Fleets need help with activity

TrixxieTriss

They need to add a nice full expansion, otherwise nobody will be logged in and no amount of tweaks to the fleet would help.

As for a tweak, I heard they are adding speeders to the fleet to get around easier.

Yes, the speeders are already up in the PTS. Kind of handy.

Come on Trixxie, you don't care about rp any more than I do. More people on the fleet rather than SHs means a more accurate way of measuring game population. Except that BW already has that number so it doesn't make any sense for them to do anything, and also goes against what they've done already, which is to outsource a lot of the fleet stuff to SHs, ships and Odessen.

People in guild ships count towards fleet numbers.

Many people avoid fleet with how toxic it is. They are either in SH's, or doing activities on other planets. Lets be honest since SH's and Odessan came out fleet is no longer the hub of activity it used to be. In the past it was used to form pugs for Operations, now people use created chat channels for that, so people are going about normal activities while looking for Operation groups.

which creates a problem in itself that should never of happened, you give the opportunity for the large community to create their own communities, it creates all sorts of problems, as they all have their own culture and rules and on top of this each communiity ignores the other communities leading to a situation that no one communicates with each other outside this.

So what you are left with is the impression that the game is a ghost town which doesn't give a positive vibe to new players, but it creates a perfect breeding ground fo toxicity and trolls to work in because no one is telling them otherwise.

call it a positive all you like, but i see it as a complete negative.

which creates a problem in itself that should never of happened, you give the opportunity for the large community to create their own communities, it creates all sorts of problems, as they all have their own culture and rules and on top of this each communiity ignores the other communities leading to a situation that no one communicates with each other outside this.

So what you are left with is the impression that the game is a ghost town which doesn't give a positive vibe to new players, but it creates a perfect breeding ground fo toxicity and trolls to work in because no one is telling them otherwise.

call it a positive all you like, but i see it as a complete negative.

TBH I think the ability to have some respite from places like the Fleet is something that keeps players in the game.

The toxic jerks are going to be there no matter what. There are players acting like troglodytes all over the place - being ninjas, disrupting other players, making inappropriate comments, and acting in all sorts of maladjusted ways.

Things like guild ships, personal ships with perks and strongholds give people a way to get away from that. Things like guilds and personal RP groups give players a way to interact with others without dealing with the toxic sorts, and since they're closed groups, problematic people can be bounced. It gives people positive spaces within the game.

If the only way to carry out one's business (GTN, etc.) and talk to others was the Fleet, I personally think a lot of people just wouldn't bother. It would just give the toxic, maladjusted types more targets to harass.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Trixxie--I think the current discussion in the PvP forum about toxic solo-ranked has a similar situation here that you and others have pointed out in that thread...when "normal" people see the toxic garbage in the fleet gen chat, they're going to find a way to avoid it if they can help it, and strongholds are a useful tool to do that. What this leaves behind on fleet are the same, small number of trolls, but because more and more people are avoiding it, it amplifies what anyone will see in chat as being 100% toxic and reason to avoid at all costs, when it's really just 1-4 people ruining the experience for everyone else that hasn't learned how to put people on ignore or how to close certain chat channels (or, slightly worse, they feel they need to come to the rescue of whatever the trolls have chosen as bait at that moment and keep the "discussion" going instead of disengaging altogether (hey guys, nothing infuriates trolls more than silence, the sooner you all learn that, the sooner they'll leave to the underside of more popular bridges)).

The perception of toxicity (not necessarily the reality) becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy where it seems to be "worse than ever" or the norm, when it's always been the same small handful of people. Could Bioware be doing more to make fleet worth going to despite those trolls? Could Bioware be doing more to make solo ranked more inviting despite the toxic minority that ruin it for everyone else? Of course, but most people will have already made up their mind about it at this point and would be unlikely to come back unless something extraordinarily valuable was there to trump the toxicity.

This is generally why I will believe the argument that fleet isn't the be all and end all of the game's overall population. Maybe before strongholds that might have been true, and before the trolls got their hooks in fleet's gen chat and fleet pvp channels, but I don't think we're ever going to see fleet's population improve.

Yeah, I can see the parallel to that and it’s another reason Bioware should be enforcing their own rules of conduct by having live chat moderators in the game.

I do get why people don’t visit the fleet as much. There is also the issue that you can’t use your legacy bank there either and are forced to go to your SH.

Plus you can use your SH’s as a quick travel point all around the galaxy to other places, I rarely use my ship any more or my emergency fleet pass because I can go straight to my SH and exit to fleet.

What Bioware could do is entirely remove the CD on the emergency fleet pass for subscribers as it really serves no purpose when you have such an easy work around.

If the toxicity and trolls were fixed on gen chat, then the fleet could become more viable again if they had more activities or gave us more reasons to visit like all the RP people do.

Edited by TrixxieTriss