Producer's Road Map 2014

CourtneyWoods

They said the 2 factions will be confronting each other directly, not that players of the opposite faction would be involved. While it would be epic to combine some sort of faction v faction competition, it could simply mean that Republic will fight Imperial NPCs, and the Empire will fight Republic NPCs. Up until now, all previous endgame content has revolved around a 3rd party that both factions had reasons to fight.

Don't ruin my hope!

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry but...open world pvp must be rebuilt and revamped.

I'm not tired of asking the same things over and over:

• Defect (change to the other faction ie: Republic Agent, Imperial Trooper, Sith turning to Jedi and vice versa).
    You can add this possibility at some point at the end of the class quests so you don't have to create a complete set of storyline quests for all classes in the opposite faction (although this would be AWESOME even if you only add one big "Defection" storyline quest).
  • Planetary Access
    Ability to visit all planets in both factions (Coruscant, Korriban, Tython, Hutta, Dromund Kaas, Ord Mantell) and I'm NOT talking about the upcoming PVP Operations.
  • Open World PVP Improvements
    Add rewards for Open World PVP, including dailies, armor pieces and weapons and so on. A commendations system should be instated. Additionally, enable open world pvp in Korriban, Taris, Ord Mantell, Coruscant, Tython, Dromund Kaas, Balmorra and Hutta.
  • Open World PVP Ganking Penalty
    This has been added to other games with incursions in enemy territory like Aion. You get penalized for killing enemies under a certain level. Temporary restrictions and penalties may apply if rendered necessary. I'll leave this to the devs imagination.
  • Droid and Jawa races
    I don't need to explain this as it's self-explanatory. Playing as a droid would be awesome. And no, the Series Cybernetic armors are not it. I mean playing entirely as a droid, equipping parts and having droid abilities.
  • Companion Influence, Companions restricted by alignment
    In KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords you could turn a companion to the dark side or the light side depending on their initial alignment. As you might already know, this is a very nice feature becasue it would allow players to have padawans/apprentices or even teach the ways of the force to companions that originally were not aware they were force-sensitive. About the alignment restrictions, as in previous KOTOR games, you should be able to get companions depending on your current alignment. Some companions would only join you if you are Light side and some other companions would only be your allies if you are dark side aligned. For example, in Taris as a Sith you would get Thana Vesh if you are dark side aligned, or get Ashara Zavros in case of being Light Side.
  • Bring back the old planets
    Lots of us are still waiting for Manaan, Dantooine, Telos, Malachor V, Onderon and Kashyyyk. Adding a whole planet is highly expensive from the production view, so choose one or 2 of them and throw them at some point of the development roadmap.
  • Graphics Engine: it's too outdated
    When I play Star Wars: The Force Unleashed I just can't help but to think: damn SWTOR with this graphics engine would just be amazing! Then I'm back to reality and see... this engine. No, it's not what an Old Republic game deserves. Again, this graphics engine revamp would be quite expensive but othe games like EVE Online have done something similar and they were impressive and are doing pretty good!
  • Galactic Star...what?
    The Galactic Starfighter should be better implemented. We have this ship we equip with tons of modules just to travel from one planet to another and do space battles and then... what? You just go ahead and add an expansion with companions we can't use outside of it and ships that are not the ships we are used to see but also can not be used outside space battles (note: Galactic Starfighter Companions should be available to normal gameplay and not only Galactic Starfighter). Find a way to merge our ship, the old space battles and Galactic Starfighter into one, then merge it with the game in a better way. Right now Galactic Starfighter is like a minigame put apart from the main game.
  • Open World Conquerable Outposts or even Planets
    This would be a nice feature to add to an hipothetically improved open world pvp. Conquerable Outposts would add a new plethora of options for Open World PVPing as Guilds and Factions would fight over the outposts to conquer them and used them as stagging points to further advance their conquest of territories. This could be enabled in planets like Tatooine and many other existing planets already. It's not costly and would bring an entire breeze of fresh air to the game. Think about it devs! Regarding conquerable planets, making and incursion in an enemy controlled planet would be plainly amazing.
  • Companion Control
    With some limitations, I'd love to have the possibility to directly control my companion as I did in the KOTOR series, even if it's limited to instanced areas only.

Please note that these are my wishes for the game. Many of you will probably disagree with some or most of them, some other may agree with only a few of even with most of the points explained here. Thanks for reading me anyways and excuse my english. I try my best!

Edited by AmphysvenaCorp

We need more story arcs like KOTOR, heroic, impacting all the way...

I know some delusional folk prefer KOTOR 2, I do prefer classic heroism all the way, no middle ground, full on to break baddies.

Edited by ZahirS

We need more story arcs like KOTOR, heroic, impacting all the way...

I know some delusional folk prefer KOTOR 2, I do prefer classic heroism all the way, no middle ground, full on to break baddies.

Delusional? Are you kidding?! KOTOR 2 (with the Restored Content Mod) is way more impactful, fun, and deep than the original KOTOR is. Don't get me wrong, KOTOR is an amazing game (in my top 5 favorite SW game list) but KOTOR 2 (with the RCM) does practically everything better then what KOTOR 1 does. :D

Delusional? Are you kidding?! KOTOR 2 (with the Restored Content Mod) is way more impactful, fun, and deep than the original KOTOR is. Don't get me wrong, KOTOR is an amazing game (in my top 5 favorite SW game list) but KOTOR 2 (with the RCM) does practically everything better then what KOTOR 1 does. :D

Not really just look at sales, KOTOR is reposible for KOTOR 2 and SWTOR, hell Revan impacted the Galaxy even more than KOTOR 2, the Jedi Exile is cool and all but the whole story could be scrapped and still would be same deal.

Not really just look at sales, KOTOR is reposible for KOTOR 2 and SWTOR, hell Revan impacted the Galaxy even more than KOTOR 2, the Jedi Exile is cool and all but the whole story could be scrapped and still would be same deal.

Um... no it wouldn't. Without the Exile, Darth Traya, Darth Nihilus, and Darth Sion would be terrorizing the Galaxy, the Jedi would be extinct, and the Republic would've fallen.

If it wasn't for the Exile, Revan would still be in the grasp of Darth Nyriss and Scourge. And don't forget the Exile (as a spirit) kept Revan from snapping and dying while in the grip of the Sith Emperor for those 300 years.

As for it not selling as much as KOTOR 1, that is a fools argument and doesn't mean anything. Its like saying "Just because the Iphone is the most popular smartphone, it is the best out there".

Kotor 2 portrayed the Force as we've never seen it before. The game's theme and story had great depth and explored the philosophical nature of the Force, and how your actions (even if intended for good) could have unintended effects on the world around you. And the enemies weren't your standard cardboard cut-out "Rawr im bad and im gonna kill you" bad-guys. They seemed like actual people.

There is a part on Nar Shadaa where Kreia lectures you on the unintended consequences of helping people. If you choose the path of helping the guy (he is poor) by giving him credits, he becomes a target of other refugees. By helping him become elevated (get money) it draws the attention of others. And in the end, all you have brought is more pain. (

)

Kotor 2 was life changing. It made me really think, and dig deeper in how our actions effect others and how the Force may not entirely be intended for good, but maybe for evil or possibly both. The philosophy of Kotor 2 is deeper and more mature than any Star Wars game, book, comic, or movie that has been produced since the beginning of Star Wars and I have yet to see a Star Wars product that even comes close to the depth Kotor 2 has (with the exception of a few).

Edited by Essence_of_Light

Um... no it wouldn't. Without the Exile, Darth Traya, Darth Nihilus, and Darth Sion would be terrorizing the Galaxy, the Jedi would be extinct, and the Republic would've fallen.

If it wasn't for the Exile, Revan would still be in the grasp of Darth Nyriss and Scourge. And don't forget the Exile (as a spirit) kept Revan from snapping and dying while in the grip of the Sith Emperor for those 300 years.

As for it not selling as much as KOTOR 1, that is a fools argument and doesn't mean anything. Its like saying "Just because the Iphone is the most popular smartphone, it is the best out there".

Kotor 2 portrayed the Force as we've never seen it before. The game's theme and story had great depth and explored the philosophical nature of the Force, and how your actions (even if intended for good) could have unintended effects on the world around you. And the enemies weren't your standard cardboard cut-out "Rawr im bad and im gonna kill you" bad-guys. They seemed like actual people.

There is a part on Nar Shadaa where Kreia lectures you on the unintended consequences of helping people. If you choose the path of helping the guy (he is poor) by giving him credits, he becomes a target of other refugees. By helping him become elevated (get money) it draws the attention of others. And in the end, all you have brought is more pain. (

)

Kotor 2 was life changing. It made me really think, and dig deeper in how our actions effect others and how the Force may not entirely be intended for good, but maybe for evil or possibly both. The philosophy of Kotor 2 is deeper and more mature than any Star Wars game, book, comic, or movie that has been produced since the beginning of Star Wars and I have yet to see a Star Wars product that even comes close to the depth Kotor 2 has (with the exception of a few).

You nailed why KOTOR II was an amazing game. Bugs sucked, but the characters and story were phenomenal in so many ways.

)

Though I do agree with this and written about it several times in the past, in other forums, the part in bold is anecdotal to say the least.

Sion and Nihilus were pretty much a big joke, as far as memorable enemies are concerned.

The fact they're able to surpass Darth Malak when it comes to reaching new heights as far as silliness is concerned deserves an award on its own.

Whether it was done purposely in order to enhance and / or demonstrate how Kreia is far beyond EVERYTHING that has come before and after is a different subject altogether. Regardless, still a minor thing.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Though I do agree with this and written about it several times in the past, in other forums, the part in bold is anecdotal to say the least.

Sion and Nihilus were pretty much a big joke, as far as memorable enemies are concerned.

The fact they're able to surpass Darth Malak when it comes to reaching new heights as far as silliness is concerned deserves an award on its own.

Whether it was done purposely in order to enhance and / or demonstrate how Kreia is far beyond EVERYTHING that has come before and after is a different subject altogether. Regardless, still a minor thing.

True, minor but worth noting. Kreia was by far, the best of the 3. An exceptional character.

Sion, I personally found interesting, because he wasn't evil just to be evil; he was a tortured soul. He was so afraid of dying, that he went through all this pain just to survive. And it wasn't until his confrontation with the Exile on Malachor V that he realized all he had given himself is not another chance, but a life of pain, which finally allowed him to let go, and die in peace.

Can't say much for Nihilus because well... he didn't talk much, certainly nothing we could understand. And I never really was that interested in him besides the fact he could consume entire planets and that he was much like a void; having an everlasting hunger, but never being able to quench it.

)

Let me correct on the basics.

First scenario:

No KOTOR 2, then what?

No Sith triuvirate, and the True Sith return like the did in this game....simply put no need to know about KOTOR 2 to play this game.

KOTOR sold more than KOTOR 2: FACT, which means KOTOR was better recieved.

KOTOR 2 displayed the nature of the force by adding essentially lies, basically have to be bad to be good, or to be good you need to be bad, this is not the nature of the force in any other comic book literally made Nihilistic aproach which was not done right.

KOTOR 2 isnt as deep as meant to be, pales in comparison to comics, books or other media, its just a stand alone title for people thinking heroism means backstabbing, to put simple KOTOR 2 sucked aswell as its fans, its did have good points but the general view of the game was bad and doesnt compare to the Classic KOTOR.

Sorry essense of light, not well said.

Edited by ZahirS

Let me correct on the basics.

First scenario:

No KOTOR 2, then what?

No Sith triuvirate, and the True Sith return like the did in this game....simply put no need to know about KOTOR 2 to play this game.

KOTOR sold more than KOTOR 2: FACT, which means KOTOR was better recieved.

KOTOR 2 displayed the nature of the force by adding essentially lies, basically have to be bad to be good, or to be good you need to be bad, this is not the nature of the force in any other comic book literally made Nihilistic aproach which was not done right.

KOTOR 2 isnt as deep as meant to be, pales in comparison to comics, books or other media, its just a stand alone title for people thinking heroism means backstabbing, to put simple KOTOR 2 sucked aswell as its fans, its did have good points but the general view of the game was bad and doesnt compare to the Classic KOTOR.

Sorry essense of light, not well said.

Mass Effect 3 sold a ton of copies too, and yet it wasn't well received (specifically the ending(s)). Your logic is flawed.

I would explain further into how you're wrong in just about every sentence you typed in this post, but I can see you are too short-sighted to comprehend the philosophical nature of Kotor 2 and what message it was trying to convey. You are one of those one-sided thinkers. Everything has to be laid out in plain sight for you, and if it isn't, it is wrong. For people like you, there is only good and bad & right and wrong; no in-between, no deeper meaning, no complexity, no maybes, and no unintended consequences.

"Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole." ~ Kreia

Happy to hear that the Huttball Wz is coming soon. Seriously can't wait for it.

Question to the Devs, are there any plans to incentivize Ranked PvP? Right now, it's pretty dead because of the lack of incentives.

They really need to put some actual thought into this one, because if they just throw incentives in with too high ranking requirements then alot of people still wont play due to the lack of possibility to get what they want. Then you will still have too few queue's to enjoy it.

They really need to put some actual thought into this one, because if they just throw incentives in with too high ranking requirements then alot of people still wont play due to the lack of possibility to get what they want. Then you will still have too few queue's to enjoy it.

While I find this true, they also need some incentives to be high ranked so people have something to reach for. If everything is too easy to get, they'll just get to the required low rank to get it, and stop playing ranked afterwards.

Mass Effect 3 sold a ton of copies too, and yet it wasn't well received (specifically the ending(s)). Your logic is flawed.

I would explain further into how you're wrong in just about every sentence you typed in this post, but I can see you are too short-sighted to comprehend the philosophical nature of Kotor 2 and what message it was trying to convey. You are one of those one-sided thinkers. Everything has to be laid out in plain sight for you, and if it isn't, it is wrong. For people like you, there is only good and bad & right and wrong; no in-between, no deeper meaning, no complexity, no maybes, and no unintended consequences.

"Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole." ~ Kreia

Have the balls to respond, or else your point is invalid.

Morally ambigous is not Heroism, thats pretty much clear in any philosophical school present, past and future.

Complexity is something been more complex, Something Wrong with Lies around it is something wrong.

Morally ambigous is not Heroism, thats pretty much clear in any philosophical school present, past and future.

Complexity is something been more complex, Something Wrong with Lies around it is something wrong.

/facepalm :rolleyes:

I try to explain to you multiple times with lengthy, well thought-out, genuine posts... but each time you ignore everything I say, and don't even consider what I'm saying is true (even though multiple people agree with me, and none with you). All you've done is deny, deny, deny and spit out the silliest, hogwash logic I've ever seen. You truly are thick-skulled and short-sighted.

Whatever. I'm done with this discussion. Like I said before, unless it is laid out in plain site for you to see, you can't understand it.

I could care less what some one-sided fool thinks.

/end conversation

Note: Keep in mind, I am in no way saying that you are stupid. I am saying that I think the way you view Kotor 2 is stupid; not yourself. Just wanted to clear that up, so it doesn't cause any confusion or anger.

Mental note: create a school of philosophy based on morally ambiguous heroism.

I am going to make a final comment here, and then unsub to the thread, because the chances of the discussion being worth my while are minimal at best.

The majority of this post contains possible spoilers from the new questline which starts with Tython and Korriban flashpoints. Spoilers pertaining to Kotor 1, Kotor 2, and the Jedi Knight SWTOR storyline have been avoided.

Kotor 1 was an amazing game. This is not up for debate. This is fact. The debate is whether or not it was the best game of all time, and although I certainly haven't played every game, I'd definitely say this has a fighting chance.

Please note that Kotor 1 has an entire planet of cut content. Maybe you didn't know that. It does.

Kotor 2 was also a good game, but it wasn't quite as memorable. The engine was improved, and in my opinion the side-stories (specifically those of the companions) were more developed than Kotor 1's.

However, it seems to me that Kotor 2's side-stories were more complete than it's main story. The main story wasn't all that interesting and, in some places, felt very unpolished.

This is because a significant portion of Kotor 2 was cut as well.

Pieces have been restored, but I don't think that the core story was given as much thought as it should have been to begin with.

However... If you play Kotor 1, then Kotor 2, then read the Revan novel, then play the Jedi Knight storyline of SWTOR (as well as participating in the 'Jedi Prisoner' two-flashpoint questline mid-level) you realize that the story in its entirety isn't all that unfinished after all.

Kotor 2's story wasn't actually that bad, it simply didn't explain well enough the relevance of what happened, and why. The Revan book ties Kotor 1 and 2 together, and gives the reader the indisputable realization that the story is missing its final chapter.

I do not know whether this is confirmed or not, but the Jedi Knight story of SWTOR is rumored (quite widely, in fact) to be the original Kotor 3 story. Having played it (twice, actually) this makes a lot of sense.

If SWTOR had been a single-player game, the Jedi Prisoner questline would have been merged with the story and, most likely, later re-incorporated back into the ending.

That said, I have heard rumors that these two figures, these paragons of light and of darkness, will ultimately clash in the finale of the SWTOR story itself, which will occur at the end of this new questline that starts with Tython/Korriban flashpoints. If this is the case, then the true end of this story has not yet come.

It will be interesting to see, and I surely hope that they make a movie series out of it (as costly as that would be). Considering the success of the Kotor franchise and the depth of the entire story, I would be shocked if it failed to eclipse the success of the original trilogy.

Edited by idnewton

• 1 month later...

It's probably already been covered, but: Guilds. When will guilds be on par with other MMO. SWTOR is missing some major and essential features. I run other guilds, so I know good guild design. As I guild leader, I face many issues:

*Guild Mail

*A massive gap between F2P Guild and Subscriber Guild:

*Guild Bank Access: (F2P have to buy access).

*Losing leadership if I stop subscribing, essentially forcing me to subscribe.

*Little incentive to be apart of a guild.

*The guild window is bland and unappealing.

Why can't you give equal rights/ access to F2P and Subscribers when it comes to guilds. Stop forcing people to subscribe just to be social and enjoy this aspect on the game.

Is there some grand reason that F2P guilds are so limited?

Why do you punish leaders who stop subscribing?

Were Guilds an afterthought?

Edited by QuinnFay

• 5 weeks later...

And when will we get Dual spec?

Having to go through the skill tree each time I use field respec and redo my hotbars each damn time is archaic as hell.

I know the fanboys will thrash me for not liking their beloved field respec but if crap is what they like good for them. Bring the game in this new era, doing things like they were done 25 years ago is only good for the fanboys.

Edited by Ultack

• 4 weeks later...