F2P restrictions.

Cordarn

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AND.. no you are not supposed to link other MMO forum threads. And especially not a dead link for a thread that clearly was trolling in the other forum. That's called cross trolling. Even mmorpg frowns on it in their forum.

But hey.. now that it no longer exists, maybe you will stop linking it, and actually contribute to the discussion if you are going to post, eh? :)

It wasn't trolling, Blizzard is considering to put WoW F2P and it was a concerned player saying his opinion on the matter.

I always contribute, just because you personally don't see it as doesn't mean it isn't.

Cross trolling isnt even a real thing. Im pretty sure you just made that term up.

No, it's real. But in order to prove it to you.. I would have to do it (to bring in proof) and I'm not going to do that.

I'm sure you are a regular over at mmorpg. If so.. you know exactly what it means and that even their mods are not tolerant of it.

No, it's real. But in order to prove it to you.. I would have to do it (to bring in proof) and I'm not going to do that.

I'm sure you are a regular over at mmorpg. If so.. you know exactly what it means and that even their mods are not tolerant of it.

I dont visit that website, I visited once and it looked pretty shoddy. So i've not returned. Are they cool there?

Also, cross trolling isnt in urban dictionary yet(since in such matters this would be the only verifiable sorce for such info). Better go add it.

I don't really understand this whole thing.

BW and EA are businesses. They are trying to make money. The point of F2P is to lure you in so that you become a subscriber, or at least preferred status. They don't want you to enjoy F2P as a long-term choice. Why would they?

Businesses do not give you stuff for free. That's called a charity and I don't think EA are registered for non-for-profit status.

Try this. Go into a shop and ask them what you can get for $0. Then ask them what you can get for $5. Then ask them what you can get for $15 every month. I think you will find that there are differences in what is available. You'll also find that $15 doesn't buy very much these days and the subscription is cheap.

Except these guys go into a music store and ask for something for free. The person behind the counter says well, you can listen to some CD samples here for free but really it's intended for buyers who want a sample first. Our forum heroes then go on and listen to some CDs and start complaining about the head phones and the seat not being comfortable enough and proceed to ask if they can get a free cup of coffee....

And after I write this little analogy they probably still don't see the problem. Oh well.

I dont visit that website, I visited once and it looked pretty shoddy. So i've not returned. Are they cool there?

Also, cross trolling isnt in urban dictionary yet(since in such matters this would be the only verifiable sorce for such info). Better go add it.

I like you.

All the responses here from those calling F2P 'beggars' need to have a 7 day ban. Some people can/not afford even a small amount of money, some are kids whose parents may not have enough money to spend on things like this.

Sorry, but this argument just doesn't fly. I've encountered it many times in different ways, and it continues to baffle me. Playing a particular game, even a Star Wars game, is not a basic human right. Entertainment might be - but people have managed to find ways to amuse themselves long before computers existed. There are even completely free computer games, so many that you could spend a lifetime playing them all. This one just isn't one of them.

Another part of that thread was that you end up paying more for the F2P games than P2P.

No ****, sherlock. Why do you think F2P is so popular these days. It's not because companies are given away free games, that's for sure.

Also going to tell EA (or any publisher) "You should make less money!" is going to fall on deafears. For obvious reasons.

But in return, the few that pay $100 can support the one that wont pay $15. And we all profit. Yet somehow people still f2p and the system as inferior. Without it, TOR wouldn't have grown like it has now, we'd have less new content. Was that what you would like?

It is not a free game, nor is it a public service of some sort. It is free to play at a very basic level so that if you enjoy the game you will spend money either by subscribing or buying perks.

EA/Bioware is not a charity, it is a publicly traded company that is in business to make money. IMO, making the game really pleasant to play as a free player wouldn't help fund the game nor make EA/Bioware money.

So many F2P clients do not understand this. They are of the entitlement mindset that everything should just be free.

You dont pay for the game itself.

You're allowed to play levels1-50 for free, albeit with limited XP leveling.

In levels 1-50 you have access to pretty much all the same basic abilities and options that a sub has, though some of those are earned later or cost more, etc.,

F2P may not have access to new content right away, but guess what?! That's why people subscribe. To have content that they are PAYING for. Sometimes that means instant access to certain things or perhaps They are the ones really supporting the content and the people that provide it. You may not like that, but it's the truth. It's only 50 cents a day to subscribe. That's roughly 15 dollars a month, less if you subscribe to more than 1 month at a time.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't subscribe, you really don't have a voice when it comes to complaining about things working/not working. Just my two cents.

The only restriction I don't think *needs* changing, but would be a nice change, is the credit cap for Preferred ( not F2P ) players.

I realize credit farmers/sellers are a major reason for these credit cap restriction.

What I would propose is a loyalty reward as a way for Preferred to remove their credit caps.

For instance, people like myself who pre-ordered the game ( CE in my case ), and were here through early release/launch. It's pretty damn obvious after 2 years of an account being active with no issues by now we're not goldfarmers/sellers AND we've spent a good amount of money ($200 just for the damned pre-order, not counting 3 months of paid time to go with it and the occasional resub from time to time over the past 2 years in my case).

And for new Preferred players, a set time from the time you become Preferred from F2P ( 6 months-1year ) should be more than enough deterrent for credit farmers/sellers. And I don't mean they spent $5 to become preferred, than just parked the account for 6 months- 1 year, but it has to have been actively used. Maybe a certain amount of timein that 6 month-1year period or something. This is all easily checkable with EAware's current system.

The true F2P players should have the credit cap unchanged, of course.

Edited by Zorvan

Except these guys go into a music store and ask for something for free. The person behind the counter says well, you can listen to some CD samples here for free but really it's intended for buyers who want a sample first. Our forum heroes then go on and listen to some CDs and start complaining about the head phones and the seat not being comfortable enough and proceed to ask if they can get a free cup of coffee....

And after I write this little analogy they probably still don't see the problem. Oh well.

I don't know about others, but me, I'd like it to be sorta like... itunes or amazon or whatever music service. you know where you can buy a whole album.. or you can buy individual songs. right now, you can buy some individual songs but not others. and we're not even talking exclusive extras, just basic songs from the album.

seriously, is purchasable unlock to be able to open quest reward boxes is really such an unreasonable request? quest rewards. still have to buy access to. but nooo, subscription is the only payment model that matters, there can be no inbetween!

you can go into a restaurant and buy a combo meal, or you can design your own. you can go into a store and buy a suit, or you can buy jacket and pants separately. you can buy individual songs or full albums. you can go on steam and buy game of the year edition or you can buy the game and dlc's individually (and only buy the ones you want). SWTOR almost has this. almost. it just HAS to cling to certain restrictions and... why exactly? if you have to buy unlock, its NOT free. you are not freeloading. you are NOT asking for something for nothing. is it becasue those unlocks are sold for in game cash by other players? what exactly is wrong with that??? bioware still gets money, players who are selling unlocks get to make in game credits with minimum of effort and people willing to put in effort into making in game credits with all the restrictions (or people who have friends, or people who's been subscribing for a while and made enough credits) - get to have some extra fun. and everyone wins.

@ Zorvan. escrow unlocks.

To me, a better equivalent analogy would be a restaurant that offers you an "all you can eat" price and an "a la carte price" for the same item selections. Freemium MMO business models most closely follow this approach. You can pay one price and have access to it all, or you can just buy the items you actually want. And the approach actually serves different customers quite well. It also gives the customer more control over how they spend their money. Of course the "all you can eat" model makes more sense to the customer that wants to taste everything and save some money in the process.

And the Cartel Market (other then unlocks) is the desert tray for the most part. And for both all you can eat and a la carte, desert is extra. :)

I'll take your analogy. it does work. I just think that there are certain items that should be on a la carte menu... that aren't at the moment. I shouldn't have to resort to "all you can eat" price instead of buying only dishes I want, just to get access to salt and pepper (and ability to accept and open quest rewards while leveling is pretty much salt and pepper, IMO).

Edited by Jeweledleah

@ Zorvan. escrow unlocks.

You know, those would be real great if the game actually showed you how much you have in escrow. Every cred you earn over the 350k cap goes into escrow, but there is no way to see what your balance in escrow is. Hmm, do I have enough in escrow to need the 600k unlock? The 150k unlock?

Edited by Zorvan

You know, those would be real great if the game actually showed you how much you have in escrow. Every cred you earn over the 350k cap goes into escrow, but there is no way to see what your balance in escrow is. Hmm, do I have enough in escrow to need the 600k unlock? The 150k unlock?

Post it in the Suggestion box as well - http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349 that is a good suggestion

Edit - or not if it exists already per below ;)

Edited by OwenBrooks

Except it's shown ingame already, at the comms screen... :rolleyes:

Funny, because it was never there when I was preferred up to last month when I resubbed. I looked on the currency tab, first place I looked. You know, it was easy logic. Not there.

I'll check next time I go down to preferred, and if it's not there, I'll /bug it I guess.

Edited by Zorvan

Everyone is missing the point of what I said. Its really very simple. Comparing it to Cell phones, restaurants, etc isn't the correct way of looking at it.

MMOs are about having lots of people online at the same time, so EVERYONE can experience what the game has to offer. With Restaurants that isn't the case. You don't need lots of people to experience the food, you don't need lots of people to help you chew through the days special.

In an MMO, players are the ones who make or break a game. Sure, keep the (imo stupid) limitations on Cargo bays(and this has even changed for subs...*** Bioware?), quickslot bars etc - but grant unlimited access to Warzones, Flashpoints and Operations.

This will benefit EVERYONE, reduce wait times and probably encourage more people to spend a couple of quid on stuff.

Life is full of the have/nots and I firmly believe that gaming should never be the same. And its about time some of you lot here got off your high horses and saw the bigger picture.

Everyone is missing the point of what I said. Its really very simple. .

This - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/693/feature/7478/F2P-Isnt-a-Charity.html

Quoted - However, before you do that, try and take a step back and look at the whole situation and understand that these games are still a business in the end and they would not exist or be available for free if there were no way to actually make a profit on them.

Edited by OwenBrooks

Yeah, now there is an example of an actual stupid restriction. Bugs affect everyone, subs included. More people report bugs, more likely that bugs get fixed.

That's why, if pref, I send mails with bug reports. Forces them to read them to instead of auto-"Send to QA". Even got a few personal responses that way :)

This - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/693/feature/7478/F2P-Isnt-a-Charity.html

Quoted - However, before you do that, try and take a step back and look at the whole situation and understand that these games are still a business in the end and they would not exist or be available for free if there were no way to actually make a profit on them.

i cant keep repeating myself....... i refer you to my 'high horse' quote.

The fact that ALL the EU servers are still light(when most used to be standard around this time of day) just reinforces my argument. Yes it's a business but for those who pay a sub, with empty servers, because of F2P restrictions these players will wait until later to come online.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't subscribe, you really don't have a voice when it comes to complaining about things working/not working. Just my two cents.

You really should tone the elitism down a notch. You realize the "f2P" people bring more revenue to this game than subs, right? You realize those F2P people saved this game so you could play it and post how "lowly" those same F2P people are on these forums?

If we want to to decide the hierarchy of importance simply from revenue and actual contribution to this games survival, subs would be the ones with no say following your little philosophy. Something to chew on, perhaps. Subs actually get more for less in the long term, yet somehow think they're the top of the food chain. Ask me, it's some subs who seem to show more "entitlement" than those lowly F2P players.

There is no high horse except the one you are on about

Life is full of the have/nots and I firmly believe that gaming should never be the same..

This is where you get derailed, if your expecting that with this game, move along this isn't the game your looking for.

Feel free to check server loads and pick a server that is good for you - http://www.torstatus.net/

Edit - post how "lowly" those same F2P people are on these forums?

I also don't think that at all , if people want to have a F2P account and pay for the unlocks or sub that is there choice and I see nothing wrong with that.

Edited by OwenBrooks

Edit - post how "lowly" those same F2P people are on these forums?

I also don't think that at all , if people want to have a F2P account and pay for the unlocks or sub that is there choice and I see nothing wrong with that.

Wasn't aimed at you.