The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Often times when I do group finder it's with two of my pals (I'm tanking, they are heal, dps) and we group finder a 4th dps. We're all in 78s, experienced raiders, etc. Just doing the weekly to get our CPU companions some more 78s and have fun.

Immediately after the group forms and we're in the flashpoint I give the 4th guy the business (well call the 4th guy Poor Sod for the generic purposes of the following dialog). Usually I start by saying

"Listen up Poor SoB... er Poor Sod"

"Listen up and Listen good because I'm only going to say this once"

and then I don't say anything.

Usually at that point they'll say something like "?"

and one of my pals will then say

"Jesus Christ dude he already told you once why are you causing problems?"

and the other one will say

"oh man I can't believe you said that after he had already told you once... We may have to vote kick this guy"

and then I'll say

"yeah. I've already told you once Poor Sod DON'T make me tell you again"

At this point about a 1/3rd of the time the 4th person leaves. Sometimes he'll put us on ignore in which case we vote kick him.

Then a 5 or so minutes in Poor Sod will ask a question or one of us will pull a second mob/3rd mob for excitement and well say

"gosh darn it Poor Sod why the hell did you do that? Pay attention dude you don't want me to have to tell you twice."

one time there was a guy in body type 3 (the fat one) that we kept telling "try to tag along fattie" or "I'm not sure this guy can do it I think he is too fat" during a jumping skip. He ended up reporting us and CSR gave us an excessive role play violation.

anyway if they tough it out they are treated to a clean run which is more than any group que'ing solo dps deserves. And we tell them to foward any complements or complaints to our guild master. (who gets really mad about it)

Edited by Hatstandard

Often times when I do group finder it's with two of my pals (I'm tanking, they are heal, dps) and we group finder a 4th dps. We're all in 78s, experienced raiders, etc. Just doing the weekly to get our CPU companions some more 78s and have fun.

Immediately after the group forms and we're in the flashpoint I give the 4th guy the business (well call the 4th guy Poor Sod for the generic purposes of the following dialog). Usually I start by saying

"Listen up Poor SoB... er Poor Sod"

"Listen up and Listen good because I'm only going to say this once"

and then I don't say anything.

Usually at that point they'll say something like "?"

and one of my pals will then say

"Jesus Christ dude he already told you once why are you causing problems?"

and the other one will say

"oh man I can't believe you said that after he had already told you once... We may have to vote kick this guy"

and then I'll say

"yeah. I've already told you once Poor Sod DON'T make me tell you again"

At this point about a 1/3rd of the time the 4th person leaves. Sometimes he'll put us on ignore in which case we vote kick him.

Then a 5 or so minutes in Poor Sod will ask a question or one of us will pull a second mob/3rd mob for excitement and well say

"gosh darn it Poor Sod why the hell did you do that? Pay attention dude you don't want me to have to tell you twice."

one time there was a guy in body type 3 (the fat one) that we kept telling "try to tag along fattie" or "I'm not sure this guy can do it I think he is too fat" during a jumping skip. He ended up reporting us and CSR gave us an excessive role play violation.

anyway if they tough it out they are treated to a clean run which is more than any group que'ing solo dps deserves. And we tell them to foward any complements or complaints to our guild master. (who gets really mad about it)

Troll much? Jeez, you ARE the Terror From the Beoynd; more specifically the group finder :p

Duran'del here:

I was playing as my Commando Healer(recently got him to 55) and got into a HM LI. Group members: Me, Sent, Guardian, Guardian.

Our tank asks, believe it or not, "Is this 55 or 50?"

I'm wondering why the tank would think there's a 55 version of this.

the second(DPS) Guardian was a guildmate, though I didn't realize this at first.

The first boss(droid) causes me and sent to die, and Guardian/Guildmat take it down(it was at ~40k). I get rezzed, and we continue on(my healing was rusty). Before Savrak, our tank claims to have done the FP "20 times". On savrak, we wipe and retry, doing it successfully the second time. We wipe on Lorik, due to SWTOR tabbing out. We retry and complete it successfully.

After the run, guildmate starts talking to me via guild chat.

Guildmate: "that tank wasn't the best. Thanks for the heals."

Me: "NP"

GM: "did you see his gear?"

Me: "no, i didn't."(at 55, I assume people know what they're doing, but you know what they say about assuming.)

GM: "It was half-DPS, Half-tank."

Me: "seriously?"

GM: "yeah."

I didn't put the tank on my ignore list, but, in hindsight, maybe I should've...

Bla bla bla too long.

Wow very experienced.

Many 78 gear.

Such fun.

Please stay pve and pve only. :o

We get queue pop for Mando 55 HM.. Me another dps , healer sitting there..Finally Tank zones in.

First thing out his mouth "50K each for this run or ill leave"

So we respond "are you serious?"

Tank "yes , you will wait for a long time to get a Tank"

Us " **** then" " leave then *****, lol" " dont forget to get rid of that alactrity enhancement once you get back to fleet *******"

.. So healer Operative, nicely geared with 72/78mix, pops Kaliyo out 39k health, we continue on and clear the FP..needless to say he was a dick.

lol, I wonder if the moron knows that you don't need a tank to beat these fps these days, you can easily do it with a comp. You only need a tank for the initial phase in, which he gave you, lol.

Yeah, I tend to not notice who guard is on until I get pasted and the tank is like "**** u suck at healing" and I'm like... "uh... can't heal you when I'm dead dude"

As long as the tank knows what he's doing at doesn't let me get pasted (and I do use my aggro dump power when necessary) I've never had a problem with healing and I have like 4 healers total.

I tried to run Athiss as a healer 3 times tonight. The first group we were a person short and had no real tank to speak of, so we got creamed pretty fast with the big boss fight. Everyone was cool, I didn't get any grief. We just didn't have the right type of players to be successful. However, the second and third groups peeved me off royal. Everything is fine until the big fight and I'm doing my best to heal the tank. But no matter what I do, I get caught up in some area attacks or swarmed by mobs and my heals get interrupted or I need to stop a sec and heal myself. Which means eventually the tank drops too low for me to catch him back up and he dies and blames me for not healing. Like I'm really just standing around watching the show and not trying my best? After getting grief from both groups I've decided to never do a flashpoint as a healer again. You don't get thanks when you keep everyone alive, and as soon as you're overwhelmed and everyone dies you're a pariah. I can't do my job when I'm being attacked by everyone, especially when those attacks knock me off my feet. Healing isn't instant! It takes time for me to cast those powers. But no one seems to get that.

So I'll go back to my solo campaign. I get along with all the NPCs just fine.

Recently, I am having a feeling that the Flashpoints have changed from an adventure to a race. This feeling occurs more and more as I am nearing the level 50 (so yeah, I am not as experienced as most of the experienced raiders here who write their gear in the first sentence just to make sure they are not the strange person in the story).

Two days ago, I was in a fight while I got a group pop-up for Tara V. I clicked "ready" and one of my opponents magically disappeared, so I could not get out of the combat and teleport to the flashpoint. After like 30 seconds I decided to type /stuck and died - now I was able to teleport. First thing that waited for me was - "A vote kick against you have been initiated" - reason "AFK". Seriously? It did not even take me 2 minutes. Luckily, two guys in the group were not fond of it, so they did not vote and we could start. I just "thanked" for a nice warm welcome to the group, but as I was waiting for over an hour and did not have time to wait for another one if I wanted to play the flashpoint, we started.

And hell of a run it was. I understand that some people have run the flashpoint 100x, and I understand that it is more efficient if we skip most of the enemies in the process. But it just feels so... serious. No one stops ever, like as if every second you do not spend on a speeder or pushing "w" is wasted. Once I needed 1 minute during a flashpoint to leave the computer, so I nicely apologized (no one said anything) and one of the guys just dropped the group..? And some of the "short-cuts" the people are coming up with - like the last two turrets before the boss in Cadenimu - if you run through and continue running to the place where the boss finally spawns, you do not need to kill them and you eventually get out of the fight. But honestly - would it not be faster to kill those 2 turrets? They are not dangerous at all and can be dpsed in like half a minute..?

And people from some level up do not talk in flashpoints at all. Talking means you need to stop and write - mostly, you do not find enough time. Admitting that you do not know the boss mechanics? No one even dares to ask as it would be like the first sentence in the whole flashpoint. On my tank (level 42) I rather watched all the boss mechanics on youtube first, as I was afraid of unfriendly reactions and as a tank, you really need to know them.

On the other hand, I was nicely surprised as I grouped for some Heroics 4 on the planets - people were friendly and chatty and mistakes were forgiven. If we almost wiped and only one person survived, no one blamed the others, but people were writing "that was close :)".

I have to admit, I start disliking the higher level SM flashpoints. In lower levels, people are not afraid to admit they do not know what to do, and if we wipe, someone just explains what we did wrong and we try again. In higher levels, everyone just thinks they are the best, and if we wipe, people just write "tank sucks", "healer, your healing sucks", "omg *** r u doing?".

But as I try hard, we mostly do not wipe and if we do, it is not my fault, so the flashpoints are following the atmosphere of antique tragedies.

P.S.: Great thread, btw.

Three days ago i get into an athiss run,slightly overleveled but whatever,daily quest with pretty xp and comms.Tank basically bolts to the nearest mobs with rocket boost(i kept up with mine,kinda lucky for him i did) immediately attacks a group of mobs,gets down to about 20% hp left,proceeds to tell the healer to do some healing(clearly they don't have rocket boost as they got there just before the mobs died).

We keep going,pulls are atleast good same with heals,dude is being an *** to the healer though.Get t the first boss,kill her without any issues.Immediately after the tank just leaves the group.After queuing we continue,me and the other dps(who switched to a tanking stance thingy for their class(whatever vanguards use for tanking,that thingamajig) and throws guard on the healer).Get near the 2nd boss,queue finds us a tank,wait for him and proceed to kill the boss and clear to the final boss.

Spent the final boss slapping the flames and laughing.Crappy start but a decent ending for the whole run.Some people need an attitude and patience class,others need a medal.

I ran the mission again today with some random group. I debated whether or not to go in as a healer again, but I figured I'd give it one more go. Wow. This group was great. Not a lot of chatter, but everyone understood their role and got the job done. No one died.; not once. We sliced through the flashpoint like it was butter. I'm a little disappointed I didn't get any cool gear, but other than that it was a fun mission. No one gave me any grief. Everyone just came in and got it done. It has given me a little more faith in the process. Maybe I'll just avoid late night groups as it seems the less mature ones are bound to be online.

I went to athiss today on my assault commando and there is a level 21 scoundrel.

we wipe on the second boss repeatedly, after this I tell him he must heal, to which he responded 'You are a commando' i pointed out that he has the healer role.

i then look at his rotation and see that he is using sucker punch ( i am familiar with it as i have a 55 scraper )

he keeps on saying that he is a DPS / Healer which at 21 is not effective.

So i quit and put him on ignore. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Recently, I am having a feeling that the Flashpoints have changed from an adventure to a race. This feeling occurs more and more as I am nearing the level 50 (so yeah, I am not as experienced as most of the experienced raiders here who write their gear in the first sentence just to make sure they are not the strange person in the story)..

What's even worse for me is the people that are like **** PRESS SPACEBAR on SM flashpoints... I enjoy the game because of the dialogue and I enjoy seeing all the different things different classes can say and such. Playing since beta I still haven't seen it all. But too many players are in such a hurry they INSIST that I press spacebar. Now, if it's a HM I don't mind so much... but the SMs, it annoys me to the extent that I have the following.

1. Did you ask nicely, and we are sure everyone is okay with spacebarring? Then I will do so.

2. Did you break Wheaton's Law by INSISTING that I spacebar? I will break Wheaton's Law too and wait until the last second to reply on each and every dialogue choice.

Really, that's my take. Be nice to me, I'll be nice to you. If you are a ****, don't expect me to just obey you.

Then, as you said for all the shortcuts and skipping, it does very much annoy me (again, mostly in SMs) because really it's not a race and some people might actually want gear off of an easy boss that they want to skip just because they're trying for the record completion time.

I had the longest Esseles walkthru ever last day when my group had at least 3 changes before the end

One left to coruscant in the middle of the thing for no reason, his subsiture did the same later on because he had not enough time (Y going to FP then??)

Our tank was a stupid rusher and another ******* didn't felt the need to reload its life before attacking, had to kick him.

Been running GF during the week and it had been going pretty well with groups ... until a while ago.

Got queued into MR and the group started out pretty okay. The tank wanted to LOS nearly every pull (He said something at the start of the FP about it) and did it for about 2-3 pulls before the healer told him it wasn't necessary and to just go tank (Wasn't weird, most healers know if they can take it or not, which the healer had no problems and was very excellent in heals).

Problems started when the second dps (I was also dps) started to have problems with skipping/pulling aggro and the healer decided to call him out and call him 'retarded' (Despite one of the pulls being on me I believe. Not sure because we were both running pretty close to each other.).

The last boss glitched or something and all 6 turrets came up at once (The boss had gotten down to 40% before the turrets came up), and the tank died (Not sure why, as I was busy trying to get the turrets down as fast as possible). The healer was able to keep both DPS up as we cleared the turrets and the boss as the tank re-spawned and ran back.

Despite the harsh comments from the healer (mostly to the other dps), It went pretty well. I am not sure if I should have /ignored the healer or not, because they did their job and did it well, and I myself have been snappy in FP's a few times, to which I regretted later.

Doing HM Eternity Vault

We invite along a guild prospect who we are getting to know, who claims they are experienced for a bit of a fun run through EV

First up we explain to some first time raiders at the Puzzle Pylon, not to touch the pylon

The new guy touches the pylon puzzle causing it to spawn as we are explaining in chat what to do for this mechanic

New guy seems confused but we pull through easily in the end, and given him the benefit of the doubt

We advance to the part where all the group does a one on one duel, mechanics explained and we tell him where to stand and who to fight

Simply enough

NO

He argues over why he cant take another one he chose, we explain its a mechanic and best suited to be done a certain way,

It doesnt sink into him that this is whay the operation requires and makes a big seen believing we dont want him to fight a guy, and starts flipping out. We figure he is new and maybe just doesnt understand, but we spend 5 mins explaining its just a mechanic and no personal attack on him by asking him to fight a particular spawn

After making everyone in chat facepalm, it was needless to say things were not going to work out between us so we said thanks but no thanks, then one of the group proceeded to get hate telled all night by him claiming we had no idea what we were doing and shouldnt pick on people

Had a few laughs at his expense admittedly

I know we all start somewhere, but when you refuse to listen or grasp a basic concept :p

Lately, Lost Island [HARD] has been a complete disaster for me.

Every.

Frigging.

Time.

I should have known that this latest kick at the cat would result in the cat kicking back --hard-- when I first loaded-in (Sniper/full Engineering DPS in my case), did an inspect on the tank, and saw...Quest greens and blues --no, not blue mods, un-moddable mid-level-40s blue shells-- and less than 14k HP.

Now, I'm not normally one to bust people's chops about being under-geared --especially given that that particular Eng-Sniper is himself a bit under-geared at present (still needs ilvl 58+ purple mods in a few pieces, as well as a "real" belt and bracers, plus relics)-- but maybe this seemed a bit low for a [HARD] instance, especially for a tank?

Well, alright then.

The other DPS was a Merc with over double the HP, so I says to myself, I says, "Self, it's cool: He's 55, he's geared, I'm sure he knows his class, his role, and has at least a basic knowledge of the content, yes?"

Um. Maybe not.

He had Combustion-Gas Cylinder loaded. Yet, on the first pull where we wiped because of this derp running ahead to pull everything --the first of many, many wipes-- I saw the good ole' Tracer Missile and Heatseeker Missile animations.

For my melée-brawler brethren, think of a Merc's cylinders like your "stances;" CGC is broadly analogous to an elemental damage/DoT "stance." But this Merc was supposed to be using the Armour-Piercer cylinder!

(You don't use anything else --with possibly certain very rare, and highly situational exceptions-- whilst DPS'ing as an Arsenal-spec Mercenary (/Gunnery-spec Commando) past approximately level 25 when the talents for the specific cylinders for your skill-tree start coming in.)

So I type in chat "(Player Name) please switch to HV Gas cyl."

No response.

Well. Alrighty, then. On yer bikes!

More wipes with this intrepid Merc "tanking" us to our doom, with the actual tank being unable to keep aggro off him, followed by me pulling aggro (my threat-dump is on a fairly long CD, by the way) off the Merc once the fight got going.

Finally, after who knows how many wipes, the Merc says "lol, my armour is all red and I got no money, GTG :))" and bails off.

50k creds repair-bill and four attempts at Sav-Rak later --yes, we got to him with our back-fill second DPS (Lightning Sorc.). Eventually-- I finally said, "Sorry guys, RL duty calls, I gotta go. Best of luck." and dropped.

I could go on --everything that could go wrong with a PuG [HARD] instance, did in this case-- but I don't want to write a novel here.

I just thought it worth noting that particular Merc, especially if you're in the mood to wallow in some Schadenfreude:

And because it sincerely, genuinely pains me --IRL even-- to see my beloved dual-balster wielders, with such a high skill-cap compared to almost all other classes, played that badly by someone who clearly couldn't care less about not being the stereotypical "Der-Pee-Ess." (Oh, just as an aside: How the f can you not afford repair-bills for at least the odd wipe by the time you're level-capped? In all ilvl-72/75 gear?)

Christ kid, that kind of derp-heroics is what smashers are tailor-made for, maybe you should roll one?

Edited by midianlord

i hate that FP. i've NEVER gotten through it.

Oh, I've gotten through it, but when things go pear-shaped in that one, it can can get really expensive, really quickly.

It's like Mandalorian Raiders [HARD] in that it doesn't forgive derp.

Pack-aggro is...well, weird...in LI, though. Don't know if that's bugged or intended.

But I've come to actually like Mando Raiders a lot, whereas LI just makes me go "meh" for some reason.

It's like Mandalorian Raiders [HARD] in that it doesn't forgive derp.

The only thing that makes that flashpoint hard are people that are unable to hug walls and follow the tank in order to avoid unneccessary aggro.

Oh, and - slowpoke tanks that want to LOS everything. But then again, this kind of playstyle annoys me in every flashpoint, not just this one. Fast and confident tanks ftw.

Recently, I am having a feeling that the Flashpoints have changed from an adventure to a race.

It was about bloody time as well.

Seriously, what's the problem with people wanting to clear the same old content as quickly and efficiently as possible? What you call "race" I call an inevitable evolution in the way repeatable content is played. Many players have done the flashpoints to death and do them only because of their end rewards. It's only natural they're going to look for the fastest and most efficient routes and tactics. This is normal, expected and I embrace it wholeheartedly.

I remember there were, and I use the term loosely, discussions about former HM flashpoints. People where complaining that players race thru the flashpoint, take shortcuts and spacebar conversations. Even then I argued that such things cannot be avoided and should be expected.

Let's face it - the flashpoints have been done to death and offer little challenge to geared players. Naturally, when the game mechanics cannot challenge the players anymore they (the players) invent their own challenges. One of those challenges is to clear the content as fast as possible. This includes taking shortcuts, avoiding patrols and skipping scripted fights by means of hugging walls, walking certain paths and soft cc's along with a generous use of rocket boosters and other increased movement speed abilities.

And why not? I mean, we have a derps leaderboard and that's basically a contest who can b*tchslap an unmovable dummy (that doesn't fight back) the hardest. What I'd really like to see are fastest times for clearing flashpoints and strategies on how to attain them. Why? Because it requires more skill and cooperation than soloderpsing a dummy.

Edited by slafko

What I'd really like to see are fastest times for clearing flashpoints and strategies on how to attain them. Why? Because it requires more skill and cooperation than soloderpsing a dummy.

Than make a thread about it ;-)

But yes .... rushing flashpoints is getting really crazy at higher levels....

I'm levelling a few toons only by doing flashpoints and one of them has hit lv 50 recently. All I can say is that I can understand 100% why there is a shortage of tanks. As soon as you get into the lv50 fp's there are always some 53-55 folks rushing like crazy. Now I'm someone who can take the rush and participate at it. I can however understand newbees who feel intimidated by it.

Also skipping mobs/bonusses in flashpoints if you are around lv50 and not yet levelcapped seems strange to me. If I do a flashpoint with bonus and xp-boost equipped I nearly gain a whole level (ok... a bit less, but by no means its 'a waste' like some people seem to think).

As an example. You can do all bosses + bonus in 30 minutes in BoI HM. Skipping every single boss exept the last two takes 15 minutes.

Anyway .... /rant

The only thing that makes that flashpoint hard are people that are unable to hug walls and follow the tank in order to avoid unneccessary aggro.

Oh, and - slowpoke tanks that want to LOS everything. But then again, this kind of playstyle annoys me in every flashpoint, not just this one. Fast and confident tanks ftw.

Sometimes we tanks lack confidence in our healers, not in ourselves. Just sayin'. ;)

Sometimes we tanks lack confidence in our healers, not in ourselves. Just sayin'. ;)

Fair point. It takes a while to know what each healer is capable and it's smart to take the first few pulls a little bit slower just so you know what the healer and the DPSers can handle. For example, I have an Operative healer in Oriconian/Verpine gear (Obroan relics though), but usually any tank I get through the GF waits to see what I can handle. On the other hand, if I queue with a guildie tank, they will push on relentlessly as long as the DPS players can keep up.