DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

djinnerman

Verry nice guide. The one thing I disagree with (at least in flashpoints and in some cases raids) is standing still. I wouldnt actually suggest it. Alot of times its MUCH easier for the healer to run to the tank than to wait for the tank to come to the healer. Granted its still situational but you seemed to want to drive that point and standing still and going to the tank are both situational. However you are spot on by saying dont just run around like a duck with its tail on fire.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Verry nice guide. The one thing I disagree with (at least in flashpoints and in some cases raids) is standing still. I wouldnt actually suggest it. Alot of times its MUCH easier for the healer to run to the tank than to wait for the tank to come to the healer. Granted its still situational but you seemed to want to drive that point and standing still and going to the tank are both situational. However you are spot on by saying dont just run around like a duck with its tail on fire.

Thanks a bunch. I haven't had much time reading through the latest stuff I've written since I was out of town, but I realized that the Standing Still portion was targetting for when you are getting chased. I generally move around a lot when I'm not being chased because it keeps my momentum going. But when I am chased by some melee enemies, I stand very much still unless the following one of the following criteria is met:

1. Jet Boost stunned
  2. Tank and/or dps has the attention that they are on me
  3. Electro shock placement
  4. Red thingy on the ground

Granted I'm also like a 26 year old kid with ADHD, I fidget a lot so I have to move around regardless. But I know when I need to stop and when to run.

It is situational at best.

Edited by djinnerman

sub'd

I've come to the all healing, all the time thread to ask a question(s) that I hope does not start the "zOMG we need dual specs" arguement. I'm currently arsenal but every time I run a group I end up healing. My problem is I only run groups for +4 elites and I still have not run a flash point (lvl 21). I'm finding I am a n00b with the heals. So I am thinking I should respec heals so I "know my role".

The question... How is leveling heal spec REALLY. Am I going to be forced to run flash points all the time? I just don't have time for that. I've read several threads on the topic but most of them turn into arguements. Anyone have experience with leveling dps v healing and how different it is? Can I "know my role" leveling dps and switching later (40+) to a heal spec?

BTW DJ, if you feel I am jacking your thread let me know and I will remove this.

sub'd

I've come to the all healing, all the time thread to ask a question(s) that I hope does not start the "zOMG we need dual specs" arguement. I'm currently arsenal but every time I run a group I end up healing. My problem is I only run groups for +4 elites and I still have not run a flash point (lvl 21). I'm finding I am a n00b with the heals. So I am thinking I should respec heals so I "know my role".

The question... How is leveling heal spec REALLY. Am I going to be forced to run flash points all the time? I just don't have time for that. I've read several threads on the topic but most of them turn into arguements. Anyone have experience with leveling dps v healing and how different it is? Can I "know my role" leveling dps and switching later (40+) to a heal spec?

BTW DJ, if you feel I am jacking your thread let me know and I will remove this.

Haha it's quite alright.

I do agree about the dual-speccing since it's absolutely killing me atm. Leveling as a full specced healer is nice and all, but I am struggling doing my normal missions from time to time. I was seriously considering switching to a dps spec until things get stapled in and/or I heal a flashpoint.

Leveling as a healer is basically atrocious around level 27-28+ and in Alderaan. Many mobs are wiping me clean in about 5 seconds and I found myself kiting and line of sighting consistently with all of the Elites I run into. I was considering making a hybrid heal/dps spec until the full fledged 50 is underway with raids and such.

Edited by djinnerman

My problem is I only run groups for +4 elites and I still have not run a flash point (lvl 21). I'm finding I am a n00b with the heals. So I am thinking I should respec heals so I "know my role".

IMO If you want to be a healer...you should be a healer. I am full bodyguard and at level 27 ATM. The ONLY problem I have is elites that chain heal themselves. It makes for a VERY long fight. I think my solution is going to be to go Arsenal up to Tracer Missile, then the rest in bodyguard. That should lower or eliminate the only frustration I have. Also I am really looking forward to Galt & Blizz for a DPS increase since I can heal and it will give me more practice healing. That may be also be a viable alternative to Tracer Missile. We will see.

DJ,

excellent information and I love that you listed your keybinds.

My question is this, I leveled 1-25 as Arsenal then 25-39 as Pyro.

I haven't found a good source of info on what stats I need to change from DPS to Healing? Do we still focus on Aim? Then what Crit? Power? Surge? and could most of our DPS gear be fine with changes in our mods?

any tips would be helpful.

thanks!

DJ,

excellent information and I love that you listed your keybinds.

My question is this, I leveled 1-25 as Arsenal then 25-39 as Pyro.

I haven't found a good source of info on what stats I need to change from DPS to Healing? Do we still focus on Aim? Then what Crit? Power? Surge? and could most of our DPS gear be fine with changes in our mods?

any tips would be helpful.

thanks!

Hey there thanks for the compliment.

I haven't gotten into the stats just yet because I wanted to get solid into what was needed. As a bounty hunter, our main stats are Aim everywhere we go. Stick with this guideline which I will place in the guide soon:

Aim = BH/Trooper

Cunning = IA/Smuggler

Strength = JK/SW

Willpower = Inquis/Consular

So the basic laydown will be Aim and Endurance in your gear.

Now for the other stats, I wouldn't worry too too much on the extra stats until you start hitting high levels and max level for raiding. Alacrity will be an important stat but up to a certain amount. You should probably be focusing on Power and Crit since it will be adding towards your bonus heals and your crit chances. Surge just adds burst damage.

IMO If you want to be a healer...you should be a healer. I am full bodyguard and at level 27 ATM. The ONLY problem I have is elites that chain heal themselves. It makes for a VERY long fight. I think my solution is going to be to go Arsenal up to Tracer Missile, then the rest in bodyguard. That should lower or eliminate the only frustration I have. Also I am really looking forward to Galt & Blizz for a DPS increase since I can heal and it will give me more practice healing. That may be also be a viable alternative to Tracer Missile. We will see.

BTW - Thank you for this. I decided to respec for now so I can have a more steady time leveling. It's a slight adjustment, but I should still be able to heal like normal. I'll need to try out the healing in flashpoints soon.

Edited by djinnerman

Great guide DJ! as a serial clicker who is just getting his head around key binds, I'd love to see a screen shot of a few bodyguard UI's, just to see what works for peeps.

I used to always be a half presser/half clicker, pressing keys 1-6 then have my cursor frantically zipping around the screen for the rest. But 2 days of playing marauder made me realise keybinds are the go for SWTOR. I just find it intersting who binds what to where?

Again, great guide! cheers!

Thanks so much for the guide! I'm usually a DPS but got fed up with the lack of healers on my server so I decided to make one. I wouldn't have known what to do if I hadn't read this. :D

I'm really glad you are wanting to head the healer route. That makes me happy. I really hope you enjoy being a healer just as much as I do. There is a huge community willing to help out so feel free to ask around if you have questions. I know I don't have the know all answers and there are always others who know what they are doing as well. A well of knowledge is greater than a cup of it.

Great guide DJ! as a serial clicker who is just getting his head around key binds, I'd love to see a screen shot of a few bodyguard UI's, just to see what works for peeps.

I used to always be a half presser/half clicker, pressing keys 1-6 then have my cursor frantically zipping around the screen for the rest. But 2 days of playing marauder made me realise keybinds are the go for SWTOR. I just find it intersting who binds what to where?

Again, great guide! cheers!

I wish Bioware has customizable UI, but for now there isn't any. Maybe I'll post a screenie on what I have just as a look at what the basics of what we're dealing with. I'm using all of the hotbars fyi.

I do click as I mentioned, my guilty conscience, but eventually it boils down to not doing it at all. However you want to play, is whatever works best for you.

And thank you for the kind comment.

This was a fun guide to read, thanks for making it!

Sometimes a bit hard to follow your derranged, but witty, side-comments, but the overall message came across clearly!

cheers!

My writing style has always been a bit deranged. My writing classes have always been trivial and I enjoy creative writing. I have a very random mind and I get in a very creative mode. Sometimes I go overboard and tend to confuse people but then end up explaining it in the end. My main goal is to prevent boring the reader and provide at least an entertainment value at some point.

Also, the For Dummies books ifrc, has some humor in it as well, so I tried to keep it in the same margin.

Let me know if anything was confusing for you, maybe I would like to clean it up a bit!!

BTW - Sorry for the prank table of contents portion

tehehehehehe

thank you for this guide i was haveing fun as dps but when i hit 20 i reolised that no one was ever needing dps for anything so i asked around and was told that merc dps was bad and usualy not needed in partys so i repeced as heals and was haveing fun. this guide was fun and easy to read and helps me see some of the small things that i can do to be a better healer. p.s. i have never been a healer in any game ever before so this is an interesting experiance for me. once again thank you

Thanks for this guide, however i have a major idlemna in that im constantly switching between my merc and sorcerer for healing, both are in their 20s and i simply cannot decide which to level up.

I enjoy both probably the BH a bit more if im being honest but ive read here and there that the sorcerer/sage is the best healer in the game.

Initially my understanding was there was NO BEST HEALER yet the theory crafters out there seem to suggest otherwise.

To make matters wors i rolled an operative to see what its healing is like, i like the sound of healing driods :)

Ill never hit lvl 50 at this rate, while im not in a hurry i wish i could decide which to max lvl first.

Thanks for this guide, however i have a major idlemna in that im constantly switching between my merc and sorcerer for healing, both are in their 20s and i simply cannot decide which to level up.

I enjoy both probably the BH a bit more if im being honest but ive read here and there that the sorcerer/sage is the best healer in the game.

Initially my understanding was there was NO BEST HEALER yet the theory crafters out there seem to suggest otherwise.

To make matters wors i rolled an operative to see what its healing is like, i like the sound of healing driods :)

Ill never hit lvl 50 at this rate, while im not in a hurry i wish i could decide which to max lvl first.

I've recently started working on a Sith Sorcerer and so far the healing is..okay compared to the Mercenary. It's still in the early levels so it is too early to judge but I'll have to see how it is going.

If it catches enough of my attention, then...sadly...I dunno if another guide is underway lolol.

Best Healer is subjective and it depends on the player itself. It always boils down to how well that player can play and know his/her class and utilize it to its optimal performance. Of course stats and numbercrunching such as spreadsheets can tell otherwise, it still goes down to the player.

Edited by djinnerman

Great guide!

I have 27lvl bodyguard and I just love playing with it. Have to say that its getting bit tricky to go on doing solo quest with full heal spec as the mobs just dont go down that well.

Just my point that even though there are other healer classes, they dont have heavy armor on them and we have quite a lot of HP ourselves so imo we can take some really brutal pounding before we go down. I would see that we bodyguards would be kinda ideal partners for main tanks in bigger raids( world bosses etc).

Great guide!

I have 27lvl bodyguard and I just love playing with it. Have to say that its getting bit tricky to go on doing solo quest with full heal spec as the mobs just dont go down that well.

Just my point that even though there are other healer classes, they dont have heavy armor on them and we have quite a lot of HP ourselves so imo we can take some really brutal pounding before we go down. I would see that we bodyguards would be kinda ideal partners for main tanks in bigger raids( world bosses etc).

Thank you!

I totally agree about the heavy armor. I think it's quite a blessing that we can use it since we mesh well with having other specs. It's nice to be able to be a healer that can take a beating before it goes to mush.

I recently did what TempastasSilva said about going up to the tracer missiles hybrid spec and it has helped great gains. Werdan's sticky mentions having that particular build.

I can only wait for dual spec to be available so I can be able to heal when I need to. Hybrid healing proved to be a bit difficult at best.

I recently did what TempastasSilva said about going up to the tracer missiles hybrid spec and it has helped great gains. Werdan's sticky mentions having that particular build.

I can only wait for dual spec to be available so I can be able to heal when I need to. Hybrid healing proved to be a bit difficult at best.

I am going to try to wait for Galt and see how that goes (Xmas vacation w/ a laptop that does 3FPS FTL, so I have not been playing). Glad its helping. Do you think if you had a few more levels and got some of your healing tools back it would help?

GL/Have fun.

I am going to try to wait for Galt and see how that goes (Xmas vacation w/ a laptop that does 3FPS FTL, so I have not been playing). Glad its helping. Do you think if you had a few more levels and got some of your healing tools back it would help?

GL/Have fun.

Without Kolto Shell and Kolto Missile (especially because of that nice shield) it's pretty rough. Pretty cool how such subtle differences in the tree can make a big difference in healing altogether.

I want to start off saying that it was a good guide with some very nice points made, even though its only up to lvl 21 where you are just starting to see the difference between damage and healing specs.

I'm very very surprised you are still considering aclarity even though it hurts your heat management. It is vital that BH's stay under 40 heat so that they get the max heat vented per second. This is also why aclarity isn't very good on a BH, it will only give you more downtime between your heals to cast rapid shot, it is much better in my opinion to take the talents and get 6% increased tech critical. (something like this that also leaves 1 point to go into heat dampening or dmg reduction if you want)

Edited by KudosBear

I might have to work around the alacrity part a little bit. It seems that casting quickly to get the deed done would be important at some point while being able to spam Rapid Shots while the heat cools off. I'm still waiting (and researching) about the stat statistics and spreadsheets to see what is best to go for and I do no doubt see your point.

Also, I wrote this guide as a means of being impatient and I figured that updating when I can was okay as long as the basics were placed down.

BTW- I'm really curious as to why you placed 3 points into Advanced Targetting. Since we are not targetting enemies, we do not have a miss chance when it comes to healing, therefore the extra 3 points can go somewhere else, such as Critical Reaction x2 and a point in Cure Mind for the Doctor minded.

Thoughts on Alacrity:

1) its a set bonus for us, so Bioware intended for us to like it.

2) Allows me to cast the same #of spells for the same heat Faster

3) Now have more time to spam rapid shots which increases my healing

4) Now am done casting sooner so my heat starts dissipating sooner.

5) 3+4 = more throughput

Thoughts on Alacrity:

1) its a set bonus for us, so Bioware intended for us to like it.

2) Allows me to cast the same #of spells for the same heat Faster

3) Now have more time to spam rapid shots which increases my healing

4) Now am done casting sooner so my heat starts dissipating sooner.

5) 3+4 = more throughput

Very nice tip TempestasSilva! I just added your quote portion to the guide because it was a nice addition and made some nice touches to the thought. We shall see exactly where our little haste stat friend will take us in our future endeavors.

Nice guide but how slow is questing with a healing spec at level 30+?

Alderaan seems to be very very rough in full healing spec. I earlier suggested that I was going to hit up Tracer Missiles in Arsenal then the rest in Bodyguard (again by TempestasSilva). It has helped me a great gain. We'll see how things unfold in the upcoming days at least.

Check out Werdan's sticky on the Mercenary forums to see some more info on the hybrid spec.

Alderaan seems to be very very rough in full healing spec. I earlier suggested that I was going to hit up Tracer Missiles in Arsenal then the rest in Bodyguard (again by TempestasSilva). It has helped me a great gain. We'll see how things unfold in the upcoming days at least.

Check out Werdan's sticky on the Mercenary forums to see some more info on the hybrid spec.

Hybrid is probably THE way to go if you solo quest and want to heal in Flashpoints. The problem is, you don't spend points in the Bodyguard tree until level ~28. How good is our healing at level 30? Did you solo heal with the hybrid spec?