What's your WORST experience in RP?

Inafinus

My worst RP experiences are from those who A) Do not know what RP is/How to RP and B) Have no concept of the "Character Creation for RP Guidelines" People abide by to not break canon.

Although my character (In RP) is considerably powerful, and barely squeezes into the realm of "Creation Canon", My character will never be "proclaimed" to be more powerful than Vitiate. If they say they are, they need to be slapped.

However to say my worst experience with RP is the one time we had a 10-minute "Awkward typing silence" waiting for the RP groups "Leader" to say his bit. Turns out he did not know what to say either.

Second worst is when people take gender "Too seriously" in RP. I very often play female characters (being female myself) and having "their character" hit on my character to the point i'm convinced they are rapists.

Welcome to the world of Role-Play

Those players who break the rules of common sense I hate, or as I call them "The cardinal Rules of Role Play" or break the lore or god mod etc.

See me I'm a PvP-RP'er I don't emote or spend hours on end falling asleep typing out a dual.. I physically hit them, even if I'm in empty shells so its fair for the none Expertise players.

Aslong as they keep to the unwritten rules and don't be ***** I'm willing to RP with them

My worst RP was one of my old GM's basically exclaimed he was, currently in the era, older than the emperor, and was the one who wrote the teachings for Vitiate to learn the ritual from, he God modded his way out of every situation and confrontation he didn't like, he then also went on to write in his lore story that he sealed his life and force essence into a Datacron that was hidden away and then found shortly after the Darth Krayt/Legacy era and he was released from the Datacron is all his power and life force and glory to live for another 1.5k years....No explanation as to how he managed to put his actually body into there for it to be whole when he got released.. and this was a typical size of your hand Datacron...

We only stayed in the guild cause we always went over his head in RP and did our own ting, mainly cause he was AFK a lot, then when he released said full lore story we all quit to move on

The worst experiences I've had have been due to drama, i.e. people I was friends with OOC for years who then break ties entirely over drama surrounding RP. Sooooooo dumb.

Too many "bad RP" examples to count, lol. In this game I have a pretty low tolerance for openly breaking canon in Sith space, such as weird anti-Sith cults recruiting on Korriban or Darths who do nothing but party in bars all the time.

My biggest RP pet peeve though are people who just cannot take a hit no matter how tiny. Like, even if your character playfully shoves them they always have to see it coming and block it. Let alone actual combat... they have a dodge/force power/gadget available to avoid any scenario ever. Even Darth Vader took hits.

Oh, lord. So many choices.

If I had to narrow it down, it would be between these two:

The Emperor 'taking control' of the Imperial Fleet and demanding all bow before him, subsequently destroying a single person's homeworld (by somehow transferring a ship capable of doing so in a matter of seconds.) then severing their head. It was a pretty dull, awfully-written, and godmoddy thing.

Secondly, it could very well be the Cantina RP which plagued the Republic Fleet on Begeren Colony for quite a while. This was during the prime of dancing guilds, and as such, there were dancers galore. While I myself am guilty of participating in Cantina RP, the smut and destruction of the English Language has left me, for lack of a better word, scarred.

--Krista

Secondly, it could very well be the Cantina RP which plagued the Republic Fleet on Begeren Colony for quite a while. This was during the prime of dancing guilds, and as such, there were dancers galore. While I myself am guilty of participating in Cantina RP, the smut and destruction of the English Language has left me, for lack of a better word, scarred.

This kind of "tavern RP" plagues every MMO. You must not have been on BC recently.

The reason I don't RP is because this kind of drivel is what passes for RP in most people's books. God moding, emote "thought broadcasting," endless mysterious "Strider like" characters sitting moodily in corners, random light saber dueling threats, boring. Most people aren't looking to RP, they're looking to play "Second Life in Star Wars."

Are we talking worst RP experience ever, worst in a video game, or worse in this game ?

I tried to get into the RPing in this game, ended up in a barely literate guild, everyone misspelled atleast one word a sentence and haven't been back since.

Now, if we can talk about all RP experiences, I have such stories to tell.

Edited by LordGarmaZabi

• 3 weeks later...

Prude "roleplayers" who die at the sight of a bit of flesh. These people seems like they were raised by the Amish, have no imagination aside roleplaying by doing -exactly- what NPC do, have little to no knowledge of Star Wars lore aside what the game presented, and are exceptionally obnoxious, arrogant, when in reality they are the at the top of boredom, typically unable to do anything but comment on other people's outfits.

They also enter in the category of "People trying to pass OOC insults as IC", for instance calling you stupid and idiot through emotes, but not "speaking it up" per say, and essentially godmodding your character - which is essentially, the number one rule you do not break as a roleplayer.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it was a bad experience because I wasn't playing for that long. I had just created the character and got to level 7 on Tython. I played RP before on several games and yes I was one of the morons who played Runescape when it was good. I love the RP aspect of SWTOR but when I joined the west coast RP server I was set back a little bit because there was a majority not RPing.

If people actually RP in other areas besides Tython then I would really appreciate it. I hope to cap a character on an RP server so please let me know if it is more common in the higher-ups.

Also as far as a good RP goes I usually try to keep it simple. I like to come right out and say here's me. I'm no one special just an extremely high speed (I learn really fast/easy) Jedi Padawan who is destined to destroy the emperor.

Granted I don't think I would include any of the SWTOR story line for the purpose of making it mine because others out there will get a bad case of the spoiled story and I want to be more original than that. Keeping it to I was orphaned and a Jedi Master who was killed but found me a week before hand wandering the streets of Nar-Shaddaa.

Edited by OrionLives
content

Well, thats an easy question, it was also my first (and last) attempt to RP in game. Some confrontation on Voss between the pub guild I was in (having decided to try out the whole rp thing outside of something like DnD) and the imp guild they interacted with the most. It was so poorly thought out, so poorly done, and generally so retarded I gave up completely and just left.

Between the crazy magical "Force" crap that goes on in this game and in some of the books and whatnot, I doubt Ill ever try to rp in a Star Wars setting again.

Maybe it was a bad experience because I wasn't playing for that long. I had just created the character and got to level 7 on Tython. I played RP before on several games and yes I was one of the morons who played Runescape when it was good. I love the RP aspect of SWTOR but when I joined the west coast RP server I was set back a little bit because there was a majority not RPing.

If people actually RP in other areas besides Tython then I would really appreciate it. I hope to cap a character on an RP server so please let me know if it is more common in the higher-ups.

Also as far as a good RP goes I usually try to keep it simple. I like to come right out and say here's me. I'm no one special just an extremely high speed (I learn really fast/easy) Jedi Padawan who is destined to destroy the emperor.

Granted I don't think I would include any of the SWTOR story line for the purpose of making it mine because others out there will get a bad case of the spoiled story and I want to be more original than that. Keeping it to I was orphaned and a Jedi Master who was killed but found me a week before hand wandering the streets of Nar-Shaddaa.

Well, you might have just had a bad experience or it might be a taste of future things, but without knowing the specifics, I can't say for sure. What I can tell you is this:

1. When I started out, I was super naive and thought everyone RPed all the time on RP servers. I started trying to do it, and met with a lot of "what?"s and confused whispers. Eventually I realized that not only will you be kind of lonely if you try to stay in character all the time, but it's exhausting. So I wouldn't recommend it, honestly, though you can try.

2. That being said, Tython is one of the less-good places to RP in the game, since there's usually so many people running around who may or may not know what you're doing/try to harass you/join in.

3. Don't rp your class story. As you said, it's more original, doesn't spoil it for anyone else, and since every other representative of your class has the same story, would make things downright nonsensical. I'm pretty sure from your post that you already know this, but I'll repeat it for the benefit of anyone else who might read this.

4. I'd suggest finding a good roleplaying guild. That's where the great majority of RP happens, and you can also participate in ongoing storylines that way, instead of just one-off encounters. One thing I learned from my own experience is that you should figure out whether you prefer Republic or Empire early on, and look for a guild that focuses on that one. Only a small percentage of RP guilds I've seen do a lot with both sides, usually focusing on one and having the other be at best a side story. I'm sure this isn't true for everyone, but it is often the case.

As a shameless plug, you didn't say which West Cost RP server you were on, but if it happens to be Begeren Colony, and you decide you'd prefer Empire RP, my guild is recruiting and we'd love to have you, so pm me on this site if you're interested.

Good luck, and I hope you find an rp experience that's everything you're looking for!

A certain Republic guild that RP-ed as breakaway Sith and did so on the fleet, and worse, Tython.

Not Sith attempting to learn the Jedi teachings, but true Sith operating in Republic space and defying the Jedi.

Any attempts to point out the lore-breaking of it resulted in OOC drama, urg. Thankfully I haven't seen them around of late so perhaps they wised up and took it somewhere more appropriate.

I tend to think all of my worst RP involves Mandalorians. It isn't that I have anything against them, in fact quite the opposite. It's that so many people have so many conflicting ideas on what it means to be Mandalorian, and the retcons for continuity haven't done much to help any.

• 3 weeks later...

All of my worst experiences in Roleplay have come from confrontational people who don't comprehend the difference between IC and OOC. And who get offended easily by IC situations that don't necessarily work out for their character. Or by 'Evil' characters actually being evil.

Yes, as a roleplayer you have rights over your character's life and over what is comfortable for you as a person, and these are far more important than any character consistency. However if you want to confront someone about this and work out a compromise, you do so privately in a mature and understanding fashion - on both sides. People get their egos far too hurt and are pointlessly confrontational. There's no reason for it and all it does is create drama, which is the most souring part of Roleplay.

Edited by Greywatch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A certain Republic guild that RP-ed as breakaway Sith and did so on the fleet, and worse, Tython.

Not Sith attempting to learn the Jedi teachings, but true Sith operating in Republic space and defying the Jedi.

Any attempts to point out the lore-breaking of it resulted in OOC drama, urg. Thankfully I haven't seen them around of late so perhaps they wised up and took it somewhere more appropriate.

^ probably this. A bunch of folks trying to RP actual Sith preaching and recruiting on the very STEPS OF THE JEDI TEMPLE on Tython and justifying it as "in canon" since all sith were fallen Jedi at some point....such nonsense.

..also players who think that full PvP gear equals real IC power. Hint, folks. PvP does NOT equal RP.

Edited by Taramayne

• 3 weeks later...

New experience just popped up on Ebon Hawk.

Four Mandalorians thought it'd be a good idea to pull their weapons on a Sith in the middle of Vaiken spacedock.

My Imperial Soldier came up to them along with other IC soldiers (considering it's an Imperial station, which makes sense) and demanded that they put down their weapons. They went on to say that the Sith and I were godmodding and that they want us to go to Korriban and duel there because they claim that RP is '50% PvP'. After they continued to refuse to suffer IC consequences for their character's actions and pretty much made everyone fed up with them, my Imperial Soldier ordered her fellow (IC) soldiers to open fire at the defiant group of 'Mandalorians'. Everyone /ignored them and my Imperial Soldier was quickly commended by a group of Sith.

Edited by Inafinus

• 5 weeks later...

I co-founded a guild with a longtime friend. If was supposed to be all about smuggling and mercenary work, and we had a great premise laid down.

Then out of nowhere said co-leader decided it was a Mando guild and everyone had to be mandalorians, had to learn man do ' a irl (and attend Skype classes she wanted to host). My own character no longer qualified to be part of the guild, and I'm sorry, but if I'm going to learn more languages, they're nor going to be mando'a or klingon or otherwise.

It reinforced the notion that you never really see someone's true colors until they have some sort of power overt you, be it real or imagined.

• 4 weeks later...
This one time I met a female republic Twi'lek jedi. (I am a Sith Warrior.) We talked for a few minutes and then she started dancing... She (Just saying she because the character was female) then said that her dancing made me her slave and I had to do everything she said. I just said... That isn't how role playing works and she said I had to kill myself. I said no and she went back to the Republic fleet. That was just a very weird experience. xD

• 3 weeks later...
This kind of "tavern RP" plagues every MMO. You must not have been on BC recently.

The reason I don't RP is because this kind of drivel is what passes for RP in most people's books. God moding, emote "thought broadcasting," endless mysterious "Strider like" characters sitting moodily in corners, random light saber dueling threats, boring. Most people aren't looking to RP, they're looking to play "Second Life in Star Wars."

My solution.... PvP on the RP servers and RP everywhere else. BC is a terrible place for any sort of protracted RP.

• 3 weeks later...
New experience just popped up on Ebon Hawk.

Four Mandalorians thought it'd be a good idea to pull their weapons on a Sith in the middle of Vaiken spacedock.

My Imperial Soldier came up to them along with other IC soldiers (considering it's an Imperial station, which makes sense) and demanded that they put down their weapons. They went on to say that the Sith and I were godmodding and that they want us to go to Korriban and duel there because they claim that RP is '50% PvP'. After they continued to refuse to suffer IC consequences for their character's actions and pretty much made everyone fed up with them, my Imperial Soldier ordered her fellow (IC) soldiers to open fire at the defiant group of 'Mandalorians'. Everyone /ignored them and my Imperial Soldier was quickly commended by a group of Sith.

What server? And where do you get Imp trooper armor?