What was the deal with NGE for SWG?

Xanikk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ no wonder why the game sucked . I am not paying for a game where I cannot play the way i want for 24-48 hrs lmao.

When your Jedi in SWG pre-NGE was worth 5 other players in power, there has to be a disadvantage somewhere.

When your Jedi in SWG pre-NGE was worth 5 other players in power, there has to be a disadvantage somewhere.

Saddly that was a horrible way to balance the game then . I feel sorry for anyone having a class locked .

Would be like if Aion locked a faction forcing new players to help balance out their horrible servers that were incredibly unbalanced . Even though I was on the minority race I would never wanted that .

Saddly that was a horrible way to balance the game then . I feel sorry for anyone having a class locked .

Would be like if Aion locked a faction forcing new players to help balance out their horrible servers that were incredibly unbalanced . Even though I was on the minority race I would never wanted that .

Faction queuing is a valid mechanic to encourage balanced server populations. It's not even in the same ballpark as enabling a "class" for a player to unlock that is supposed to be rare but ultra-powerful.

It would have been one thing if these ultra-powerful characters were limited to say, warzones/battlegrounds - but when they are allowed to roam around the full game world, there must be a hefty penalty for dying. While I don't necessarily agree with permadeath, some type of mechanic to keep the proverbial "superman" class from immediately resuming their conquest of conquering has to be in place.

Obviously, I do not agree with making a "superman" class have full access to all zones on the server. I kept tabs on SWG as I had a close friend play the game for years. I almost started playing SWG until I heard what they were doing with Jedi. At that point, I marked the game off my list. The NGE and CU debacles were of no surprise to me - in fact, I had some good belly-laughs over them while talking with my friend back in the day.

Edited by Raeln

Sure , whatever makes you feel big in your life . :(

Big? No! Amused? Yes!

SWG never worked like that. If you READ my post I said it was part of a list of fixes, with the slot stasis as a personal preference. I honestly give up with munters on internet forums... it's damn hard work sometimes ;)

Edited by QuiJonPed

I like the skill-based sandbox approach most of the time. I've played EvE on and off and I wish I was around pre-NGE. It sounds like it would have been a lot of fun. It also sounds like even though Jedi were crazy OP that the amount of work that went into them to get them there was worth people's respect. Sounds really interesting. Wish I would have played it.

I like the skill-based sandbox approach most of the time. I've played EvE on and off and I wish I was around pre-NGE. It sounds like it would have been a lot of fun. It also sounds like even though Jedi were crazy OP that the amount of work that went into them to get them there was worth people's respect. Sounds really interesting. Wish I would have played it.

Fellow EVE player o/

It was good; yeah it had its problems but then what doesn't?

Jedi, pre cu were over powered but I think SOE were out of their depth. Allowing a God class, which a Jedi by definition is meant to be extremely potent, in a MMO is never a good idea. However they did require a LOT of grinding to unlock. It was like a domino effect. Once word got out how to do it, the numbers started to increase slowly and then exponentially.

Still, I'll never forget unlocking my pre-cu Jedi on Naboo. That was a sweet moment.

That was also one of the biggest complaints about the NGE. From the word go, everyone could roll a Jedi.

Pre-NGE, specifically Pre-CU:

There were 33 professions. You could mix and match these professions to your heart's content. Making for a truly unique character. My main at the beginning was a Master Teras Kasi, Master Swordsman with a smattering of Fencer and Pikeman skills (I could solo a Krayt Dragon!!!). My alt was a Master Bounty Hunter, Master Carbineer with a smattering of Smuggler and Pistoleer skills. There were far more combinations, including non-combat options, and you could truly tailor your character to your play style.

Combat: Your toon had what was called HAM bars. (H)ealth, which was a red bar, (A)ction, which was a yellow bar, (M)ind, which was a blue bar. Your skill sets depleted one or more of these as each skill typically drew from one or two of them to fuel the skill. This was something you had to micro-manage strategically in combat. WHICH WAS A GOOD THING. It made combat strategic not a spamfest of skills or constant rotation (i.e. 1,2,3,4..1,2,3,4...rinse and repeat). The reason you had to micro-manage was if you depleted any one bar too fast then your opponent(s) could utilise an attack that specifically attacked that bar which would in turn knock you out temporarily. Once knocked out, they could focus on your health bar and kill you. There were also snare attacks and knockdown attacks and stun attacks.

There were no levels, it was all skill based.

Jedi: Jedi was a hidden profession. You had to master an unknown number and unknown combination of professions to "unlock" an extra character slot that became your Jedi. Jedi WAS A LIVING NIGHTMARE to level. You had to do it in secret. If you were seen wielding a lightsaber or using Jedi skills by other players your name eventually ended up on the Bounty Hunter terminals and a player Bounty Hunter could hunt you. This was canon as SWG was immediately after A New Hope and Jedi were still hunted and scarce. Eventually, though, you became strong enough to not be too afraid of being hunted and it was not so lonely. As to the actual levelling.... holy hell... Each profession's skills were found in skill boxes. It took a certain amount of combat xp or class specific xp earned to unlock a particular skill box. Starting at 1000xp to cap at 300,000xp for some Master boxes, 600,000xp for other Master boxes. Jedi skill boxes STARTED at 1,000,000 JEDI xp, not combat xp nor any other xp. Needless to say it took A LOT of time and effort to level a Jedi. Each skill box was an accomplishment of epic proportions and mastering a discipline was cause for a 72 hour celebration filled with wine women and partying. Dying as a Jedi was the worst!!! You lost PRECIOUS xp when you died.

I mastered 27 different professions before unlocking my Jedi. I eventually ended up with a Master Lightsaber, Master Defender, with Enhance and Healing skills and I chose not to spend any xp in Powers. It goes without saying that there was a large amount of pride and accomplishment for such a feat as mastering a Jedi.

Pre-NGE but after the CU:

They now assigned levels to your character somehow based on the number of skill boxes you had mastered. This was pointless as someone could master a slew of the lowest boxes and still show the highest level. Someone could also have mastered all the crafting or entertainer professions (NON COMBAT) and still show the highest level.

Combat was not all that different but they did get rid of snares, knockdowns and stuns. Which made being a melee class difficult versus ranged classes.

Jedi: almost anyone could be a jedi, though it still took work. now all you had to do was travel to this hidden village, perform tasks, unlock a special set of "force sensitive" skills that eventually led to Jedi skills. The xp was still a nightmare and you still had to do most of it in secret, but the village took the mystery away. All you had to do to become a Jedi was a series of quests.

Remember Remember the 15th of November....THEN there was the NGE.

33 UNIQUE and mixable professions were brought down to 9 "iconic" cookie cutter professions. No one was different. EVERYONE was the same.

Jedi was a starter profession. One of the 9 "iconic" professions. And had become utterly useless because they were a melee class, the only melee class fighting in a game designed for blasters and lasers.

Combat became point and click. Target your mob, hold down the mouse button, 1,2,3,4...1,2,3,4 until dead. Move on to next mob and rinse and repeat. Again, Jedi became useless. All a ranged class had to do was target, hold down the mouse button and kite a Jedi all day long. A Jedi could not attack anything or anyone unless they were within melee range. They eventually improved a Jedi's combat effectiveness, though.

It was dumbed down beyond belief.

They may have eventually changed it to more than 5 but it never raised that high. What you're forgetting was that X = 5 RANDOM professions chosen for your account. Several of which you could find the name of by doing holocrons and 1-2 of which were completely secret and had to be guessed.

It was raised that high. I know firsthand, I have 31 screenshots of me as a master of a professions. It wasn't a random profession, it was a set number. You can confirm this because later down the line, no one "got lucky" and unlocked with 5-10 professions. The more time passed, every single person took more and more professions to unlock. There are 0 cases of someone unlocking later but with fewer professions.

Pre-NGE, specifically Pre-CU:

TRUTH

Couldn't have said it better myself, though, when you were incapacitated after losing a whole HAM bar, it wasn't a focus on health, it was just a deathblow command you initiated either by clicking on them and choosing it or spamming it with a macro like everyone did to make it happen instantly.

The CU was a rebalancing which quite a few didn't like, the NGE just turned the game into a crappy MMO that could almost have been console driven (control wise)

The crafting and item customization was truly what set SWG apart from almost every other mmo out there with resources shifting every week or two (which you had to mine out of the ground using harvesters), special materials that could be added to the mats list to improve stats of the item that would also depend on the skill of the crafter as well as bonuses from skill tapes and the different stats that exists on the resources used in the crafting (each resource had many different stats that were useful for different item crafting, like copper would have high conductivity up to a max of 1000, but I believe 999 was the highest ever seen on a server, which would be great for crafting a component that might need to be conductive, but would suck if used as an item in a component for armor which needed to be strong because copper would have a super low stat in that position)

That's a very horrible description, on my part, of the crafting but it was certainly THE single thing that I really loved about the game. Some people had some truly devastating weapons crafted out of legendary components and they were certainly a force to be reckoned with in pvp, or if they were a bounty hunter, jedi had to fear them for sure.

bottom line is if i personally had to choose which version to play over again i would choose pre NGE, pre CU with all the 32 professions, and personally i wish i would have gotten the game during hologrind I