Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

Insta-money without any sale of a product or service associated with it is like a Deathstar that shoots inflation missiles. Doubly-so in a game economy where rapid inflation is inevitable as long as the game is popular.

It wasn't insta-money by any means necessary.

The dev's and even the posted explanation of the skill says it was designed so you weren't going to have to play the GTN. It was a skill made made for people who didn't want to grind crafting skills or run around the world having to grind up a gathering skill.

Your premise is completely off here. I'm sure you know all that though and are just trying to fan flames.

Don't be pissed that you lost your easy button. Be happy that you took advantage of it when you could but that they killed it before it ruined the game.

Only the people who set up 'farms' had an easy button. Too bad so many other crafting imbalances were worse than this one and they ignored though so the economy could be messed up.

You're not supposed to make money from mission skills without selling or doing stuff. That's the concept.

Repeating incorrect information doesn't make it right. There's plenty of proof of this already in posts throughout this thread. So, no, not the concept.

You make money as you go harvesting safes.

Which is one additional way to obtain money other than missions.

And you can use it to get augments and missions.

Which only happen sometimes, when you get a crit, which like with OTHER crafting professions is considered a BONUS. Plus, augments don't really sell from most reports.

That you can get lockboxes even at a slight loss is awesome.

Losing money on a successful mission is awesome? If you feel that way about it I have this bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you really cheap. I'm taking a slight loss mind you, but you seem like a bright, upstanding citizen of the galaxy...

Successful missions shouldn't reward you with a loss. That is just silly.

It's a very cheap and effortless way to level the skill that won't negate profit from cracking safes.

Which pretty much all the other professions can do as well from doing their missions as well, this really isn't a point. It's not unique.

Unless of course all you intended to do with that character was farm credits with it.

which was supposed to be a viable choice according to how it was advertised.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW most people are saying that other gathering missons can reward you with mats that sells less than misson cost. Here is the catch geniouses, you get mats from missons yes real crafting mats that can be used in crafting skills. In slicing we literally pay money to LOSE money. we can't use credits for anything else. I could start to give 500 - 600 credits every hour, it'll be the same thing.

So in my opinion, slicing should not make you hutt level rich in a day but it shouldn't suck your money neither. Each succesful misson at least reward you with same amount of credits you pay for the misson. Anything else is failure in my eyes.

About the profit, %15 - %30 profit is more than enough (only with missons) and a lil increased crit ratio (or useful augments) would make this skill worthwhile again.

I posted this in another slicing related thread a few days ago, but it was buried in short order, so just to throw it out there I will re-post it. I offered up a potential change to slicing that may adjust it to be more in line with other skills, figuring people could offer insight and maybe someone at Bioware would think on it. It probably isn't a new idea but here goes anyways.

Remove the lock box missions or the money from the lock boxes and instead replace them with missions. The level of the mission would/could vary on the level of the mission being "sliced". So a rank 6 will return a 340 mission(blue or purple on a crit) assuming no fail. Rank 5 300ish etc so on down.

This gives slicing a viable means of money making that relies on the GTN (and removes the completely random "oh look i procced a 150 diplomacy dark side mission with my level 6 abundant lock box mission") like all the other skills, and more importantly scales WITH the economy instead of the economy scaling with slicing. The more people trade skilling the more demand for the materials obtained through missions, the more they will sell for. On the opposite side, the easier they are to get the lower the prices will be, further enabling other crafters to be able to afford to gather mats to work the skills and make new gear.

Of course, this all assumes Bioware doesn't intend for the higher level trade skills to be absurdly random or very difficult/rare. Cause right now, its random procs on RE made with random mats obtained from a random proc from a random mission. Mandalorian Iron for example can be insanely expensive. Too much randomness causes too much frustrations, specially when someone spent 45k for that mission and got 6 of the wrong type of material.

Im sure there is a problem with some of it, but it could be a start if nothing else maybe.

Remove the lock box missions or the money from the lock boxes and instead replace them with missions. The level of the mission would/could vary on the level of the mission being "sliced". So a rank 6 will return a 340 mission(blue or purple on a crit) assuming no fail. Rank 5 300ish etc so on down.

This gives slicing a viable means of money making that relies on the GTN (and removes the completely random "oh look i procced a 150 diplomacy dark side mission with my level 6 abundant lock box mission") like all the other skills, and more importantly scales WITH the economy instead of the economy scaling with slicing. The more people trade skilling the more demand for the materials obtained through missions, the more they will sell for. On the opposite side, the easier they are to get the lower the prices will be, further enabling other crafters to be able to afford to gather mats to work the skills and make new gear.

Wouldn't work, it would flood the market with them, collapsing prices. And also the prices of rares. It would also mean the time to do missions would have to double (matching the augment times), which would suck for leveling up. And even then, the quantity of missions it would dump on the market would be huge.

It is also unnecessary. Slicing has an item to sell on the GTN already in augments.

Now, yes, there isn't much of a market for augments, but that is because crits are so freaking rare for crafters. The goods to take the augments simply aren't there. And because the goods the other crafters make that don't have the augments are pretty much equal to drops, nobody really seeks out crafted gear.

Fix the crafted items so they get crits 25% of the time or more when you craft using a 10k affection companion. It'd help the other crafts and improve the market for augments.

Edited by Battilea

Insta-money without any sale of a product or service associated with it is like a Deathstar that shoots inflation missiles.

No.

The credits added to the circulation from Slicing missions is entirely insignificant compared to even the most basic mission rewards, let alone vendor thrash drops.

Slicing was supposed to be for people who didn't want to craft or grind dailies for money...

"Slicing – a skill in accessing secured computer systems and lockboxes to acquire valuable data and rare schematics"

Why would you pay someone 800 credits to go get you 400 credits? How is that success?

Oh, and when they crit, they bring back 300 creds and a freaking schematic NO ONE WILL BUY ON MY SERVER!

I'm not sure.. Wasn't slicing boosted and the nerf (partially) removed? I know I've been sending my companions slicing every since I had my ship bot, and ever since the beginning it has been some small cash, but constant.

At first 100-200 credits per mission, eventually 300-400 now. It's nothing *major* but it's a constant cash flow. Plus, the missions of course. Third epic mission I'm selling (not level 50) for 22k+ and the blue ones go from between 1k to 3k.

I'm currently 28, slicing at 328, and have 200k with 25k spent on more inventory room and 48k for my speeder.

The more companions I'll have, the more missions I'll send them, the more rewards I'll reap as I level up. So far I'm only sending my ship bot and Mako only goes if I'm idling over the Fleet or doing a FP.

Update: Level 33 now. 450k. Have for 150k worth in missions in the GTN. Maxed Slicing.

It's not the one million credits people were boasting of having but, level 33. Every quest starts giving more and more and now I have two companions I can send out while questing with Mako.

The *lockboxes* sometimes don't pay their missions. Sometimes they even fail. Usually they give between 200 to 500 credits of profit. And of course, once in a while epic missions that sell between 20k to 25k. I got one who went for 50k.

Currently have six epic missions on sale.

yeah right, lol! And I have a bridge to sell u too guy!

I believe him. I've done it. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the only reason it took him 3 hours was because he was taking his own sweet time about it. Of course, like me, he probably doesn't rely on missions and actually gathers nodes.

I believe him. I've done it. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the only reason it took him 3 hours was because he was taking his own sweet time about it. Of course, like me, he probably doesn't rely on missions and actually gathers nodes.

Pure bull.

Fact is, the missions have become a crap shoot, and anyone who tries to say otherwise at this point is extremely lucky (you should be in Vegas) or lying through their teeth. You send your four or five companions out on slicing missions and you MAY turn a profit. You MAY lose money, this is the way it's been for me all this past week. I've struggled "up" a tiny bit, but in keeping careful records of "Pay X amount to send out 5 companions to slice, and receive Y in credits in return," an up and down pattern is what I've seen.

sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. All in all a fairly crappy system by itself, but I guess that's what BW wants right now. You only make money for sure by getting out there and harvesting nodes as well...you know, like every other crew skill?

No more just logging into your high-level slicing characters, sending your crew out on missions, then logging out and raking in the dough. Those days are gone.

So, I'm going to take my level 50 and start trolling the hell out of the level 45 planet for nodes.

If this is the way BW wants it, they need to make it easier to "crit" and get those missions, otherwise they are likely to dry up as fewer and fewer slicers are willing to take the risk to lose money for getting them.

Edited by LawAngel

Missions really spoiled people, that is all. If we had no missions it would be 'you take tailoring, you make a profit by making clothes and selling them. You take herbalism, you make money by going around and picking the nodes'.

Makes sense. But thanks to missions people want to pick their nodes without moving... *and* pick the nodes as they level.

So yeah, I guess I'm one of the 'full of bull persons'. Been sending my bot to slice ever since I got him while I quest with Mako. Now I'm sending him and Gault. If you look above you'll see my post where I had 200k at level 28, and 450k at 32. Now I'm at 500k and still got 100k+ on missions waiting to be bought over the GTN.

Notice how I doubled my cash in 5 levels? At this rate I'll hit one million by level 40, who knows?

I'll post here again at 40 before spending my credits on the second speeder.

Of course this is a pittance compared to pre-nerf. But ffs, 500k at level 33? How much more do you need?

Well on my server Zym i cant give my missions away i literally vendered about 20 maybe more missions after trying for the past 3 days to sell them on the AH at the end i was trying to sell em for way below default price i got more from vendering them then from what i tryed to sell em at Edited by keepster

I've made a ton of money on my alt that took slicing as a skill. He has 500k credits at lvl 30. My main had about 5k credits at lvl 30 after buying his first speeder and speeder skill.

Slicing is still an awesome skill. If you're not getting rich off of it, you're doing it wrong.

Pure bull.

I'm pulling in about 30k every 2 hours at lvl 33 just on taris. And those nodes aren't worth as much as the later ones. Just because YOU aren't pulling in 70k every 3 hours like those guys are doesn't mean they aren't doing it.. it just means you aren't.

I will say this much, if they expect us to make most of our money gathering nodes, then they need to fix all the damn broken nodes that we can't harvest. 5 out of the last 6 I've come across on Correlia have been underground.

You don't even have to pick nodes to make money through slicing. Just max out the skill by running missions that give a tiny profit, then wait for crits on Tier 5 and 6 missions. My alt is L32 and has 800k, every dime made from slicing (apart from regular quest rewards etc). Sure, it helps to be on a vivid server so you can sell those 340 missions and purple augs for a nice penny.

Wether this is in line with how BW figured the skill would work or not, is a totally different matter.

slicing proff is just way too bad atm, i am losing more money than i am getting bk as rewards, if this is how bw plans to keep this prob, i might aswell delete this profession, and they should atleast care to reply about this obvious bad nerf instead of draging this on for months, say if u plan to do something about this b-**** so i can get on with deleting this proff or keep it Edited by Lordkin

I took Slicing for the first time, on my Jedi Knight. T7 has a Slicing +Critical, and, honestly, without that boost, Slicing would be useless.

90% of the Slicing nodes I have found on Coruscant have been completely unusable, they're there, but can't be interacted with. And, on missions, I have lost money every time except two, unless I crit the mission. The "reward" is simply pitiful. You do not get a reasonable reward for the expenditure. Remove lockboxes from the loot list, or make the lockboxes gear lockboxes, or increase the money they return. Right now, the lockbox missions are useless, and the unharvestable nodes means that you basically get zero use out of this skill unless you really want 50,000 Augments.

Total Missions: 155

Total Cost: 233675

[snip]

Total Reward: 303840

[snip]

Missions which lost money: 54

Missions which gained money: 101

Pretty ridiculous that a third of missions lose money. Just turns into a time sink. 63 CPM is very sad when one is not level 10.

Shouldn't you include the opportunity profit of all the schematics you discovered that you could sell?

Isn't it a bit ridiculous that you can make all this money through the simple sending out and collecting of the results of missions? Plus the extra profit from the schematics that would involve you hitting the GTN like other gathering crew skills require you to do to make money?

What does it matter that sometimes you lose money (or even fail) if the averages are so positive?

I dropped slicing a few days ago in lew of Diplomacy to go with Biochem/Bioanaly since I hit 50 and started doing the Belsavis/Ilum dailies. One daily will net you more than all 5 companions going out and you hoping for a lucky crit for a plan you can sell (hopefully not Cybertech, got about 35+ in my cargo hold...). It's just not worth it anymore.