Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

I hope my server ends up being a destination so I don't end up having to choose a stupid name cos on the new server everything good is taken like in WOW.

No moving from PVP to PVE is annoying too but I don't play that char for now.

Edited by DarthZaul

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they said you will not find your toon transfured form a pve to a pvp but what if that is what you want?

tough, basically, poorly thought out on BW part, i too have the same dilemma

WTHeck Bioware? Less than a week from now and you can't give us any more details than that?

<rant>

That announcement said absolutely nothing. Paragraphs of vague babbling about your concerns and our concerns, but no new details. Literally it said nothing. Only new restrictions, and even then those restrictions are vague. You shouldn't have even bothered to say anything.

On top of that, you're super-late in correcting the issue. This should have been available at 1.1.4 or 1.1.5 before it became a bigger issue after 1.2.

I'm really disappointed. I so wanted TOR to be a huge success, but it's still sort of fumbling around. 1.2 was an excellent improvement, but it didn't solve/fix everything.

I'm off playing other games right now because I'm bored with TOR. Love this MMO, but I'm just bored. You killed off area PvP in Illum, and warzones are so repetitive that it's boring. Illum was one of the few things that could scratch my MMO itch from the PvP side. And with ops and flashpoints, we've sort of been burning ourselves out running them over and over again. And the 1.2 end-game sets are just fugly, so no motivation there.

My guild and I really wanted to make TOR our number one MMO. We're still focused on TOR, but we're off playing a whole bunch of other games right now because almost everyone is bored with it. A good 3/4 of our two guilds (Republic/Empire) are doing that. My sub is still good until August, but I've already canceled. I will re-sub whenever you raise level cap and bring in some new planets.

On that note, I think you guys shot yourself in the foot at the starting gate by making content have a high level of voiced-over cutscene dialog that's difficult to keep churning out.

</rant>

I'm just disappointed, Bioware. You had a GREAT launch, stable servers, very limited lag, lots of activity, and lots of community enthusiasm. But you sort of ran out of steam and dragged your feet in bringing the changes that came with 1.2. Now we've been out of new content for a long time.

/facepalm

No, it's just that, right now, the QQ is much quieter than if they allowed a free-for-all. A free-for-all is a bad BAD idea. And so is a merge.

This is a bad idea as well.

They should merge servers to preserve communities/guilds etc. This is the best answer. Once the server pops stabilize then allow a paid transfer service to be implemented. The only reason this isnt happening is because of "bad press", which is asinine because SWTOR is swimming in bad press as it is.

Hello, kickdamonkey!

At this time, this is the available information we have regarding Legacy, but please keep an eye out as more details will be coming soon in an FAQ that's dedicated to transfers:

Thanks and may the Force be with you!

Thanks, I guess I missed that part. Hungover and tired.

I would like to pose the following situation to see how it might be dealt with in the move plan BW is putting forth.

I have Republic charcters on The ShadowLands. Not a high pop server, but certainly not the lowest.

I have Imp characters on Fort Garnik. Yesterday at 5:00 pm eastern there were around 38 total people I could find after looking at all planets and stuff.

I was hoping to get my Imp characters off Fort Garnik to The Shadowlands. But if I understand the release right, if Fort Garnik isn't listed as a viable source server and The shadowLands isn't listed as a viable destination server at the same time, then I'm not going to be able to consolidate characters.

Is it possible to put in an option that allows you folks to transfer their characters to the server list you suggest, or a server in which they already have characters? Maybe even only servers in which they have a level 30 character or higher?

The blog indicates that in the first wave they are intending to deal with immediate population problems they designate. It doesn't rule out arbitrary transfers in the future at all. I'm in the same boat; I doubt I will be able to move any of my problem chars at the first wave. The technology is clearly available; now we have to see when and how it's made available more generally.

I'm not surprised they're not doing that first. This initial wave will be fun enough for CS to sort through.

How do you know no servers are "getting axed"?

They have said that no servers are being taken down, or something to that effect. Like I said, what I mean by axed is becoming a transfering out server, which in all honesty alot of people are going to jump ship, and becoming so low pop that is lieratarlly impossible to do anything from fill a raid to run a single warzone. I am sorry, I should have clarified in the first post.

It wouldn't appear that any servers are "getting axed" as you put it.

They are simply going to encourage people to transfer off of the lower pop servers, they made it quite clear that you will not be forced to transfer which kind of implies that no servers are being shut down or merged and that no forced transfers will occur.

They aren't merging anything, anyone that thinks that servers are being shut down or merged should probably take a closer look at the actual article, because none of that is happening.

It should be happening, but it's not.

The obvious goal of all of this is to axe servers and not really state that. The game population is pretty good overall for a MMO, but just WAY too spread out on 220-odd servers. They must eliminate servers and increase populations and this is how they're planning on doing it.

Expect to see in about 3-6 months the closing of the "origin" servers after people have voluntarily moved. Any characters not moved from a closing server will likely end up in limbo at that point and be required to choose a new one when logging in.

My only hope in this is that the destination servers for a particular origin server do not change over time (such that some are removed). It'd be horrendous if 80% of the guild moved in the first week to server A, then server A was removed as a potential destination.

The guild bank issue isn't too big a deal. It's going to be a pain but what will happen in almost all cases is the guild leader or other responsible party will just empty the guild bank into theirs then take it all out on the new server. It's a one time hassle but well worth it on most servers.

Edited by Infalliable

meh, i still can't transfer my old mains over to fatman. nothing impressive here

Seriously. Waste of time. What the hell happened to free transfers where ever people want to go? So what if it ends up with server queues, then people will move elsewhere. So this really is just another money grab by forcing people to pay for transfers to where they actually want to go.

My sub is running out soon and while I am enjoying leveling a Jedi Knight on Fatman there is no way I will be paying to run up legacy levels on him because you won't let me move my existing legacy, that is stuck on Veela, over to Fatman to be with him.

Is there a way to check for toon names and legacy names on target servers? If given the option to transfer to multiple servers, I would like to know if I can transfer to a server without changing any names.

Well, on that specific point, no one said it won't ever be allowed.

Which is my point. They make it pretty clear that transfers for a fee are coming, and by enforcing such arbitrary restrictions (like server type), they guarantee themselves some sales.

You are not required to move when transfers become available; it's your choice if you'd like to stay on your server.

Of course, it would be a very poor decision to remain on any server with transfers available. Unless I guess people really like playing MMOs completely alone.

"Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players....In some cases, a large number of origin servers will be eligible to move to a single destination server. In others, very few origin servers will be transferring to existing high population destination servers."

It will be interesting to see how much they allow transfers to higher pop servers. Currently, there is no way to maximize server population across all the servers because they don't have enough players to do that. They'd have to add a lot more players. They badly need to consolidate some servers and concentrate the population on a lower number of servers instead of trying to spread it thin across all of the servers. Hopefully they to designate at least 5 servers eligible for transfer for each higher pop server. I'm on The Harbinger, which has always been one of the highest pop servers, but it is absolutely nowhere near full capacity especially because they announced they will be increasing population caps with their mega-servers or whatever they are calling them. If they allow no one or only people from one very low pop server to transfer there, then that would be a big mistake.

They should merge servers to preserve communities/guilds etc. This is the best answer. Once the server pops stabilize then allow a paid transfer service to be implemented. The only reason this isnt happening is because of "bad press", which is asinine because SWTOR is swimming in bad press as it is.

Forcing players to change servers and rename their characters just because you want them to doesn't sound like the greatest business move in history, does it?

How do you know no servers are "getting axed"?

We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer.

It's pretty clear that nobody is being forced to transfer. No forced transfers implies no server shut downs.

And nowhere in the entire post does it say anything about server shut downs.

Edited by Celebrus

Impressive and makes me happy.

A couple of weeks ago I said I was 70 pct happy with the game and 30 pct unhappy. 25 of the 30 pct has just been satisfied. Thank you so much!!!

Now for those of us that have been unable to Pvp for 4-5 weeks due to low pop servers, will you be willing to give us free month of game time? Since you advertised a product you were unable to deliver?

But overall good news. Thanks again.

Edited by kithsyn

I, for one, am very happy with all the recent news and information we've received but most of all this info about transfers. I eagerly await the 12th of June and getting reacquainted with my dusty characters.

Seriously. Waste of time. What the hell happened to free transfers where ever people want to go? So what if it ends up with server queues, then people will move elsewhere. So this really is just another money grab by forcing people to pay for transfers to where they actually want to go.

My sub is running out soon and while I am enjoying leveling a Jedi Knight on Fatman there is no way I will be paying to run up legacy levels on him because you won't let me move my existing legacy, that is stuck on Veela, over to Fatman to be with him.

Because if they allowed everyone to move on whatever server they want, you'll be the one on here ************ about server queues.

Which is my point. They make it pretty clear that transfers for a fee are coming, and by enforcing such arbitrary restrictions (like server type), they guarantee themselves some sales.

Hello there Dezzi,

Can you tell me what you mean about a Transfer fee i do not know what you mean. :)

Great news!

One question, it says

We can tell you that all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa!
To clarify, that includes RP types as their own, right? Like, we won't see people moving into RP-PvE servers from regular PvE, and vice versa?

Yup, as someone has already stated here, this stinks of a money grab.