Ideas for Improving Ilum Event's PvP Dailies

GalnarDegana

Hello everyone! I have been thinking about the Ilum PvP dailies this last week, and several things are bothering me. I thought I would lay them out here, and you could add to this post as you think of ways to improve the PvP dailies.

NOTE: This post is purely for the PvP dailies. If you have issues with other things about the event, including but not limited to, World Bosses, Reputation, rewards, and bugs, this isn't the place for those. This is simply to expound on the issues that are faced with the PvP dailies.

Problems

1. The fastest way to complete the [PvP] dailies is to ignore other players and stand in a line to drop off the cubes.
  2. The [PvP] dailies do not actually involve any PvP.
  3. Due to a) long spawn times, b) long reset timer on the middle pylon, and c) having to do four cubes, there are no incentives to do anything but focus on the [PvP] dailies, since they take a long time compared to the PvE dailies.
  4. There is now no place in the galaxy where you can earn Valor by doing World PvP. This is not what the community wanted when we said we wanted World PvP.

Possible Solutions

I think it is possible to solve all of these problems simultaneously, by doing the following:

• Add an alternative mission step that will allow you to complete the [PvP] dailies by killing say, 50 people. The reason it would be so high is to encourage you to do the cubes instead.
  • Landing a killing-blow on a cube-carrier gives you 5 kills, but you get the cube. The timer does not reset, but continues to tick down from 10 minutes.
  • Lower the number of cubes needed to two cubes.
  • Make the pylon have a 30 second cooldown, instead of a minute long cooldown.
  • Have a two second cast time.
  • Put the Valor rewards back into Ilum.

Scenarios would play out like this: teams would initially see that only two cubes are required, and would thus go get the cubes and run back to middle. Then people who have done this before would camp the middle area. Because the cube carrier would bring friends (as anything else is silly), they would be protected as they approached the center. If they can get the 2-second cast time off, then they have completed half of their daily. What is more likely to happen is that there will be an all-out brawl in the middle area, and both sides will get several kills. If the carrier dies, his death feeds his killer 5 kills and he gets the cube. He can either deposit it, or he can click it off, but he will probably die anyway, so having it will just blow up enemies around him when he dies, possibly netting him kills.

All playstyles are rewarded. World PvP is brought to Ilum. The whining stops...at least for 5 minutes :D

Nice ideas.

On the plus side: the fact that lines do form mean I have a nice target to attack when I show up. I kind of like that I have a legitimized opportunity to grief these wusses. I'm not into real griefing (light side +5 IRL) but it is nice to have a mission where something approaching griefing is the main point of the mission.

If it was always anarchy I wouldn't get the satisfaction of there being a line when I show up and anarchy when I leave.

• 1 month later...

Interesting to note that they reduced the number of cubes to 2! I like this change, as it already feels like you can complete your daily easily. More importantly, I don't have my conscience yelling at me when I attack someone with a cube.

I think this has already improved things, but I would still love to have actual PvP quests, requiring actual PvP kills.

i would be happy if they simply exchanged the free for all pvp into opposite faction pvp only, and made the entire western ice shelf a pvp flagged area (like it used to be)

there shouldnt be safe pve sections of a pvp zone how much more carebear can we get

Edited by Arlanon

i would be happy if they simply exchanged the free for all pvp into opposite faction pvp only, and made the entire western ice shelf a pvp flagged area (like it used to be)

That's what happened with the old Ilum & faction imbalance made it painful if you were on the "loosing" side (but fun on the "winning" side).

there shouldnt be safe pve sections of a pvp zone how much more carebear can we get

Which is more "carebear", a giant free for all or only being able to be killed by the other faction? In a free for all, there's more targets & more people who can kill you.

I'd also like to see a spawn point inside the PvP area, so we don't have to trudge back from the start point. It would reduce the number of black screens we get before being able to get back into the fight.

That's what happened with the old Ilum & faction imbalance made it painful if you were on the "loosing" side (but fun on the "winning" side).

It wasnt fun on the winning side, it was just idiotic farmers who abused the game to grab valor when it actually had a meaning.

BW and SWTOR have no clue about ORVR, the objectives are lazy and moronic and the big orvr changes that came with the gree event were unsurprisingly garbage.

All they had to do was add in an equalization method tied to objectives and add incentives, two bases, one for each side where the advantage was with the defenders would have almost constant war going on. The stong side pushes, the weaker defends from a defendable position.

Ilum was terrible before, its terrible now, whoevers baby it was needs to find employment elsewhere because they lack the ability to make it work and wasted resources to bring us the "new" ilum which is just as worthless in bringing about Orvr.