[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

It's simple, really, he didn't come out and say "high rez textures", he didn't come out and say "cutscene-quality textures" he said "greater visual fidelity"

If we have 50% texture compression now, "greater visual fidelity" could be 49% texture compression, 25% texture compression, textures even better than what we have in cutscenes now, it could be bloody anything.

I think the terminology for this is "weasel word". It was a promise of some liquid, intangible amount of improvement, rather than a cut-and-dry "this is our intended goal".

I agree this is within the realm of possibility, but I see no reason to assume this unless they say otherwise. He was talking about hi res textures and the thread was about hi res textures, so one should probably assume that was what he meant. Why try to read between the lines on his post? Stephen is probably just reguritating tech talk that the devs give him anyway.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much what this guy said:

"Could we get an interrim fix where just our own characters are rendered with high rez textures.. So we can look at ourselves and not see an smudged blob?

The textures are fine when we run around looking at other players, but we spend quite a bit more time staring at our own player and I personally would like that to look a little crisper.. "

If you really feel that people are too stupid to be trusted to select their own settings, here's a solution. Have the launcher run a scan at the first time you launch the game, let it detect what a PC's specs are and then set Low/Medium/High/whatever accordingly, and gray out any higher options that they cannot run without severe framerate loss.

Except I'm not pc illiterate. I'm an avid pc gamer.

I've never once used " can you run it", or the like, and typically completly ignore default settings when a game client scans hardware.

Hell some times games don't even recognise hardware properly.

Skyrim will default to medium with a 7970.

I remember Oblivion defaulted to medium on my 1950xtx, some 7 years ago.

It would not be cool. AT ALL, if a game hard locked to certain settings.

IMO, if you are half pc illiterate, and don't know what settings are or why your fps are low when you pick high settings, you should just play Xbox.

That or start learning stuff.

The self entitled ( I just wanna press the shiny go button and play !) and uneducated get what they get.

Edited by Your_dominus

Wouldn't flame you for giving me advice haha

I've been thinking about Single Players, but I feel like I'm about to leave one >.>

The MMO grind is pretty tiresome though. Haven't played portal 2 yet, maybe I'll get that bad boy.

Its basically how I feel, when I go somewhere with old people and they say OH I BROUGHT COOKIES, and hand me those vanilla rip off things...

I didn't mean you would be the one flaming me, but some people on these forums are really sensitive on the topic of which mmo is better ;P

I haven't even played skyrim yet, so I really have to give that a go.

As for this game feeling single player, me and my friends do flashpoints almost every night, so the game feels very mmo to me. I think the game can be played very single player, but the options are there, they just aren't mandatory (which I prefer, but a lot of people don't).

Perhaps the OP can add this suggestion to the first page so it's more accessible to BW to see?

To Bioware: Please add one of the following two functions:

1) An option to use High-res textures for just your character and your party members/compaions

2) An option to use High-res textures for the first 20-ish character models rendered.

I think that would placate a lot of people and would be a great [temporary] fix. Not to mention it wouldn't take long to code and implement either.

So it's funny it's as if it's lie just like their fasle advertisement is with high res textures.

I also wonder about what the critics have seen now. It's possible they could have actually witnessed high res textures when we do not lol.

That is indeed an interesting question -- I wonder if reviewer-distributed builds included support for high rez ingame. Hmm...

This is nonsense. You already have high-res textures, we've all seen the cutscenes and then wince as we go back to blurry crap. They're already in the game, all you need to do is let us select the setting.

You're not really understanding the terminal vastness of this problem.

If you were to enable it, the game would **** your computer and its GPU (even more than it already is) and you might possibly lose a GPU. I'm positive Bioware won't raise their ahnd in accountability to that - but I'm almost willing to entertain the idea of, if that were to happen, to ask for evidence from the company that the game is, indeed, that resource intensive, and get money.

But I digress, the problem is much more than simply letting us select the option.

If you were to enable it, the game would **** your computer and its GPU (even more than it already is) and you might possibly lose a GPU. I'm positive Bioware won't raise their ahnd in accountability to that - but I'm almost willing to entertain the idea of, if that were to happen, to ask for evidence from the company that the game is, indeed, that resource intensive, and get money.

But I digress, the problem is much more than simply letting us select the option.

Didn't people play with high res in Beta?

It's simple, really, he didn't come out and say "high rez textures", he didn't come out and say "cutscene-quality textures" he said "greater visual fidelity"

If we have 50% texture compression now, "greater visual fidelity" could be 49% texture compression, 25% texture compression, textures even better than what we have in cutscenes now, it could be bloody anything.

I think the terminology for this is "weasel word". It was a promise of some liquid, intangible amount of improvement, rather than a cut-and-dry "this is our intended goal".

They're still trying to figure out the problem. Whatever their intended goal may be, it would be irresponsible to post it as they don't know if they can fulfill it. The best course of action is to simply say that they're working on making the issue better. If they say "we intend X to happen", you know that 3 months down the road, if they didn't achieve their goal exactly (even if they came close), every hater from America to China would be saying "U PROMIZZED US FIXZ, UNSUBBBBB". It may not reassure me or you as much, but I understand WHY he did it, and I would probably do it were I in his shoes.

What are you talking about?

This crappy half finished, unpolished game puts my PC to sleep. Literally. It's bored to tears.

I can assure you I could easily play with real, high(er) quality textures.

It's bad coding at fault on the Fleet, not 1337 graphics.

I can play any handful of other far superior graphics wise, mmorpgs in busy areas. Why not this one?

Edited by Your_dominus

Looks like I'm hanging up my saddle, boys and girls. It was a pleasure trolling on the outskirts of these forums. Probably the most fun I've had on any forum, really. I'll be easing my foot off the pedal for now.

Seeing how we have some heavy contenders in the Epic Fail Whale division here at EA/BioWare (Ability Response, Performance, Texture Quality & Graphics), I can finally put a rest to my distress and not worry about if the game will be repaired next patch or not. Mr. Stephen Reid has convinced me that these problems will not be corrected in a reasonable amount of time, and while it is melancholy to realize this, a huge weight is finally off of my shoulders. And to that I am grateful.

Most likely I will peer my head in here every now and then, but one thing is for sure: a freshly-sealed SWTOR two-month Game Time card box will be collecting dust on my shelf for an indefinite amount of time. Still, I will look upon it every now and then, reminiscing on the good times when I wholeheartedly believed Betas were works-in-progress toward a better goal, and going Gold meant having a game that was finally worth investing my time and money in.

Live long and prosper. :jawa_cool:

But it is something we would like to do at our own peril. If they gave me the option, and a big warning, then I'd be happy. It's not up to them to tell me what my PC can handle. I know what it can handle.

Also, if I lose a GPU because of graphics processing, then either it was a POS, or I was overclocking way too much. These machines are meant to process things. That is their purpose

People keep telling you that you are wrong, yet you still keep on trucking. I have to admire your perseverance. Now that is the defintion of not giving a F***. ;)

I have been reading your responses and I must say you have given me a chuckle.

Maybe you are just too honest and do not understand the fine art of spin or BS.

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

The fact he says "higher fidelity" and "marked improvement" without actually saying "cinematic quality" or "high resolution" in a thread about those specific complaints generally is politicking at its best .

Ask yourself this:

If Bioware only improved the textures somewhat but not to the point you see in the cinematics, could you come back here and actually quote him anywhere as saying "yes they will be as good as you see in our cinematic scenes"?

No, you could not, since while you could assume he is implying hi res/cinematic textures based on what he said, he never specifically said it.

Until he specifically states "we are happy to announce that the ingame textures will now be the same quality as the cinematic ones", he is just doing some PR spin and in the end Bioware is cannot be called on it if they don't deliver.

Again just because someone says you will get better graphics in the thread about hi res graphics does not actually mean you will get hi res graphics. It just means they will be better. It could be "25%" better and they would have still told the truth.

Didn't people play with high res in Beta?

Yes, but in beta not nearly as many people were in the same world instance as they are now. Back then, there'd be world 1, 2, and maybe even 3 on each planet on each server. Now, however, we're all in the same instance (I believe) so there are far more people at any one time.

btw if anyone is still having consistency problems with the graphics (ex. flags, vendor stands, etc. going in and out) I solved these by setting the overall texture setting to low. They all look great now, go figure.

Unfortunately I still look like Dash Rendar :/

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=dash+rendar+shadows+of+the+empire&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=597&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=AY2FKWQi-DQZsM:&imgrefurl=http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/image/2215/star-wars-shadows-of-the-empire/95070/&docid=Pr_fj2EZMz6yFM&imgurl=http://www.vgchartz.com/games/pics/star-wars-shadows-of-the-empire_38450.jpg&w=400&h=300&ei=1EsOT7mCHKnc0QGn0IySAw&zoom=1

Mr. Stephen Reid has convinced me that these problems will not be corrected in a reasonable amount of time
He actually has. At most two months is very reasonable considering the scope of the issue. You're just an unreasonable consumer. Then again, "unreasonable consumer" when talking about anything computer-related is rather redundant. Edited by MaverickXIV

I have been reading your responses and I must say you have given me a chuckle.

Maybe you are just too honest and do not understand the fine art of spin or BS.

The fact he says "higher fidelity" and "marked improvement" without actually saying "cinematic quality" or "high resolution" in a thread about those specific complaints generally is politicking at its best .

Ask yourself this:

If Bioware only improved the textures somewhat but not to the point you see in the cinematics, could you come back here and actually quote him anywhere as saying "yes they will be as good as you see in our cinematic scenes"?

No, you could not, since while you could assume he is implying hi res/cinematic textures based on what he said, he never specifically said it.

Until he specifically states "we are happy to announce that the ingame textures will now be the same quality as the cinematic ones", he is just doing some PR spin and in the end Bioware is cannot be called on it if they don't deliver.

Again just because someone says you will get better graphics in the thread about hi res graphics does not actually mean you will get hi res graphics. It just means they will be better. It could be "25%" better and they would have still told the truth.

The exact point (although more eloquently delivered) that I raised earlier. He still has not said what "marked improvement" means. I highly doubt it is much better than what we have now