Why is there 2 NA servers? This isn't brain surgery.

CrazyTough

Simple. PVP queue times are slowing to a crawl. Ranked PVP queue times are almost non existent. Both servers are out of the same east coast facility. Why are you splitting a player base that isn't large enough to fill one server much less 2? I don't get your logic.

When Harbinger was at its peak it had 6-8 instances of imperial fleet and 4-5 instances of republic fleet every night at peak play time. Sateele Shan is in dire straights and has become more or less of a ghost town even during peak times. SF is a bit better, but having 1-2 instances of fleet peak time its not doing that much better.

Swallow your pride bioware and merge the dam servers. It very frustrating to watch how you people handle this game.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple. PVP queue times are slowing to a crawl. Ranked PVP queue times are almost non existent. Both servers are out of the same east coast facility. Why are you splitting a player base that isn't large enough to fill one server much less 2? I don't get your logic.

When Harbinger was at its peak it had 6-8 instances of imperial fleet and 4-5 instances of republic fleet every night at peak play time. Sateele Shan is in dire straights and has become more or less of a ghost town even during peak times. SF is a bit better, but having 1-2 instances of fleet peak time its not doing that much better.

Swallow your pride bioware and merge the dam servers. It very frustrating to watch how you people handle this game.

The player base was larger at one point and two servers were required. Not only to avoid lag, but to house two very different play styles. PVE and RP people tended to find Star Forge to be home and had no desire to interact with the more pvp oriented Satele Shan.

As always happens, the PVP based server's population peeters out and wants to merge for pops. What's to say there will be more pvp pops, when you merge with a server where people aren't interested in pvp? I don't think you'll see much if any improvement. It'll only serve to annoy and inconvenience people again for little if any benefit to pvpers.

So I can see this devolving into a hateful finger pointing mess again, with pvpers wanting a merge for pops, everyone else be damned, while rp'ers and pvers won't want a merge. Inevitably it will happen, I suppose that they will merge them at some point, but if Star Forge's atmosphere is ruined, how many will leave then? I saw first hand how pvpers treated rper's and pvers after the merge on SF. Heck they tried to shoo us off our own server. I really don't want to be treated like a second class citizen on my own server again.

Edited by Lunafox

Yes, their metrics indicate the servers are alive and healthy! If you think queues are slow you are delusional!

Can't speak for PvE FP queu's, since I only do those rarely with a guild group, but I haven't had any issue's getting unranked WZ pops on either US server. Rankd I wouldn't know about, since I won't touch ranked PvP.

Edited by Toraak

The player base was larger at one point and two servers were required. Not only to avoid lag, but to house two very different play styles. PVE and RP people tended to find Star Forge to be home and had no desire to interact with the more pvp oriented Satele Shan.

As always happens, the PVP based server's population peeters out and wants to merge for pops. What's to say there will be more pvp pops, when you merge with a server where people aren't interested in pvp? I don't think you'll see much if any improvement. It'll only serve to annoy and inconvenience people again for little if any benefit to pvpers.

So I can see this devolving into a hateful finger pointing mess again, with pvpers wanting a merge for pops, everyone else be damned, while rp'ers and pvers won't want a merge. Inevitably it will happen, I suppose that they will merge them at some point, but if Star Forge's atmosphere is ruined, how many will leave then? I saw first hand how pvpers treated rper's and pvers after the merge on SF. Heck they tried to shoo us off our own server. I really don't want to be treated like a second class citizen on my own server again.

Agreed. Though you were probably a bit nicer than I was when that happened. Depending on my mood and how hateful they were I told them they didn't like the roleplayers or pveres then there is the damn door don't let it hit them in the backside. I am not very nice or patient when people try to tell me what I can or can't do on a game that I pay for.

Translation:-

I am not getting what I want and as a PvP'er you know I am the most importantist person on the server so gimmie what I want, I don't care how many other play-styles it destroys

I WANT IT, WANT IT, WANT IT, WANT IT WANT IT!!!!!!!!

I saw on Dm server what happened after the last merge .and trust me, things didn't go any better.

Tomb of Freedon Nad had merge all the PVP servers from first merge happened at 2012

Red Eclipse all the PVE servers

and another one ( I don't remember the RP server ) all the RP servers

After the second merge ?

All these people , merged to Darth Malgus server.You know what happened? Ask the pvpers...

Groups in reg wzs , mixed with RPers and Pvers most of them didn't had a clue whats going on and how tactics must be versus premades.The results ?

Escept 2-3 guilds in entire server , all the others still don't bother with objectives in wzs ..they just get lured and try to kill ..nothing else ..like I see lemmings go to a battle without propose!

You try to explain them what they can do ..and they don't know even when to stun.:eek:

For me there only solution : Make a new PvP server and let all who love pvp go there ..so have some good competition and people who care and use brains.

And leave the others to other server to enjoy the game with its contest. But that to happen you must have the proper player base to do it .And now is too late for that ..because you don't have the proper community you has 7 years ago.

RIP

Edited by Darias

I am not very nice or patient when people try to tell me what I can or can't do on a game that I pay for.

There's 7 billion people on this planet and 99.999999999999999999 (more 9's ad nauseum) % of them are single mindedly obsessed with what everyone *ELSE* "should" and "shouldn't" be doing.

Gets tiresome.

They should just cut their losses and stop all PVP development, and do everything else they can to drive that segment of the community away. Imagine how much nicer the community would get...

Obviously not sensible, but that is exactly what the merge happy PVPers are trying to do with their continuous war drums. Never mind anyone else, ME! ME! ME!

One server per data centre I say. Seeing as how you are all ok with a single data centre you should be content with one server as well. Either that or re-introduce your second data centre. i would argue that having two servers for just the east coasters is pretty greedy.

Maybe a lot of ranked pvpers are actually focused on gearing 1st?

The more likely scenario given the content just released. Also some pvpers pve as well and could just be taking a pvp break with the new pve stuff. Considering the number of instances on Ossus server populations isnt the issue

Edited by Suzsi

As for the attitude towards the pvp community by the RP and PVEers; you lot are exactly the same when it comes to the ME ME ME attitude. You clearly could not give a damn if the entire pvp community was removed from the game. Shame on you for advocating that one player demographic has no new content while you reap the rewards for yourselves. As a pvper I have never advocated that Bioware stop putting out story content or PVE content just because I don't participate in it. Yes you are right, the pvp community has some toxic a**holes in it. From what I have seen though the PVE community is no different. Undesirable people infest every single demographic of this game. Grow some thick skin and utilize that ignore button; that's what it's there for.

One server per data centre I say. Seeing as how you are all ok with a single data centre you should be content with one server as well. Either that or re-introduce your second data centre. i would argue that having two servers for just the east coasters is pretty greedy.

Its fairly toxic how some of these "pve rp's" act. Judging by the nasty attitude they exhibit here I can understand more of why this game is in the condition that its in.

Having said that I would not have any issue with having 2 split servers if this game had cross server pvp ques. Unlike these vile responders in this thread, I understand that its not a fun thing to go thru a server merger for a lot of the community. I'm not un sympathetic towards the inconvenience it causes everyone. However not having a cross server queue system is not my fault. And unfortunately for me and a large part of this games community that little fact is a huge inconvenience when server populations drop like they recently have in this game once again.

All I am saying is that we are at a cross roads in the current condition of this game. Either we inconvenience everyone briefly for a server merge and restore some balance with what is left of a shrinking player base or we just leave it alone, not address it and watch 2 server populations dissolve rapidly from the lack of a brief inconvenience.

Do not get mad at me because this game has a queue system designed pvp system without a cross server system. Its not my fault. Your taking your anger out on the wrong person. I'm just saying there is a way to bandage that wound of not having a server to server system by merging the last of only 2 east coast servers.

There is no reason to split the player base at this point. Both servers are east coast and out of the same server base location. This honestly isn't brain surgery like I said in my title. At this point its just people being stubborn, planting their feet in the ground and mindlessly saying NO. Both players and developers. There is no other logic aside from that.

Er, what? You think *we* had a choice? The devs didn't even tell the playerbase that the servers were both going to be on the east coast until after it was done and a lot of people were and still are very unhappy with it.

But hey, thanks for calling the NA players greedy for something we had absolutely no say in.

Once again you are the voice of reason. I play on Star Forge and when the merge happened RPers were treated very poorly. I do not RP but I found myself defending them in chat. As for pvp que times being slow it is also the time of year where people are spending time with their families and going on vacations. I playin a guild that regularly has 30 plus people on and we have about half that right now due to it being the holidays and people doing other stuff. Slow pops do not necessarily mean low population numbers.

They should just cut their losses and stop all PVP development, and do everything else they can to drive that segment of the community away. Imagine how much nicer the community would get...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but gamers in general are toxic. It's not "PVPers" or "PVE'ers" it's people and not one type is worse than the other.

In fact the most toxic, nasty, greedy awful community I ever been a part of was a solely PVE sector on EQ1. The raid scene was hands down by far the most toxic and disgusting show of human beings I ever seen on a game.

Are pops down because of population, or lack of interest in the group activities? I suspect it's lack of interest that's the main problem, which means mergers will do nothing to help the que's.

That and there is still a lot of lag in the game. Every update Bioware adds new 'better' graphics that slow down my game. The lowest graphics settings today are much higher than the lowest settings you could use five years ago.

Ossus is crowded, and I'm not the only one who complains about the lagfest that is the World Boss hunts. Add that to the problems with the lag in PvP, and I suspect server merges will make the problem worse, which means even less people playing the group content.

They should have left the West Coast server up on the West Coast, but it's too late now to change that.

(Before someone says 'just upgrade your computer'; I'm not upgrading to play an 8 year old game. I have plenty of other games in my backlog that work fine.)

SS has been pretty empty up until 5.10 announce. Lot of people coming back and moving around. Regardless if SF is where the "RPers" are, they still PvP, I see it first hand all the time. Along with that, there's some that enjoy it also. Not every RPer is the same and on top of that. There's quite a few that pvp in general that just happen to be there because it's the more lively server. Also JC and SL brought a lot more PvPers in general to SF, so having what little is left on SS merged to isn't going to make a difference imo.

I see no downfalls for merging outside of lag if the servers can't handle all the players.

PvP queues, or lack of, are a symptom. In order to get gear everyone has to run Ossus dailies for a couple months regardless of playstyle. It isn't necessarily a shrinking population, there is, but more of where the population is at. The devs, in their usual short-sighted glory, have forced a gear grind to extend subscriptions at the expense of everything else.

Eventually one will close down. They knew this when they settled on having two in one location. This game will continue to scale down like an aging theme park. The Flashpoint tilt a wheel is already getting dangerous to ride and a few of the Operations Roller Coasters have had lanes close down. The guild ship haunted house is still terrifying, visiting ships that have sat dormant chock full of past conquest decos covered in cobwebs is sure to still send a chill down anyone's spine. Feel free to add to this as I've lost interest in the long load screen.

Do not get mad at me because this game has a queue system designed pvp system without a cross server system. Its not my fault. Your taking your anger out on the wrong person. I'm just saying there is a way to bandage that wound of not having a server to server system by merging the last of only 2 east coast servers.

There is no reason to split the player base at this point. Both servers are east coast and out of the same server base location. This honestly isn't brain surgery like I said in my title. At this point its just people being stubborn, planting their feet in the ground and mindlessly saying NO. Both players and developers. There is no other logic aside from that.

I'm not mad at you pal. I'm mad at Bioware for leaving two servers in one location. Two servers would be fine if they were based in different locations (ie one in California and the other in Virginia). As it is now we have two servers in the same location because Bioware did not have the balls to have one server for fear that it would not be able to take the strain of all the NA players. At the same time they were not prepared to pay for two data centres so they put both servers on the east coast of North America which is straight up the worst decision I have ever seen. I have never asked for a damn merge in the past to "boost queue pops." Merging to boost queue pops is an idiotic short term solution that pleases a few and alienates a lot. At THIS stage however I agree with you; they may as well have one server for North America. It's not what I would prefer, but if cost cutting is the only way forward they may as well go all the way with it.