Endar Spire On Taris? Really?

Jacen_Starsolo

I was installing Windows 8 on my new hard drive today. So while it was installing, I powered up KotOR. And had to start from the beginning since the 360 had no saves on it. All the saves on the old school Xbox.

Anyhow when Revan and Carth hit the escape pod, something happened that I really forgot about. I guess the writers of TOR forgot too. The Spire EXPLODED. So question is... what's that wreck that looks like it just crashed on Taris 300 years later, Bioware? It can't be the ship that blew up into more pieces than Alderaan did in the original Star Wars movie.

KOTOR also shows nothing that looks like a planet-wide bombardment. Chalk it up to the limitations of the available animation at the time.

Wait, you mean besides seeing the entire sith fleet turbo lasering taris into rubble? Or the fact than in Davik's hangar the building is crumbling around you?

As for the endar spire, it sploded but that doesn't mean it disentigrated. But back then you didn't have the graphical capabilities to show 100s of pieces of a starship falling planetside

Edited by Xenirath

Wait, you mean besides seeing the entire sith fleet turbo lasering taris into rubble? Or the fact than in Davik's hangar the building is crumbling around you?

As for the endar spire, it sploded but that doesn't mean it disentigrated. But back then you didn't have the graphical capabilities to show 100s of pieces of a starship falling planetside

You see the big red ball of gas it was turned into. Watch the scene again. That can not be the big chunk of ship we see on Taris in this game how that explosion happened. It was bigger than the ship itself as there was nothing of the ship to see in that explosion.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

You see the big red ball of gas it was turned into. Watch the scene again.

I know what you are saying, but think about this. The ship itself is much much larger than that small fraction on taris. If you want a reason its there imaging one of those offshoots of orange is debris. Alternative you try seeing a 300 by 300 meter piece of hull in space at approximately 50 miles.

Perspective is a funny thing, you know an Aircraft carrier? A space cruiser is like 20 times larger at least.

I know what you are saying, but think about this. The ship itself is much much larger than that small fraction on taris. If you want a reason its there imaging one of those offshoots of orange is debris. Alternative you try seeing a 300 by 300 meter piece of hull in space at approximately 50 miles.

Perspective is a funny thing, you know an Aircraft carrier? A space cruiser is like 20 times larger at least.

I don't think it actually is. When you look at the same ship on Balmorra, its the same size as whats on Taris, so to me, it looks the devs made the whole ship as part of the Tarisian landscape.

I agree with the original point made. The Endar Spire exploded, and explosions don't usually leave whole sections of ships in tact, not to mention re-entry and crashing through layers of the city above before reaching the bottom. Would kinda leave it a little damaged :p

Its a small thing and not something I would worry about. Just a small oversight. :D

I don't think it actually is. When you look at the same ship on Balmorra, its the same size as whats on Taris, so to me, it looks the devs made the whole ship as part of the Tarisian landscape.

I agree with the original point made. The Endar Spire exploded, and explosions don't usually leave whole sections of ships in tact, not to mention re-entry and crashing through layers of the city above before reaching the bottom. Would kinda leave it a little damaged :p

Its a small thing and not something I would worry about. Just a small oversight. :D

Meh, either way it doesn't matter to me. But remember kotor is old old oldy old. They only really had 2d sprites for explosions.

Yeah, and? Nothing in Kotor mattered or, depending and what you did, happened. Everything is retconned.

(One of the reasons I don't take TOR seriously, and avoid anything that will ruin KOTOR for me, I've been playing since beta and I still haven't bothered to play the Revan mission.

It is a retcon, plain and simple. For the price of having the Endar Spire shot down rather than atomised, we get a nifty little quest full of nostalgic music and references that strengthens the link between TOR's story and KOTOR's. Fair trade I would say. Edited by Kualan

Let's put this into perspective, and this is in favor of the above quote.

An Aircraft Carrier..specifically a Nimitz Class Supercarrier is 1092 (333 meters) feet long. A Star Destroyer is 5249.344 (1600 meters) feet long. Figure sizes haven't changed much as far as length (Or I could be wrong.) and rounding down on the Star Destroyer to an even 5249 feet, we're looking at a ship thirty one feet shy of being exactly one mile long, considering a mile is 5280 (1609 meters) feet.

So it's possible some of it actually survived.

Dude where have you been? When Spock went back in time in that last movie he changed history and now Star Wars is heading off in a completley new direction. That movie came out between Kotor and this game. It doesn't matter what you saw in kotor. It is all different now. Jeez Edited by Pcolapat

It is a retcon, plain and simple. For the price of having the Endar Spire shot down rather than atomised, we get a nifty little quest full of nostalgic music and references that strengthens the link between TOR's story and KOTOR's. Fair trade I would say.

Hmmm Nicely put.

That's not really true. Explosions and having it hot enough to disintegrate what is exploding are two different things. Try it yourself. Go blow something up. You'll find pieces all over the place. Basically, the large explosion is just the burning of combustible material. Usually, this isn't what makes things blow it, it's the force the explosion creates. That, and it's hard to burn metal.

So could there be a large explosion that looks really bad, but keeps the ship mostly intact? Sure why not. Also, I mean you're arguing realism here in a game that has people walking around with energy beams that can cut through anything in their hand. They can also wave their hand and knock people over.

Endar Spire is a Hammerhead-class cruiser with a length of 315 meters.

This pic suggestes the escape-pod was already under way for a while when the Spire exploded ( http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071006170852/starwars/images/8/85/Escapepodkotor.JPG ) as the explosion is rather small compared tto the size of the pod, so it could be possible that the bigger parts remaining of the ship are just not visible right there and then.

I agree with OP, I was confused when I saw it in game but I am glad they put it there. To me the ship was just dust but it could be argued against, one of the arguments being the brightness of the explosion, smoke etc could have obscured the main section of the ship.

There are a few inconsistencies in this game, another is..

On DK, one of the Sith Lords has Revans mask, so how did Revan have it in the Foundry?

Edited by smexymage

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Endar_Spire

"...Revan, Ulgo, and Onasi engaged the Sith and made their way to the ship's main bridge in search of Shan, who had already escaped. Shortly thereafter, Revan and Onasi got in an escape pod and fled as well, with Ulgo sacrificing himself so that Revan and Onasi would survive. Realizing that Shan was no longer aboard the ship, the Sith fleet opened fire on the Endar Spire, completely destroying it."