Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

Another thing I just don't get is some peoples attitude toward the freebie's, like their some sort of blight on the game.

I fear bout this 'cartel' points, and the fact that subs get a certain amount each month. I'm presuming this means you will also be able to buy 'cartel' points.

If that's the case, it's unforgivable. This will mean that there will be people saving their points each month to get what they want while the Devs will also be expecting people to buy the extra points they want.

Stop monopolising the game EA.

I just wish we'd get some sort of response from a Dev or maybe some more information posted out there. They've given the bad news before they've given us the good. People will leave the game before they've even seen how good the new content will or will not be.

Edited by Ryshard

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'm excited about F2P prospect because it means that some of my friends that have stopped playing will come back (at least for a while) to see what's changed.

I doubt much will change if they come back as F2P mate as they won't be able to progress past current content.

I think its a matter of preferance, commitment to a game that matters most.

There are a variety of must haves,casual,hardcore,competative pvp'rs,the co-op casuals and hard core,guilds.

I dont care all that much and not really dependant on swtor as my only gameing entertainment

I'de say im casual so free to play might fit my preferance.

time alotted to game and what im in the mood to play in my library is most important.

Yes I pre-ordered , was here at launch and paid my sub for 7 months.

There are no real specifics on the free to play model.

I think level 50 free play is fair

Some of the free play limitations for free play seem fair.

And access to all class story lines is fair especialy if you pre-ordered,were there at launch and subscribed since the beggining and paid for the game as a whole from the start.

To the best of my knowledge F2P will happen in November, but I don't have any official source on it.

F2P will be all the way up to level 50, the trial which is out right now is only to level 15.

There's certainly a lot of wild speculation and assumptions going on in here, not that there is a whole lot of information to go on at the moment.

Something I don't get, what's the big deal about F2P being able to get to level 50? Personally if they limited how far I could progress in the story would make me not to want to even bother, it would be like watching a movie and then halfway though having to spend more money to see the end of it.

Another thing I just don't get is some peoples attitude toward the freebie's, like their some sort of blight on the game. The big 'fear' is what, that some will be asinine in general chat? Not sure how to break it to ya, but there already are asinine people in general chat, in this thread too for that matter.

The simple fact of the matter is that this game IS going F2P, nothing anyone says here will stop that.

The biggest issue isn't what the free people get, it is what will EA do with the cash shop and how required to compete (especially for those of us on PvP servers) will items be. If they are strictly convenience items, that isn't a big deal, it is when they cross that line (to increase revenue) that it becomes a problem. When paying a monthly sub doesn't allow you the chance (not guarantee you the right of access, but even the chance) to get any item in the game (ie, you have to spend above and beyond the monthly fee) to get access to items/gear/etc to compete, it becomes a problem. When they start putting things on the cash shop that should belong to crafters or quests, you start to have a problem.

To this date, I've not seen a single F2P (aka Pay to Win) game that hasn't crossed this line at some point and to some degree. I've been through two of these hybrid games (LotRO and EQ2) and the resulting game after the change sucked compared to the start of the change (cash shop constantly in your face, all but forcing you to buy things to play the game, etc). I simply fear (since no info has been released on this part of this change yet) that this will be the case, because at this point, I do not trust a game developer (especially EA) to get this right.

If that's the case, it's unforgivable. This will mean that there will be people saving their points each month to get what they want while the Devs will also be expecting people to buy the extra points they want.

Um..isn't that the point? If there is something on the Cartel Market you want and your a free player you can send some real money, maybe a little more than a months sub, and get it. While if your a subscriber you can either save up your stipend or you can also send some money right away and get whatever it is right away.

So long as what is on the Cartel Market does not give people an unfair advantage I simply don't see the problem. Especially if the money from the Cartel Market allows the Dev's to produce the content we the players want.

I just wish we'd get some sort of response from a Dev or maybe some more information posted out there. They've given the bad news before they've given us the good. People will leave the game before they've even seen how good the new content will or will not be.

Hopefully this weeks Q&A will give us plenty of answers.

The biggest issue isn't what the free people get, it is what will EA do with the cash shop and how required to compete (especially for those of us on PvP servers) will items be. If they are strictly convenience items, that isn't a big deal, it is when they cross that line (to increase revenue) that it becomes a problem. When paying a monthly sub doesn't allow you the chance (not guarantee you the right of access, but even the chance) to get any item in the game (ie, you have to spend above and beyond the monthly fee) to get access to items/gear/etc to compete, it becomes a problem. When they start putting things on the cash shop that should belong to crafters or quests, you start to have a problem.

To this date, I've not seen a single F2P (aka Pay to Win) game that hasn't crossed this line at some point and to some degree. I've been through two of these hybrid games (LotRO and EQ2) and the resulting game after the change sucked compared to the start of the change (cash shop constantly in your face, all but forcing you to buy things to play the game, etc). I simply fear (since no info has been released on this part of this change yet) that this will be the case, because at this point, I do not trust a game developer (especially EA) to get this right.

See that I get, and even agree with. It's the people who harp on the F2Player's, simply because they play for free, that I don't get and that irritate me. As for games that have made the transition, the only other one I have played is STO. Up until recently I think they have done a good job with their C-Store, only recently has something come up that has made me question.

Edited by SupremeLegate

I am a long time World of Warcraft player whom recently started playing TOR about a month ago. Thus far I absolutely love this game! - my highest level toon is 26, I probably would be higher but I'm super casual and have serious altitis. Because I have not completed any endgame perhaps my opinion doesn't matter but these are the observations of a potential new player recently discovering the game.

Anyhow, I've been reading through this thread and it looks like the reaction is more negative than it is positive. I am perfectly okay with free2play however what worries me is how out of touch Bioware seems to be with it's players.

For example: I have not seen any Bioware mods contributing to forum discussion ( I could name some of the WOW moderators by name that actively participated in forum discussion - which added to a sense that Blizzard actually kind of gave a sh_t about what we, the fans, have to say or our concerns) , I keep hearing about open tickets that stay open for days and days until eventually given up on. Certain classes continue to get unnecessarily nerfed/buffed with really no rhyme or reason. The Looking for Group feature is broken as we still have to contend with ninja's, bads, and having to travel back to our questing hub from Interfleet once the flashpoint is complete. All concerns raised repetitively in the forums and again, we are greeted with silence.

And it's this level of aloofness that is probably pissing off a lot of people.

Vanity items, mounts, and all of that - although cool -will not sustain a game unless there is community involvement and new content to go along with it.

Um..isn't that the point? If there is something on the Cartel Market you want and your a free player you can send some real money, maybe a little more than a months sub, and get it. While if your a subscriber you can either save up your stipend or you can also send some money right away and get whatever it is right away.

So long as what is on the Cartel Market does not give people an unfair advantage I simply don't see the problem. Especially if the money from the Cartel Market allows the Dev's to produce the content we the players want.

BOLD- There will obviously be an unfair advantage if real money is involved.

As long as the money stays within the cosmetic gear range it could be fine. As soon as it crosses into actual PVP/Raiding gear players will lose all faith in EA.

I fear bout this 'cartel' points, and the fact that subs get a certain amount each month. I'm presuming this means you will also be able to buy 'cartel' points.

Yes you can purchase Cartel Coins, but they are mostly to give customizable gear and convenience features. It's not a way to "pay to win" a term many people like to throw around these days.

What is the Cartel Market?

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6466

What are Cartel Coins?

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6467

I doubt much will change if they come back as F2P mate as they won't be able to progress past current content.
We will likely level new characters together from scratch if they come back.

There are no real specifics on the free to play model.

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6449 that's not enough for you? FYI there are further links within some answers

Edited by Jnight

I am a long time World of Warcraft player whom recently started playing TOR about a month ago. Thus far I absolutely love this game! - my highest level toon is 26, I probably would be higher but I'm super casual and have serious altitis. Because I have not completed any endgame perhaps my opinion doesn't matter but these are the observations of a potential new player recently discovering the game.

And the rest of your post...

I completely agree with everything you said and I'm in the same boat, ex-WoW and relatively new to the game. But like you I really don't feel like there's any interaction between the Devs and the players or even whether the Devs give a **** about what players want.

My own feelings obviously... I would be more than happy if someone could restore faith.

Yes you can purchase Cartel Coins, but they are mostly to give customizable gear and convenience features. It's not a way to "pay to win" a term many people like to throw around these days.

Ah that's fair enough then. Don't have an issue with that at all.

For example: I have not seen any Bioware mods contributing to forum discussion

While I don't think they participate in the discussions much, aside form moderating, there is a weekly Q&A where the communities questions are answered, the one for this week is focused on F2P but they are usually more open ended.

I keep hearing about open tickets that stay open for days and days until eventually given up on.

To be fair I think the tickets are handled by EA and not BW. But I have had both positive and negative dealings with them, as with any customer services. The last ticket I put in I ended up talking to a rep within seconds of submitting the ticket.

The Looking for Group feature is broken as we still have to contend with ninja's, bads, and having to travel back to our questing hub from Interfleet once the flashpoint is complete.

To the first 2, I'm not sure what the dev's could do as that seems to simply be people being jakc-holes.

I appreciate your thoughts, thanks for sharing! I honestly have no intention of leaving this game anytime soon as I am having ridiculousness amounts of fun absorbing the various stories, learning the classes, and laughing at the Imperial side dialog. Again, I am new-ish though.

To the first 2, I'm not sure what the dev's could do as that seems to simply be people being jakc-holes.

Well because a lot of the gear is class/spec specific just limit who can roll need on what. It's a simple coding implementation - a plethora of if/then statements I would think. That would solve most of it. There is no reason why Bounty Hunters should have the ability to roll need on heavy armor which boosts Strength, etc.

But I think the biggest change I would LOVE to see is the ability to be ported back to where you were previously questing before you teleported into the flashpoint.

Things I would probably buy from the Cartel shop:

- Empty Orange Adaptive Gear

- Armor Dye

- Ship Appearance Changes

- Getting rid of a Companion (Seriously)

- Single-run flashpoints (IE one run per unlock)

- Planet VIP lounges (with a GTN and PvP quest terminal inside)

- Extra character slots

Things I wouldn't mind seeing in the Cartel shop but probably wouldn't buy:

- Speeders

- Pets

- Extra cargo space

- Extra Emotes

- Character renaming

- Character appearance changer

Things that would make me angry to see in the Cartel shop:

- Any gear with stats

- Stims or medpacks

- Leveling/exp boosts

- Credits

- Gear/skill Unlocks for F2P (seriously, don't do what EQ2 did)

- Legacy Unlocks

- Content that would normally be part of an expansion or GU

One last plea -- Please make the cartel currency TRADEABLE. Let people post it on the GTN, even. This will let the cash-strapped people to get the shiny new speeder. And people *will* buy cartel coins just to sell them. Allowing cartel currency trading won't ruin the economy like buying credits outright would, helps prevent scamming, makes the cash shop more accessible to the masses, and will make the F2P people feel not like outcasts. And since ultimately all the cartel currency will still come from either a subscriber or from someone paying cash, it really doesn't matter that person A bought the cash and sold/gave it to person B.

I came from Star Trek Online that was my first true MMO experience. I became a lifetime member then they pissed on me by making the game free with perks not nearly worth what I paid for. I'm not hating as I still once in a while enjoy the game. But I haven't played as much since it became free to play. As they appear to charge for everything new coming out that you wold really want such as ships.

So for TOR I've only been playing for under 2 months now and I haven't invested too much money as I had an itch for the free game play was coming, just not this soon. Does it help..kinda...I do see more people playing STO since it became free so that is nice to see.

So what does Free to play mean to me.

I will have to pay $25 or so to get a new ship.

It will cost me more money if I want something that is cool, hip or even nostalgia feeling such as x-wing or other memorial ship from the movies that may come out.

Overall I'm just glad SWTOR didn't offer lifetime membership.

And the rest of your post...

I completely agree with everything you said and I'm in the same boat, ex-WoW and relatively new to the game. But like you I really don't feel like there's any interaction between the Devs and the players or even whether the Devs give a **** about what players want.

My own feelings obviously... I would be more than happy if someone could restore faith.

http://www.swtor.com/blog

Do you read any of the "Community Q&A's" from there? They happen every week. Dev's address questions from players.

Or have a look at these:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/new-community-blogs-weekly-qa-dev-tracker-summaries

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=459255

Edited by Jnight

Well because a lot of the gear is class/spec specific just limit who can roll need on what. It's a simple coding implementation - a plethora of if/then statements I would think. That would solve most of it. There is no reason why Bounty Hunters should have the ability to roll need on heavy armor which boosts Strength, etc.

Oh, I see. Slight misunderstanding on my part. But I don't think it would be as simple as that, but it's still a valid complaint.

The bottom line is no matter how you want to dress this up it is EA that will cross the line there starting to do it with all their online games EA itself is endorsing more and more F2P games especially browser games for example

Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances , Battlefield Play 4 Free etc

now those games are understandably made purely on a F2P model however EA have been forcing this model onto some if not all of their other On-line titles especially BF3 where its almost Pay to win purchasing the game and paying for expansions was not enough now you are basically forced to pay another £30-£40 on premium membership with loads of perks that put you at an advantage if you can afford it not to mention you bypass all the hard work required to unlock items if you can afford to it's a joke.

What should make us think EA will break the mould exclusively for SWTOR?

Here's a stupid question from an MMO n00bie.... why are subscriptions falling? Why is everyone leaving? Is it mainly complaints from the PVP side? Or the PVE side? Or is it because it isn't like WOW (I don't play it, so i don't know what's so special about that...)

Can someone point me towards the reasons? This is NOT a Bioware fanboi post. I'm genuinely interested...

I like the game. I've played since Beta and I've seen ALOT of improvements...

Here's another question.... Everyone is so looking forward to GW2... What if they have the same problems as SWTOR and doesn't perform to expectations? then what? Is everyone going to crab about GW2 also?