A suggestion to improve mercenaries a little.

Kaedusz

Let rocket out not interrupt casting. Basically if you are casting Blazing Bolts it won't interrupt it and would be usable during the cast or it can be started while you are in the air.

Remove it from the global cds too so you can cast for example Heatseaking Missile while in the air.

Not for balance's sake but it would be cool.

Edited by Kaedusz

Although I'd love to just see it resist attacks (see Gunslinger/Sniper roll) I'd also be interested in a redesign. Hastily thrown together:

- Propulsion Round has been renamed to Overload Shields!

- Rocket Out has been redesigned! Selecting a target location within 30m powers up the jetpack, emitting a ring of flames for 4 seconds. Each second of Rocket Out grants Flame Barrier, reflecting 25% of received damage to the attacker. Flame Barrier stacks up to 3 times. At the end of the cast, the Mercenary jets to the target location. Cooldown: 1m30.

- Overload Shields has been redesigned! Selecting a target location within 30m overloads the shield generator, creating a barrier for 4 seconds. Each second of Overload Shields grants Shield Barrier, reflecting 25% of the received damage to the attacker. Overload Shields stacks up to 3 times. At the end of the cast, the shield propels the Commando to the target location. Cooldown: 1m30.

The ability then doubles as an escape and focus breaker.

Although I'd love to just see it resist attacks (see Gunslinger/Sniper roll) I'd also be interested in a redesign.

I figure since they didn't make it similar to Mad Dash or the roll the first time, that was their plan for it, and the improvement would be in another direction.

Edited by Kaedusz

Rocket out needs to be redesigned so you go forward not backwards, In arenas (where mercs are the most vulnerable) rocket out is limited because you need space behind you for it to be effective, the 4 sec leap immunity should also be a passive and not a utility. If you add the following to my suggestion

- a ranged root

- first 6 secs of reactive shield work like saber reflect can be used while cc'd, (this is your focus break)

- bring interrupt inline with other ranged/healing classes to 18 secs (just because its a pet peeve)

- A better stealth detector then the hail mary that is stealth scan

do all this and suddenly mercs become competitive and a little self reliant without being OP

Note: This is for dps, for healers to be competitive that's a different story but one step at a time right.

Edited by MuskyBoy
didn't add all I wanted

Honestly very little would go a long way for merc dps to have a high quality of life. To eliminate a lot of work for the devs, all they need to do is strengthen the specs innate defenses by making some of the utilities baseline.

Some of the utilities that could be considered to be made baseline are:

• Power Shield – Energy Shield now further decreases ability activation pushback by 30% and makes you immune to interrupts.

• Protective Field – Increases all healing received by 20% while Energy Shield is active.

• Stabilized Armor – Reduces damage taken from area effects by 30%. Additionally, while stunned, you take 30% less damage from all sources.

• Smoke Screen – Rocket Out generates a Smoke Screen when used, keeping you from being leapt to or pulled and making you immune to interrupts and ability activation pushbacks for the the next 4 seconds.

(I believe 4 seconds is not long enough, it should be 6 seconds of immunity.)

Not to make it complicated, this is one way to really make mercs have better survivability and give them a real chance at being on an even ground in ranked or 4v4s.

Obviously if this was done, some new utilities would have to be added to fill the spots taken when making these baked into the mercs innate defenses.

Rocket out needs to be redesigned so you go forward not backwards, In arenas (where mercs are the most vulnerable) rocket out is limited because you need space behind you for it to be effective, the 4 sec leap immunity should also be a passive and not a utility. If you add the following to my suggestion

- a ranged root

- first 6 secs of reactive shield work like saber reflect can be used while cc'd, (this is your focus break)

- bring interrupt inline with other ranged/healing classes to 18 secs (just because its a pet peeve)

- A better stealth detector then the hail mary that is stealth scan

do all this and suddenly mercs become competitive and a little self reliant without being OP

Note: This is for dps, for healers to be competitive that's a different story but one step at a time right.

Lots of good ideas here. What bugs me is how long it takes for the devs to do anything.

• 1 month later...

Mercs will always be the red headed step child until we are given a way to disengage combat.

Mercs should get our own form of phasewalk, call it "Waypoint" you set a point, and just like phasewalk if you need to disengage you rocket straight up in the air and land back at your way point.

But no, sorcs get phasewalk even though they already had lol-H2F-godbubble, I we get stuck with this crap called Rocket Out.

Mercs will always be the red headed step child until we are given a way to disengage combat.

Mercs should get our own form of phasewalk, call it "Waypoint" you set a point, and just like phasewalk if you need to disengage you rocket straight up in the air and land back at your way point.

But no, sorcs get phasewalk even though they already had lol-H2F-godbubble, I we get stuck with this crap called Rocket Out.

I always thought this should've been the case when these movement abilities came out. Give a phasewalk-like ability to mercs and give Rocket Out to sorcs. That'd give mercs the much needed disengage ability and still let sorcs have a way of kiting without giving them two disengages like they now have.

Love the idea of the phase-walk style rocket ability. Not quite sure how it would work for Commandos... rocket boots?

As an alternative, if you have a friendly target when you use Rocket Out you jump to them. If you have no/enemy target, you jet backwards as with the current Rocket Out.

I do quite like Rocket Out in its current form - constant repositioning, Huttball carrying, breaking out of Ravage roots, etc. But we need something more.

Love the idea of the phase-walk style rocket ability. Not quite sure how it would work for Commandos... rocket boots?

As an alternative, if you have a friendly target when you use Rocket Out you jump to them. If you have no/enemy target, you jet backwards as with the current Rocket Out.

I do quite like Rocket Out in its current form - constant repositioning, Huttball carrying, breaking out of Ravage roots, etc. But we need something more.

No you cant.

energy shield must be a absorb shield in my few we lack a lot in defence

that energy shield won't work and players rape to that shield like a peace of paper

compare to the samle jugg have have way more defence skills

i saw in pvp 5 players try to kill 1 jugg didt work his hp didt drop more then 20%

and he kill all 5 players -.-

then you think i have heavy armor more then 36% damage redution and energy schield

and a jugg slash me in a few hits boom gone

even a IA or Smugg can take more hits -.-

in my few there is realy something wrong with the BH and trooper class atm

i realy hope DEV team will make my favorite class beter

On a similar note, please feel free to check out my forum on future ability ideas for all specs if the level cap increases again. It is primarily molded by community suggestions, as I want it to be what the community as a whole wants to see. Furthermore, I welcome constructive feedback on what I can do to improve the list. Please feel free to check it out, as it is very much a pride of mine.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=880409

(oh, and yes, it includes stuff for mercs)

• 1 month later...
Lots of good ideas here. What bugs me is how long it takes for the devs to do anything.

The reason it takes them so long is because they lie to the players saying they 'keep tabs' on what goes on in pvp. Clearly they do not watch it or not watch it near often enough. Because if they did I'd imagine we'd have some of these ideas in place already and, we wouldn't need a thread asking for some improvement.

that energy shield won't work and players rape to that shield like a peace of paper

i saw in pvp 5 players try to kill 1 jugg didt work his hp didt drop more then 20%

then you think i have heavy armor more then 36% damage redution and energy schield

There has always been something wrong with our class since they nerfed tracer missle way back when. That was the beginning of the end for mercs and once they took away our range stun with electro dart we simply became meat shields.

Rocket Out is a pointless ability when fighting Jedi/Sith since they can jump right to us after using the move or stun us in the process never truly being able to 'Rocket Out' as the move implies.

Juggs can be tough to bring down 1 on 1 if they have all their CDs up. But 5 people on a Jugg and his health doesn't drop more than 20%, and he goes on to kill all 5 people? That's pure fantasy.

There has always been something wrong with our class since they nerfed tracer missle way back when. That was the beginning of the end for mercs and once they took away our range stun with electro dart we simply became meat shields.

Rocket Out is a pointless ability when fighting Jedi/Sith since they can jump right to us after using the move or stun us in the process never truly being able to 'Rocket Out' as the move implies.

It's not pointless, it can negate a gap closer your opponent uses. Say a mara/jugg charges to you, you then rocket out and you're at a comfortable distance again. Makes kiting a hell of a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...
Honestly very little would go a long way for merc dps to have a high quality of life. To eliminate a lot of work for the devs, all they need to do is strengthen the specs innate defenses by making some of the utilities baseline.

Some of the utilities that could be considered to be made baseline are:

• Power Shield – Energy Shield now further decreases ability activation pushback by 30% and makes you immune to interrupts.

• Protective Field – Increases all healing received by 20% while Energy Shield is active.

• Stabilized Armor – Reduces damage taken from area effects by 30%. Additionally, while stunned, you take 30% less damage from all sources.

• Smoke Screen – Rocket Out generates a Smoke Screen when used, keeping you from being leapt to or pulled and making you immune to interrupts and ability activation pushbacks for the the next 4 seconds.

(I believe 4 seconds is not long enough, it should be 6 seconds of immunity.)

Not to make it complicated, this is one way to really make mercs have better survivability and give them a real chance at being on an even ground in ranked or 4v4s.

Obviously if this was done, some new utilities would have to be added to fill the spots taken when making these baked into the mercs innate defenses.

I agree that Smoke Screen should be baseline...should have been designed that way to begin with.

Back when Arsenal Merc was seriously lacking in PvP many folks discussed the idea behind Rocket Out on these forums and the concept was well liked.

Problem is they did not actually put it in the game until way later, so many things had changed already making the idea fairly out of date by not giving it baseline leap/pull immunity.

Fill the missing utility by giving Rocket Out root/snare break.