Buff Watchman spec, nerf Rage spec

TheCourier-

I'm not sure why Bioware decided to nerf the spec that requires 20+ keybinds, and buff the spec that is based on 1 attack.

My suggestion would be to make the increased force camoflage duration option for watchman to instead be increased guarded by the force duration (six seconds, if two points are put into the box). That would make up for the nerf that Bioware did to watchman spec's self healing. A buff to guarded by the force's duration would encourage sentinels to use the sentinel set bonus instead of the guardian set bonus.

I have a valor 98 jedi sentinel, and have played the game since early access. I used watchman spec almost exclusively until patch 1.4, and it's my preferred spec. It requires way more skill to consistently do 750000+ damage per warzone with watchman spec than with rage spec.

After patch 1.4, there are so many rage specced players, that some warzones will literally have 4 rage spec players for a team.

If rage spec is nerfed, and watchman spec isn't buffed, then sentinel will literally have no viable PVP trees. Combat spec is awful with how many sages run bubble stun spec. Watchman's dots still tick while stunned. Precision Slash has a 4.5 second duration, which a bubble stun severely hurts. The main option would be to break the bubble with a 10 meter attack, but the sage can reapply a stun bubble once they see the Precision Slash buff.

Edited by TheCourier-

If rage spec is nerfed, and watchman spec isn't buffed, then sentinel will literally have no viable PVP trees.

I don't know if you know what "viable" means. There are plenty of specs that would trade places with the effectiveness of Watchman or Combat.

I agree.

Force Camouflage remove all the movement impairing like carnage.

Force camouflage loses 20% more speed BUT Juyo form gains 15% more speed in combat like Ataru Form.

When you proc Rupture/Cauterize your next Annihilate has 50% more critical chance.

Annihilation fixed.

does any of the mara/sent trees really need a buff? ive seen a lot of people say that all 3 trees are viable. obviously rage/focus is a step above the other two, but *if* that tree does get nerfed i dont think buffing the others as consolation is a responsible move, especially if those other 2 trees are already viable in their current state

does any of the mara/sent trees really need a buff? ive seen a lot of people say that all 3 trees are viable. obviously rage/focus is a step above the other two, but *if* that tree does get nerfed i dont think buffing the others as consolation is a responsible move, especially if those other 2 trees are already viable in their current state

Point being Anni/Watchman should have never been nerfed. What made it at least comparable to the other 2 specs was that it gave you more uptime. Now you do 600k dps and end up with 34k healing, more than 1/2 of which is going to other people 200pts at a time. It's like:

Rage! - You are the terror of all things! And it's super easy and you get an extra 7% passive damage mitigation and 30% armor penetration!

Carnage! - Much harder to play well, but you get crazy single target burst, and can make your whole team FLY around the WZ!

Annihilation! - It's like having an extra medpac. A slow release medpac.

Buff Vigilance spec also.

I play a marauder, I have a sentinel lvl 43 and a guardian lvl 50. And yes Vigilance needs a buff.

All the nerfs or buffs shows how non-sense the Devs are.. Really, they really don't know how to play they game.

wth they did with Overload, the coolest animation in the game now it's a crap.

Annihilation being nerfed without a reason, Rage being buffed at the moon, just needed a little buff in the rage/focus system... But no they buffed all the tree making Rage be much viable than the others.

When they nerf Rage Juggs and Guardian will do what? Vengeance and Vigilance really need a buff to be viable in PVP.

Resolve, oh god so much terrible.

Who's inside the Bioware thinked "crowd control is the way!!! People will enjoy!!!".

Edited by NogueiraA

i used to be annihilation but then i speced carnage , since then ive never respeced my marauder ever.

Carnage>all specs in game, has tools to counter most ccs and the 1v1 burst it deals out is absurdly OP that im surprised ppl havent cried nerf yet.

EDIT: to prove my point :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odgwDJ4rNxk

Edited by darthnish

I'm not sure why Bioware decided to nerf the spec (Watchman) that requires 20+ keybinds, and buff the spec that is based on 1 attack.

Carnage>all specs in game, has tools to counter most ccs and the 1v1 burst it deals out is absurdly OP that im surprised ppl havent cried nerf yet.

It's all about what numbers your compatriots in your subclass put out. No one plays Annih/Watchman anymore. All the weak players got flushed out of that tree by the nerfs (and the buffs to the other trees). The only ones left playing Annih/Watchman are the ones good enough at it to remain competitive. So the meta average productivity for Annih/Watchman actually rose when Rage/Focus got buffed (via bad Annih/Watchmen leaving). Hence BW nerfed Annih/Watchman afterwards.

Correspondingly Carnage actually puts up rather low numbers compared to Rage/Focus. But players are willing to put up with lower damage output because of the greater utility and the burst features. Yet neither of those aspects show up in BW's ingame metrics calculations, so even if Carnage is as valuable as Rage, it won't get nerfed. In general, the classes with greater utility avoid BW's nerfs because they are undervalued in a system that focuses on damage/protection/healing output. Stealth classes are in an excellent position for example to avoid nerfs.

Most Watchman sentinels/marauders are Focus/Rage now.

I see many people that want watchman to be similar to combat/carnage.... Why don't you play that spec instead of making them similar? Oh right, too many skills to use it like a pro.

People switched because the damage of watchmen was never amazing by any means. What made the spec good was its survivability. When they nerfed the self heals they killed the spec because the uptime of that spec is what made it viable. If you're going to nerf it's survivability they should of the very least increased its damage, because lets be honest, the spec doesn't have any real burst to spec of. The heals need to be brought back to how they originally were or they need to increase the damage of the spec to make up for the loss of uptime from the heals.

i used to be annihilation but then i speced carnage , since then ive never respeced my marauder ever.

EDIT: to prove my point :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odgwDJ4rNxk

I love Carnage. That said, I believe it was nerfed since I last played my Marauder regularly.

Watchman/Annihilation needs it's self healing back. Should have never been nerfed.

Combat/Carnage will be back to incredibly powerful once they nerf bubble stuns to only apply to the sorc who cast them, or at least fix the resolve. Spec is practically unplayable at 50 PVP because of the bubble stuns. I love the utility and the single target burst of this spec, but the burst is completely shut down once you combine bubble stuns with players who know to look out for PS/Gore.

Focus/Rage needs it's damage redistributed, by moving the damage off of smash and putting it in other abilities. Remember the Grav Round nerf when BW thought that a spec shouldn't be able to do 80% of it's potential damage by just using one ability? Yeah *** double standard BW? Still I play this spec on my sent now because bubble stuns shut down my preferred spec (Combat) to the point that it's mostly an exercise in frustration. I'm not saying you can't do well for it, but effort:return ratio is out of sync and I'd rather just learn to play my shadow even better.

This is from a sent perspective, but obviously if they actually nerf smash by something other than redistributing it's damage then they need to buff Veng/Vig. Actually they need to buff this spec regardless.

Also buff Commando.

Also nerf operatives.

There I think my bases are all covered now.

no sent/mar spec needs a buff for god sake. smash just needs to be toned down. in fact, BW should do some rollbacks on the entire AC because they buffed them way too much to make them less hard to level up. which resulted in the entire AC being out of whack with how other ACs are balanced at end game level pvp. Edited by MiaRB

Most Watchman sentinels/marauders are Focus/Rage now.

I see many people that want watchman to be similar to combat/carnage.... Why don't you play that spec instead of making them similar? Oh right, too many skills to use it like a pro.

Watchman uses as many attacks as combat does.

Spec is practically unplayable at 50 PVP because of the bubble stuns.

insert that phrase after every melee class. the stealthers are especially screwed. if you rely on a 4m opener and some form of CC lockdown (both deception and concealment), then bubble-stun effectively ruins any chance of *ever* getting into your rotation...on anybody (not just the sage with the bubble spec).

edit: lol @ the combat being more complex than watchman idea. I think you need a combat sent in your ideal team comp, but I don't think it's nearly as complex a class to play as watchman (taking all buttons & situations into account).

Edited by foxmob

insert that phrase after every melee class. the stealthers are especially screwed. if you rely on a 4m opener and some form of CC lockdown (both deception and concealment), then bubble-stun effectively ruins any chance of *ever* getting into your rotation...on anybody (not just the sage with the bubble spec).

edit: lol @ the combat being more complex than watchman idea. I think you need a combat sent in your ideal team comp, but I don't think it's nearly as complex a class to play as watchman (taking all buttons & situations into account).

Never really played watchman so I'll leave that discussion to others, but I personally have much less problems on my shadow even in the infiltration hybrid spec. The stealth knockdown isn't enough to pop the bubble and you don't always need to open with it anyway (some safe it for mid fight, combined with force cloak obviously). I feel for the concealment operatives though.

For that matter smash certainly isn't unplayable as a melee class with the bubble stuns. Something about the autocrit buff lasting 20 seconds.

Combat spec though basically relies on a 3 GCD buff with a 10 GCD cooldown to get most of its burst up to snuff. That was well balanced when people could counter it but had to be watching for it. Now they don't even need that with bubble stuns!

it doesn't matter what you open with. they can pop the bubble whenever they want, including while stunned.

I agree, some melee feel it worse than others. it breaks concealment and carnage (in a manner of speaking). but the only one relatively unaffected is the vg/pt burner, cuz they can ip/fb and grenade from 10m.

Edited by foxmob

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure why Bioware decided to nerf the spec that requires 20+ keybinds, and buff the spec that is based on 1 attack.

My suggestion would be to make the increased force camoflage duration option for watchman to instead be increased guarded by the force duration (six seconds, if two points are put into the box). That would make up for the nerf that Bioware did to watchman spec's self healing. A buff to guarded by the force's duration would encourage sentinels to use the sentinel set bonus instead of the guardian set bonus.

I have a valor 98 jedi sentinel, and have played the game since early access. I used watchman spec almost exclusively until patch 1.4, and it's my preferred spec. It requires way more skill to consistently do 750000+ damage per warzone with watchman spec than with rage spec.

After patch 1.4, there are so many rage specced players, that some warzones will literally have 4 rage spec players for a team.

If rage spec is nerfed, and watchman spec isn't buffed, then sentinel will literally have no viable PVP trees. Combat spec is awful with how many sages run bubble stun spec. Watchman's dots still tick while stunned. Precision Slash has a 4.5 second duration, which a bubble stun severely hurts. The main option would be to break the bubble with a 10 meter attack, but the sage can reapply a stun bubble once they see the Precision Slash buff.

I don't really understand all the hating on Rage calling it extremely easy to play vs other specs. My Rage spec and my Annihilation spec have literally the exact same number of keybinds. You trade Force Crush for Deadly Saber, and then you have a slightly different rotation, but I still use every ability on my bars that i use as carnage or rage as i do with Annihilation.

Maybe I am just extremely used to the other specs and I find them just as easy as Rage due to my experience with them, whereas others are FOTM noobies? I guess that's possible. But I don't find any of the specs difficult to play in the least. If anything, annihilation is easy mode because you get auto targetting chage every 12 seconds, even from point blank range.