Aussie Server Maintenance

Karsaris

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i'm going to say it.... BW/EA owe us all a 6pack of our choice for putting up with this Bullsh*t.

Really..... on a fu*king Friday!!!!!!!!

Screw you guys.

Switch 6pack with a bottle of smirnoff and I'll forgive them.

Admittedly, I have nothing to do tomorrow, so I can wait until 12am to play some more. But, this maintenance did come out of the blue for me, I didn't think I'd need to wait 4 hours to play on a Friday night.

Ok i'm going to say it.... BW/EA owe us all a 6pack of our choice for putting up with this Bullsh*t.

Really..... on a fu*king Friday!!!!!!!!

Screw you guys.

BW: We're taking your prime time playing away from you on a Friday night and you can't do sh*t!

Aussies: That's too bad, oh well let's whinge and come back when the server is online, sure BW are screwing us big time but we don't mind!

Wake up people, cancel those subscriptions or nothing will ever change!!

BW: We're taking your prime time playing away from you on a Friday night and you can't do sh*t!

Aussies: That's too bad, oh well let's whinge and come back when the server is online, sure BW are screwing us big time but we don't mind!

Wake up people, cancel those subscriptions or nothing will ever change!!

Cancelling a subscription over a maintenance time is rediculous ....

Get over yourselves and spend some time away from the computer ...

If you ahve ever played an MMO before you have had to deal with this so this thread is meaningless.

And just to clarify, im not American, European or Aussie ... so im not U.S. biased.

Edited by Maglon

Cancelling a subscription over a maintenance time is rediculous ....

Get over yourselves and spend some time away from the computer ...

If you ahve ever played an MMO before you have had to deal with this so this thread is meaningless.

And just to clarify, im not American, European or Aussie ... so im not U.S. biased.

Easy for you to say.

Ever find yourself in a situation where the only night you can play (1 of 3) is taken away with ill planned maintenance?

Or in a situation where you've had a stressful day and come home to relax for a few hours before going out again, only the servers are unavailable?

All this while you can clearly see other MMOs who handle maintenance in a way where no 1 or 2 regions suffer because of the rest.

We're adults who have jobs and families to tend to, not kids who can easily change our lives to suit some crappy maintenance schedule.

Easy for you to say.

Ever find yourself in a situation where the only night you can play (1 of 3) is taken away with ill planned maintenance?

Or in a situation where you've had a stressful day and come home to relax for a few hours before going out again, only the servers are unavailable?

All this while you can clearly see other MMOs who handle maintenance in a way where no 1 or 2 regions suffer because of the rest.

We're adults who have jobs and families to tend to, not kids who can easily change our lives to suit some crappy maintenance schedule.

Im 31 and have a 9 year old and a 10 month old. I work a job where I deploy overseas on a regular basis AWAY from my family and when im at home that job is stressful but fullfilling. I have sacrificed 2 years of my life to go overseas and I have a couple nights a week im able to play. Does this cause me to raise hell on the forums? NO.

Dont preach to me about being a child and able to change schedules etc ..

I preordered guild wars 2 today, it even looks like I will get a collectors edition like I missed out on due to the inept release here.

Other danger games are diablo 3 and believe it or not, phantasy star online 2. Although that one wont be out for a while.

Yes, if I want my sci-fi hit I may leave this game for pso. They even have laser swords.

You Bioware (although I suspect the Evil Ampire might have a greasy mitt in this fiasco) have until one of those 3 games is released to pull your act together before you lose me and likely many other aussies for good.

All said, the game itself is great fun, niggles aside (ever think what that speeder removal would look like to those new aussie players?), its been a blast. Do believe me when I say I would not have put up with this much otherwise.

Server down, 6pm Friday night. WTG Bioware - do you have a collective brain between you? Pull your heads out from wherever they currently are and realise that the US isn't the centre of the universe.

In all seriousness, cut us some slack here - apparently the reason our release was delayed for 2 months was so we could have "the best gaming experience possible". I realise downtime is inevitable, but 2 nights this week in prime time is simply ridiculous - including a Friday night to boot. Cheers...

Im 31 and have a 9 year old and a 10 month old. I work a job where I deploy overseas on a regular basis AWAY from my family and when im at home that job is stressful but fullfilling. I have sacrificed 2 years of my life to go overseas and I have a couple nights a week im able to play. Does this cause me to raise hell on the forums? NO.

Dont preach to me about being a child and able to change schedules etc ..

To each his / her own...

So I'm raising hell on the forums. If you don't like it, you're welcome to ignore me.

Pardon me if I pay for something and expect service to be exemplary.

And I never suggested that you were a child at any time.

Edited by Micksteroo

As mentioned by Blaine Christine (Senior Producer, Live Services) in March 2nd's Q&A, unfortunately at this time we're unable to run separate maintenance windows for different regions. All of The Old Republic's game servers are in the same service environment. The upside is that players have no restrictions on where they can play - something many players in Oceanic regions continue to benefit from. The downside is that we have to bring all servers down for maintenance at the same time. Our global maintenance time was chosen because it is when the lowest number of players - globally - are on the game servers.

That said, bringing servers down on a Friday night in any time zone is not something we do lightly. In this case, there were several server-side fixes we had to conduct (see the brief patch notes here) to ensure continued stability of the game. While I know no-one wants to lose gaming time on a Friday night, I'm sure you also do not want to endure random server crashes that could occur at any time and with no warning.

We always take unscheduled maintenances very seriously and weigh the pros and cons. In this case we felt it was important enough to conduct this maintenance ASAP. As soon as the decision was made, the maintenance timing was communicated.

Again I apologize for the inconvenience, but for the overall stability of the service, this maintenance was required.

As mentioned by Blaine Christine (Senior Producer, Live Services) in March 2nd's Q&A, unfortunately at this time we're unable to run separate maintenance windows for different regions. All of The Old Republic's game servers are in the same service environment.

And this was a terrible idea. You had 3 months of delays while implementing 'the best possible service' for the oceanic community and not only did you forget to code the transfers, you also didn't even think to set up the servers so proper timezone updates worked?

Very sloppy work. It's a good thing the work on the game itself was not this shortsighted and poorly executed or you would have barely anyone left.

Ty for at least replying our concerns here. Even if the answer was not the one we were hoping for. It would be nice to hear some reasoning other then "We decided to do it this way, wont say why, and have no current plans to change anything"

And this was a terrible idea. You had 3 months of delays while implementing 'the best possible service' for the oceanic community and not only did you forget to code the transfers, you also didn't even think to set up the servers so proper timezone updates worked?

Very sloppy work. It's a good thing the work on the game itself was not this shortsighted and poorly executed or you would have barely anyone left.

Ty for at least replying our concerns here. Even if the answer was not the one we were hoping for. It would be nice to hear some reasoning other then "We decided to do it this way, wont say why, and have no current plans to change anything"

The reason why they can not do region specific maintenance is very obvious.

Everyone that plays SWTOR launches the exact same launcher that connects to the exact same authentication and patch server.

The client for SWTOR is exactly the same for everyone it is not region locked.

So what this means is if they patch the game everyone downloads the patch the next time they login to the launcher. Meaning every server that we play on has to have the corresponding patch installed ready for players to connect to that server.

What would happen if they did region specific maintenance/patching is that the first region to get a patch would force everyone to download the patch. If your particular server had not gone through maintenance yet you would not be able to connect to it because of mismatched versions, so you would then have to wait until your server goes through maintenance.

Its the negative to giving your customers the ability to choose to play on any server they want, including those out of their region.

What would happen if they did region specific maintenance/patching is that the first region to get a patch would force everyone to download the patch. If your particular server had not gone through maintenance yet you would not be able to connect to it because of mismatched versions, so you would then have to wait until your server goes through maintenance. .

:eek: Because there is no other software that can handle connections from different client versions.. Sheesh, thats a really silly excuse as to why it cant be done.

Putting my derision aside, if they wanted to separate the maintenance schedule it could be done. If they wanted to have Aussies able to play in Prime time at the cost of some early morning gamers in the US/EU, it could be done.

They have chosen to shaft Aussies because of their own internal reasons and are using hollow excuses about why it is so!

Edited by Sindax

You would be incorrect.. To do maintenance on all the servers, they have to all be brought down..

Welcome to a world wide service in a connected society.. Nothing wierd about it..

I fail to see why these threads have to be created every Monday night.. Nobody likes maintenance.. But we all have to deal with it.. ;)

simply because it's rubbish to have the same downtime in the whole world. I know it's because otherwise you couldn't access servers from every area or some stuff like this.

Now guess what? I couldn't care less if I wasn't able to play on a server from the US or Australia. I'm European so I play on a European server. Period.

I know that there might be some who have friends on another continent and so on. But if you're really dedicated you can always overcome such prohibitions. I mean how did so many Australians manage to play the game before it came out in their area? And they could've easily fixed that by binding the game copy to an area. So when you go to origin you could've decided if you wanted an US, European or Oceanic version of the game and thus be commited but still able to play with your friends.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to log onto US Servers in WoW and it worked fine. But with this stupid policy they are really only pissing off a lot of customers. I mean I'm European so I don't get the full shaft, but as an Aussie it's unacceptable not being to play one day a week. I really hope you only have to pay 6/7 of the subscription.

Edited by Turkman

The reason why they can not do region specific maintenance is very obvious.

Everyone that plays SWTOR launches the exact same launcher that connects to the exact same authentication and patch server.

The client for SWTOR is exactly the same for everyone it is not region locked.

So what this means is if they patch the game everyone downloads the patch the next time they login to the launcher. Meaning every server that we play on has to have the corresponding patch installed ready for players to connect to that server.

What would happen if they did region specific maintenance/patching is that the first region to get a patch would force everyone to download the patch. If your particular server had not gone through maintenance yet you would not be able to connect to it because of mismatched versions, so you would then have to wait until your server goes through maintenance.

Its the negative to giving your customers the ability to choose to play on any server they want, including those out of their region.

Well I'm pretty sure they would be able to come up with a new launcher for each area and thus be able to separate the server maintenance times IF they really wanted to.

Of course it would take some time to fix this, but I really don't know why on earth they thought this system we have now would be a good idea in the first place. At least to me it was very obvious the first time the servers went down in the afternoon during christmas holidays that this system sucked. It took me 5 seconds to figure that out. And they knew about their system for months in advance.

As a European I can normally live with our downtimes as it's during average worktime. But let's not forget about all the schoolkids, students and unemployed that make up a good share of the playerbase in each MMO I've played up to now. And of course the players from the Oceanic area get totally screwed at least one time a week and, more often than not, even twice or thrice.

So they may not be able to do something about it for the time being but I really can't stress enough that some person in charge did a very poor job with this (and of course a lot of other technical and design flaws the game has)

Edited by Turkman

What would happen if they did region specific maintenance/patching is that the first region to get a patch would force everyone to download the patch. If your particular server had not gone through maintenance yet you would not be able to connect to it because of mismatched versions, so you would then have to wait until your server goes through maintenance..

Add a drop down menu to the launcher. US, EU, AU.

Launcher patches at appropriate times for the appropriate selection. Changing it prompts it to download up to date files for your new location selection. Or switch to them if they were previously downloaded.

That took me 1 minute to think of. I'm sure that if they actually tried, Bioware could easily come up with something better.

I shall refer you all to this.

You mean to remind us that the EULA won't require them to fix the problems we have?

Gee, maybe we should go to the forums to make our grievances known and try to get the issue raised with them that way.

After all, its in their best interest to improve the service so fewer people leave the game right?

Thanks for the reminder dude.

Add a drop down menu to the launcher. US, EU, AU.

Launcher patches at appropriate times for the appropriate selection. Changing it prompts it to download up to date files for your new location selection. Or switch to them if they were previously downloaded.

That took me 1 minute to think of. I'm sure that if they actually tried, Bioware could easily come up with something better.

The thing you are ignoring is that Bioware made the design decision to all all players to play on any server from any region. Your solution would make it so that their design has to be that of region locks, Which is not how they sold the game. They stated you can play on any server you want.

Now most of you here do not care about playing on servers from different regions, but other players do.

Personally I do not care if they region lock the game, I am just giving you the logical reason why it is this way currently.

Now the question is why can't they shift the maintenance time two hours later and start at 4 am CST. The only reason for this that I can think of is that if maintenance runs long (say 8 hours), the servers would be down until 12:00 CST which starts interfering with European play times after work?

The thing you are ignoring is that Bioware made the design decision to all all players to play on any server from any region. Your solution would make it so that their design has to be that of region locks, Which is not how they sold the game. They stated you can play on any server you want.

Now most of you here do not care about playing on servers from different regions, but other players do.

Personally I do not care if they region lock the game, I am just giving you the logical reason why it is this way currently.

But wouldn't a pull down menu where you can choose from the three current zones solve that problem? I totally understand that they shouldn't lock out players from the servers they are at now. But I think the solution he has presented solves this problem too.

But wouldn't a pull down menu where you can choose from the three current zones solve that problem? I totally understand that they shouldn't lock out players from the servers they are at now. But I think the solution he has presented solves this problem too.

Also if people wanted to play on another server region they could just install the game twice or more (same as with test server) and simply patch that on a different schedule.

Problem solved - give us separate maintenance times :)

Edited by lollie

The thing you are ignoring is what I wrote.

What part of a drop down menu to swap between versions strikes you as a region lock? The inconvenience of reloading the launcher to change to a different one?