Alenating new players....

I want to bring up a problem i have with the state of the community in the game, specifically dealing with flash points and group finder. It seems that as soon as group finder was introduced two things immediately happened: 1) it became the norm for a flashpoint run to be a speed run skipping everything just to get to the end; and 2) we all stopped talking to each other. Now at first I thought this was awesome! I was almost full rakata on one toon and partial tionese on the other and all I really wanted out of endgame flash points was the black hole commendations and the gear tokens that dropped of the final boss. This men i would get what i wanted much faster and i didn't need to wast time trying to get a group together. Now I'm and imp, all the toons i have leveled to 50 so far have been imps, but i decided to level a Jedi just recently and have been doing some flash points and have realized that alot of the time the same thing happens in regular flash points as hard mod flash points, tho to a lesser extent, but it was not till i ran Taral V for the first time that i realized that this attitude will just turn new players off of doing flash points. The experiance of being the only person in a group who has never run the flashpoint while everyone else is running past everything with no explanation as to what the hell was going on was just not any fun at all.

The only solution to this problem i see, (short of this rant having the miraculous effect of changing the entire SWToR comunity :rolleyes:), would be perhaps to have an option in the group finder if we want a speed run or not and group with like minded players. Sometimes I would not mind fighting all the bosses in a flash point, other times I just want to get my dailies done.

Edited by DarthMaero

Group finder became the norm because of the BH comms, and since people who want them are grinding stuff to get raidgear, you will see people want do finish those flahspoints asap. It is only a natural consequence of the Bioware design.

ps. You can still try to put together a group with like-minded people and then GF queue the whole team at once.

Edited by Karkais

And this is why at Launch Bioware did not want to have a Group finder, WoW was the same way, with the way that you can buy raid gear with comms from doing flash points it becomes the only reason most people both to run the flashpoint. and on my geared out 50s I only really do the same thing, only running flashpoints for comms once a day

i see your point op and agree that such runs are not always enjoyable ( well at least for me they are not) there are some solutions that can be put into future hm and normal fp mechanics to eliminate or deter skipping. as far as racing through the fp i am not sure what can be done.

it is difficult to type and run to keep up at the same time so it is only natural not to say too much while doing so. perhaps a in game voice chat would help if done properly and with all of the ops in group finder i think it would be a good idea anyways. an other mmo i played had one put in years ago and it works very well. actually it had fewer problems than a few peoples ts and vents that i have been on. an other option would be to make them shorter with less content so it can be completed in a hour when the group is of proper level and appropriate gear for them.

skipping can be done by having each boss be a "bonus type" part of the quest where each boss has one or two coms and at the end when the group either disbands or quits you can turn it in and get the rewarded coms for what you have done up to. much like how some of the bonus quests are done now. you can give addition one or two for actual completion of the zone. perhaps having trash actually having good drops also might help.

the fp hms now and for some time have been nothing more than a race for the bh coms. it is more of a ends than a means. also the way some players skip content some are just plain races of stupidity. however f2p people will have to buy passes to do these. just think how many will be pissed having to race through one and not enjoy their paid experience. they wont buy many more nor want to sub. i haven't done a non guild lower level fp after group finder came out so i cant comment on those.

yes op i can see your point.

And this is why at Launch Bioware did not want to have a Group finder, WoW was the same way, with the way that you can buy raid gear with comms from doing flash points it becomes the only reason most people both to run the flashpoint. and on my geared out 50s I only really do the same thing, only running flashpoints for comms once a day

The problem is the system to grind for gear, not group finder in itself. But this cannot be changed anymore. Its the way the whole game has been designed.

Edited by Karkais

The problem is the system to grind for gear, not group finder in itself. But this cannot be changed anymore. Its the way the whole game has been designed.

Not really, gearing system and endgame comms from group finder are here to increase pool of players willing to use it. Without rewards, majority of players wouldn't waste their time with random pugs. Before group finder people were propeled by daily/weekly quests, after by GF rewards.

Group finder is main cause for apathetic players that only want to finish FP. Before, they had to make some effort, talk to people, and actually be friendly so other people want to group with them again. Now, all people have to do is press 2 buttons, and not be an *** to avoid getting on ignore lists.

But then, group finder did improve playing eperience(we could argue if it couldn't be done other way, like global LFG channel, but it's pointless), so it's not like it was bad move. Separate queue for 'normal' runs proposition is given quite often, and always countered by fact that waiting times would make all people forced to use only one of them anyway. Personally, I think option to joing both or only one of queues couldn't hurt. If 'normal'(slow) queue wouldn't be getting many pops, it would be because of people, and there is almost nothing BW can do about it, but at least there would be an option.

Not really, gearing system and endgame comms from group finder are here to increase pool of players willing to use it. Without rewards, majority of players wouldn't waste their time with random pugs. Before group finder people were propeled by daily/weekly quests, after by GF rewards.

Group finder is main cause for apathetic players that only want to finish FP.

Those people already exist. They would just get a group the old-fashioned way and behave the same without group finder.

If you give people a goal, then there are those who want to reach it more than others. In a sandbox game however, people invent their own goals.

Edited by Karkais

I want to bring up a problem i have with the state of the community in the game, specifically dealing with flash points and group finder. It seems that as soon as group finder was introduced two things immediately happened: 1) it became the norm for a flashpoint run to be a speed run skipping everything just to get to the end; and 2) we all stopped talking to each other. Now at first I thought this was awesome! I was almost full rakata on one toon and partial tionese on the other and all I really wanted out of endgame flash points was the black hole commendations and the gear tokens that dropped of the final boss. This men i would get what i wanted much faster and i didn't need to wast time trying to get a group together. Now I'm and imp, all the toons i have leveled to 50 so far have been imps, but i decided to level a Jedi just recently and have been doing some flash points and have realized that alot of the time the same thing happens in regular flash points as hard mod flash points, tho to a lesser extent, but it was not till i ran Taral V for the first time that i realized that this attitude will just turn new players off of doing flash points. The experiance of being the only person in a group who has never run the flashpoint while everyone else is running past everything with no explanation as to what the hell was going on was just not any fun at all.

The only solution to this problem i see, (short of this rant having the miraculous effect of changing the entire SWToR comunity :rolleyes:), would be perhaps to have an option in the group finder if we want a speed run or not and group with like minded players. Sometimes I would not mind fighting all the bosses in a flash point, other times I just want to get my dailies done.

I would like to point out that a little dialogue solves a lot of problems. Those new players should point out right at the start that they are new to the specific flashpoint HM and want to kill all the bosses. At this point it is the group's responsibility to help this new player - provided he has brought the bare minimums (in terms of gear and knowledge of class) necessary for the said flashpoint. The option to kill everything can be discussed, if it's rejected even so it is for the benefit of the new player to continue. Remember that most FP drops are only minor upgrades. The biggest and most efficent upgrades for new 50's are from BH Vendors. Getting Black Hole commendations as fast as possible in this regard helps new players as well.

I understand what the OP is saying... however, there is not a quick fix to the problem. The good news however is that there is a "work around": join a active PvE guild that places a emphasis on game play, not loot and comms. No, these guilds are not easy to find, but once you do the player will be able to learn, understand, and enjoy each FP experience.

Seeing as none of you really read OP's post i'll comment on it. I had the same situation as you in the same place Taral V. However i had a different experience I had never run it neither had the tank (we were both IMP's lvling Pub's) And the tank pulled everything in there including bonus bosses. It took forever, honestly hour and 10-15 mins to complete(no wipes), however i did gain almost a lvl and a half ( I have all the FP bonus XP from legacy). Was enjoyable, but the next few times it was complete 360. The tank and a DPS just skipping everything they could get around. Got about half the xp and wasn't really happy with the time invested, it took nearly an hour. I spoke and and said something to the 2 skippers. "Why you guys skipping everything" response "This place is too long its not worth it" my response "Why skip stuff while lvling your missing out on the best XP by skipping trash in FP, @ 50 i'd be right behind you skipping wouldn't say a word." tank told me too bad and kept on going. So i just started pulling everything 3,4,5 mobs at once... I am the healer lol... the tank would turn back and kill it so in the end i guess i won.

Like i said I am all for skipping trash at 50 in HM FP's but while lvling there is no sense in skipping it, esp if your with someone like me who spent a couple 100k to get all the bonus XP in there.

Seeing as none of you really read OP's post i'll comment on it. I had the same situation as you in the same place Taral V. However i had a different experience I had never run it neither had the tank (we were both IMP's lvling Pub's) And the tank pulled everything in there including bonus bosses. It took forever, honestly hour and 10-15 mins to complete(no wipes), however i did gain almost a lvl and a half ( I have all the FP bonus XP from legacy). Was enjoyable, but the next few times it was complete 360. The tank and a DPS just skipping everything they could get around. Got about half the xp and wasn't really happy with the time invested, it took nearly an hour. I spoke and and said something to the 2 skippers. "Why you guys skipping everything" response "This place is too long its not worth it" my response "Why skip stuff while lvling your missing out on the best XP by skipping trash in FP, @ 50 i'd be right behind you skipping wouldn't say a word." tank told me too bad and kept on going. So i just started pulling everything 3,4,5 mobs at once... I am the healer lol... the tank would turn back and kill it so in the end i guess i won.

Like i said I am all for skipping trash at 50 in HM FP's but while lvling there is no sense in skipping it, esp if your with someone like me who spent a couple 100k to get all the bonus XP in there.

Just because you think we haven't addressed his point doesn't mean we didn't read his message, get over yourself.

I would like to point out that a little dialogue solves a lot of problems. Those new players should point out right at the start that they are new to the specific flashpoint HM and want to kill all the bosses. At this point it is the group's responsibility to help this new player - provided he has brought the bare minimums (in terms of gear and knowledge of class) necessary for the said flashpoint. The option to kill everything can be discussed, if it's rejected even so it is for the benefit of the new player to continue. Remember that most FP drops are only minor upgrades. The biggest and most efficent upgrades for new 50's are from BH Vendors. Getting Black Hole commendations as fast as possible in this regard helps new players as well.

Seeing as you here you commented on LVL 50 HM FP, pretty sure it was safe to assume you didn't read it. He is not ************ about lvl 50 at all he's annoyed that on a lvl 34 FP NORMAL LVLING MODE that people are skipping all trash and being jerks about watching the video's. Wasn't trying to be a D*ck before but i can be now if you'd rather it like that.

Seeing as you here you commented on LVL 50 HM FP, pretty sure it was safe to assume you didn't read it. He is not ************ about lvl 50 at all he's annoyed that on a lvl 34 FP NORMAL LVLING MODE that people are skipping all trash and being jerks about watching the video's. Wasn't trying to be a D*ck before but i can be now if you'd rather it like that.

Before Level 50 this phenomena is seldom seen. I am leveling a Commando myself and I have done full clears everytime I joined flashpoints with no one in the group objecting, all participating. This issue is much more prevalent at level 50.

I just did Taral V for the first time this weekend. My infrequently played Sage hit the mid-30s, and I realized that I could do flashpoints I'd never seen before, so I got excited and added myself to groupfinder. My group was slightly overlevel for the instance, and though they admitted surprise that I'd never done it before, they were cheerful and helpful about showing me the ropes. We skipped nothing. We watched dialogue scenes. We did every single bonus. It was an excellent experience and I leveled enough to be able to queue for Maelstrom Prison. Despite never having done that one either, I had an identically positive first experience with the flashpoint with an entirely different party obtained through the groupfinder. (Thank you, Ebon Hawk mid-level Republic-side players.)

However, on my 50, I generally go into groupfinder HM flashpoints with a different goal. I am not there to immerse myself in the story (usually, I enjoyed the story at some point earlier, leveling up). I am not there to get XP. I am interested in maximizing the fun I get out of the flashpoint and in getting my BH coms. I am delighted to omit pulls that are boring. However, I like playing the game, and I expect some actual playing to happen as we run through the flashpoint. (And I am willing to be polite and patient with those who are learning it all for the first time.)

If I have already gotten my BH coms for the day, then I simply want to maximize the fun I get from the flashpoint. On Shien, we had a channel called LFG50, where people would put together groups before the groupfinder and before BH coms. And it got used plenty. You could be more picky about who you grouped with, though, and what sort of style of play you were going for.

Groupfinder makes it easier and increases the rewards, but it also limits your ability to dictate how the group will run the instance. If you want to be able to demand this (less skipping, more story, whatever), you need to arrange the group outside of groupfinder. Otherwise, you take your chances.

There are plenty of people out there who are perfectly happy to run things the way you like. Sometimes you get lucky and find them in groupfinder. Sometimes you just have to manually arrange a group. In this case, effort is rewarded.

I think a big factor is the lack of an integrated VOIP. With-out an Integrated Voip system players can't really communicate with each other on a lvl that helps establish friendships, build strategies, settle arguments and alleviate frustrations.

When I'm communicating with other players via chat box it just feels like I'm talking to a robot. I don't really have any reason to meet up with that guy again because he's just like every other person I've spoken with in the chat box(THEIR ARE EXCEPTIONS). I know i'm gonna catch some **** for saying this but, I really wish they would implement a VOIP system just like the X-BOX Live VOIP SYSTEM. X-BOX Live VOIP system works really good and set-up is super easy. I know their's TS, Vent and a bunch of others but, this solutions comes with it's own problems.

(I'm not saying we should get rid of Chat box. I know alot of hearing impaired people play this game and need that chat box. Their no reason we couldn't have both.)

• 2 weeks later...

And that's os just one of the things that made this game a failure