One planet is not an expansion

Darth-Rammstein

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can not really assess the "size" as small yet. There is a 5 level increase. If you look at expansions for WoW that were 5 levels (Cata and MoP) there was A LOT to do for those 5 levels. If there is a similar amount to do for Makeb (and 5 levels) then at $20 EAware is delivering more for less (New WoW expansions are usually $40). If for some reason the don't have much to do and we just burn through 5 levels pretty fast then I would say its a small expansion. But, right now, it is too soon to tell. :cool:

Definitely agree. There could be even more that we're getting for the $10. But a large planet, 5 more levels w/ more talent trees and skill points, more fully voiced story. Even if there's nothing other than these things it's worth $10 IMO.

Definitely agree. There could be even more that we're getting for the $10. But a large planet, 5 more levels w/ more talent trees and skill points, more fully voiced story. Even if there's nothing other than these things it's worth $10 IMO.

Agree that seems like a value at $10. TBH if this doesn't live up to what most MMORPG consumers are used to with regards to things "called an expansion" I hope in the future they use another term like just call it a "story pack" or some such or whatever EQ2 calls their mini download content. Bit, EAware doesn't seem to be the sort to use clear language or already industry established terms in the way that we are used to them ( I still maintain they do NOT understand their consumers). :cool:

Edited by Urael

I don't think it's the value as much as the effort. Honestly, I would have rather paid $40 and gotten a full fledged expansion with 10 levels of gameplay, expansion of the class stories with a new class specific companion, 4 or 5 new FPs, a new WZ, new Op, a new Mini game, etc.

9.99 for 5 levels of Mekeb may be a good deal, but for an expansion, the effort they're putting in seems half hearted.

Agree that seems like a value at $10. TBH if this doesn't live up to what most MMORPG consumers are used to with regards to things "called an expansion" I hope in the future they use another term like just call it a "story pack" or some such or whatever EQ2 calls their mini download content. Bit, EAware doesn't seem to be the sort to use clear language or already industry established terms in the way that we are used to them ( I still maintain they do NOT understand their consumers). :cool:

Hehe. Valid point. Given the general connotations that the word "expansion" has for MMOs, they'd definitely have been better served announcing this as a mini-expansion, story pack, or DLC pack. Using the word "expansion" just gives something for the ragewhiners to focus their nerdrage on.

When did they say this was chapter 4?

You know, you're right. They haven't said it officially. I'm basing Chapter 4 off this (http://db-ptr.darthhater.com/items/57138/chapter_4_rise_of_the_hutt_cartel). Perhaps it isn't chapter 4, perhaps it's just first tidbit of Chapter 4 or an interlude in the Interlude, but you know what, it would be wise for them to tell us that.

To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas – sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start – as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!

Wow. That's a major disappointment. I was hoping for some new systems or at least some World PvP on Makeb, but instead its the same as all the other planets minus class stories?

I hope these "more details" are at least SOMETHING decent.

Its a micro expansion. Similar to what everyone does. Halo, BF3, etc...when they release mappacks for those it is only 4 maps and some other additions. Compared to classic games of the genre this is a tiny amount, yet people don't raise a fuss. It is very much a micro mappack. A full mappack would be say for example, if all the BF3 packs were combined into one. That is literally what we used to get years ago in UT99 and we got it for free.

What you are looking at here in TOR is a version of this except for an MMO. It is a micro expansion and really it should be advertised as such. If BW charged more than $20 you'd have a mass exodus from the game. Giving preorders a 50% discount is much appreciated. To me it is a no brainer. I'd rather spend money on stuff like this than Cartel Market.

.... Giving preorders a 50% discount is much appreciated. To me it is a no brainer. I'd rather spend money on stuff like this than Cartel Market.

Hmmm, is that the way you read it? I read it that for subbers it would cost 10 no matter when you buy it, but if you buy it now you get early access. Wonder who's right? :confused:

Its a micro expansion. Similar to what everyone does. Halo, BF3, etc...when they release mappacks for those it is only 4 maps and some other additions. Compared to classic games of the genre this is a tiny amount, yet people don't raise a fuss. It is very much a micro mappack. A full mappack would be say for example, if all the BF3 packs were combined into one. That is literally what we used to get years ago in UT99 and we got it for free.

Yes and they don't allow player made maps so that they can charge ridiculous prices for a few mediocre maps that they whipped up in an afternoon. The gaming industry is in a sad state compared to how it was. It's now ruled by fatcats who only care about money and have no interest in the subject. They don't allow creativity and only re-hash old ideas :/

Games from the 90s and early 00 stuck around so long because they were open, encouraged modding and the people making them were gamers themselves. I remember UT99 when you could download map packs with something like 50+ maps in them, for free.

Edited by NasherUK

To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas – sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start – as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!

No! NO! You stop it right there! I got them all, for the love of God, don't make me do more! STOP! Stop it right now I say! :(

Overall pretty damn happy with this we just got 1.6 which was awesome as I pvp a lot. Now I can see a new planet on the horizon. The whole datacron thing is upsetting as hate those damn things especially the +10 what a pain in the *** to get. But to see a new world, get some new levels and have some new skills not bad at all and really 10 bucks for the amount of time I spend on this game? I can dig it.

That sounds worthy of $10. Don't know how one can complain. What do you get for $10-15 console dlc? Maybe 3-5 hours of extra gameplay? I bet this will be 20-30 hours of fun.

Looking forward to it, especially the interested in what else you haven't revealed.

The idea of an MMO is that you get something for your $15 a month.. We really have not gotten anything of note in a year, just broken promises and bugs.

To then make us pay $10 for something that should have been released for our monthly sub?

Especially since it was suppose to be FREE anyway.

BW, if anything, are amazing LIARS.

implying the expansion is alot of money

cost me £6 thats 1 hour at work gg

I've been subbed to this game for 12 months and i've never had an issue with the game except for the amount of whiny children i have to put up with, but im used to that as wow has kids like that complaining about nerfs 24/7.

If anyone has a problem with £5.99/$9.99 you might as well unsub now and pay full wack later if your so angry about something that hasn't been released.

Edited by MoltenRog

Yet Blizzard released Outland, which is not much bigger (and may even be smaller) than some of the planets and THAT was OK? I heard no whining about that. How about WotLK, which offered Northrend? That wasn't much bigger.

I can tell you why you didn't hear any whining about that. Because what you are saying is not even close to be true. An average TOR planet is something like 1-1.5 of an average WoW zone of any expansion. BC had 7 such zones, WotLK had 8.

Next time, get your facts straight before posting please.

Good to hear thanks.

To everyone that played WoW, think of Makeb like "Northrend" or "Pandaria". If there is as much to do on Makeb as there was on those two continents in WoW, then this is definately an expansion (plus we have 5 levels). :cool:

Don't know about you, but i can't think of Tatooine or Corellia alone like of an entire continent, which consists of 7-8 zones being equal to at least 5-6 TOR planets.

In general, i was expecting to see something like what the community manager said in this thread, so not shocked or surprised. But still disappointed. Oh well, i knew what sort of company i'm dealing with.

Edited by Trollokdamus

There is no definition of an EXPANSION. It can be whatever the developer deems it to be.

Its YOUR job as a consumer to decide if the price and model fit your budget and "demands" for enjoyment.

EA has decided how to model the game. Accept reality or get out. Up to you.