Rolled an IA just for fun

Concession

This isn't my main or anything, I have a Sorc as my main, but was wondering if anyone had any advice for an Adv class spec (My main is set up for pvp so I don't plan on doing alot of pvp on this character, except maybe a daily from time 2 time.)

I just hit level 10 and got my 1st companion.

I don't care if you spoil things- so any feedback would be apprecited.

From my point of view (lvl 50 IA, 50 SW, levelling a BH atm), you have nothing to gain from rolling an Agent.

You can choose to be melee which is seriously gimped at the moment. Or you could go healing or ranged dps, both of which your Sorcerer will do better (bringing more utility into PvE/PvP situations).

Also, you have nothing to gain from the story, since its lame with boring companions. Both the Bountyhunter and the Warrior story are much better off there.

People will disagree, but these are my 2 cents.

From my point of view (lvl 50 IA, 50 SW, levelling a BH atm), you have nothing to gain from rolling an Agent.

You can choose to be melee which is seriously gimped at the moment. Or you could go healing or ranged dps, both of which your Sorcerer will do better (bringing more utility into PvE/PvP situations).

Also, you have nothing to gain from the story, since its lame with boring companions. Both the Bountyhunter and the Warrior story are much better off there.

Where do I begin with this? I don't know, so I'm just going to respectfully disagree with everything you've said there.

I will say that despite its shortcomings and frustrations, the IA is in fact a very fun class thats well worth playing. The story is easily the best in the game IMO, though I understand this will entirely be a subjective experience.

As for advanced spec it really bogs down to this question - Do you like the cover system? If yes then stick with the sniper, if no then go operative. If you do plan on playing it casually then I'd probably say go with the Operative since it's easier and less stress-free to level due to stealth, heals and a sap ability. I personally feel it suits the storyline and general feel of an 'agent' a lot more than the sniper does.

I'm currently leveling a sniper alt, but I'm also wondering what it offers vs a sorc too. I didn't want to play a sorc cause I like that the agents use guns, but I might be rolling a sorc alt anyway.

From my limited experience (only been playing a short time) coming from a healing sorcerer in the 20's to try a comparison as a healing operative (currently in the teens) I am very disappointed - I think it all boils down to having 100 'energy' with which to spend on my abilities as the agent compared to 500 'force' to spend as a Sith (abilities seem to have similar point costs though I haven't checked too deeply). Fighting a yellow boss or white champion four levels lower than me I run out of abilities too quickly even with the two recharge abilities so I just can't stay in the (PvE) fight solo, let alone think about grouping as a healer for other content. I'm going to try respeccing my points out of healing into something else and see if my fun picks up again, otherwise I'll write off the operative and try a sniper. (I don't mind the cover system).

It'll be a melee and positional fighting style. Cover to probe is still good burst damage. keep your companion geared using in DPS stance aoe active on trash to tank stance single AOE abilities deactivated on multi elite pulls.

your anytime CC only works on droids and when cast aggro's all linked mobs, thderefore you should sleep dart a humanoid before CC'ing the droid in dual mobtype pulls. We can't reset a fight with CC except against a droid as seep dart os out of combat from stealth only. Don't forget your flashbang if you decide to run or need a slight DPS pause on a pack. or an interupt.

roll your hot's kolto probes refreshing with 1 KP every 15ish seconds. Last KP cast resets the stack and duration so you can alos enter a fight with 2-3 singles out making them full length doubles on engagement.

The talent Medical Therapy tier V is broken as it applies to our HOT's possibly also surgical probe I didn't care to pencil the data until you see a patch note saying they fixed it, it is best to avoid that talent as a result. My bug reports get me watch for future patch updates message. This lets you get more survivability or energy efficiency talents.

Energy energy energy stay above 60 whenever you can. Get stim boost up ASAP for the extra regen. Rifle fire spam in long fights with a backstab shiv corrosive dart and topping your heals is very durable(Obviously debilitate early but you won't be fighting long enough to get 2 off). Be sure and cleanse Debuffs on kaliyo your tank by gold elites minimizes damage taken on many elites.

Honestly, I disagree.

IA storyline was quite good, and yes I have a level 50 BH as well, and the BH storyline started out good then became predictable and boring. The IA story line is good in the fact that it's actually hard to predict until the end. Where I knew 1/2 way through chapter 2 on BH what was going to happen.

Eventually I plan on playing other classes for storyline but in my opinion IA storyling far outweighs BH storyline based on predictability.

Where do I begin with this? I don't know, so I'm just going to respectfully disagree with everything you've said there.

I will say that despite its shortcomings and frustrations, the IA is in fact a very fun class thats well worth playing. The story is easily the best in the game IMO, though I understand this will entirely be a subjective experience.

As for advanced spec it really bogs down to this question - Do you like the cover system? If yes then stick with the sniper, if no then go operative. If you do plan on playing it casually then I'd probably say go with the Operative since it's easier and less stress-free to level due to stealth, heals and a sap ability. I personally feel it suits the storyline and general feel of an 'agent' a lot more than the sniper does.

agree.... sniper is more of a front door class. Where operatives look for backdoors and side entrances which in my belief is more to cannon with the Imperial inteligence theme. A lot of covert stuff where stealth is invaluable and mindless montonous kill grinding is not always required where more finesse wins the day in some cases a lot easier than the front door approach.

Edited by Ahebish

I've only just reached level 14 on my operative and haven't even made it past the prologue, but I'm having a blast. I feel like an evil James Bond, license to kill included. I'm regularly accused by NPCs of being a heartless monster, and that's exactly how I play him. He's got a lump of ice where his heart ought to be. I'm loving it.

It'll be a melee and positional fighting style. Cover to probe is still good burst damage. keep your companion geared using in DPS stance aoe active on trash to tank stance single AOE abilities deactivated on multi elite pulls.

your anytime CC only works on droids and when cast aggro's all linked mobs, thderefore you should sleep dart a humanoid before CC'ing the droid in dual mobtype pulls. We can't reset a fight with CC except against a droid as seep dart os out of combat from stealth only. Don't forget your flashbang if you decide to run or need a slight DPS pause on a pack. or an interupt.

roll your hot's kolto probes refreshing with 1 KP every 15ish seconds. Last KP cast resets the stack and duration so you can alos enter a fight with 2-3 singles out making them full length doubles on engagement.

The talent Medical Therapy tier V is broken as it applies to our HOT's possibly also surgical probe I didn't care to pencil the data until you see a patch note saying they fixed it, it is best to avoid that talent as a result. My bug reports get me watch for future patch updates message. This lets you get more survivability or energy efficiency talents.

Energy energy energy stay above 60 whenever you can. Get stim boost up ASAP for the extra regen. Rifle fire spam in long fights with a backstab shiv corrosive dart and topping your heals is very durable(Obviously debilitate early but you won't be fighting long enough to get 2 off). Be sure and cleanse Debuffs on kaliyo your tank by gold elites minimizes damage taken on many elites.

That's some food for thought, thanks for replying - I'll rethink how I play my operative before writing it off completely. I have a few other 20-ish alts of various class types and I can appreciate how differently they tend to play compared to each other.

I've only just reached level 14 on my operative and haven't even made it past the prologue, but I'm having a blast. I feel like an evil James Bond, license to kill included. I'm regularly accused by NPCs of being a heartless monster, and that's exactly how I play him. He's got a lump of ice where his heart ought to be. I'm loving it.

Later you'll feel like Jason Bourne.