Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

Indeed

Well said.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and role out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

You condradict yourself by saying its not supposed to be a stress test and then claim that you cant have any more waves because you need to stress test.

What a load of ****.

General Discussion -> Bioware going back on their word?

We haven't finished invites for the day yet, but I can tell you from seeing the list with my own eyes, no-one who pre-ordered in (for example) October is in the game - unless they made two accounts and registered two pre-order codes.

We're inviting more people later today, as stated.

12.13.2011 01:28 PM

Posted on the Dev Tracker

It looks like Mid-late September and early-mid October EGA will start tomorrow. Maybe, just MAYBE late October and early November will also start tomorrow. That is just speculation though :p

Imo, EGA invites should be done by Thursday or early Friday.

Wait... so... they're gradually rolling people in (so the login servers are DDoS'd) and rather than starting it on the 15'th (because their info said "Up To" 5 days) they do the good guy thing and start rolling people in two days before the expected start date...

...and people are ************? You people need more hardships in your lives if THIS is upsetting to you.

Would you rather they simply unlock it on the 15th? And then for the first several days you can't get into the game at all? Or maybe you'd rather they start the roll out on the 15th? And gradually let people in up till the 20th?

Every person who honestly feels bothered that they are letting people in EARLY to make things easier really need to evaluate their world view. I'm going to just assume you're all trolling so I don't lose what little faith I have left in humanity.

More people were invited today already than there were CE editions printed, and if, as they say, they are starting slow, then more people will get in tomorrow than what got in today - do you want people to wait even longer just so you, a CE owner, get to play?

What people don't realize is that scalability is hard. Like, NP-hard. I expected half the servers to crash today. They still might tomorrow, or the day after. Sit back and enjoy the show.

Not really. As a developer and someone who implements software for Fortune 500 companies, you can always find some way to analyze server load, database record sizes, code performance. If you can't, you lack the technical personnel to perform such analysis or no one ever thought, "Gee, what happens if we have more than 5 concurrent users each creating 10 records a day?" If you're developing an MMO for millions of people, you know you will have problems and have to create environments accordingly. Then push them until they work within performance parameters, then you have a finished product.

I cannot believe people are getting worked up and bothered about a couple of days. i mean come on. think about it. this is why you should NOT tell your kids they are going to disney land 9 months before you go. just tell them on the day.

If they have such fear the servers may slow down or stop by not being able to have all preorders in game and up and running at once, how will they possibly be able to handle everyone else that goes and buys it for themselves or children 12.20.11 release date and expects to play.

This is just sad and shameful that these 'creators' and 'marketing guru's' behind this great game would chose such a callous and manipulative way to reward we fans of the story the console games and books to pick and chose when and where they deem we can play.

I know this will get buried quickly but these are my thoughts...

#1. You were aware of the fact many retailers had difficulties getting their customers the pre-order codes required for early access.

- EB Games Canada not having the code cards because their head office was PRINTING THEM the first day we could pre-order

- Best Buy screwing up

- People not getting the E-Mail from Amazon

#2. You did stress tests for a reason... so why do I feel as though we are testing your servers for you yet again?

- Maybe you should have allowed more people into the Beta sooner... just a thought. Having a 2008 account with a CE ordered and having been signed up for Beta from the start I didn't get into the Beta at all with this main account... I had to use a key I found on a third party website that then gave me access to a Beta weekend. Thanks for taking care of your fans before tossing XXXXXXXXX amount of keys all over the web. / sarcasm

#3. I was fine with the whole "Waves" idea until you stopped.

- Letting people into the game in waves can be acceptable... but I somewhat figured you guys would be doing the waves 24 / 7 until everyone had access.

#4. Because of your system I am now going to be far behind my friends and will have to play with random strangers as I level up. Thanks... thanks a lot. Just what I enjoy doing in an MMO... not playing with my friends.

---------------------

While it's far from the end of the world I do feel robbed of game time. I pre-ordered the first day we could and because I couldn't get my pre-order code on time so I'm left waiting to gain access. I call unfair on that... and I bet you I am not the only one thinking this way.

Long story short your pre-order system was borked a long time ago... the community made it very clear we were having issues getting our codes... yet you did nothing and continued on as planned.

Did the community manager even bring up all the pre-order issues to his superiors? It doesn't look like it at this rate.

This says it all folks... and no kidding, the servers are all almost full already...

Originally Posted by kinegos

this isn't a troll, and isn't exactly qq although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that i've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other mmo games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, i just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, ea/bw - what exactly are you afraid of?

The only way this should have been done is to have given all pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. Ce customers get 7 days, se get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an mmo franchise.

At any rate, i love this game. I love bw. But i truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out..

I think the main concern, at least for me is just 1) the folks I wanna play with in my guild, that did get in, will be levels ahead of me already and 2) the chance of getting the name I want will be slimmer, the longer I have to wait. Those are the 2 things that bother me the most.

I don't care how many days of EA I get, I would of just liked to see everyone get in at once in order to be "fair". And since this kinda wave stuff has not been done in the past (as far as I know) it makes it seem even worse. Just my 2 cents tho.

I agree and will add for a achievement ***** like myself chances of getting a first for somethings will be taken or harder to achieve.

Now even though kicking my feet and screaming like a little girl want help I'm going to do it anyway. SCREWWW YOU GUYS I'M GOING HOME!!