HK Bonus Chapter for KOTFE shouldn't be so exclusive

sdom

So I started in November and discovered because of this, I can't complete the HK-55 Bonus chapter of KOTFE.

This seems like false advertising to an extent as I was told upon subbing, I would be given access to every expansion.

There was no conditions to this as far as im aware, that meant every expansion in full.

It seems that's not the case with the shroud of memory quest at the end of the KOTFE.

And why? Why do people who did nothing spectacular, and only subscribed, get this chapter?

I plan to subscribe just as long. Its not as if they're special.

Yes there is another HK droid to grind but I want 55,

Since the devs aren't likely to be kindhearted and make it available at least put somethng in the CM that we can buy that allows us access to the final chapter,

Why would you make that content so exclusive what a waste of the developers efforts.

So I started in November and discovered because of this, I can't complete the HK-55 Bonus chapter of KOTFE.

This seems like false advertising to an extent as I was told upon subbing, I would be given access to every expansion.

There was no conditions to this as far as im aware, that meant every expansion in full.

It seems that's not the case with the shroud of memory quest at the end of the KOTFE.

And why? Why do people who did nothing spectacular, and only subscribed, get this chapter?

Since the devs aren't likely to be kindhearted and make it available at least put somethng in the CM that we can buy that allows us access to the final chapter,

Why would you make that content so exclusive what a waste of the developers efforts.

I would refer you to this thread, it was a timed exclusive.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=963712

The chapter was not associated to ANY story. You can easily search the other posts on the forum. This also was not an expansion, but a short bonus chapter for a subscriber who maintained a 6 month subscription when they were bleeding subs, and it was, in the advertisement, listed as exclusive. There is plenty of content in all MMOs that are exclusive, time limited content or items.

I would pay particular attention to the link I posted above as to the answer by a BW rep, they are trying to figure out a way to provide it (either by CM or whatever) but it will not happen in the short term.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

Very good post, thanks for that.

While it's true there is such a thing as exclusive content, i think the context behind HK needs considered. As we all know the HK series of droids were prominent in KOTOR, and a part of many a good childhood memories grinding the game,

KOTOR is responsible for a lot of the players who play today being SWTOR players, and I can't help feeling resentment I cant play what is definitively KOTOR based content just because I found the game later than other people.

Bioware needs to consider that people playing KOTOR as kids when it was first around, are just now becoming adults, myself included. There's an entire generation out there lying untapped as potential players that most likely could NOT sub before at these times.

Its not as if they market SWTOR very well. Its hidden you need to look for it.

So I feel that should really be considered.

I understand the need to be sensitive to "both sides" but why is there two sides. What reasonable reason is there for not wanting other players to have access to content. That's not an attitude that should be allowed consideration in my opinion.

It very may well have been marketed as exclusive but there is no mention of it when you subscribe you're supposed to get every expansion. Either we should or the description should be rectified to more accurately reflect the truth. I don't like missing out on what I thought I was entitled to.

It very may well have been marketed as exclusive but there is no mention of it when you subscribe you're supposed to get every expansion. Either we should or the description should be rectified to more accurately reflect the truth. I don't like missing out on what I thought I was entitled to.

Shroud of Memory (to give it its proper name) is Not. An. Expansion. You do, indeed, get all the expansions:

* Rise of the Hutt Cartel

* (Forged Alliances)

* Shadow of Revan

* (Rise of the Emperor)

* Knights of the Fallen Empire

* Knights of the Eternal Throne

* (the "Traitor arc")

* (Jedi Under Siege)

* (Not yet released) Onslaught.

The ones in (round brackets) are sorta kinda expansions. Example: Forged Alliances was available to anyone whose characters were high enough level to play the content, subscriber or not, when it released, whereas Shadow of Revan required an explicit purchase or a subscription to unlock the content.

Read the cited thread carefully and do some digging on the history of the game, and in particular this key point:

Shroud of Memory was a reward for subscribing(0) for six months and 20 days (11 Jan 2016 to 1 Aug 2016) without interruption at a time when lots of people were boasting about how they were going to unsubscribe from the release of KotFE Chapters I to IX until the release of all the remaining chapters to avoid paying during a time when only part of the story was available, and then resubscribe after Chapter XVI was released to get them all at once.(1)

I had subscribed earlier to get the subscriber benefits, and I stayed subscribed to not (temporarily) lose those benefits, so I got Shroud of Memory as a nice bonus, *but* some people have commented on the forums that they (stayed) subscribed specifically to get Shroud of Memory, and therefore got the subscriber benefits (including the abiltiy to play each of the chapters as it was released) as a nice bonus.

The key point about Shroud of Memory is that it is not in any way related to the main story. It takes place in a completely separate instance and does not feature your character except in a cameo at the very end. (To be honest, if you wanted to assign it a place in the story, it would be as an extension of the Macrobinocular mission series, not as a extension of KotFE.)

(0) You only had to subscribe. You weren't obliged to log in to the game.

(1) The temptation to refuse to release it more widely specifically to spite those people must be very strong.

Eric posted this on 8 May::

This conversation is certainly timely as it is a topic we have been revisiting internally as well. We have been actively talking about how, when, and if it would be possible to get make the HK chapter available again in some form. Whether that is a sub reward, sold on the market, etc.

Here is the thing we are trying to be sensitive to. Individuals who have it right now subbed for a number of months to get it and so if/when we bring it back, we need to make sure that we do it in a way that is fair to what they went through to get it. Ex: if it was a sub reward it would likely require multiple months of sub, or, if it was in the market it would be sold for a premium.

There is a lot of sensitivity on both sides. We agree that we would love to have a way for players who don't have it to get it (since it is story content, afterall). But it has to be done in a way that is fair to those who already have it. Let us know your thoughts (for, or against) and I can make sure all of your feedback is captured in our on-going discussion.

As a note I won't likely have an update on this in the short-tem, but as soon as I have any details I will pass them on.

-eric

During the last stream the "HK chapter" was brought up again. Below you can hear for yourself what was said but the gist is they definitely want to bring it back and while nothing is confirmed yet they would like to bring it back around 6.0.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/456998535?t=00h38m33s

I reply the same here as in all other threads about this topic.

Back then, this bonus chapter was the only reason why I kept my sub. I had cancelled my sub for the first time, because I was angry about how badly they handled the winter exploit that was going on for too long. And just a few days before my sub finally ran out, they made this special subscription offer: stay subbed for the next 6 months and get the bonus chapter and some shinies. That's why I renewed my sub after all.

From my point of view, I paid those 6 months subscription only for that bonus chapter. Sure, I also could continue playing the game. However, that would have been possible as F2P as well.

My feeling is thus that I wouldn't be happy if BW dumped the bonus chapter on the cartel market for a few Euros.

However, I also believe that the bonus chapter is too fun to keep it away from so many people.

My suggestion therefore still is to offer the bonus chapter on the cartel market for the price of 6 months subscription. That's not cheap. But at least it is an option. And players can decide for themselves whether it's worth it or not.

I don't say that this is the best solution. Or a good solution at all. I just say that this would be a solution that I would be OK with.

Very good post, thanks for that.

While it's true there is such a thing as exclusive content, i think the context behind HK needs considered. As we all know the HK series of droids were prominent in KOTOR, and a part of many a good childhood memories grinding the game,

KOTOR is responsible for a lot of the players who play today being SWTOR players, and I can't help feeling resentment I cant play what is definitively KOTOR based content just because I found the game later than other people.

Bioware needs to consider that people playing KOTOR as kids when it was first around, are just now becoming adults, myself included. There's an entire generation out there lying untapped as potential players that most likely could NOT sub before at these times.

Its not as if they market SWTOR very well. Its hidden you need to look for it.

So I feel that should really be considered.

I understand the need to be sensitive to "both sides" but why is there two sides. What reasonable reason is there for not wanting other players to have access to content. That's not an attitude that should be allowed consideration in my opinion.

It's harder to find out about this bonus chapter than this game, google: online or computer games - they've been around for decades (played EQ1 and EQ2 growing up - other peoples' ignorance and self-serving rationalizing shouldn't penalize or screw over veteran players who have been here since Beta/ Day 1 and kept the lights on throughout the ups and downs of this game).

The truth is you're NOT entitled to the bonus chapter or past sub rewards/ exclusive content because you just walked off the street and want it. I, like others here, kept a 6 month subscription for the sole purpose of getting the bonus chapter, when this game was in a deep recession/ content plunge. Just bc You Want It and You Want It-Now, don't think it shouldn't be a two-way street for people who stay subbed AND already have it.

Edited by Willjb

You mean ONLY PAID 6 MONTHS OF SUBSCRIPTION:rolleyes:

(which is about as long as you've been playing)

It's amazing what players will rationalize to try to get a shiny they know they don't rate, in the name of pseudo self-righteous entitlement.

"kindhearted" - you mean like screwing over veterans who paid 6 months of subscription, as if veteran players haven't been stripped of virtually EVERYTHING already that has been brought back and catered to new players or put up on Direct Sale for you're instant gratification and action-to-item pleasure for what USED TO COST HUNDREDS in Rep, that you apparently have taken for granted. Next, you'll be wanting a preorder crystal and a Founders title. Same old pattern for years - you're far from the first.

Edited by Willjb

It can be brought back, as I have encouraged it - AS LONG AS IT'S A TWO-WAY STREET.

Nico and Shae should be brought back occasionally, as they are in the opening cinematics - TRUE, and I been saying that for years, in favor of new players who DON'T have it; furthermore, same for Master Ranos for the have nots, in a new revamped DvL event, bring back for have nots HK-55... fine. Bonus chapter is at the limit - sub companions... fine. Veterans need to be compensated somehow, or no one is going to believe "exclusive" content is TRUELY exclusive, (since we're being "true" here,) for during times of game plunge when players stay subbed [solely] to get the shinies.

They can bring back ANY sub reward, from 2.0 on (it gets fuzzy prior), as long as players who already have it are compensated, FAIRLY. Pvp Ranked also has to put up ALL it's color crystals ever and all Ranked weapons on the Ranked Seasons vendor to adjust, as they shouldn't have the TRUELY ONLY EXCLUSIVE CONTENT, especially if my sub reward Black-Purple Striated color crystals:sy_star: & mounts & sub weapons & sub party jawa aren't exclusive anymore. Pvp Ranked had the Black-Blue Striated & Black-Silver Striated (the darkest crystal in the game, as we'll never see a Black-Black color crystal (that was on PTS) that players have been asking for in large numbers for many years) color crystals - REFLECTION OF FAIRNESS [THROUGHOUT] THE GAME.

Just don't act like you're entitled or somehow wronged or a victim for not paying the price during the promotions' time frames

(and expecting not to compromise or compensate - as you should thank veterans, given the long~ past history (which you weren't a sub) of firewalling it.)

Edited by Willjb

Check out the PTS. Come 6.0 it won't be, which is great no matter what the agument against it is. Though I imagine the next whine will be "Why is The Shroud of Memory authorization so many Cartel Coins!?" Edited by TyrFoge