canon and Lore go. It seems to change on nearly a daily basis sometimes as to what is and isn't Canon.

If we take George Lucas's latest statements about the 6 movies, that is the ENTIRETY of his Star Wars Universe. In G-Canon, Darth Ruin was the First Sith Lord, and it just ends after RotJ. Han and Leia never got married to each other. Luke never even met Mara Jade. Palpatine never returned as a clone, etc. Nothing prior to Darth Ruin ever existed. And after RotJ, everything just froze and they froze happily ever after. :p

Now, the parallel universe (UGH, I HATE that term) of G+C-Canon is where the Movies + Expanded Universe come into play. In THAT Canon Continuity, pretty much everything G and C-Canon exists. Lowbacca is the ONLY Wookiee Jedi. Ever. Boba Fett used his jetpack as a bomb to disable and climb out of the Sarlacc. Luke married Mara Jade and they had a kid. Han and Leia got married and had several kids. 2 of which died. Palpatine returned in several clone bodies before attempting to take over baby Anakin Solo. This is also the universe were Tales of the Jedi, KotOR, KotOR II, and TOR all take place. It's also the continuity and universe that most of us accept, especially since we play this game. And the best part is, it's still considered C-Canon in the Star Wars Universe.

Also, some of the story elements in the movies were so underdeveloped and underexplained, you HAD to read the novelizations to fill in the blanks. Like WHO THE HELL was Biggs Darklighter and why was Luke so happy to see him right before the Battle of Yavin? If I hadn't read the old novelization that explained who he was, I would have been left going "Huh???" That's just an example, but I noticed that a lot in the OT and even some in the Prequels.

Edited by Captain_Zone

If anything, the Canon system is underexplained as far as Canon and Lore go. It seems to change on nearly a daily basis sometimes as to what is and isn't Canon.

If we take George Lucas's latest statements about the 6 movies, that is the ENTIRETY of his Star Wars Universe. In G-Canon, Darth Ruin was the First Sith Lord, and it just ends after RotJ. Han and Leia never got married to each other. Luke never even met Mara Jade. Palpatine never returned as a clone, etc. Nothing prior to Darth Ruin ever existed. And after RotJ, everything just froze and they froze happily ever after. :p

Now, the parallel universe (UGH, I HATE that term) of G+C-Canon is where the Movies + Expanded Universe come into play. In THAT Canon Continuity, pretty much everything G and C-Canon exists. Lowbacca is the ONLY Wookiee Jedi. Ever. Boba Fett used his jetpack as a bomb to disable and climb out of the Sarlacc. Luke married Mara Jade and they had a kid. Han and Leia got married and had several kids. 2 of which died. Palpatine returned in several clone bodies before attempting to take over baby Anakin Solo. This is also the universe were Tales of the Jedi, KotOR, KotOR II, and TOR all take place. It's also the continuity and universe that most of us accept, especially since we play this game. And the best part is, it's still considered C-Canon in the Star Wars Universe.

Also, some of the story elements in the movies were so underdeveloped and underexplained, you HAD to read the novelizations to fill in the blanks. Like WHO THE HELL was Biggs Darklighter and why was Luke so happy to see him right before the Battle of Yavin? If I hadn't read the old novelization that explained who he was, I would have been left going "Huh???" That's just an example, but I noticed that a lot in the OT and even some in the Prequels.

Well really, all you needed to really know why Luke was happy to see Biggs was because he was his friend. Remember at the dinner table?

Owen: "Look its only one more season."

Luke: "Ya thats what you said when Biggs and Tank left."

Beru: "Where are you going?"

Luke: "Looks like im going nowhere, I have to go finish cleaning those droids."

- Luke leaves scene-

Beru: "Owen he can't stay here forever, most of his friends have gone. It means so much to him."

Own: "I'll make it up to him next year, I promise."

Beru: "Luke's just not a farmer Owen, he has too much of his father in him."

Owen: "Thats what im afraid of."

-Cut scene to sunset and the awesomeness of John Williams music-

Ok sorry got carried away. :p

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I think the force was over explained in tPM with the midiclorians and all the prequels try to show more and more of the universe at the expense of the story (which is why the PT seems flat compared to the OT) There is just too much of nothing going on that then tries to get explained in EU or by the fans and it tumbles from there.

I think the force was over explained in tPM with the midiclorians and all the prequels try to show more and more of the universe at the expense of the story (which is why the PT seems flat compared to the OT) There is just too much of nothing going on that then tries to get explained in EU or by the fans and it tumbles from there.

The Force wasn't really over explained, its still mystic and everything. The only thing that was explained, is how one is able to communicate with it if it weren't for that then there would be billions upon billions of jedi/sith in the galaxy when thats not how they are suppose to be.

I'd rather they keep some of the mystery though. Instead of doing a blood test I'd rather they just sense Anakin's power.

Pretty sure Qui-Gon did, and he probably wanted the blood sample to double check what he was already suspecting.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

His suspicious were razed because Anakin had force like reflexes to be able to pilot a pod racer without crashing (most humans are not co-ordination to do so) and that anakin had visions of the future. Plus the whole jedi philosophy of "everything happens for a reason." he then gave him a blood test. If it were like in ANH where Vader sensed Kenobi it would have kept the extra-natural mystery of the force.

But that's one little jawa's opinion.

Well really, all you needed to really know why Luke was happy to see Biggs was because he was his friend. Remember at the dinner table?

Owen: "Look its only one more season."

Luke: "Ya thats what you said when Biggs and Tank left."

Beru: "Where are you going?"

Luke: "Looks like im going nowhere, I have to go finish cleaning those droids."

- Luke leaves scene-

Beru: "Owen he can't stay here forever, most of his friends have gone. It means so much to him."

Own: "I'll make it up to him next year, I promise."

Beru: "Luke's just not a farmer Owen, he has too much of his father in him."

Owen: "Thats what im afraid of."

-Cut scene to sunset and the awesomeness of John Williams music-

Ok sorry got carried away. :p

Oh, I know all that NOW. But when I first saw it, I didn't put two and two together. Hey, I was a little kid when it came out in the theaters the first time. :p

Then several years after RotJ came out, I picked up all three novelizations and read them. They filled in the blanks nicely. :D

My point is that some people miss stuff when they watch the movie, and only reading the books really gets everything to click into place. Even the Prequels were like that. In fact, we didn't get actual names for some of the characters until they were labelled on the old Kenner Action Figures back in the day. lol

Oh, I know all that NOW. But when I first saw it, I didn't put two and two together. Hey, I was a little kid when it came out in the theaters the first time. :p

Then several years after RotJ came out, I picked up all three novelizations and read them. They filled in the blanks nicely. :D

My point is that some people miss stuff when they watch the movie, and only reading the books really gets everything to click into place. Even the Prequels were like that. In fact, we didn't get actual names for some of the characters until they were labelled on the old Kenner Action Figures back in the day. lol

Lol, I would like to know however who this 'Tank' was.