Same sex romance.

Cfullard

Am I to understand that this is not an option at all? Is this going to be implemented anytime soon? I'm curious because you can't say that it's because this game is PG-13, you're cutting peoples heads off in some of the quests for crying out loud.

I heard a rumor that they WERE considering this but i'd like someone to give a link before I go saying this or looking forward to it.

we have nothing to link since the forums were wiped, but we had a slew of 1000 page threads on the topic when it was revealed they were not in.

Devs stepped up, tho, and promised they would be in soon after launch.

We're waiting.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to burst your bubble there chief, but um, you folks seem to be in the minority here, I have just about every person that feels a need to expound their PRIVATE bedroom habits on ignore and it seems they're on the slim side in regards to the LGBT crew

Do yourselves a favor: Keep it to yourselves and within the confides of your groups, this game is for everyone, not just the folks who feel the need to shout to the masses what it is they get up to at night ^-^

hate to burst yours in return but its been promised and is on the way. This game is indeed for everyone, and not just for heterosexuals.

To the posters talking about how the game was made for a "mass audience" and how people wanting same-sex romance shouldn't so be sensitive or try to make the game a political statement:

Hush.

1. Both Heterosexuals and Homosexuals have asked for same-sex romance options.

2. It isn't fair to create heterosexual romance options and exclude others.

3. Asking for same-sex romance options is not similar to demanding real-life religions to be placed into the game.

To the posters talking about how the game was made for a "mass audience" and how people wanting same-sex romance shouldn't so be sensitive or try to make the game a political statement:

Hush.

1. Both Heterosexuals and Homosexuals have asked for same-sex romance options.

2. It isn't fair to create heterosexual romance options and exclude others.

3. Asking for same-sex romance options is not similar to demanding real-life religions to be placed into the game.

Much sanity points for you. You win the internets! :D

I dont really get whats the fuzz about. Homosexuals are still a minority but still its fair to them (not to mention that hetero asked for it aswell) that they implement this.

It doesnt hurt anyone anyways. U always have the right to choose if you want to start it or not.

And by the way as long there is not explicit sex on it, i think kids get worse influences by killing and dismembering bugs and humanoids in an enviroment full of words such WAR & VIOLENCE. Not to mention several dark side options that i have encountered.

But hey thats ok for your kid, a natural act of (usually) love its not, thats baaaaad.

I will never understand this kind of things...

I love how people need to feel as if a game these days needs to be a reflection of their own life. Why someone would keep themselves from advancing in a game due to the fact they cannot get 'you know what' with whoever they wish is immature, I am not against the addition, but does this article really need to exist? It will happen, it just needs time and patience...:confused:

This is a game. Not a place for political statements.

The game was designed for mass audiences.

To imply that there should be same sex relationships or it's somehow discriminatory, would then lead to problems like "Why aren't there any Muslim holy sites I can make my character Pray to", "Why are there no Bibles", "Why can't I marry my droid", "Why can't I do more explicit things with my companions", etc.

If there ever is same sex relationships implemented my accounts will be cancelled.

Not because I have a problem with same sex marriage, relationships, etc. but because My children play this game and I do not need a form of entertainment to become that explicit about sexual relationships they cannot comprehend at their age.

I sincerely hope that everyone can find what they like in the game but I seriously doubt that anyone is playing this game specifically so they can have a relationship between characters be they LBGT or not.

I like how you are ok with romance so long as it is heterosexual.

You might as well cancel your subscription to reality, as well. Secondly, this is a teen rated game. If your children are too young to meet the ESRB rating they honestly shouldn't be playing if you are so concerned about them being 'exposed'. Seriously, same sex relationships they cant comprehend? If they can comprehend heterosexual relationships they can comprehend homosexual relationships. If they cannot comprehend one, they cannot comprehend the other. There is no two ways about it. Either be mad about the whole shebang or do not be mad at all.

If your children are honestly so young that they need to be shielded from the horrors of homosexuality, they should not be playing. Believe it or not, homosexuals exist in real life. They are in TV, movies, books, music, and even in the schools. Seriously.

You may as well cut your losses and unsub from TOR and reality now.

I love this:

Torture? Perfectly fine for my children.

Beheading? Totally fine.

One night stands with strange members of the opposite sex? Kosher.

Thievery? Totally legit.

Genocide? Sure

Extortion? Yep!

Same Sex Relations? MY CHILDREN DO NOT NEED TO BE CONFUSED BY THIS!

P.S - Homosexuals exist in Star Wars, there are two gay mandalorians who are married. Islam does not exist in Star Wars nor does the bible.

Whats better is you cannot even get a same-sex relationship without pursuing it so in the end what you are afraid of is that your children will be interested in the same sex. Lol.

Edited by Viera

I know your pain. I've done like nothing in ToR since finding out, since I'm wary of playing a character I'll have to re-roll when I can flirt with Kira...

pretty sure this quote means it will be new characters, not existing ones and I doubt they will restrict certain classes from getting them, so i would just play the class you like until those companions are finally available for recruitment.

Originally Posted by StephenReid

Official statement follows:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

and even if by some chance they decide to "expand" existing companions (not my preferred option but, considering, its bioware - its not impossible), I doubt they would punish existing players by locking them out of that opportunity.

P.S. Gaider said that all romansable companions with exception of Sebastian were in fact bi, not merely Hawke sexual. they just made it vague enough so that if people wanted to pretend otherwise - they could.

Edited by Jeweledleah

pretty sure this quote means it will be new characters, not existing ones and I doubt they will restrict certain classes from getting them, so i would just play the class you like until those companions are finally available for recruitment.

and even if by some chance they decide to "expand" existing companions (not my preferred option but, considering, its bioware - its not impossible), I doubt they would punish existing players by locking them out of that opportunity.

P.S. Gaider said that all romansable companions with exception of Sebastian were in fact bi, not merely Hawke sexual. they just made it vague enough so that if people wanted to pretend otherwise - they could.

I'm still iffy and without BioWare giving an official response, I'm just playing other classes until it is patched in. :p

Though I am also still trying to really decide on a server too...

Hate to burst your bubble there chief, but um, you folks seem to be in the minority here, I have just about every person that feels a need to expound their PRIVATE bedroom habits on ignore and it seems they're on the slim side in regards to the LGBT crew

Do yourselves a favor: Keep it to yourselves and within the confides of your groups, this game is for everyone, not just the folks who feel the need to shout to the masses what it is they get up to at night ^-^

The exact same argument can be made against heterosexual romances. Also, your ignorance of the extensive gay gamer popular makes your opinion on this issue even more obsolete. Gay gamers don't shout anything more than heterosexual gamers do, but my guess is any time some guy says "Wow this Twilek chick is hawt!!" in gen chat, you don't blink an eye--it's called homophobia in case you were wondering.

...and the next time you want to patronize someone by calling them "chief", you may want to check to make sure you aren't speaking to someone clearly more educated, informed and intelligent than you.

As stated, Bioware fully intends to include GLBT gamers in their design, but I don't see them catering to ignorant, small minded bigots like you in the same way, so best to cancel your account now and save yourself the trouble of having to put 'all them homosexual folk' on ignore.

Edited by Zydrate

This thread is incredible. 2% of the entire population piss and moan about having homosexual relationships in a game.

Give me a break and let’s step into reality. Why can’t everyone just play the game without bringing their lifestyle choices into anything? Why do we have to make any statements, points to reflect our current real life social activity? Why don’t you keep your thoughts and activities in the bedroom private? I do not care if you are straight, gay, and bi. It’s none of my business and my life is none of yours. My point; this is a game keep it that way.

Seriously what a big deal about this anyway. If you dont like to have romance with same sex then dont chose that companion or dont put effort to develop your relationship with them. Funny how you guys try to forbid s.o doing something because you believe it's bad. Just leave them alone, it's not like they force you to be like them

Hey, whatever gets your jollies off, it's the whole announcing shtick that's going to split this community in half and that's something I and a great many others (including the dev team) would rather NOT happen ^-^

The companion "Doc" can't go a single sentence without hitting on my female JK. Thoughts?

How rediclous, bioware has always been pro-same sex but for some STRANGE reason they can't have it in their games now? SOUNDS LIKE EA DOESN'T WANT ANYTHING TOO CONTROVERSIAL :eek::eek:. /facepalm

Mass Effect 1 and 2 say hi. Oh, and Dragon Age too.

Edited by Bgiffo

The funniest part of all this is that I'm sure that 90% of the people asking for same-sex romances are not homosexual at all.

Most of them are guys who just fantasize on seeing lesbian sex scenes. A lot of people I know or see on forums who played same-sex romances in ME or Dragon age are heterosexuals...

I understand that we add same-sex content for homosexuals because it would be fair for them, but adding that content for heterosexuals just just fantasize on the thing... well... go and buy a magazine or something... and stop screaming and making all this fuzz about that, pretending it's to defend to rights of the homosexuals.

(I'm not targeting anyone in particular here in this thread).

this game is for everyone,

exactly our point...

oh but you really mean it's for everyone just like you...

and frankly I get tired of having hetro sex shoved down my throat 24hrs a day, I think you people really need to keep it to yourselves...

maybe they just shouldn't have romantic relationships of any kind.. sounds fair to me..

This is a game. Not a place for political statements.

The game was designed for mass audiences.

To imply that there should be same sex relationships or it's somehow discriminatory, would then lead to problems like "Why aren't there any Muslim holy sites I can make my character Pray to", "Why are there no Bibles", "Why can't I marry my droid", "Why can't I do more explicit things with my companions", etc.

If there ever is same sex relationships implemented my accounts will be cancelled.

Not because I have a problem with same sex marriage, relationships, etc. but because My children play this game and I do not need a form of entertainment to become that explicit about sexual relationships they cannot comprehend at their age.

I sincerely hope that everyone can find what they like in the game but I seriously doubt that anyone is playing this game specifically so they can have a relationship between characters be they LBGT or not.

Actually its quite clear that you DO have a problem with it, I mean if you just didn't care about same sex romances you wouldn't even bothered to have posted and just would have read the title and passed over it.

It is not the same as a religion, a religion is developed based on specific era's and regions. On earth we have these specific religions because of the era's that they were created, in Star wars, we have "The Force." which many different religions have popped up in order to better explain it.

Back on topic, same sex relationships are not society based, as they happen in every single society, including animal societies.

People play games for different reasons, in this game people are mostly playing it for the storyline, in which the storyline has a very predominant theme of romance amongst all classes and genders.

Also since this is confirmed as being part of the game eventually, I suggest you cancel your account now and save your self the money of how many months you would have payed for the game, either that or "see you at launch" of SGRA's...

The funniest part of all this is that I'm sure that 90% of the people asking for same-sex romances are not homosexual at all.

Most of them are guys who just fantasize on seeing lesbian sex scenes. A lot of people I know or see on forums who played same-sex romances in ME or Dragon age are heterosexuals...

I understand that we add same-sex content for homosexuals because it would be fair for them, but adding that content for heterosexuals just just fantasize on the thing... well... go and buy a magazine or something... and stop screaming and making all this fuzz about that, pretending it's to defend to rights of the homosexuals.

Yea, I also know of a very strong population of females that play male / male relationships in Bioware games. Its more than just for the LBGT community.

Why is this less acceptable than them fantasizing about the heterosexual content?

This thread bothers me so much. On one hand you have people equating homosexuality with sex itself, as if gay people are somehow an emotional subspecies who can't possibly have any interest in romance beyond the bedroom. Then on the other hand, you have people acting like the slightest glimpse of a gay romance option would cause them severe emotional distress, and that romance isn't that important anyways so we should all just be happy with the boring stock choices.

This game pushes story as one of its main appeals, and what story on such a grand scale doesn't involve some sort of romantic subplot? You get to choose everything about your character, you get to choose your dialog options, so what the hell is so wrong with choosing who you romance?

All I want is to have a romance I can relate to. Straight people never think of this because literally everything caters to you. Imagine if every romance in every book, movie, game, or whatever was between two dudes. How would you feel? That's exactly how I feel.

I love this:

Torture? Perfectly fine for my children.

Beheading? Totally fine.

One night stands with strange members of the opposite sex? Kosher.

Thievery? Totally legit.

Genocide? Sure

Extortion? Yep!

Same Sex Relations? MY CHILDREN DO NOT NEED TO BE CONFUSED BY THIS!

LOL you win +100 internetz!

A question. Why do you care ? it's their fantasy ; do you fantasy about it ? If not then why do you care ? I dont like romance so i stop my companion first chance and he stop bothering about it; so i dont see any problem with they adding it to the game.

You people feel offend because Bio said they will add same sex romance. But if they did not put the restricted in the first place then no one's gonna say anything.