Are missile lock breaking maneuvers working?

HoloGrinder

We looked into this and found that missile drones do indeed still fire at a player executing a defensive maneuver. This is due to the lock-on functioning a bit differently than a player's lock-on. We'll get this fixed in an upcoming patch!

:sy_spacestation:

While you're at it, can you fix the double cluster missile bug where the second missile still hits you even if you execute an engine maneuver? This occurs when you use the maneuver AFTER the missile has been fired, it will still hit you, though if you use it before the missile has been fired it will miss as normal.

We looked into this and found that missile drones do indeed still fire at a player executing a defensive maneuver. This is due to the lock-on functioning a bit differently than a player's lock-on. We'll get this fixed in an upcoming patch!

:sy_spacestation:

Damn im good.

On the subject of Missile Drone locks, is it possible to manually break them (besides using LOS), or is it going to get a lock on you no matter what once it targets you? In other words, is there any sort of tracking limit on the drones, such that you can get out of their firing arc?

But it does both of those things. It works exactly like the engine lock breaks work.

I get hit by missiles all the time through distortion field, and get locked right back on INSTANTLY after triggering it and breaking it, there's no 3s delay. You just instantly start getting locked on again

I get hit by missiles all the time through distortion field, and get locked right back on INSTANTLY after triggering it and breaking it, there's no 3s delay. You just instantly start getting locked on again

There isn't supposed to be, I don't think. Distortion field breaks missile locks once, and that's already pretty powerful.

As with any other lock break, breaking the lock before the missile is actually launched means the attacker's missile is not on cooldown and thus he can immediately re-paint the lock.

You might also be falling victim to the bugged double volley cluster missiles, which require two separate lock breaks (one for each damage packet) to fully prevent.

Of course, you could argue that since engine abilities prevent locks for the duration of the maneuver (which I believe is true, though I'm not positive), distortion field should also prevent locks for a duration. Obviously a six second immunity to missile locks would be grossly overpowered, and I'd argue that even a three second immunity to missile locks would be overpowered. Furthermore, since most maneuvers bring the victim out of the attacker's missile range and/or firing arc, I think there is little practical difference between engine abilities preventing new missile locks from applying and a theoretical change that would simply break current missile locks without this prevention.

Of course, you could argue that since engine abilities prevent locks for the duration of the maneuver (which I believe is true, though I'm not positive), distortion field should also prevent locks for a duration.

It is 100 percent true that engine abilities prevent missile locks for the duration of the maneuver, and also increase your evasion for a short time.

Distortion field on the other hand, will only break a lock that is currently being established. It can break multiple locks at once, but it does not provide short term immunity like an engine ability does.

Now, if you have full shield integrity, use an engine ability and STILL get hit - watch your shields, if it only takes out part of your shield arc, you were the victim of a bugged double cluster. Unfortunately due to shield piercing, these can still kill you, albeit very, very slowly.

Distortion Fields upgrade specifically says "Distortion Field disables missile lock of enemies currently targeting you." and not "Evades lock-on missiles when activated." like engine components.

Either the tier 3 uprade of distorion field is not working as intended, or the description is wrong.

The german translation is even more clear in describing it's function, btw.

Edited by Sindariel

There isn't supposed to be, I don't think. Distortion field breaks missile locks once, and that's already pretty powerful.

As with any other lock break, breaking the lock before the missile is actually launched means the attacker's missile is not on cooldown and thus he can immediately re-paint the lock.

You might also be falling victim to the bugged double volley cluster missiles, which require two separate lock breaks (one for each damage packet) to fully prevent.

Of course, you could argue that since engine abilities prevent locks for the duration of the maneuver (which I believe is true, though I'm not positive), distortion field should also prevent locks for a duration. Obviously a six second immunity to missile locks would be grossly overpowered, and I'd argue that even a three second immunity to missile locks would be overpowered. Furthermore, since most maneuvers bring the victim out of the attacker's missile range and/or firing arc, I think there is little practical difference between engine abilities preventing new missile locks from applying and a theoretical change that would simply break current missile locks without this prevention.

It would have been more balanced when Distortion Field's active was 3s.

Like I said though as a missile break it's.. kind of dubious.. when I wait for the missile to fire, I hit distortion field still get hit, every time.

Can't be all upgraded cluster missiles.

It would have been more balanced when Distortion Field's active was 3s.

That's still about twice as long as the engine abilities, while providing more evasion, at the cost of not getting advantageous positioning. Still overpowered.

Like I said though as a missile break it's.. kind of dubious.. when I wait for the missile to fire, I hit distortion field still get hit, every time.

Can't be all upgraded cluster missiles.

Just for you, I'll remake

for 2.6 when I have some time (possibly tomorrow, probably over the weekend). Feel free to do your own testing in the meantime.

The missile animation will still "hit" you, but you should not take damage if you successfully break a lock. No having said that the double volley cluster missiles are bugged and the break only stops the 1st damage tick (of the 2, equal amounts) from doing damage.

The first one might have been a cluster double shot as it hit me in the middle of the barrel role and did not kill my scout. The second one hit me at the end of the barrel roll and it was a proton torpedo judging by the blue trail and the respawn. I have no idea how many people where tracking me either.

I got tag teamed earlier. Did a maneuver as the pinging got louder. Got the fire ping. Maneuvered, then hit with a second missile that locked. All within about 1.5 seconds. If these evasion maneuvers are suppose to immune you for a few seconds, it is not functioning correctly at the moment.

That's still about twice as long as the engine abilities, while providing more evasion, at the cost of not getting advantageous positioning. Still overpowered.

I think it's the same window of time as barrel roll, in fact barrel roll buys more time, due to the fact that you shoot out of their range and they have to get back in range.

Edited by DarthVindictus

I got tag teamed earlier. Did a maneuver as the pinging got louder. Got the fire ping. Maneuvered, then hit with a second missile that locked. All within about 1.5 seconds. If these evasion maneuvers are suppose to immune you for a few seconds, it is not functioning correctly at the moment.

Yesterday I was getting missile launched pings without ever getting a locking on ping.

I think it's the same window of time as barrel roll, in fact barrel roll buys more time, due to the fact that you shoot out of their range and they have to get back in range.

That's the advantageous positioning I was talking about. Still overpowered.

That's the advantageous positioning I was talking about. Still overpowered.

Well, if it doesn't break a missile in flight, it's not doing its job properly. as it is, cluster missiles can be launched every 4.3s optimally, that way outdoes any defensive maneuvers to evade them. They're an ezmode fire and forget weapon. At least concussion missiles have a decent cooldown and can't be spammed.

It often seems to me that people are able to engine boost away from my missiles and they....i dunno, run out of range before they hit them?

Like for eg I'll go for a lock and the enemy pulls an evasion maneuver like K Turn to break it, I then go for the lock again, get it and fire. The enemy then boosts and outruns the missile.

Is this intended? Am I misreading it? Going insane? Having a stroke? :rak_02:

It often seems to me that people are able to engine boost away from my missiles and they....i dunno, run out of range before they hit them?

Like for eg I'll go for a lock and the enemy pulls an evasion maneuver like K Turn to break it, I then go for the lock again, get it and fire. The enemy then boosts and outruns the missile.

Is this intended? Am I misreading it? Going insane? Having a stroke? :rak_02:

Lately I had some locks while my Engine Ability was in CD. To avoid massive damage from both Missiles and Blasters, I boosted and was ready to use Quick-Recharge to repair my shields...

But in the end... "Where did that missile go ?"