Phase Walk alternative

Botho

Project Storm sounds like the coolest of them all, so my vote goes there :p

My first character was a sage so naturally I've been wanting to use this since I first saw it (I think finishing Alderaan) and I would love to be able to use the ability, just because it looks so cool. Maybe they could change Legacy Project to Legacy Project Storm. I would not be mad at all about that.

Edited by rhinoceroseosei

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone considered phase walks use for dps as a gap-closer? example: dash'roode, have it in the spot you plan to dps in and when you get knocked back, portal back. now this becomes a bit pointless when to put down phasewalk it requires a cast time/global cooldowns so once the fight starts as of now its impossible to reapply unless theres a lull in combat, even then probably not worth it.

i propose to keep the cast time the same, increase the duration, and not get consumed when used, but instead puts the teleport on a relative cooldown to something such as force leap. ie for dash'roode, every time you get knocked back, you port back and the node remains there (this would be perfect to implement a buff based on technique), rinse and repeat til the boss moves, then you take a few seconds while the boss is positioning to reapply the node.

this general concept may be easier to apply by switching phasewalk into two abilities as someone had suggested, 1 to place and 1 to port.

ANYWAY i was wondering if anyone thought this use of phase walk as a gap closer is anything viable, id think it could work for any boss where frequent knockbacks are a problem.

The problem is that you can only really use it once or twice due to the cast time and cd. If the ability was split as suggested so many times before it would be much more viable. Your suggestion pretty much is the split idea.

The problem is that you can only really use it once or twice due to the cast time and cd. If the ability was split as suggested so many times before it would be much more viable. Your suggestion pretty much is the split idea.

i suppose i was just organizing my thoughts and the thoughts of others that iv'e agreed with through text ^.^ but the main part of the post that got lost in my rambling was that i was wondering if anyone had considered phase walk as not only an escape but a way to get back to a target as well, which would only actually work under some of the circumstances that i wrote.

i was wondering if anyone had considered phase walk as not only an escape but a way to get back to a target as well, which would only actually work under some of the circumstances that i wrote.

It's been discussed, but it's not practical. As a gap closer, it's on an insanely long CD and only functions as such when you're closing a gap to a location that you're already at and can predict where it will be. You could get more out of Force Speed than you do out of Phase Walk, as a gap closer since the only way that you might *need* to get further than where Force Speed gets you is if you're having to get to somewhere you haven't been over the course of the entire fight.

Yeah, Phase Walk as gap closer as explained is really pointless since Force Speed already fills that functionality, much better to boot.

Phase Walk as escape is pointless since Force Cloak already fills that functionality, again, much better.

What function DOES Phase Walk perform. Well I hear there's a skill that makes it's mark heal. Kinda nog the point, but it's better than every single other user of the ability gets... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Phasewalk certainly feels incomplete currently, especially in the tanking tree. We can provide a bonus to healing but rarely have a realistic time at which to deploy it.

I'd like to see it become a targeted ability along the lines of the Operative/Scoundrel AOE heal. The activation time would still make it costly to use, but in return it would provide some much-needed utility (and mobility -- bringing shadows and Guardians closer to parity in that department). It would also be thematically compelling: a Shadow erects his 'shelter' from 30m away, then appears at an ally's side. This would be a boon to DPS as well as tanks, giving them more options for getting into and out of melee range.

Edit: grammar

Edited by sensicalOxymoron

Phase Walk is useful and it is one of the strongest abilitys sin tanks currently have.

You mean the Phase Walk talent. You're calling the ability good and disregarding that all the benefits you laud are due to a talent.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an idea of which Phase Walk could be modified:

Move Phase Walk Talent down to Tier 1/2 of the Tank/Infil Tree, and rename it "Phase Walk Specialization."

Phase Walk Specialization: Reduces the Cast Time of Phase Walk to 0.25s (so you can't cast it in the air). Phase Walk Specialization gives off an effect to those that stand within 5 meters of the teleport point, which changes depending on which stance you are in:

• Combat Technique - Increases the Damage Reduction of friendlies by 5%.
  • Force Technique - Increases the Damage of friendlies by 5%
  • Shadow Technique - Raises the Stealth Level of friendlies in the zone by 5 (cloaks those who stand inside).

I thought the +Stealth Level was nice for those in Shadow Technique because Infil Shadows could use it as a "distraction point" (enemies will go after it, thinking there's someone inside). I mean, we could put any kind of abilities in each of the stance bonuses:

+Healing Received (Friendlies)

+Healing Dealt (Friendlies)

+Damage Dealt (Friendlies)

-Damage Dealt (Enemies)

Reveal Stealthed creatures (enemies)

Trap that roots

... the list goes on and on.

Edited by zImperium

• 3 months later...

Just bumping this since the 2.5 changes are PRETTY horrible, BW dislikes us Balance Shadows (yes, I exist!) apparently, and every shadow I see ingame, every shadow HERE, only cares about the tanking.

So much talk about the tanking, next to no-one ever cares about us poor DPS.

Fact still is a lot of our issues with sub-par performance could probably be resolved if we, like other classes, got a PROPER power at 52. No skill changes, no power changes, no remakes, just... a useful skill at 52 instead of this abomination. Give it a try BioWare.