Should I make a Vanguard? :o

SoSickMinded

I've got a commando, but I didn't quite enjoy it... what's so special about vanguards that makes some people go so crazy about them? Are their heals as amazing as everyone claims?

If so, what level does it take before the vanguard starts separating itself from the commando class in heals and performance in general?

One thing that worries me is that everyone always talks about how you're close quarters as a vanguard.... you have a battle rifle, so why would you be limited to almost melee distance? I understand that for tanking or for the occasional stock strike, but why does everyone act like it is mandatory to be up close and personal as a vanguard compared to the long range of a commando?

Edited by SoSickMinded

You're all kinds of confused as to what the vanguard is. First, it has no heals so if you want to be able to spec heals then vanguard is pointless. Vanguard has three specs.... shield=tank, tactics=dps/utility, assault=pure/unadulterated damage.

Almost all of your meaningful abilities are 10m or less range in every spec. You will be within 10m range of your target by default at all times if you can help it. There is no spec that lets you fight from range effectively.

What most people get excited about with vanguard is assault spec. Like I said above it is pure, unadulterated burst damage. It gives up it's range and ability to escape as well as other classess in place of it's crazy burst damage. Your defense is your offense. There is no middle ground with assault. You don't play it safe. You charge in, you kill very quickly, and some times you will die very quickly. But you will almost always take someone down with you. That's the main appeal.

To answer your question, yes, you should make a vanguard.

The commando is longer range, but relies heavily on cast times. There are so many stuns, and gap closers, and interrupts in PvP that commandos have a hard time getting anything off if targeted. The vanguard's key abilities are all instant, so they can be very effective even when taking a beating from several opponents. The price of this effectiveness is that the vanguard has to be within 10 m of the target to be effective.

And vanguards can't heal, but they can tank.

Edited by NurseDonut

I feel vanguards are just meant to tank. This toon for me is garbage in PvP. I can go on my jedi shadow and get #1 medals almost every time if I try hard. I can barely break from the bottom of the barrel with medals on this vanguard!

You're all kinds of confused as to what the vanguard is. First, it has no heals so if you want to be able to spec heals then vanguard is pointless. Vanguard has three specs.... shield=tank, tactics=dps/utility, assault=pure/unadulterated damage.

Almost all of your meaningful abilities are 10m or less range in every spec. You will be within 10m range of your target by default at all times if you can help it. There is no spec that lets you fight from range effectively.

What most people get excited about with vanguard is assault spec. Like I said above it is pure, unadulterated burst damage. It gives up it's range and ability to escape as well as other classess in place of it's crazy burst damage. Your defense is your offense. There is no middle ground with assault. You don't play it safe. You charge in, you kill very quickly, and some times you will die very quickly. But you will almost always take someone down with you. That's the main appeal.

So true. ASVAN's are a force to be reckoned with both in PvE and PvP. Its all about that burst.

I feel vanguards are just meant to tank. This toon for me is garbage in PvP. I can go on my jedi shadow and get #1 medals almost every time if I try hard. I can barely break from the bottom of the barrel with medals on this vanguard!

Then you are doing something completely wrong.

The Vanguard has far greater health than the commando and can overall survive longer. The vanguard is great at pvp if your into that. It also is a very solid class for leveling. Good Luck.

With the exact same gear on either a dps Commando or dps VG, their HPs are nearly identical with the only difference being the extra 1% given by Soldier's Endurance over Heavy Trooper.

That being said, leveling a VG is fun, I had a blast doing it and it was a nice change from my commando.

I went tank for my vanguard and I think it's a fun toon. It can seem like it takes forever to kill things while leveling...sometimes it does, but I didn't die until I reached Voss and can't say that about any of my other characters. Very tough they are. Story was ok (mid range of interesting compared to others). The only bummer part for me is that other tanks get knock back abilities and you have the opposite where you pull them to you. Can't throw an enemy over the cliff to their death like other tanks. It's workable and has it's pluses though. Quick flashpoint que times and I never have trouble finding a group for operations is the other benefit, though not exclusive to vanguard tanks.

How do you go from being #1 medals on a shadow to not using a taunt button on a VG? I don't get that.

With the exact same gear on either a dps Commando or dps VG, their HPs are nearly identical with the only difference being the extra 1% given by Soldier's Endurance over Heavy Trooper.

That being said, leveling a VG is fun, I had a blast doing it and it was a nice change from my commando.

If that's the only difference why do people say you'll get killed a lot as Commando?

What is the ability the Vanguard has that he uses to repel monsters in the progression it's like he presses a button and there's an explosion monsters die?

Thanks

He used explosive surge in that video if I remember correctly. It's the pbaoe damage ability but you will almost never use it as a vanguard unless you are tank spec. Or randomly trying to get a stealther lol.

If that's the only difference why do people say you'll get killed a lot as Commando?

There's several reasons. One is that Commandos do not have a decent hard hitting damage ability that is instant like Vanguards have with ion pulse. Not to mention ion pulse auto triggers plasma cells DoT. Which also in turn gives the vanguard an on demand snare via auto plasma cell proc through ion pulse. Also, Ion Pule has a 45% chance to finish the cooldown on HiB where as commando has to cast charged bolts. Also, Vanguards HiB ignores 90% of the targets armor where commando is 60%.

So essentially the vanguard will be killing much faster all while never having to stand still and also have decent kiting ability if needed. Meanwhile, the commando will be standing still trying to get junk to proc while being mauled by 4 sith warriors interupting his casting times so he never gets his procs off anyway or he will stay mobile and lose half the dps the vanguard would be doing. Half might be exaggerating but it isn't to far off.

Edited by Keypek

He used explosive surge in that video if I remember correctly. It's the pbaoe damage ability but you will almost never use it as a vanguard unless you are tank spec. Or randomly trying to get a stealther lol.

There's several reasons. One is that Commandos do not have a decent hard hitting damage ability that is instant like Vanguards have with ion pulse. Not to mention ion pulse auto triggers plasma cells DoT. Which also in turn gives the vanguard an on demand snare via auto plasma cell proc through ion pulse. Also, Ion Pule has a 45% chance to finish the cooldown on HiB where as commando has to cast charged bolts. Also, Vanguards HiB ignores 90% of the targets armor where commando is 60%.

So essentially the vanguard will be killing much faster all while never having to stand still and also have decent kiting ability if needed. Meanwhile, the commando will be standing still trying to get junk to proc while being mauled by 4 sith warriors interupting his casting times so he never gets his procs off anyway or he will stay mobile and lose half the dps the vanguard would be doing. Half might be exaggerating but it isn't to far off.

Yup, that's the reason I went with vanguard. Screw commando for PVP getting hammered with interrupts.