No free respec for Combat Medics???

Musezy

So I just logged in on my Combat Medic... and... NO FREE RESPEC? What the heck? My class got gutted and they didn't even bother to give me a respec? What the heck?

Some of my other characters that I logged in on, got their free respecs. So why not my Combat Medic?

I'M REALLY TICKED OFF ATM!!!

I hope BW has a good explanation for why Combat Medics didn't get a free respec!

Edited by Musezy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just logged in on my Combat Medic... and... NO FREE RESPEC? What the heck? My class got gutted and they didn't even bother to give me a respec? What the heck?

Some of my other characters that I logged in on, got their free respecs. So why not my Combat Medic?

I hope BW has a good explanation for why Combat Medics didn't get a free respec!

I don't understand this either.

But on the other hand, you get a free respec every week. Not the end of the world and certainly not worth getting ticked off over.

Just clam down and read the patch notes

Since our changes involve a number of skill changes for many classes, we are refunding all skill points to the affected Advanced Classes so players can adjust the distribution of their characters' skills as they see fit with the new changes in mind....

Now lets see what skills that are directly tied to talents got changed, im looking at this with the perspective of a 31/10 combat medic in 1.1.5 ...

Commando

* Charged Bolts has been rebalanced. It now costs 2 Energy Cells, has a 2-second activation time, and deals approximately 10% less damage.

* Cure now costs 1 Energy Cell (down from 2)

Gunnery

* Muzzle Fluting no longer reduces Energy Cell costs. It now reduces the activation time of Charged Bolts and Grav Round by .5 seconds.

Combat Medic

* Field Training now increases critical chance by 1% per point.

* Field Triage now reduces the cost of Medical Probe by 1 (down from 2).

* Kolto Bomb now affects up to 4 targets (up from 3), improving reliability in group and Operation situations.

* Kolto Residue now increases all healing received by 3% (down from 5%).

* Psych Aid no longer reduces the cost of Field Aid. It now causes Field Aid to heal the target for a small amount.

* Supercharge Cells now restores 1 Energy Cell (down from 2) when used and increases all damage and healing dealt by 5% (down from 10%). The shield applied by Kolto Bomb now reduces damage taken by 5% (down from 10%).

* Trauma Probe now costs 2 Energy Cells to activate.

Ok your right, I have no idea what is wrong with BW these days. Do they honestly think our advancded classes was not affected by these changes? How dumb can they be.

Edited by Tipkaee

• Dev Post

Free respecs are only given when the structure of the skill tree changes, such that if you were to log in and NOT receive a free respec, your character would be broken.

For example, if you used to have 3/3 in a skill box, and we changed that skill so that it now required another skill that you didn't have, or we changed it so that it only had 2 points and you now had 3/2, you'd have a broken character. And that would be bad.

We don't give out free respecs based on an arbitrary judgement call as to how many changes were made; we give them out so your characters will continue to work. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the update APeckenpaugh. I appreciate you giving us more info... however... I still just feel slighted. And I am very grumpy today after the CM nerfs and lack of ranked warzones. Having my character nerfed, nerfed, nerfed, nerfed and then not even given the courtesy of a respec just rubs me the wrong way. On top of that: I don't like the new warzone, I think the Legacy tree stuff is stupid/useless fluff, and the lack of engaging open-field PvP combat has left a sour taste. The only thing I really like about 1.2 so far is the UI customization... but... that SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME AT LAUNCH.

So, yeah, I'm still frustrated. If it wasn't for the free month BW just gave everyone, I probably would have unsub'd today. But now BW has 30 more days to make me a happy customer again. We'll see how that goes...

Free respecs are only given when the structure of the skill tree changes, such that if you were to log in and NOT receive a free respec, your character would be broken.

For example, if you used to have 3/3 in a skill box, and we changed that skill so that it now required another skill that you didn't have, or we changed it so that it only had 2 points and you now had 3/2, you'd have a broken character. And that would be bad.

We don't give out free respecs based on an arbitrary judgement call as to how many changes were made; we give them out so your characters will continue to work. Hope that makes sense.

There is a good deal of logic to this statement.

However, many of us have played other games in this industry and it is fairly common practice to give a free respec when you gut someone's class. The idea being that if someone isn't happy with the changes to (Combat Medic for instance) they can then choose a different path (ie Gunnery), with no penalties.

You guys hit the Commando/Merc ACs with some pretty massive nerfs across the entire class, it should have been expected that a significant number of both Gunnery and Combat Medic Commandos would be planning to reroll.

Then again, those of us paying attention to the changes outside of our spec knew better, perhaps you did to. Perhaps you felt there was no point refunding Commando skill points because you realize that there is no point playing a Commando in 1.2?

Perhaps you felt there was no point refunding Commando skill points because you realize that there is no point playing a Commando in 1.2?

Seems that way. 24/17/0 is unviable now that Tracer Round does lower DPS than Power Shot (lol?), and the allegedly tweaked damage was moved to a 0/31/0 skill.

Beyond that, the Critical Efficiency has doubled the cost of Rapid Scan and the Expertise bonus to healing has been halved. I have to wonder if the new PVP efficacy (both healing and damage) of pure/mixed Combat Medic/Bodyguard is actually on target, and if BW thinks it is on par with other classes. Maybe they are adding incentive to switch to dps?

I wonder if they even have a target for mixed specs.

Edited by nakomaru

• Dev Post
However, many of us have played other games in this industry and it is fairly common practice to give a free respec when you gut someone's class. The idea being that if someone isn't happy with the changes to (Combat Medic for instance) they can then choose a different path (ie Gunnery), with no penalties.

You guys hit the Commando/Merc ACs with some pretty massive nerfs across the entire class, it should have been expected that a significant number of both Gunnery and Combat Medic Commandos would be planning to reroll.

I know that as an individual, it's easy to rationalize this line of thinking, but understand that we cannot make everyone happy.

If we made judgement calls for who to give respecs to, and a class did not receive a free respec after a change, we'd be accused of "neglecting" that class (just like in this thread!). If we made judgement calls for who to give respecs to, and a class did receive a free respec after a change, we'd be accused of admitting the spec got "gutted," to use your words. And why wouldn't players think that - we just handed them free tickets to go elsewhere, right?

The only fair, honest, and logical way to give free respecs is to base them on technical necessity.

Perhaps you felt there was no point refunding Commando skill points because you realize that there is no point playing a Commando in 1.2?

Or, Commando skill points weren't refunded for the reasons I've already given and elaborated on. :)

Also, devs get standard-issue troll resistance when they join the biz, just FYI. ;)

I see...so gutting a spec does not get a free respec but minor skill tree switches does. What great logic you have there.

I see...so gutting a spec does not get a free respec but minor skill tree switches does. What great logic you have there.

Don't think of it that way. It's more accurate like this:

"Free respecs are given when it is necessary or convenient for us, not the player. The player's experience is impossible to measure, and therefore irrelevant to our metrics."

So, since Combat Medics were absolutely destroyed by this patch, you just figured that no one in their right mind would bother to continue playing in 1.2? Efficiency! Awesome!

This thread is unbelievably petty.

Talent resets were given because not doing so would cause someone to have 40 or 39 or whatever points rather than the appropriate 41. This is a very common practice in MMOs when talent trees are restructured. It has nothing to do with how much these structural changes affect the gameplay of that class (i.e. Focus/Rage trees for knight/warrior had one talent removed but become baseline. For someone with that talent already, there would be no change, but without a reset they'd be missing a point.)

Also respecs are cheap.

Please realize that commandos have bigger problems and don't make CS annoyed over useless stuff like this.

Please realize that commandos have bigger problems and don't make CS annoyed over useless stuff like this.

Oh, I think most of us are keenly aware that Commandos have big problems. But not getting a free respec today just grated my last nerve and I needed to vent. It's like kicking someone when they are down...

BW: "Hey folks, FYI, we are deprecating Ilum because it is broken and we can't fix it. Also we are NOT giving you ranked warzones in 1.2 like we said we would. Oh yeah, and while we were at it, we gutted your class and we're not even going to give you a respec! But... hey... at least you can put all your characters into a useless family tree! Hahahahaha!"

Well... you get the idea...

Edited by Musezy

Yeh, even though I'm also ticked off about the nerfs which in my opinion is totally uncalled for, I see the point of BW. Respecs are not given for compensation for your class being nerfed, but for you to restructure your skill tree as the backbone has been altered. Which isn't the case for the commando.

LOL

You guys get a free one every week. Did you respec within the last week? No? Then you HAVE a free one.

As for "this should have been in at launch" and "nerf nerf nerf" get over it. Thats the way MMO's are. How many classes has "insert MMO title" nerfed over the years, all of them. Its called balancing.

And Im sorry not everything you wanted was in the game at launch. I bet you were one of those guys who complained day in and day out "when is the game launching QQQQ".

Jeeze, if you hate it so much, go play another game, oh wait you won't because you know this game is still better than anything else out there and it hasn't even been out 6 months.

This is why I play pay to play games, to keep as many cryers out of the community as possible.

My issue with this is, that several hybrid builds were destroyed by this change. One might argue that we are squishier than ever before, but with our massive class overhaul that seems like a null issue.

However, my roommates shadow which only experienced tooltip changes received a free respec while my own commando was left with only a broken build. To this I wonder, what the hell? If you're handing out respecs you might as well make it even across the board. I realize that this game is trending towards Star Wars: The old lightsaber republic, but you could pretend to care about us blaster wielders.

Makes sense but stupid.

You screw over an Advanced Class you give them the courtesy of a free-respec. It's the decent thing to do. I'd say good faith and all that but after the latest fiasco I don't think you can smooth it over.

I"m totally floored here, I just don't get it.

Did you guys JUST respec? If you havn't then you STILL have a free one for the week. If you did, well guess what, you get one in a few days.

As someone who's only used the respec once a week and never paid for one, can someone enlighten me on how many credits the second respec for the week is? I'm guessing its a stupid low number.

You people will find anything to complain about. If your this upset about something so peetty and trivial, you need to find a different genre of game, maybe farmville.

How is it the changes to combat medic do not equal a broken character? Seriously did you not read the feedback on these changes, did you not suspect some of us would want something different after this rectal insertion?

What this amounts to is punishing troopers and bounty hunters, they are the only classes that has to pay to get a respec with the NGE 1.2. Could you guys have mangled a release any more, it is broken, unfinished, and miss patched in a very bad way. The player base was ignored in these changes, the patch was rushed and it shows. Might be time to hire some professionals over at Bioware, instead of the amateur hour. The game is charging professional rate subscriptions after all.

I"m totally floored here, I just don't get it.

Did you guys JUST respec? If you havn't then you STILL have a free one for the week. If you did, well guess what, you get one in a few days.

As someone who's only used the respec once a week and never paid for one, can someone enlighten me on how many credits the second respec for the week is? I'm guessing its a stupid low number.

You people will find anything to complain about. If your this upset about something so peetty and trivial, you need to find a different genre of game, maybe farmville.

They completely GUT the Combat Medic and you say its trivial and petty? I want some of what your smoking.

If I remember correctly from over a month ago it was free, 800-ish, then something around 2k, ~5k, ~12kish. Completely guessing. I respeced 5-6 times and it eventually got to +20k.

I only respecced that much one week cause 1 night guild needed dps, next a healer, next dps, next healer, etc.

Problem is that Combat Medics / Bodyguards don't work anymore.