Class Feedback

Hi everyone,

1. How do you think your Shadow spec is perceived by other classes?

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Thank you!

1. Depending on the environment the class is in and the spec being played, anything from bad to okay.

Infiltration = Bad

Balance = Okay (PvE) / Meh (PvP)

Kinetic = Meh (PvE) / OP OMG (PvP...if in dps gear) or Bad (PvP...if in tank gear.)

2. I have played a Kinetic Shadow since the first Beta Weekends I got into back in September last year. It was a blast to play and still is to some extent. But since 1.3's changes the kinetic has been less rewarding to play. It is still fun of course or else I wouldn't be playing it, but my time would be better spent elsewhere if I were truly trying to do my absolute best for those I was grouped with.

In solo play I no longer feel like a powerful hero trying to do what he can for the galaxy. Instead I feel more like just another nameless individual struggling to survive another day....because that's what the fights have turned into. From the heroic combat to a struggle to survive.

Since 1.3 I have not done any group content as my friends no longer play. *shrugs* Such is life.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PvP Perspective Infiltration Shadow

The infiltration spec is very underrated because it does single target DPS. I have nothing against AoE damage but it is not as valuable as single target. I don't know what the factor would be but certainly I would prefer 200K single to 250K AoE. People look at the scoreboard too much.

The spec has two main problems that can be fixed easily.

• It runs out of force fast.
  • It is known as a squishy class with little defensive abilities.

The timer on force cloak should be lowered. This will solve both problems. The AC will die less, but if focused, will be forced into stealth where it will do little damage. With the Shadow's respite ability ,lowering the cooldown, will simultaneously solve the force management problem. I seriously think the developers need to look at the class rotation and just do the math, if the AC does it's normal rotation twice it will be on empty. (Clar Stike x2, project, force breach) Two abilities, whirling blow and shadow strike (without buff) are not usable because of the resource limitation,

The force cloak ability should also stop all dots. Currently, to use force cloak and not immediately reappear, you need to hit force cloak, then resilience to remove dots that make you reappear and then force speed so an AoE does not make you reappear. You need to burn three cool downs. The only other solution is to make it so that DoTs do not bring you back in combat or blow stealth. You would also need 2-3 seconds of increased stealth because everyone sees you when you are within 4 meters and that is where you normally are when you use this ability. (melee class)

The other melee dps has undying rage & a force camo that is on a 30 second cooldown. They don't have the ability to stay in stealth (I hate comparing classes because there is so much more left out) but from a strictly combat perspective, as a defensive ability force cloak is barely usable:

1. the cooldown is three minutes in WZ's where the average duration is 12 minutes
  2. need to burn two other cooldowns to work
  3. bug causing you to stay in combat at least 50% of the time

The Shadows Respite ability should be moved up in the tree if the timer is lowered. Both balance and KC have other force management abilities that should not be combined with this one.

2. I love my spec, I am a true lone wolf. You leave one person guarding a node I will down them before you can respond. Not suitable to rated though, great for solo que.

I agree, it is a great 1V1 spec. It also has utility.

However, most of PvP is team combat and that's why I say what I said above. Apart from combat we have stealth which is very usefull in PvP. The Mezz is great. We have three CC abilities. We have force speed which is usefull, a taunt : ), and a knockback. I think we are balanced by not having any usefull AoE abilities and 0 abilities greater then 4 meters. We have no pull,push or leap. We are a single burst target class with stealth, but we need more resouce (force) management and more escape ability.

Edited by richardya

Hi everyone,

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

I play an Infilitration hybrid (0/24/17) but would like to play (and will comment as) Infilitration.

1/ Infilitration is perceived as weak in PVP, extremely poor suvivability while dpsing, a predictable rotation and no ranged options with neither a ranged attack nor an instant gap closer.

A poor choice for rateds, almost any other class is a better choice.

2/ My perception? Well I play a hybrid for a reason. The days of a pure melee class with no ranged attacks is dead, it makes pvp (and PVE) terribly frustrating. A ranged attack or preferably a Shadow step ability is essential to making an Infil shadow desirable in group play. Survivability while dpsing also needs a look, DPS is fine.

As an example. Shadow Shift: 45 second cool down. Transports Jedi Shadow to rear of target within 30m, also next Shadow Strike costs 50% less Force and ignores 60% of targets armour.

Very deep in Infil tree, say 28 points.

Edited by Sildanar

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601ZGhbRZfRbRrrkMc.2

0/13/28

I run this build in Force Technique since 1.3. I'll switch to KC when needed..not often :(.. i like tank

1. How do others view Shadow spec.

Any other is better...dps or tank.

2. How do I view my spec.

Wish we had dmg and utility capabilities of other dps. And defensive capabilities of other tanks.

I'd like to see...

Remove self heal from tank and beef up armor to other tank equivalent. ...Add more self heal and dmg output to Balance and Infiltration

Thank you!

31pt tank, PvP and PvE

- pros: versatile, agro management and crowd control

- cons: spiky health management, easy to "read" in pvp (1v1 in particular)

- pros: versatile, abilities (situational awerness),

- cons: self heal is miniscule and poor (insta cast with or without HoT is prefered), miniscule and poor D/R

edit: please.. for the love of Star Wars and Sci-Fi.. replace crappy-fantasy the Kinetic Ward animation

edit: please.. for the love of the Shadows.. replace the color-hue for our bubbles and stuff.. yellow and golden..

Edited by eclipce

I have played both infiltration and Kinetic combat in operations so will comment on both although i ma currently running as a tank for the guild.

My comments are purely for PVE

Infiltration:

Perception: Poor DPS, Very Poor Surviability, Don't choose it for ops unless you have no choice

My view: For an advanced class in light armour that is meant to have good burst dps the reality is very different. The DPS is simply woeful in comparison to the other classes. Two of us in my guild have played infiltration in PVE and both have came to the same conclusion forget it. I now run a sentinel DPS in Ops and he now runs a vanguard. The problem is that you would think as a trade off for having light armour and therefore taking more damage in an operation than other classes that your DPS would be awesome, some of the best in the game, is just isn't though. Other classes do way more DPS, i dont even have to try to do more dps on my sentinel and my guild mate on his dps vanguard was doinf more dps on poorly geared vangaurd than his shadow in rakata/black hole/campaign gear. The other classes have far better survivabiltiy in ops too there just no reason to take a shadow unless no one else is available which is shame as loved playing my infiltration shadow. Oh and if you sort out the DPS can you find some way of making the procs easier to notice?

Kinetic Shadow:

Perception: Great therat generation, Very Spikey Damage thses days, Great on some bosses not so much on others. Would probably prefer a guardian or vanguard

My View: I think since 1.3 the damage has become a bit too spikey compared to the other tanks. I also play a guardian and this is very evident on kephess. The AOE therat generation since 1.3 has been very beneficial for tanking the trandoshan trench cutters on HM EC and keeping them off the healers, i neveer had a problem with single target aggro so that has not changed. Since we have very spikey damage at the moment i think either you need to raise the armour buff up to around 125-130% or rather controversiouly improve our cooldowns.

I know i know resilience at times can be the best cooldown in the game but its so situationally dependant and with our much spikier damage this can be an issue. Again alot of people say deflection is amazing but saber ward is better not only does it give 50% to ranged and melee defenses it absorbs 25% of tech and force attacks. I think making combat readiness into a proper cooldown would help e.g. restoring 20% of our health instead of 10 as at the moment its useless in a fight like kephess. My basic problem is both our cooldowns are situtionally dependant on the type of damage you are taking and on certain fights they are not necessarily that useful so either a self heal on demand that is useful or a new cooldown which aborbs all type of incoming damage like warding call.

I just think if you are going to make us the tank with the spikiest damage we should have the best cooldowns that are not all situationally dependant

As an example. Shadow Shift: 45 second cool down. Transports Jedi Shadow to rear of target within 30m, .

This would be the equivalent of giving shadows force leap, not gonna happen. Would break PvP.

Edited by richardya

• 3 weeks later...

I hope no one minds if I throw in my 2 cents...

Balance - PVE

1. Squishy. Under-performing DPS.

2. I like playing my Shadow. So I will figuratively stick my tongue out at all the naysayers :p. In all seriousness though, the Balance spec suits my play style very well. I love the combo of force abilities and melee. It makes me feel like a versatile and, well, *balanced* combatant.

I have my toon since the beta and have played 2 31 8 and 31 0 10. Since 1.2 my main spec has become the classic 31 0 10.

No matter the patch or changes people claim my spec is overpowered. Those who cannot beat me shout that my shadow plays itself and I need to be nerfed as i have an unfair advantage. This cannot be father from the truth. Shadow tanks die quite fast when focused properly and our only viable defensive cooldown, resilience, has been nerfed in 1.4, therefore making us target practice. People complain about my cloak, about my force speed and about my force pull. In a nutshell? NERF ME I AM OP!

My spec is quite versatile at this point in time. Aggro management is excellent, damage output and gap closing is spot on. The 45s coolddown on resilience is a vital tool in denova as I take quite the damage compared to other tanks. Similar in warzones it provides me with sufficient leeway to avoid the 4-5 juggernauts prepare to smash every 12 seconds. I do admit that I feel very squishy sometimes given that my armour and self heals have been nerfed. Do not get me wrong, I am not asking for a buff or calling out other classes to be nerfed. I am simply trying to state that the spec is good as it is now and it should be left alone.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

I am a new player to the game and these are my perceptions/experience...I came from another MMO and have played MMOs for 5-6 years.

1. Perception was this would be a cool dps class, mix of ranged/melee

2. Reality: in solo play I notice it takes me quite a bit longer to kill mobs...I am moderately sturdy with points in kc tree and balance tree. Was expecting a good balance of attacks...but currently find I need to spend most time at moderate range and if I close to melee double strike is my only real viable attack. I also run out of force extremely fast...a mob of 4 will leave me waiting on force to regen before 3 are dead. Not sure what others really think have played solo so far. I find, if I am equal level to strong minions or elites, even with the best gear I can buy/find I have problems with surviving at level 21 so far. Just my 2 cents from a fresh perspective.

Edited by planet_J