The word "sith"

I have seen the first 3 Star Wars movie's several times and in all of my viewings I cannot remember the word "sith" ever being mentioned. Did I just miss it?

My hardcore SW friends began using the word around 1995 or 1996. Listening to their conversations, I was able to deduce that the word meant, in a broad sense, 'opposite of Jedi' so I know what the word means.

I never really explored much of SW outside of the movies and this game. Any SW experts out there to help me out?

im not sure where the word sith originated im assuming from an EU book or novel but your right i dont thing they ever used the word in the OT

that may be however because the emperor wasnt going to be a sith at all in the origional draft he was going to simply be a frale man who was elevated to power (sort of like a puppet) by the empire.

The word "Sith" is used primarily in the prequel trilogy, and is specifically first mentioned in Episode 1. The word itself however, originates from Lucas' rough drafts of the prequel scripts, and was disseminated amongst the fandom through the EU.

I believe Darth Vader was referred to as the Dark Lord of the Sith even in the novelization of Episode IV. At that time though, there was no direct evidence that Palpatine was one as well. No one really knew what it meant.

In fact, Timothy Zahn originally wanted to name the Noghri "Sith", since Vader was their ruler; their Dark Lord, as it were. But Lucas didn't allow it. The word Sith later got more prominence in the Tales of the Jedi comics, which showed Sith ancient history in a way that was much more in line with Lucas's original intent (Dark Side users that were matched to the Jedi, leading conflicts against the Old Republic).

I believe Darth Vader was referred to as the Dark Lord of the Sith even in the novelization of Episode IV. At that time though, there was no direct evidence that Palpatine was one as well. No one really knew what it meant.

In fact, Timothy Zahn originally wanted to name the Noghri "Sith", since Vader was their ruler; their Dark Lord, as it were. But Lucas didn't allow it. The word Sith later got more prominence in the Tales of the Jedi comics, which showed Sith ancient history in a way that was much more in line with Lucas's original intent (Dark Side users that were matched to the Jedi, leading conflicts against the Old Republic).

You're absolutely right. I went back to check my sources and reconfirm.