Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Obi Wan the Inflexible?

Slowpokeking

Palpatine: Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Obi Wan the Inflexible?

Anakin: No.

Palpatine: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a shameful secret. Obi Wan was a honorable Master of the Jedi, so inflexible and so resilient, he could keep his mind calm to defeat foes who are...much stronger than him. He had such a belief of the Light Side, he could even keep his discipline...in the darkest time.

Anakin: He could actually...keep his discipline even in the darkest time?

Palpatine: The light side of the Force is a pathway to many choices some consider to be stubborn.

Anakin: What happened to him?

Palpatine: He became so honorable, the only thing he was afraid of was losing his discipline...while he never did, eventually of course, he lost something more important. Unfortunately, he refused his padawan's help when his lover's life was at risk. Then he tried to defend his belief but...enraged his foe when his foe was torturing his lover. Obi Wan saw it coming but could think nothing other than keep his own discipline. Ironic. He never lose his moral...but he let his lover lost everything for his choice.

Anakin: Is it possible to avoid such tragedy, no, folly?

Palpatine: Not as a Jedi.

Seriously, I do believe Palpatine will let Anakin know what Obi Wan did for obvious reason.

Inflexible is a sign of courage. It means you will not bend your convictions under pressure.

Sure Obiwan lost Satine, but Satine never lost faith in Obiwan. She loved him because of his strong convictions and his strength of character. This is the polar opposite of Anakin, who changed his beliefs and was willing to kill younglings to help Padme. This change of character made Padme lose faith in Anakin.

A) Satine : I have always loved you, I always will.

B) Padme : I don't know you anymore. Your going down a path I can't follow.

If I got to choose what dying words I want my lover to say to me. I am probably going to go with Choice A.

Edited by Darth__Carnal

Inflexible is a sign of courage. It means you will not bend your convictions under pressure.

Sure Obiwan lost Satine, but Satine never lost faith in Obiwan. She loved him because of his strong convictions and his strength of character. This is the polar opposite of Anakin, who changed his beliefs and was willing to kill younglings to help Padme. This change of character made Padme lose faith in Anakin.

If I got to choose what dying words I want my lover to say to me. I am probably going to go with Choice A.

yes, she loved him for being "nice", padme deserves a golden medal for her stupidity. pity he did not impale her for those blasphemous words. and where she would go if not for his carnage - she would die soon anyway, at least he tried to change it - and she cannot follow him, what a terrible person. at least she died - but she deserved much worse death than she received. stupid, utterly idiotic person.

So you will let your loved one lose everything to keep your pride? That's not courage really, but selfishness.

There is no just 2 ways, both Anakin and Obi Wan went too extreme, that's why both of them caused tragedy.

If all Anakin did is just disobey the council's decision and go with his friend to rescue Padme, it's not wrong.

I'm not going to let my lover die, I would never care of her faith on me if her life is at risk, simple.

Edited by Slowpokeking

If this is a reference to the 5th season of TCW a spoiler tag would be nice. I couldn't think of any other context in which Obi Wan has a lover, but in earlier seasons there was this memorable conversation:

Anakin: "I'll take care of this, Obi-Wan. You, go find your girlfriend."

Obi-Wan: "Right.… No! Anakin! She's not my…"

However the 5th season is currently not (legally) available here... it's gonna be months, if not years until then.

So you will let your loved one lose everything to keep your pride? That's not courage really, but selfishness.

There is no just 2 ways, both Anakin and Obi Wan went too extreme, that's why both of them caused tragedy.

If all Anakin did is just disobey the council's decision and go with his friend to rescue Padme, it's not wrong.

I'm not going to let my lover die, I would never care of her faith on me if her life is at risk, simple.

This "at least they are alive" mentality is how despots and dictators rule for so long. Doing what is right needs to transcend this. It all comes back to quality of life: does living as a slave beat dying as a free person? I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. That would include my loved ones, because I know that they feel the same way.

This "at least they are alive" mentality is how despots and dictators rule for so long. Doing what is right needs to transcend this. It all comes back to quality of life: does living as a slave beat dying as a free person? I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. That would include my loved ones, because I know that they feel the same way.

What does bring Anakin for help and let him fix the ship, not to enrage Maul has anything to do with living as a slave?

When did he ask Anakin not to come along? He may be assigned to another task by the Jedi Council and couldn't help Obi.

In the novel Shadow Conspiracy.

"And the Jedi Council will do nothing, of course." Anakin said disgustedly.

"It's not as simple as that," Obi Wan said reluctantly. "The Senate_"

"The Senate will do even less," Anakin said. "But we're not the Senate or the Council, are we? Ready when you are, Obi Wan."

Obi Wan felt a surge of gratitude. Anakin was loyal, and a good friend. But that wasn't what he wanted from his former Padawan.

"I will hear quite enough from Master Yoda without involving you," Obi Wan said."Let's keep the level of uproar to merely enormous, shall we?"

Anakin shook his head.

"Anakin, this is my burden to bear," Obi Wan said. "I appreciate your wanting to help, but I must do this alone."

Anakin gazed at Obi Wan, saw he wouldn't change his mind, and nodded unhappily.

The cartoon had to delete this scene because there isn't enough time.

In the novel Shadow Conspiracy.

The cartoon had to delete this scene because there isn't enough time.

With all the pointless screentime used up, something as important as that was left out? Ok. Let's say that was the case, it sounds within character. How could Obi-wan forsee that Maul would be involved? Obi-wan would be more than a match for Visla, should he have to face him. Sure he had the Force, but so does the Council and they couldn't even tell Palpatine was the Sith Lord.

And to your last question, I really didn't answer that.

What does bring Anakin for help and let him fix the ship, not to enrage Maul has anything to do with living as a slave?

All of it, but politics are a factor.

Brining Anakin to fight Deathwatch would have been overkill. Obi-wan was already going to be in a heap of trouble, bringing Anakin and his hot headedness into a situation that could require a gentile touch would be adding gas to the fire. Anakin could have made a bad situation worse, and expose the Jedi Council to negative reprecussions. It would be perfect propaganda to show how the Jedi are a rogue element within the Republic. One Jedi is bad enough, but can be explained away. Having two Jedi operating together, in time of war when resources are streached thin already, would mean that the Council has lost control of it's Jedi (and their respective commands. Don't forget, they are technically Republic Generals) or that the Council approved of their actions against the will of the Senate. Can't imagine the firestorm from that one.

Given what was known, Anakin would have made things worse. I can't imagine a more selfish and self serving act than to bring his friend along.

Fixing the ship. Time was of the essence and the broken ship aided in disarming the Deathwatch mentally. Sure it was a risk, but Obi-wan is a Jedi.

I've gone back and watched it again, what made Maul kill her wasn't Obi-wan making him mad. As soon as I saw the way Maul was sitting, I knew he was going to kill Satine. Not a word was uttered yet. Maul planned to kill her in front of Obi-wan to enrage him. Simple Sith tactic. She was dead the moment Maul set foot on Mandalore, he just used her as bait and when the bait was taken, he killed her. It had nothing to do with making Maul mad.

Edited by Thylbanus

I don't understand what obi-wan did wrong. everything he did was logical he did not ask anikan for help because he did not need it, at the time he did not know that it was a trap let alone a trap made by 2 sith. He slipped in and got her out so easily if maul had not been there and waiting they would have gotten away no problem. No amount of groveling on obi-wan's part would have stopped maul from killing her. maul killed her simply to hurt obi.

I will now unfairly contrast this to malgus

Malgus: i love you

twi'lek : erhmegerd I wuv u to

Malgus: but i like powar better *stab*

twi'lek: lul wut? *dead*

With all the pointless screentime used up, something as important as that was left out? Ok. Let's say that was the case, it sounds within character. How could Obi-wan forsee that Maul would be involved? Obi-wan would be more than a match for Visla, should he have to face him. Sure he had the Force, but so does the Council and they couldn't even tell Palpatine was the Sith Lord.

His failure has nothing to do with Maul, Maul did nothing other than asked the Death Watch to shoot rockets before Twilight crashed, after it was crashed, it got no difference if you change Maul brothers to Viszla and Bo-Katan. Obi Wan got 0 chance to get away with Satine after that.

All of it, but politics are a factor.

Brining Anakin to fight Deathwatch would have been overkill. Obi-wan was already going to be in a heap of trouble, bringing Anakin and his hot headedness into a situation that could require a gentile touch would be adding gas to the fire. Anakin could have made a bad situation worse, and expose the Jedi Council to negative reprecussions. It would be perfect propaganda to show how the Jedi are a rogue element within the Republic. One Jedi is bad enough, but can be explained away. Having two Jedi operating together, in time of war when resources are streached thin already, would mean that the Council has lost control of it's Jedi (and their respective commands. Don't forget, they are technically Republic Generals) or that the Council approved of their actions against the will of the Senate. Can't imagine the firestorm from that one.

Not overkill at all, unlike last few times, the Death Watch had taken over Mandalore and they got crime families behind them. And it proved they need it.

So what? Mandalore is a very important faction, it's the Jedi council's short sight to not investigate it.

And that's nothing compare to someone's life.

Given what was known, Anakin would have made things worse. I can't imagine a more selfish and self serving act than to bring his friend along.

Let Anakin stay on the ship and start it when they got out could save them a lot of time. He's passionate but not brainless.

Fixing the ship. Time was of the essence and the broken ship aided in disarming the Deathwatch mentally. Sure it was a risk, but Obi-wan is a Jedi.

It only takes one hour.

I've gone back and watched it again, what made Maul kill her wasn't Obi-wan making him mad. As soon as I saw the way Maul was sitting, I knew he was going to kill Satine. Not a word was uttered yet. Maul planned to kill her in front of Obi-wan to enrage him. Simple Sith tactic. She was dead the moment Maul set foot on Mandalore, he just used her as bait and when the bait was taken, he killed her. It had nothing to do with making Maul mad.

Maul was trying to torture her at the beginning, then he was enraged and went kill her.

Most sith dont realy love in my opinion, its more of an obsession over their passions then realy love.

sith are drived mostly by selfish desires.

Obi wan simply loved satine for what she was and her loved him as such, its very clear in this episode when Maul tells Obi to release his anger and satine tells him not to.

I wouldnt say they werent driven by their passions they are human after all, but both of them didnt let these feelings to become obsessions and cloud their judgements. Not like Anakin for instance.

Maul was trying to torture her at the beginning, then he was enraged and went kill her.
He was enraged for years, but he even tells to Obi that he planed all along to kill satine in the moment he understood what she meant for Obi wan. It wasnt Obi wan fault, not realy. Edited by Spartanik

I don't understand what obi-wan did wrong. everything he did was logical he did not ask anikan for help because he did not need it, at the time he did not know that it was a trap let alone a trap made by 2 sith.

Yeah he didn't need it, so we saw Satine came back alive right?

He knew

1. Satine lost Mandalore

2. Crime families are involved.

Which means it's much more serious than last few times.

He slipped in and got her out so easily if maul had not been there and waiting they would have gotten away no problem. No amount of groveling on obi-wan's part would have stopped maul from killing her. maul killed her simply to hurt obi.

Easily? He was already exposed after that guard found him, and Maul did not attack before Twilight's crash.

Maul was trying to torture her at the beginning, he was enraged later then killed her.

Most sith dont realy love in my opinion, its more of an obsession over their passions then realy love.

sith are drived mostly by selfish desires.

Obi wan simply loved satine for what she was and her loved him as such, its very clear in this episode when Maul tells Obi to release his anger and satine tells him not to.

I wouldnt say they werent driven by their passions they are human after all, but both of them didnt let these feelings to become obsessions and cloud their judgements. Not like Anakin for instance.

He was enraged for years, but he even tells to Obi that he planed all along to kill satine in the moment he understood what she meant for Obi wan. It wasnt Obi wan fault, not realy.

Obi Wan let the discipline cloud his judgement, that's why he failed.

No, he said he wait for years but in truth he never knew Satine before he met Viszla.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Obi Wan let the discipline cloud his judgement, that's why he failed.

No, he said he wait for years but in truth he never knew Satine before he met Viszla.

That is not what i meant.... and its not what Maul meant either... sad you didnt understand what Maul said...

He tells obi that never meant for Obi wan to be killed, but to suffer. Only when he understood that satine holded meaning for him, then satines fate was set. Only way to save her was to kill maul and savage and the remaing death watch and his army, even with anakin there... either way Obi wan didnt know.

But about obi wan i belive its the oposite it was his discipline, or rather i think his nature that saved him from falling to the dark side or worst. And how is judgement was clouded? he never lost perspective of what he was, or what satine meant for him. If he enraged himself like Maul wanted he then would have the mind clouded. And satine would be dead all the same.

Also i must say Maul got enraged so badly because Obi wan was telling the truth, and was hiting a vulnerable spot of Mauls. That shows clarity not miss judgment in my opinion.

Edited by Spartanik

That is not what i meant.... and its not what Maul meant either... sad you didnt understand what Maul said...

He tells obi that never meant for Obi wan to be killed, but to suffer. Only when he understood that satine holded meaning for him, then satines fate was set. Only way to save her was to kill maul and savage and the remaing death watch and his army, even with anakin there... either way Obi wan didnt know.

Maul never said he was going to kill Satine before he was enraged, what he did was torture her to lure Obi Wan to the Dark Side. I don't see him kill Satine in short time otherwise it would take secs for her to be choked to death. So don't enrage him, don't let him kill Satine to save some time, is it something hard to do?

But about obi wan i belive its the oposite it was his discipline, or rather i think his nature that saved him from falling to the dark side or worst. And how is judgement was clouded? he never lost perspective of what he was, or what satine meant for him. If he enraged himself like Maul wanted he then would have the mind clouded. And satine would be dead all the same.

Anakin offered help and he refused, if he brought him, Satine could be saved. Yes, he didn't fall to the Dark Side, but he let his lover died for his discipline.

Nobody asked him to enrage himself, but can he, pls, close his mouth when he saw Maul was getting angry for his words?

Do you think it's good idea to enrage the kidnapper to kill the hostage? It's not "telling the truth or not", it's to save life.

Edited by Slowpokeking

IMO, intentional or not Obi-Wan saved Satine from the long drawn out torture filled death that she so richly deserved for being a traitor to Mandalore. Instead of intense drawn out torture, Kenobi goaded Maul into giving her a relatively quick and clean death via lightsaber.

Its not like Kenobi could've saved her life regardless, what with the grim twins and half a dozen deathwatch surrounding him.

IMO, intentional or not Obi-Wan saved Satine from the long drawn out torture filled death that she so richly deserved for being a traitor to Mandalore. Instead of intense drawn out torture, Kenobi goaded Maul into giving her a relatively quick and clean death via lightsaber.

Its not like Kenobi could've saved her life regardless, what with the grim twins and half a dozen deathwatch surrounding him.

As long as she's alive, there is chance for her to be rescued, just like we don't hope there is a guy pop out in season 4's end to keep taunt Maul and let him kill Obi Wan right way.

If he brought Anakin with him, Anakin would be able to start the ship right after they got on the speeder, activate the weapons and save them a lot of time.