Playable and Companion species suggestion checklist thread

Vitas

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for dialogue, species such as Rodian, Mon Calamari, Togruta, Kel Dor, Cathar, and more have been in the Clone Wars cartoon series and have been voice acted with regular voices. So there's no reason they would have to re-record dialogue to add many more species.

QFT

Also, it's reasonably easy to run a voiceover through a computer program to "add" special voice effects like a mon-cal gravel or Duros blblblblblllbl.

It's a shame more people don't like Duros.

I would purchase more than half of the "popular choices" list. Probably 3/4's, with an emphasis on species which are not just reskinned humans. We have enough of those.

I would love to see at least 20 playable species in game, personally I'd go for Kel Dor, Nuatolan, Kaleesh, Rodian and Torgruta as the main ones, I would like to see some others who have featured prominently in other star wars games/movies, On wookiees, they deserve some respect and GL has stated he doesn't like wookiee jedi, so make em a species unlock requiring a completed chapter three on atleast 4-6 characters and restricted to only Bounty Hunter and Smuggler for lore reasons

I may as well post my results here, too.

Top Ten Plausible

1. Togruta
  2. Nautolan
  3. Kel Dor
  4. Rodian
  5. Mon Calamari
  6. Kaleesh
  7. Zeltron
  8. Bothan
  9. Devaronian
  10. Weequay

Top Thirty Overall

1. Togruta
  2. Nautolan
  3. Kel Dor
  4. Voss
  5. Wookiee
  6. Jawa
  7. Trandoshan
  8. Rodian
  9. Droid
  10. Mon Calamari
  11. Kaleesh
  12. Zeltron
  13. Bothan
  14. Devaronian
  15. Ithorian
  16. Weequay
  17. Selkath
  18. Echani
  19. Yoda's species
  20. Ewok
  21. Falleen
  22. Chagrian
  23. Gamorrean
  24. Duros
  25. Selonian
  26. Sullustan
  27. Shistavanen
  28. Nikto
  29. Gormak
  30. Gand
Edited by CelCawdro

Being yet another reskinned human race I have no desire to play them, but out of interest: Why are Voss in 4th place overall but don't feature on the plausible list? I'd have thought they were very plausible!

My votes (all plausible only- I have no interest in submitting votes for species which are obviously never going to be added)

1. Nautolan

2. Mon Calamari

3. Duros

I'd love to play a wookiee but I think it's understandable that won't happen. But I'd like to take issue with this, written by the developers:

lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to. There has never been a movie or major Star Wars series with a complete freak job as the lead and that's because dramatically it doesn't work. We don't understand what it means to be a giant lizard or a droid or a walking ball of jelly. We love the weird characters but they are always the sidekicks, not the emotional connection in the movie. To do an RPG that way every NPC you ran into would have to react to you depending on their own cultural bias and the entire "into the strange" adventure that is Star Wars would be lost as you would be the strangest thing in the room. People would constantly be asking you for information about your weird species and their emotional content that the vast majority of players simply wouldn't have and their ability to really BE this character would be nil.

So whether it's Dragon Age, Mass Effect or The Old Republic, PCs are near enough to humans for us to crawl into their skin. They have generally understandable facial expressions, they don't look ludicrous speaking the basic language, they can interact with the rest of the galaxy without a constant "what the heck?" reaction from the NPCs. The freaks, the droids, the weird that we get to know and learn about--that's where our companions come in.

While I understand exactly where he's coming from I profoundly disagree. If what he was saying was true, all three iterations of the tabletop Star Wars Roleplaying game would also have excluded alien characters. They don't. Most (although I confess not all) alien races are more or less anthropomorphised animals, and thus very easy for us to identify with. There are many perfectly understandable characters from the books and can easily be identified with, and the world visualised through their eyes.

Yes, I do agree that the main protagonists in the films and books tend to be human. However, this is a roleplaying game, and NOT a film. It is up to the player to connect with their character as much or as little as they want to. In such a rich and diverse universe which is so well developed there is no problem in identifying with a Mon Calamari or a Rodian- we know the geography of their planets, their history, culture etc.

I play a Mirialan- I know bugger all about his culture because, despite professing to recognise the importance of being able to get inside the mindset of your character, they chose a race which is very "now", but has absolutely no back story whatsoever.

There are also many examples of Star Wars computer games which have allowed the player to create an alien character, and they have never to my knowledge been criticised for doing so on grounds of an inability to identify with one's character.

In summary, I think it is up to the individual in question to choose a character they can identify with from a set of choices which show real veriety, not a one size fits all and simplistic preconception about how people identify with their characters in a roleplay game.

For the record, I don't like wookiee jedi either.

• 3 weeks later...

More than anything I want to see Togruta as playable. I was shocked to find that they weren't, considering Ahsoka Tano was a huge character in the Clone Wars.

I'd also like to see Nautolans and Kaleesh, too! They're quite common (or at least, not uncommon) throughout one's travels in TOR and it'd be cool to be able to play them as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think Ortolan doesnt require us to travel to their home world. Some of them live on Hoth. And size isnt a factor since they have Treek and that one Jawa companion, right?

They could be light side like the ones who work in the power plants on Hoth or dark side since we met that one 'evil' one in the Binoculars quest line.

Max Rebo could be my companion and talk about playing music all the time ha j/k

But seriously, I'd love to have an Ortolan as a companion.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...