Playable and Companion species suggestion checklist thread

Vitas

Kyuzo would be a awesome race to add. though I haven't seen any in swtor so would be unlikely for it to happen. though that would still be my choice

There's no year which establishes their year of discovery so the possibility of them becoming playable is there. If BioWare at least would make them appear as an NPC now, then that would answer the question meaning they were there before the Cold War and perhaps even further back!

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the few advantages I can see to a TOR store or a FTP model with a store is they would add in more species. I hope that they do this sooner rather than later because I dont want to have to redo the entire end game grind I am currently doing.

I wonder if Cathar and other species will come in as part of the Cartel shop. If so we might see a decent number of new species.

No, I think making new playable species purchasable with cartel coins would just alienate players considering to purchase a subscription. Whilst it's already been said some species wont be available to free-to-play players, we want to try to encourage them by having them all available from the begining with a paid subscription. It would also be considered a hassle for current paying customers having to unlock them with the coins. Cartel coins in my opinion should only be used for vanity items, not unlockable species.

Edited by Vitas

No, I think making new playable species purchasable with cartel coins would just alienate players considering to purchase a subscription. Whilst it's already been said some species wont be available to free-to-play players, we want to try to encourage them by having them all available from the begining with a paid subscription. It would also be considered a hassle for current paying customers having to unlock them with the coins. Cartel coins in my opinion should only be used for vanity items, not unlockable species.

Species are vanity items. Likewise, coins are provided to subscribers.

Species are vanity items. Likewise, coins are provided to subscribers.

Yes but subscribed players will only get 150 cartel coins per month. Putting aside the fact that additional coins will be given for previously paid months since launch and for owners of the collector's edition, presumably the species will cost maybe 1500 coins. That would mean a player would need to have an active subscription for 10 months. Now say a newly subscribed player would want to play as his favourite species which is currently available in the game, however they'd be annoyed that they would need to wait a month or more just to be able to play that. By then they would've already rolled a different species and would get angry by the time the one they want is available when they've already reached lvl 25 with the previous choice. Of course 1500 may be a bit too much but in my opinion, it would perhaps be more than 150.

As you may've noticed, there are currently a few dialogue differences between Humans and other playable species. A player's dialogue isn't any different when wearing various gear, this is why cartel coins would be best used to only purchase vanity items.

Edited by Vitas

I don't see how you can complain when you are assigning completely arbitrary value to the coins and throwing around completely baseless speculation regarding costs. For all we know, "only" 150 coins could net you every species they ever release. Likely? Perhaps not. But just as likely and supported as your speculation.

To say that having new species added to whatever store is a bad idea because of your own unfounded speculation is just... odd.

Edited by CelCawdro

I don't see how you can complain when you are assigning completely arbitrary value to the coins and throwing around completely baseless speculation regarding costs. For all we know, "only" 150 coins could net you every species they ever release. Likely? Perhaps not. But just as likely and supported as your speculation.

To say that having new species added to whatever store is a bad idea because of your own unfounded speculation is just... odd.

Well I'm basing this on how much it currently costs to unlock a species for a different class through legacy compared to the legacy perks. Like I said it would alienate new and even existing subscribed players to have to purchase with additional costs to choose a species they'd like to be (not counting free-to-play players). The only acceptable time for when a player has to pay for a new playable species is with an expansion pack.

Edited by Vitas

Well I'm basing this on how much it currently costs to unlock a species for a different class through legacy compared to the legacy perks. Like I said it would alienate new and even existing subscribed players to have to purchase with additional costs to choose a species they'd like to be (not counting free-to-play players). The only acceptable time for when a player has to pay for a new playable species is with an expansion pack.

I dont see us getting new species any time soon (other than Cathar). My hope would be as a vantity item it seems logical to put them in a cash shop. Its one of the few things which can be added which would not add any additional power to a character that people have already said they would purchase. Better to use the 1450 cartel coins I will get on something I want rather than additional bank slots.

After reading through a large amount of posts in this thread i have concluded that making my personal favorite races wouldnt be the end of the world, they are trandoshans, kaleesh and wookies. Their own already in game dialoge could be combined with sub-titles that are already in game and if you dont like it dont be one of them. About the armor issue, if you can hide the armor on your head, why can wookies just have all of their armor be hidden while applying the bonuses, same goes with trandoshan head and boot slots and kaleesh head slots. Wookies armor could add something like chewbacca's ammo sash. Their already in game why would it be so hard to add something that most of your fans want bioware, i may love your work bioware but you should really listen to your fans. Edited by DARKASSAIN
Grammer issues

A ton of these races simply won't and can not work without a immence amounts of retconning. This isn't my opinion and I'm not saying this because I don't want this to happen like so many people are quick to say when somone makes a post.

We simply can NOT have a bunch of these because of reasons that you can find out if you click on the links given.

Also non basic speaking races could work but I know for a fact that a majority of players would get sick of it real fast.

And we all know that a Wookie would be a troll race because people would just walk up and start making wookie sounds.

A ton of these races simply won't and can not work without a immence amounts of retconning. This isn't my opinion and I'm not saying this because I don't want this to happen like so many people are quick to say when somone makes a post.

We simply can NOT have a bunch of these because of reasons that you can find out if you click on the links given.

When selecting them, I made sure that they wouldn't be conflicting already existing canon so you can have another read through. Most of them don't feature their date of discovery so as you can see, it could be any time. Already before SWTOR was released, the Essential Atlas showed the area of space where the Kaleesh and Rattataki lived as not being discovered until much later but here we see them. Most of these things can be due to the Ruusan Reformation which lead to a lot of species, locations and technology becoming forgotten until the time of the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War.

Also non basic speaking races could work but I know for a fact that a majority of players would get sick of it real fast.

We've already discussed this earlier and that "majority" is a minority. Heaps of players have voiced their opionion stating they wouldn't mind playing a spceies that couldn't speak basic and just featured subtitles, as long as they were available.

And we all know that a Wookie would be a troll race because people would just walk up and start making wookie sounds.

That's not really a problem. Already players have found ways to troll others with the current available selection of species.

Edited by Vitas

When selecting them, I made sure that they wouldn't be conflicting already existing canon so you can have another read through. Most of them don't feature their date of discovery so as you can see, it could be any time. Already before SWTOR was released, the Essential Atlas showed the area of space where the Kaleesh and Rattataki lived as not being discovered until much later but here we see them. Most of these things can be due to the Ruusan Reformation which lead to a lot of species, locations and technology becoming forgotten until the time of the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War.

A vague article does not mean that it is open to interpretation. It is far more likely that a species does not appear before a certain time because they were not space-faring and/or not common in the galaxy at all. Rare species, particularly those represented by a single individual, aren't exactly likely options.

As has been stated by BioWare, species selection is and will be based on what is considered "iconic." A throwaway species that appeared once in the background of a comic is not iconic.

We've already discussed this earlier and that "majority" is a minority. Heaps of players have voiced their opionion stating they wouldn't mind playing a spceies that couldn't speak basic and just featured subtitles, as long as they were available.

That logic is circular. Yes, of course the people that came to this thread looking to play specific non-speaking species aren't going to have a problem with it. This is the very definition of a biased sample. On the other hand, you have the actual majority of players who are already annoyed by any dialogue at all, let alone repetitive alien gibberish. This is an issue.

Likewise, BioWare has already stated on multiple occasions that player characters need to be identifiable - the ability to speak understandably is a prerequisite of this.

Also, of course the majority of which you speak is going to remain as such when you continually dismiss anyone who voices an opinion to the contrary.

That's not really a problem. Already players have found ways to troll others with the current available selection of species.

You are twisting his meaning. With certain species that are perceived of as "annoying" for whatever reason (be it size, vocalization, or any number of immersion-breaking factors), people that care little for the setting are going to flock to those species simply to annoy others.

Edited by CelCawdro

A vague article does not mean that it is open to interpretation. It is far more likely that a species does not appear before a certain time because they were not space-faring and/or not common in the galaxy at all. Rare species, particularly those represented by a single individual, aren't exactly likely options.

As has been stated by BioWare, species selection is and will be based on what is considered "iconic." A throwaway species that appeared once in the background of a comic is not iconic.

It doesn't state either that they're not a space-faring species. A lot of authors tend to choose the species they like which is why they may appear more than others.

That logic is circular. Yes, of course the people that came to this thread looking to play specific non-speaking species aren't going to have a problem with it. This is the very definition of a biased sample. On the other hand, you have the actual majority of players who are already annoyed by any dialogue at all, let alone repetitive alien gibberish. This is an issue.

Likewise, BioWare has already stated on multiple occasions that player characters need to be identifiable - the ability to speak understandably is a prerequisite of this.

Also, of course the majority of which you speak is going to remain as such when you continually dismiss anyone who voices an opinion to the contrary.

If it becomes playable, don't pick it. Simple.

You are twisting his meaning. With certain species that are perceived of as "annoying" for whatever reason (be it size, vocalization, or any number of immersion-breaking factors), people that care little for the setting are going to flock to those species simply to annoy others.

/Ignore them.

It doesn't state either that they're not a space-faring species. A lot of authors tend to choose the species they like which is why they may appear more than others.

If it becomes playable, don't pick it. Simple.

/Ignore them.

In short, my participation in this thread boils down to this - this thread is akin to simply listing the word "everything" on a Christmas present list for Santa. Not only is the request unreasonable in and of itself, it is supremely unhelpful when your pare-- *ahem* Santa is attempting to get you a few presents. It is even more unhelpful when certain guidelines have been laid down for you to help in your selection, and you flippantly disregard and trivialize that input.

"We can get you two Transformers for Christmas, little Johnny. Which would you like?"

"I'D LIKE ANY OF THE TOYS, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH!"

Even if your feedback isn't motivated by unreasonable greed and rather uncompromising acceptance of anything thrown your way, there comes a point at which flooding the developers with that feedback renders it completely unusable.

The entire thread becomes an exercise in futility when you fail to inject a little reason and realism into your expectations, and moreover it ceases to become a source of feedback for the developers when you disregard or dismiss anything they've said on the topic, and when said feedback is so wide and encompassing that you may as well link them a list of all the species in the franchise.

Focus is needed.

Edited by CelCawdro

In short, my participation in this thread boils down to this - this thread is akin to simply listing the word "everything" on a Christmas present list for Santa. Not only is the request unreasonable in and of itself, it is supremely unhelpful when your pare-- *ahem* Santa is attempting to get you a few presents. It is even more unhelpful when certain guidelines have been laid down for you to help in your selection, and you flippantly disregard and trivialize that input.

"We can get you two Transformers for Christmas, little Johnny. Which would you like?"

"I'D LIKE ANY OF THE TOYS, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH!"

Even if your feedback isn't motivated by unreasonable greed and rather uncompromising acceptance of anything thrown your way, there comes a point at which flooding the developers with that feedback renders it completely unusable.

The entire thread becomes an exercise in futility when you fail to inject a little reason and realism into your expectations, and moreover it ceases to become a source of feedback for the developers when you disregard or dismiss anything they've said on the topic, and when said feedback is so wide and encompassing that you may as well link them a list of all the species in the franchise.

Focus is needed.

Well we know we wont get everything all at once but still it's better to hope than to despair. Anything is possble but of course it'll take time and once Cathar is implemented, it will be interesting to see what will be revealed after. For now we can just keep posting with an open mind and talk about other possible additions for the future.

Well we know we wont get everything all at once but still it's better to hope than to despair. Anything is possble but of course it'll take time and once Cathar is implemented, it will be interesting to see what will be revealed after. For now we can just keep posting with an open mind and talk about other possible additions for the future.

The realm of possibility and the realm of likelihood are two very different places. Nowhere have I stated that am I in a state of "despair." Quite the opposite, really. I merely have realistic expectations - expectations that are in line with developer comments on this particular topic. There is still a lot of leeway given what they've stated, but this thread simply goes too far beyond that and renders itself moot simply because it is so encompassing.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh hell no, Im not reading subtitles. If they added none basic speaking races id quit the game entirely. Hell the fact i dont have to read **** is the whole point of me playing this game other than being a epic fan. if i wanted to read id go buy the latest forgotten realms book.Make me read and ill leave you for Guild Wars 2.