Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Well what did you expect from the other thread ?

SGRA thread always run the same course. First there is a large number of bigots and trolls.

After about page thirty things get more civilised since most of those seem to be scared by big numbers for one reason or another.:rolleyes:

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After about page thirty things get more civilised since most of those seem to be scared by big numbers for one reason or another.:rolleyes:

Too much reading.

Or they can't figure out how to scroll to the last page...idk :p

you had hope for humanity? :rolleyes::rak_02:

i lost that years ago...... :p

Haha, indeed.

I used to be an idealist when I was young and all that...yeah, that didn't last long.

Edited by stuffystuffs

All I can say is that the SSR thread has blown my mind in the worst way possible. :eek:

Maybe I'm going out in a limb here, but a particular post was the one of the most offensive statements I've heard about the LGBT, roleplaying and gaming community as a whole.

I did thank the naysayers and doubters for keeping that thread on the front page. For all of the ugliness, it needs to stay out there. It's time that EA steps up and actually says something. It's gonna get worse once SGRs are announced, but there is a bit of damage they can mitigated if they start addressing this now.

I'm pretty fried, so I was wondering if someone could try to get an email or pm to the devs via the mods about this thought.

Btw, cool dream Tatile. :D

Also, I do still have faith in humanity. I didn't give up when I was bullied as a kid. I didn't give up when I was outed in high school and called...another name for a natural ditch. I refuse to lose my hope, because frankly it would like let the jerks and bullies win. I take my cynicism, my jaded perspective and use it as armor around the fragile hope in humanity to protect it.

I am in awe of how low some people can trying get. Ugh.

Sorry for rambling. Need to get to bed.

Ms. Berryman and Mr. Gonzalez,

In reference to the thread What's The Status of Same-Sex Romances?, I would like to note that there is a vocal minority of posters who firmly believe that same-sex content is inappropriate in Star Wars: The Old Republic (that is, this game), that homosexuality in general is something that is inappropriate and that Bioware supports them in this position. Those of us who want same-sex romances to be introduced - those of us who still believe that Bioware and EA are supportive of the LGBT community, in spite of all the current evidence to the contrary with regards to Star Wars: The Old Republic, this game - cannot adequately defends ourselves and this subject from their constant attacks. I realise that your Community Team does remove the hateful posts, the trolling and the attacks, but I really feel that Bioware has created this situation, though possibly unintentionally.

In short, you could dissuade many of the "this will never come", "it's not important", "Bioware shouldn't be wasting their time on your sexual fantasies" claims by releasing a simple statement saying that same-sex content has been developed and it is on its way.

Otherwise it feels like you are perpetuating a hostile environment through your own unwillingness to attract controversy. The only people being driven away right now are those who support the LGBT community, as you once did.

They won't read it and even if they did, it won't mean anything to them.

Evil triumphs where good men do nothing.

The vast amounts of idiocy, immature behaviour and outright ignorance displayed on these forums isn't just shameful, it makes me lose all hope for humanity.

Reminds of the big flame-war over the Star trek DS9 episode where what's-her-name was revealed to be romantically involved with another woman, the trekkies went absolutely ballistic, they instantaneously went from the hope for peace and co-operation to just another group of hate-filled bible spouters, it was that moment when I stopped watching Star trek all together because I knew we'd never get over our differences and our only future will be some form of holocaust because we are a ludicrously childish race and we'll never amount to anything, because no matter how far science comes along we still be filled with discriminatory imbeciles who will end up wrecking all the achievements we make as a race due to idiotic semi-idols in power.

But... but that was one of the best scenes in Star Trek HISTORY!! :eek:

When Jadzia Dax kissed her ex-wife.... ummm.... I'll be in my bunk.

Well, really, if you are hinging your faith in humanity upon the behavior of adolescents under the influence of internet anonymity, you aren't really giving yourself a lot of scope for optimism.

Personally, I'm not shocked and really not offended because the more unpleasant they are, the less reasonable any of their objections seem. And the reasonable ones are the ones I am willing to address reasonably.

Now, I think we can expect that the thread on General Discussion will be shut down on Monday at the latest. I personally think that is a mistake on their part, and I will tell them as much, but I want to lay out my reasoning here.

First, as we saw from the fellow originating the thread, many who are interested in hearing about this content simply do not know this thread exists. We may be told that any thread locked is conveniently re-directed, but that is inadequate.

Re-directing a thread serves the purpose for as long as that thread remains visible – which, on General Discussion, is likely to be fifteen minutes at best. And we know it is not effective long-term because, over the long term, people have continually failed to know this thread was here.

We also have the situation of players who do not know that this is even pending content. Mostly, these are people who are not interested or are opposed to such content, but I do occasionally see new players here, on Facebook and in game asking whether they can romance companions of the same sex.

So the bare fact that SGRs are coming, and will be implemented, is effectively hidden. And with those least in the know being in large part those most strongly opposed, if this is not discussed openly and forthrightly now, when the content is added, these players will feel that it has been snuck in behind their back and make an ugly scene,

This thread is consistently on the top page of Story and Lore. It is not infrequently the top thread and therefore visible from the forum index page. So it is as visible as it can possibly be on Story and Lore. Yet people who want to discuss same-gender romance who don't know it is here aren't finding it.

I maintain then that tucking it away here is hurtful to the discussion, more than it is helpful. And limiting it to a single thread, while understandable from a logistical view as a way of making it easiest to monitor abusive posts, also makes the topic less visible, which hurts the discussion.

We should not be penalized by being restricted to one hard-to-find thread on an obscure side forum because atrocious teenagers can't abide by the rules of conduct. And yet, we are. And I don't think that's right, and I don't see why we should put up with it any more.

Edited by Uluain

Said my piece about some of the more.... (I'll be kind) abstract reasoning in that other thread.

"I don't like PvP, therefore nobody does. I demand it be removed, so there's more office space for the Space Game."

If anyone came into a PvP balance thread with that reasoning, they'd be pointed to the thread's imaginary exit sign with good cause. Or any topic about future content... except this.

Got hit up with the ol' 'more people want PvP, I haven't seen the numbers, but they must - because then you wouldnt be a minority' theory..' and they added "(Not saying you dont like PVP or want SGR in...Just saying)"

I guess they were worried about offending me with the suggestion I want SGR in... the sun's not even up (my body's hard-wired to shift hours, even on the weekend), and that's the dumbest thing I'll hear all day. For several reasons.

I should really stop reading and posting in any threads related to SGRA's which aren't this one - the latest one posted in General Discussion has left me emotionally drained, yet I keep going back. It's like watching a car crash or a cat stuck in a washing machine.

I've hit that point again where it feels like everything I've done is absolutely pointless and that Bioware couldn't give any less of a **** about this content or the people who want it.

It's hard to maintain a facade of positivity when I'm so full of doubt myself.

TL;DR: Whinge.

I can't pass up the opportunity to post there – or in any other thread on SGRs – because if we do stick to here, the issue is invisible. I outgrew my closet over twenty-five years ago. I'm really not inclined to allow myself to be put back in one.

I'm not sure I do. :confused:

I think Gabe got away with it because no one had actually told him he could not discuss it. As he admits, it's not really in his area at all. It probably never occurred to anyone concerned with preventing it that he might.

And I think Hall was pressured to rescind his tweet. I don't know that, because yet again we don't have sufficient information on how these things work and of course he hasn't actually said. But I think if he could have left it, he would.

One person who almost certainly must know the prospects and perils of sharing that kind of information in that sort of way is, of course, Joveth. So any risks the two did face for divulging as much as they have he's surely aware of.

Are you saying that because they weren't fired, he should take things in his own hands and talk about what he likes? I don't think he can do that.

What he may be able to do is, if he can demonstrate that a policy is not effective, use that to leverage for change. He may. I don't know for sure. And I don't know if he's inclined to. But I'd not recommend bringing his work to his doorstep on the weekend. It's not apt to win us much in sympathy.

Speaking of Mr. Hood, I was browsing through his tweets and he said that the Agent and Smuggler classes were always pegged as "Romance" classes, with lots of fade to black time. Not that I noticed (with the Agent) since I stray away from [Flirts]...

EDIT: I.e. because of the lack of SG flirts. I wonder how much I'll have missed out on when they do get implemented, since it sounded like it referred to flirts with quest npcs.

Edited by QwibQwib

I'm not sure I do. :confused:

Nope, working with the idea that because we haven't heard from Mr. Amatengelo and Mr. Hood since the interview and tweet respectively, that they have been reprimanded in some way in-house. It would be nice to hear from Mr. Gonzalez that they haven't been forced to resign, that's all.

Also... he doesn't start work till Monday so my messages won't reach him until Monday or later. I don't know how to contact him any other way, besides, personal channels would be inappropriate for a work-related matter.

Hall Hood seems as active and upbeat as he always has been, I don't believe he's ever been one to post in the forums. He only did one fan site interview as far as I'm aware. Most likely they're just busy working on stuff and not going out to conventions where they are giving interviews, I doubt either of them were reprimanded for those comments. Though they might have been asked to refrain from doing unsanctioned interviews.

fyi, from experience, male smugglers and male agents have the most romance options in the game.

Speaking of Mr. Hood, I was browsing through his tweets and he said that the Agent and Smuggler classes were always pegged as "Romance" classes, with lots of fade to black time. Not that I noticed (with the Agent) since I stray away from [Flirts]...

EDIT: I.e. because of the lack of SG flirts. I wonder how much I'll have missed out on when they do get implemented, since it sounded like it referred to flirts with quest npcs.

That is a subject (flirts with mission NPCs) that has never to my knowlege been addressed in regards to same-sex romance. There is however a thread about it in the Suggestion Box, as I happen to know because I created it when playing my Smuggler first became jaw-clenchingly aggravating on account of all the flirt prompts I was meeting with - and all of them with the ladies, of course.

So if you want to see that addressed, I'd be overjoyed if you'd go give a bump to my request for Same-Gender [Flirt] Prompts. It might be fun to get the topic going on multiple threads from multiple directions over the weekend.

He is? Where?

Almost every day at some point on Twitter.

Last activity I recall, he asked "For all SWTOR fans, how would your fave character celebrate Hallowe'en?" He actually faved my reply, so I am apparently not on his Hate List, whether he knows that's me or not. ;)

I never thought I'd say this, but now that there are multiple threads about SG-whatevers, it's actually hard to keep track of them all! Not that this is a bad thing, it's just... different.

I keep getting Uluain's and the other one confused. To be honest, the whargle-bargle in them is the same, so...