Lost Island HM waste of time

L.I. Is a skill check instance. There are more mechanics going on in the first droid fight than people understand. Incinerate being a tank killer, the aoe being an un-attentive player killer, the mobs being a healer killer, the floor being a placement killer.

You can't do this place without paying attention and I honestly think that we should have more tier 2 flashpoints. You don't need to do them as a player, you don't need those 5 bh comms when there are easier ways to get comms.

It's not a waste, it's a check.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to tackle LI HM is to forgo the GF and head in manually. The reasons for this are plenty, and primary center around the LR-5 boss and the tactics required to defeat it.

I would still use it and do but make your group and then use it for the travel to and so you can be put back were you were at the start ...

IF you made your group you can still use it for the daily HM if you have not done it yet ...

This flashpoint is like any other content in every game. I remember when we would wipe on SM KP or SM EV. Now we can 5 man HM EV with 2 fresh 50's in green gear. I hated Lost Island the first 2 times I did it , we wiped numious times, but the 3rd time it was easier, we had a close call, but no deaths. Now we we run through it like it is sm EV. Once you learn the mechinics, it is easy just like every other flashpoint or ops.

My suggestion get with a group to learn the fight.

Personally I love crappy pugs in HMFPs on my healer, It makes me learn to be a better healer, manage my energy and protect myself which helps me when I am in harder content like the Ciphas, Heirad, and Kel’Sara fight in HM TfB.

I agree with Vankris, wipping isn't that bad of a thing, what I would add wiping isn't bad if you and the group are learning from the wipe. We wiped I know 6 times in a row on Kephess in HM TfB, we learned from the mistakes and all it did was make the next time all the more rewarding when we beat him...(not really sure how many times it took. Sawbones...I dropped out of combat a few times when they yelled wipe it up, so I didn't die everytime. Still point stands wiping isn't the end all if you are learning from the wipe. If you go right back and do the exact same thing and expect a different outcome, then yeah wipping is a problem.

You know, I for the longest time couldn't finish EV SM with my juggernaut (vengeance spec) be cause the tanks would always get wiped out to quickly and the healers weren't keeping up there HP (and this was only the first boss!). But after three torturous experiences I finally completed the whole quest, and I wouldn't change a thing because it taught me when to use certain powers as my main toon. Now from that experience I am almost in complete BH gear.

Edited by ZayneDraay

I think the game tutorial should explain about this being harder kind of FP for new players and make people do it story mode first before they use GF for hm.

truly painful experience, which was utterly the blame of human factor.

You are aware that LI is tier 2, right? Should be enough of an explanation for people, if not, then they will learn the hard way.

As many have said before, LI is the fastest HM FP when done with a good group and the easiest way to get the 5 BH comms from the GF daily. My guild solely runs LI HM for our GF daily multiple times a day (most of us have at least two 50s in at least 61+ gear). The big problem I see, as many have mentioned, is inexperienced or vastly undergeared players.

LI HM can absolutely be completed in columi if the group actually full knows and understands the mechanics of the fights. Part of the problem is that there are so many people who have gone into LI HM and have been carried through. When my guild runs 3 person GF q's we usually have a tank, dps, and healer. On more than one occasion, the second "random" dps would die during the first two bosses. Instead, of wiping and waiting for them, we usually just continue on and kill the boss ourselves. Even if the 4th or 3rd member of our group isn't that bad, there is often quite a bit going on that we as a partial guild group are taking care of.

Most of the time I try to be nice and help explain mechanics and stuff to people, but sometimes you can't cure stupid/bad. Yesterday, as an example, I was tanking LI HM on my Jugg alt (full 61s augmented) and was put into a LI already in progress on the second boss. I get in, make sure everyone knows the mechanics, which pipe console they are going to, etc. I then pull the boss and within a matter of minutes proceed to die. Three pulls later and it is quite apparent our healer is terrible. I talk to him about it to help his rotation (my first main was an op healer), but he still keeps failing. Upon closer inspection, I realize he is in full war hero with some elite war hero gear. I make the comment that this might be easier if he was in PvE gear, but he then responds by telling me I'm stupid and why would he want a few extra stats when he could get the player healing bonus provided by expertise. I almost facepalmed in disbelief of the stupidity. I tried to explain that's not how expertise worked, but he wouldn't hear any of it. Perhaps the worst part of all this is that LI HM can be healed in WH with partial EWH pieces if the healer is actually good. Unfortunately, this guy was both bad and dumb.

simplely not true, i have done with guildmates in 16minutes and not a one of us use stealth.

i agree that going with guild helps as the chance of getting 2 sents with 13k hp each with a 11k guardian tank without a shield in a dps stance is really low and yes i seen groups like that for this flashpoint. if they don't get the fight 3rd time around start asking ur guild or friends for a replacement as 4th or 5th is just a waste. but i would highly suggest that anyone turning 50 alteast take a good monent to read up on this flashpoint before even thinking of que for this becuase the gear help but not as much as knowing they fights.

I did not know level 50 guardians with 11K HP existed! I guess there is a first time for everything!

Most of the time I try to be nice and help explain mechanics and stuff to people, but sometimes you can't cure stupid/bad. Yesterday, as an example, I was tanking LI HM on my Jugg alt (full 61s augmented) and was put into a LI already in progress on the second boss. I get in, make sure everyone knows the mechanics, which pipe console they are going to, etc. I then pull the boss and within a matter of minutes proceed to die. Three pulls later and it is quite apparent our healer is terrible. I talk to him about it to help his rotation (my first main was an op healer), but he still keeps failing. Upon closer inspection, I realize he is in full war hero with some elite war hero gear. I make the comment that this might be easier if he was in PvE gear, but he then responds by telling me I'm stupid and why would he want a few extra stats when he could get the player healing bonus provided by expertise. I almost facepalmed in disbelief of the stupidity. I tried to explain that's not how expertise worked, but he wouldn't hear any of it. Perhaps the worst part of all this is that LI HM can be healed in WH with partial EWH pieces if the healer is actually good. Unfortunately, this guy was both bad and dumb.

1/ War hero can be good enough for EC HM, while I don't personally agree it should be that's another argument. The fact is it's good enough for a lot of tough end game content including LI HM, even better than the columi you described as good enough.

2/ The healer was probably on about the set bonus you get with PvP gear is better than the set bonus PvE gear provides for his class. Now with BM gear (for the shells) gone I could see a lot of ops/scoundrels taking up war hero instead.

And finally, are you sure it was the healers fault or was he just an easy scapegoat to pick considering you all died and he couldn't keep you up? I've played all three roles of this flashpoint now. and by doing so not only I see where other people go wrong but where I did in the past too. My first commando heal run of LI HM was interesting, we had a few wipes and I was worrying that my healing wasn't good enough due to running out of resources trying to keep everyone up especially on sav rak. Then one of the dps quit, a new one joined and all of a sudden any issues I had with healing went away and we nailed the flashpoint without a wipe or death after that.

How was that? Because that DPS who left was getting hit hard and taking too much damage (for whatever reason) and trying just to keep him alive was putting myself out of resources and that chain effect affects the rest of the group. Maybe it goes further than that and is an agro issue due to no guard off the tank but the new dps that joined didn't have any issues so he probably just wasn't being careful.

At the end of the day there could be a number of factors to consider as to why a group fails, if everyone dies quickly it's not always the healers fault.

Edited by FlyinSpaghetti

I did not know level 50 guardians with 11K HP existed! I guess there is a first time for everything!

you probably can as a f2p because you have only 1 crew skill which could be a gathering once and you haven't done flashpoints since obviously for a f2p player they are limited, he's probably in full greens and without relics.

you probably can as a f2p because you have only 1 crew skill which could be a gathering once and you haven't done flashpoints since obviously for a f2p player they are limited, he's probably in full greens and without relics.

Just a quick note: F2P are not limited ot the "number" of Flashpoints they can run. They can run Flashpoints just as much as a subscriber. They are limited in 2 ways:

1) They can only roll on loot in a FlashPoint 3 times per week. (In other words: if they "pass" on loot (close the loot window without rolling) they don't consume a loot roll; if they press "greed" or "need" they consume one of their loot rolls (win or lose).)

2) They cannot equip artifact (purple) gear.

In light of that, even as a F2P player you can be wearing custom (orange) gear with prototype (blue) mods. You can also equip prototype (blue) relics.

The thing is though that the level 50 and Hard mode FPs reward mostly artifact gear, so unless they purchase the "artifact gear unlock" they will never be able to wear any of the gear at end-game (or any gear of artifact quality).

As such, they have no business being in HM LI because:

1) By default HM Lost Island is not selected in the Group Finder as it is a Tier 2 HM.

2) The Tier 2 HM section in Group Finder clearly indicates that it requires an average rating of 136 gear to be done.

3) While they can be geared for the Tier 1 HM Flashpoints (orange gear with rating 124 mods from the Daily heroics, and rating 126 mods from the Daily Commendations) they cannot equip the necessary gear to be able to reach the 136 rating required for Tier 2 HMs.

4) They cannot equip any of the gear that drops in HM LI becasue it is all artifact quality.4

(Hmmm... that turned out to be more than a "quick note"... :D)

As many have said before, LI is the fastest HM FP when done with a good group and the easiest way to get the 5 BH comms from the GF daily. My guild solely runs LI HM for our GF daily multiple times a day (most of us have at least two 50s in at least 61+ gear). The big problem I see, as many have mentioned, is inexperienced or vastly undergeared players.

LI HM can absolutely be completed in columi if the group actually full knows and understands the mechanics of the fights. Part of the problem is that there are so many people who have gone into LI HM and have been carried through. When my guild runs 3 person GF q's we usually have a tank, dps, and healer. On more than one occasion, the second "random" dps would die during the first two bosses. Instead, of wiping and waiting for them, we usually just continue on and kill the boss ourselves. Even if the 4th or 3rd member of our group isn't that bad, there is often quite a bit going on that we as a partial guild group are taking care of.

I healed LI HM on my Smuggler healer who had JUST dinged 50 an hour earlier wearing Recruit PvP gear. (The old Recruit gear, not the much better MK-2 we have now)

Gear helps, but it is the player sitting at the keyboard that matters the most.

I healed LI HM on my Smuggler healer who had JUST dinged 50 an hour earlier wearing Recruit PvP gear. (The old Recruit gear, not the much better MK-2 we have now)

Gear helps, but it is the player sitting at the keyboard that matters the most.

your group's gear level matters a lot too, yours is a very good accomplishment but it also begs the question about the gear level of the rest of the group.

LI gets way too easy when you go with over geared people

last time I did it a few days ago tank didn't even bother dodging the satchles and I had no problem healing through it heh

this FP was way more fun the first few times I did it not being overgeared at all as a healer

also I dont know why people think lorrik is hard at all, it's the easiest boss in the FP imo. If you're struggling with him you probably have some ****** dps in group, I've only ever done LI through the group finder and I've never ever ever went past 3 kolto tanks, and most of the time only 2. Aka phase 1 with the poison circles he stops when the kolto tanks stop.

To the OP,

You need to add 'for me' to your post title.

LI HM is certainly not a 'waste of time' for everyone, I run it atleast once a week for the weekly BH marks, I am not well geared and have never run an Operation, but LI is not hard, you just need to observe the mechanics and possibly group with players you know or make sure everyone understands the fights involved, sure, wipes will happen, but coming to the forums and stating such a subjective opinion will only get you 'L2Pd'....

:)

your group's gear level matters a lot too, yours is a very good accomplishment but it also begs the question about the gear level of the rest of the group.

Oh I agree totally.

The rest of the group was geared fairly well IIRC and I probably would have had some issues with either lesser geared or talented players.

Tanking it on my Powertech a guildy Merc healer used to take off all his gear (except maybe belt/bracers) and heal the run.

(He had @ 11k health IIRC)

He originally did it as a joke because my tank is ridiculously easy to heal.

I will admit that I WAS a bit "concerned" the 1st time he did it, but they ended up pulling it off so from then on when ever I tanked a Lost Island HM run he would strip off his gear to heal me.

(made him take off the belt and bracers for Kaon. 9,500 health. he really was/is an amazing healer)

That right there shows me that it is the player not the gear.

Heck, he wasn't really wearing any gear...

Edited by Lutese

This flash point was " tough " at one point but it's been nerfed to make it easy for all. It's not terribly long either.

Agreed. Back in February, when the first 3-5 lightning bubbles lr-5 dropped were invisible half the time, this flashpoint was crazy. Savrak doesn't seem to hit as hard anymore either.

Edit: or march or whatever. whenever this fp first came out.

Edited by Larry_Dallas

i know i was shocked but when i looked at his gear on 2 pieces were above lvl 45 the rest was 23-38 lvl gear and no relics.

Most issues in this FP are players related.

1- Bad healer. I mean, really bad healer, the kind of "you'll receive heals when my cup of tea will be in my mouth and the cup on the table back again" healers.

2- Bad tank. I know I'm one of these when I do it with melee dps, it's really hard to interrupt, move and cycle aggro generating stuff for a mouseclicker, but I still worked through it with a recruit marauder in the group. The tank has to know 75% of his attention (if not more) has to be put on Incinerate and how to counter it. Damage dealers already have enough work without having to do this.

3- Bad damage dealer(s). This boss requires about 2000 DPS overall, I've seen tries where I, as a tank, was doing more than what the 2 damage dealers were doing together. You read it right, a tank outclassing TWO damage dealers at THEIR work. Trying to pass guildies, I "soloed" him and found he enraged at about 20% with 1200dps. Not enough, but I had clearly non-optimal gear. One fat ranged damage dealer will be able to meet the enrage timer.

4- Bad group cohesion. Even with 1-2-3 ok, each one has to pay attention to what he does and what others do.

I first healed it and can confirm a too weak damage dealer is a pain on Sav-rak (was merc, almost full augmented WH), but I learnt from it and am now better at healing. When available, the damage dealers should pop their defensive CDs, bubbles... before the barbecue party. Lorrick requires the tank to avoid grenades, but if damage dealers (and tank in case of melee) do their job properly it's doable anyway with a fat tank. The healer will hate you because he won't be able to DPS the kolto tank, but it's doable.

I tank it too, and it works even in regular mixed Vindicator/War leader WH gear (with mixed BM ear/implants btw), as long as the healer doesn't have to burn everything on the damage dealers and himself. I once have been able to pass LR-5 with ~13k damage taken during the whole fight (as a sin, sorc healer).

Really, this FP is a check for everything, and I sort of use it as a gauge for my guildies because of that... not all have passed, and not necessarily the supposedly undergeared ones have failed.

From my experience I personally don't think it's a waste of time. And as far as how long it takes that's really dependant on the people your running with. Every one should be properly geared in at least tionese (although I've completed it with people having less than tionese). The tier 1 hard modes you can get away with mistakes as a group but in lost Island make one mistake and your wiping. You need every team member alive and on the same page.

You will wipe several times if you're with anybody who has never completed lost Island.

the time it takes to get through that FP on hm is same like doing 5 time KP or EV.

this FP is utter waste of time.. after doing it once and getting useless loot for it.

I went through LI HM about 5 times now with a tank and an healer... each time it's at least one wipe on LR-5 and 2 wipes at least on Dr Lorrik.

This just frustrating quest as it's gets.

even kephess final boss fight on EC was easier then this one.

what's the point?

and worst part is the human factor.. try to explain to people not to walk on the circle as they'll get a DOT... damn someone got it 12 times in one try of Dr L.

utter waste of time.

and gear factor I got mix from columi (2\3 parts) upto campaign gear.

The LR-5 battle is a mechanics and strategy heavy fight.

The DPS MUST be the same. Either both rDPS or both mDPS. If you have 1 of each, the battle gets tougher.

The Tank MUST hold Aggro throughout this fight. There are no exceptions and it makes things harder on everyone else if they don't.

I can't speak to the Ranged Tank, but if you have a Melee Tank, you can do LR-5 one of two ways, depending on your DPS arrangement:

1. The Tank can attempt to hold threat on LR-5 on the center platform while the Ranged DPS nail him from either the left or right sides of the room.

2. The Tank can pull LR-5 around the room while Melee DPS beat him from behind.

In both cases, it is CRITICAL that everyone avoid the Static Balls he drops, because they are deadly. If you see a white reticle under you, get ready to move quickly when it changes color. He tends to target the DPS more than anyone else with this, but towards the end, the Tank may have to move off the center platform IF you chose to stay there and battle him. He has a soft enrage, but it is absolutely critical that you try to eat up as much of his health as possible before he becomes enraged, because then the static balls become a real problem.

It is also CRITICAL that you interrupt Incinerate when LR-5 casts it. 5 stacks of that WILL kill a BH/Campaign geared Tank.

The Tank should also determine early on which of his/her DPS will be generating the most threat and hit them with Guard(I'm speaking to the Guardian Tank here).

The Healer has to be on top of things in this fight. If the Tank falls, everyone dies. They should be as close to the DPS as possible to hit them with AOE heals and close enough to target the Tank when needed.

Edited by DarknessInLight

I can't speak to the Ranged Tank, but if you have a Melee Tank, you can do LR-5 one of two ways, depending on your DPS arrangement:

1. The Tank can attempt to hold threat on LR-5 on the center platform while the Ranged DPS nail him from either the left or right sides of the room.

2. The Tank can pull LR-5 around the room while Melee DPS beat him from behind.

Tank can keep on the LR-5 in the center of the platfor, rdps and nail him for the the right, left, back or front...mDPS run out and plant spark bubble away from rDps/ healer and tank then force leap or force speed back into fight. Easy, just takes a little awareness by mDPS.

Edited by mikebevo

Tank can keep on the LR-5 in the center of the platfor, rdps and nail him for the the right, left, back or front...mDPS run out and plant spark bubble away from rDps/ healer and tank then force leap or force speed back into fight. Easy, just takes a little awareness by mDPS.

does not work all that well plus they have to be really good mdps for this to even be part of this plan. yes i have tank this and see the epic fail mdps try and the rare "good ones". and the best ones still force the tank off the center at some point usually its 35% hp on the boss or before 99% of the time and this is even with guild mates.

the time it takes to get through that FP on hm is same like doing 5 time KP or EV.

this FP is utter waste of time.. after doing it once and getting useless loot for it.

I went through LI HM about 5 times now with a tank and an healer... each time it's at least one wipe on LR-5 and 2 wipes at least on Dr Lorrik.

This just frustrating quest as it's gets.

even kephess final boss fight on EC was easier then this one.

what's the point?

and worst part is the human factor.. try to explain to people not to walk on the circle as they'll get a DOT... damn someone got it 12 times in one try of Dr L.

utter waste of time.

and gear factor I got mix from columi (2\3 parts) upto campaign gear.

l2p m8 LI its the only fun fp in this game and its easy if u know wot to do the only problem i finde with pugs its pepole who didint do it on storry mode jump in to do hm normly i just kick vote them

last time i had tank who insted of interupting boss he runn off from the fire and range of my heals/cure