Dark side choices...how do you feel about them?

Cassynova

Rather too often the difference between light/dark side options is very simple.

let them live = light side

kill them = dark side

I wish there was a bit more variety than that.

As to feeling bad about dark side choices, yeah I have that. I am partial to villains for many different reasons, too deep to explain here. So I have thoroughly enjoyed going through most of the evil options available to me. There are cases that made me feel genuinely bad about what I did, (part of the thrill why I like playing villain).

For example, mistreating Vette who is cute and has done nothing wrong, just for the fun of it.

There are some cases where a NPC helped me over a course of planetary storyline, over multiple missions. There is sometimes a chance to reward this dedication by killing them. "You have outlived your usefulness". (propably what the 'treachery' part meant in inquisitor trailer etc dev stories about inqs).

Killing a nameless nobody you just met has less emotional impact than killing someone you know, especially someone who has done nothing to deserve that fate. So whether I feel bad about something, it depends on the events leading up to that situation. I can say that there are plenty such cases in SWTOR, which makes it great. Writers seem to understand how to work the player.

Bioware doesnt always succeed in this though. For example, the events that lead to the title "heartless" on the characters who start at Hutta. It would have been better to hear the Evocii talk about what they tried to accomplish, before you crush their efforts.

Edited by Karkais

i was not able to make that choice, i decided to disable them, but the guy escaped, i think it was a light side choice i did....was not worth the sacrifice for my agent

Given what she knew about him and his plans, letting him go seemed like nothing short of madness. He was a monster. It was worth bringing him down at any cost. It was a terrible decision to have to make, though, and it haunts her.

Just finished Nar Shaddaa (NS) on my Sith Inquisitor. I'm all out DS.

A guy interrupted my meeting with my followers with a message from the rival sith; he was apologizing profusely for interrupting, and I just electrocuted him. It was kinda 'out of nowhere' moment but fit my character.

Edited by geulsae

i mostly first and foremost pick what i think i would do in that situation, the first week or so of playing thats what i did, but when i found out that going lighter or darker affected the equipment and stuff then i started puring the light side choices.

Given what she knew about him and his plans, letting him go seemed like nothing short of madness. He was a monster. It was worth bringing him down at any cost. It was a terrible decision to have to make, though, and it haunts her.

yeah, at the time though I didnt realize that he would escape, i thought he would remain trapped in that force field. but he just escaped while I had to run around and shut everything down.... still think it was the right thing to do for that character though

Oh Gods, as soon as I got the game and rolled a Sith Warrior (Pureblood at that) I reveled in each dark side choice. All the choices were so juicy, delicious and exhilarating. I'm a good-natured person IRL and going berserk in a game is like a breath of fresh air. On my alts I just spacebarred, grabbing the DS choices for gear and because I tend to associate Empire as 'bad' in general.

Alderann:

Sith Warrior must (I forget)

CUTSCENE:

Sith Warrior smashes through two Republic Troopers in a cutscene, where the SW throws one on the wall and the other is sliced

SW then sticks lightsaber into the center of a door and the camera goes over to the inside where the main computer terminal is flashing from red to green, where Republic forces and some named NPCS discuss what they're going to do and how they will protect the General Organa (female)

SW blasts through door and has blasters shot at him, SW deflects the blasters and uses the force to rip out weapons out of the Pubs' hands into the large computer terminal, breaking it in a flash of light and electricity.

SW walks over to the Pubs, lightsaber in hand.

Discussion between General and SW about Jaesa Willsaam's parents (hey, I remembered) and the General refuses to give information.

The General's lover, apparently a Commander, from what I remember, steps in front of her and states something about him protecting her.

At this point I felt evil.

(Spoken words not remembered, but here's the dialogue choice)

SW: You'll Cave in. * Force Chokes the lover and puts him onto his knees onto the floor.

General: "I will not tell you." (or something like that... clear resistance is stated)

Camera shifts back to the SW choking the General's lover.

Camera then goes back to General.

"Ok ok! Please! Let him go! I'll tell you! (or something like that... she succumbs)

SW: Tell me now. *Continues choking the lover*

General then tells the location of Jaesa Willsaam's parents.

SW: Your usefulness is expended *Stops choking the lover and whips out his lightsaber* (Or something like this.... much more sadistic than what I stated... just don't remember clearly.)

SW then leaps around and chops through everyone, leaving everyone dead except the lover.

Lover: You killed her... you killed my lover. *Sob sob and all that and mourning*

Lover: I now have no reason to live... my life is just misery.

SW: Be left here to rot. (Or something... definitely not that... much more evil that THAT.)

So the SW leaves, with everyone except the lover sprawled out on the floor, whereas the lover is simply weeping away.

That is one of the things that made me feel slightly guilty and made me slightly afraid to sleep in fear that my SW will come for me. :eek:

LOVED IT!

I feel that some of the light side options for the sith should also be dark side. For instance, on a level you could betray the guy who infiltrates the hutts comm system or what ever, and secure the data for the empire. Letting him live should have been a dark side choice because it betrays the hutts, allow the empire more data on the republic etc... It confuses me sometimes, but light side/dark side points are darkside/lightside points, I am not picky. :cool: Edited by Randomane

Alderann:

Sith Warrior must (I forget)

CUTSCENE:

Sith Warrior smashes through two Republic Troopers in a cutscene, where the SW throws one on the wall and the other is sliced

SW then sticks lightsaber into the center of a door and the camera goes over to the inside where the main computer terminal is flashing from red to green, where Republic forces and some named NPCS discuss what they're going to do and how they will protect the General Organa (female)

SW blasts through door and has blasters shot at him, SW deflects the blasters and uses the force to rip out weapons out of the Pubs' hands into the large computer terminal, breaking it in a flash of light and electricity.

SW walks over to the Pubs, lightsaber in hand.

Discussion between General and SW about Jaesa Willsaam's parents (hey, I remembered) and the General refuses to give information.

The General's lover, apparently a Commander, from what I remember, steps in front of her and states something about him protecting her.

At this point I felt evil.

(Spoken words not remembered, but here's the dialogue choice)

SW: You'll Cave in. * Force Chokes the lover and puts him onto his knees onto the floor.

General: "I will not tell you." (or something like that... clear resistance is stated)

Camera shifts back to the SW choking the General's lover.

Camera then goes back to General.

"Ok ok! Please! Let him go! I'll tell you! (or something like that... she succumbs)

SW: Tell me now. *Continues choking the lover*

General then tells the location of Jaesa Willsaam's parents.

SW: Your usefulness is expended *Stops choking the lover and whips out his lightsaber* (Or something like this.... much more sadistic than what I stated... just don't remember clearly.)

SW then leaps around and chops through everyone, leaving everyone dead except the lover.

Lover: You killed her... you killed my lover. *Sob sob and all that and mourning*

Lover: I now have no reason to live... my life is just misery.

SW: Be left here to rot. (Or something... definitely not that... much more evil that THAT.)

So the SW leaves, with everyone except the lover sprawled out on the floor, whereas the lover is simply weeping away.

That is one of the things that made me feel slightly guilty and made me slightly afraid to sleep in fear that my SW will come for me. :eek:

LOVED IT!

That whole scene made me love the sith warrior but I killed everyone in the room including the lover.

I'm the biggest wimp in the universe. I can't even be mean in a game.:rolleyes: I have two siths and both are LS. They do have some DS points, but not many. *sigh* I just feel so guilty if I do something mean or murderous.

That means Bioware is good at writing. If the evil stuff wouldn't feel evil, this game would be just like any other MMO. Thats why I love SWTOR. I dont space thorugh conversations.

I just recently finished chapter 1 on my Sith marauder, and I just cant find words how awesome the instance that completes it was. SW did everything like a true sith, it all was perfect. Thank you Bioware! I urge everyone to play a warrior to lvl 30-31 and do it. It also has like 4 times the amount of dialog that a normal instance has. Well, of course the awesomeness may depend on your choices..

Sorcerer doesnt seem to get a shred of the awesomeness that is the sith warrior.. Sorcs are shafted in terms of story, in terms of companions, in terms of gear appearance..And these days also in terms of actual powers due to the nerfs. Too bad that my first character was a sorcerer and not a warrior..

Edited by Karkais

On my main character, my Imp Agent, I really just went ahead and did all light side. Why? Because I'm not into unnecessary violence and killing people just as a precaution. Avoid violence when possible, you know?

Dark side choices though, sometimes aren't really evil. DS choices appear to be the logical and necessary choices. LS choices are emotional/ righteous choices. I think the SWTOR team at Bioware got some help from the Mass Effect team. It's sort of like the Paragon/ Renegade system.

Edited by J-Slice

I have one character at the moment and other than one choice in Tython (the romance one) my shadow is pretty much light. Though to be honest there were a couple choices in Nar Shadda that she stopped to think about.

The dark choice I made in Tython was regarding the romance but I disagree with the romance view and I felt like I was spying as well so that dark choice felt right.

I actually find a lot of DS choices in the game to be extremely stupid. There are some exceptions that actually make sense, but most are either not tactically sound, or there is just no reason for it. I tried going DS at first with my SW, but decided to reroll because I was sick of feeling like a tool. I enjoyed the LS storyline for the SW quite a bit more, since I could be a "good guy" while still being an ******* to Baras and other NPCs that deserved it. :D

I'm generally dark side except for a few things that I think would help the empire in the long run if I pick the light side option.

The only regrets I have had were both on Balmorra

1. when I killed a whole lot of force users in some cave that weren't a threat and were just going to work on farms or something because they didn't know they had the force until they were to old or something.

2. When I told on an officer who got me to kill his wife because she cheated on him. I genuinely felt bad for the guy. His **** of a wife cheated on him (who I killed by the way) and now he is going to lose his job.

Mostly, they have been awesome. An exception that made me wince, & still regret is the Nar Shadaa Bonus Series. My Sorc was in the last stage of pushing the Republic off planet. To sharply discourage their return, this nasty operative or bounty hunter or wth he was suggested that we shoot down a Republic civilian transport trying to leave into space, was full of military families.

I gave the order. Khem loved it.....I almost immediately regretted it. Regretted killing that defenseless, cheating officer chick on Balmorra too. Other than that, cake.

The one thing that really bugged me was when the BH was trying to get a politicain infiltrator into the rebel ranks...and this guy is a pretty boy. The sith gives the option to punch him(dark side-to make sure it looks like he was tortured) or to leave it.

I chose darkside...becuase unless the republics are morons looking at a guy with a perfectly fine face that has been beaten by the imps would be a pretty big giveaway for an undercover agent.

It really depends on the situation.

Sometimes the Dark Side option is not tactically sound and seeing how I try to play my character as the machievellian type, I have made plenty of Light Side choices. I'm a Sith Warrior going into my 49th level and nearing the end of the class story and the most evil I've ever been is Dark I. Currently I'm neutral and plan to stay that way. And yet my character definitely is a bad guy, no doubt about it; he's just not a slave to his base urges.

On the other hand, sometimes the Light Side option is too weak or ineffective. Or even stupid - an example is the world story on Taris in which at the end you have the option to attack a rival Sith NPC who has been a constant torn at your side. This option is of course, Dark Side, but really - it's just common sense. The said NPC had clearly put me on her "To kill" list, so if I didn't attack her, she would have attacked me. If the Light Side demands I always turn the other cheeck and allow others to betray me, I don't want to do that. So I'm neutral and still keep my wits.

But it really depends on the situation. The only Dark Side choice I recently regretted was on Corellia, where I

killed the board of directors of the CEC. Aside from the main corporate head man, the others were snivelling, afraid and totally defenceless. But their boss left me with no choice. I gave him a chance to surrender and he threw it in my face, saying how the CEC should stand up against us. At this point, this was the death sentence. Not because I was angry at him, but because he just wasn't going to cooperate and so it made no sense to spare him. Had he surrendered like Czerka did just before, I would have spared them. But noooo, you had to be a hero and defy a Sith in his face, did you, you brave, foolish man :(

On the other hand, sometimes the Light Side option is too weak or ineffective. Or even stupid - an example is the world story on Taris in which at the end you have the option to attack a rival Sith NPC who has been a constant torn at your side. This option is of course, Dark Side, but really - it's just common sense. The said NPC had clearly put me on her "To kill" list, so if I didn't attack her, she would have attacked me. If the Light Side demands I always turn the other cheeck and allow others to betray me, I don't want to do that. So I'm neutral and still keep my wits.

The only problem I have had with killing that person is

the stupid dialogue you say right before you do it. "You have outlived your usefulness," - really? That has never been the reason, or even close to the reason I have killed her. An option for "I really don't like you" or "I think you're crazy and too dangerous to leave running free around the galaxy" would have made me so much happier. The second one could even be cast as a light side choice, really - you're still killing her, but your motives are different.

I love the dark side choice, and I love just how dark some of them really are. Honestly it actually gets a bit difficult to level a full dark side character because eventually, you get to a point where your personal morality and your characters morality clash.

For the first time in a game, in a long long time, I actually felt like a horrible person for making a choice. it's a real credit to the writers, that they've crafted, such a complex moral system. Not everything blue is always 'good' and something a red choice is the best option you have...either way it's not an easy decision.

It's brilliant, and really keeps me int he game.

On my IA I am seeing some choices that I will spend quite a bit of time considering why I am taking the dark option.

The hardest choices I have found though are those where you take a choice and you can hear the horror in the voice of a later NPC. Maybe a relative of the person you just killed, maybe a guard who looks at what you have done and shows it in his voice.

IA chapter 1 spoiler:

Killing the son of the Military commander on Balmoral to get the holocron he is carrying that shows where an old lightsabre is hidden, the grief/anger/hate his father shows to then take the option of killing him too

or as a minor quest Injecting Quell into the water supply of the slaves on Kaas can get a response from the Imp Army guard that makes me feel ashamed.

The writers are doing a BRILLIANT job.

Edited by Bhaers