Commando or Vanguard?

KnightDave

I really like the Vanguard personally, I couldn't stand the Commando and ended up deleting it by the end of Nar Shaddaa and my Vanguard is about to finish Act 1. Though, I've always preferred melee and tanks and I'm loving Storming around as a Trooper hur hur hur.

Why don't you tell us how you like to play and then we will tell you which way to go. :)

Well, I mainly play as a level 27 jedi guardian, so I like tanking. But I have never tried a healing class before. I mainly want a character that I can tank with and play pvp easily as. With a jedi, I can take down single opponents easily, but when inquisitors catch me with lightning I as good as dead. Also, with a jedi you need to position yourself very carefully so that you can attack opponents. So I guess what I am looking for is a tanking character that can stay mobile.

I faced the same decision as you, but I was lucky enough to play both a Commando and Vanguard during the Betas.

Vanguard: Ranged tank/Mobile DPS with the majority of you abilities being cast instantly. Mostly be around the 10m range, but closing in for the occasional stock strike. No knock back.

Commando: Stationary turret/Healer. You'll be quite a few things at range. You get one knock back.

Pick your poison.

I myself chose Vanguard. PVP wise the mobile DPS platform was the winning point for me. You can tank and hand out some serious damage. Plus the PVP section of the forums seems to always have a cry out for a nerf to us and BH's, so we must be good at something. :rak_03:

Edited by Atracin

Well, I mainly play as a level 27 jedi guardian, so I like tanking. But I have never tried a healing class before. I mainly want a character that I can tank with and play pvp easily as. With a jedi, I can take down single opponents easily, but when inquisitors catch me with lightning I as good as dead. Also, with a jedi you need to position yourself very carefully so that you can attack opponents. So I guess what I am looking for is a tanking character that can stay mobile.

You just described a Vanguard.

Have fun!

I have a 29 commando and it's pretty fun. I also have a 41 powertech. If I didn't have the powertech I probably would have rolled a vanguard myself. Trooper animations are better than Bounty Hunter imo. Both ACs are good in their own right. Just depends if you want range or melee because in DPS spec even in heavy armor you are fairly squishy in PvP.

Well, I started a trooper this saturday and I made it a commando. It is already level 14.

I don't like the looks of those big cannons, although I carry one of those customs one in my inventory for when **** gets serious.

On that note I only use blaster rifles and play as combat medic only working with the healing tree.

So far I'm doing very well and I chose a commando since my guild (made of a few friends from another bigger guild - name in the signature) needs a few healers.

We already have some healers, but since everyone in the guild has a trooper alt, I thought it would be fun if I had one too.

Also, if you don't like to play "combat medic" you can also respect to the Assalt Tree which is the same with vanguards, but you are not able to use the shields, only generators.

If you are serious about PvP, I would go Vangard as it has the most versatility IMO. you can tank or do some serious DPS. The DPS you can do is mobile too, so I feel it is suited better for PvP than a DPS commando which most of the stuff requires you to be stationary for a few seconds etc.

Hi, I just got my trooper to level 10 and I can't decide to go with the commando or the vanguard. Based on your experience, which one would you recommend?

I have a lvl 50 Commando and my Vanguard is lvl 41. And both are excellent!!! You can't make a bad choice as one can be a healer (willl be in high demand) and one can be a tank (willl be in higher demand) and both wear heavy armor, and you dont wear a bathrobe all day.

Although, I enjoy my bathrobe, I rolled a Trooper last night. At first I was going to make a Vangaurd but at the last second, I made him a Commando instead and have no regrets. A Commando can still cut down enemies well and heal if stuff hits the fan. It is amazing how much quicker I cut through the quests to level 12 than I did with my Jedi Consular. As for the BFG, I made my toon a small frame and it looks hilarious that the weapon is over half his size.

I played a commando to 28 and liked it a lot, but there was just something not right. So I went back and started a Vanguard, hes 20 now and I absolutely love him. The mobility in warzones makes him a beast, it just feels more soldier like. he's definitely my number two character right now but might make number one soon :)

I went commando until the 20s, and started to research builds. I was under the impression from the in game information that Vanguard was more of the "healing" class and commando the high DPS class. I wanted something that I could tweak to produce high numbers in DPS while being productive in PVP / PVE. Now after spending half the day reading it seems Vanguard would of been the better choice?

Does this seem to be the case for any one else that is wanting to squeeze out the most DPS?

Thanks

My trooper is hanging out at the fleet cantina waiting for me to make up my mind on what Advanced class to select. I've been playing since beta so I understand how the classes work, tank/dps vs healer/dps, ranged vs melee (4-10m) but I still can't make up my mind. I was wishing for a true ranged tank but as I understand it, trooper is as much a melee tank as the Jedi even though they carry a gun rather than lightsaber.

My main is a Bounty Hunter Mercenary which is the mirror to Commando so I understand the class very well. I know my own playstyle and there is no doubt that I prefer ranged DPS over tank or healing by far but I wish I was more mobile in PvP. Mercenary is a lot of stand still and wait for activation or channeled abilities. Also, I have several ranged DPS alts already. Aside from the Bounty Hunter I have a 42 Gunslinger for ranged DPS on the Republic side and an Inquisior ranged DPS which is also fun.

So, I decided that I really should try a tank and/or healer rather than having 8 ranged DPS alts! I started with a Sith Jugg who I enjoyed enough to reach level 50. Having a DPS and a tank at level 50, I decided to try an Operative healer and forced myself to play to level 19 before accepting I dont like the melee even though I enjoyed the Jugg. I think the difference is that the Jugg can force leap while the Operative has to run up to each enemy and position behind people to backstab. Most PvE fights dont last that long.

So now that my Gunslinger is approaching 50, I want to play a trooper. I know I have more fun with ranged DPS but I already have the Mercenary and the Gunslinger. I know the Vanguard gets storm and I think a harpoon, so I'm thinking it will be more like the Juggernaut but I'm worried that I should learn my lesson from the Operative and stay away from melee classes.

I guess I'm leaning toward Vanguard since I already have a republic ranged dps and already played the Mercenary which is basicaly the same as Commando. Sounds like it might be more fun in PvP.

Any advice?

Edited by stesergio

if you wanna be a healer: Sage

if you wanna do anything else: Vanguard

Fixt! Haha, ok seriously. IF you want to heal then CM is viable in PVP and PVE...not fun like it used to be. For PVE and only PVE Gunnery is a great class, in competative PVP not so much. Assault Commando is the best PVP spec but it is nothing like Assault Vanguard which kicks arse.

Vanguard - Tank/Shield spec is great with no weaknesses for PVE and can be good fun in PVP if you run in DPS gear since many of the defensive stats are not as effective when in PVP. Assualt Vanguard is currently the FOTM right behind sentinel...it is easy to be good and when in a skilled players hands they are amazing. Tactics isn't worth the time since the damage isn't much better than a Shield spec in DPS gear.

Good luck with your choice...you could always go Commando in hopes that the class will get a balance sweep to make them more viable in all aspects of the game.

My main since Pre-purchase has been my commando. I was suppose to pick vanguard but i misclicked when i chose the AC lol. Anyway, in february i started to wonder if i had picked the wrong class. Cause combat medic(as I am) got neerrfeddd :(. And besides, if you only do pvp, commando isn't anything compared to a vanguard when it comes to dps. And even though your a healer it's chill to switch out once a week. The only downside here is that the vanguard's mobility and ability to cross dps tree-with ion cell is the shiat. So i made myself a vanguard alt and got him to 50. And I am so glad i did that, cause now i know i want to be a healer as long as I am subscribed to this game. And the big *** cannon? **** IT IS SO F:CKING KICKASS!!! :D

Gravediiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig

I dont think 1 week entitles necro yet

if you wanna be a healer: Smugler

if you wanna do anything else: Vanguard

Fixt! Haha, ok seriously. IF you want to heal then CM is viable in PVP and PVE...not fun like it used to be. For PVE and only PVE Gunnery is a great class, in competative PVP not so much. Assault Commando is the best PVP spec but it is nothing like Assault Vanguard which kicks arse.

Vanguard - Tank/Shield spec is great with no weaknesses for PVE and can be good fun in PVP if you run in DPS gear since many of the defensive stats are not as effective when in PVP. Assualt Vanguard is currently the FOTM right behind sentinel...it is easy to be good and when in a skilled players hands they are amazing. Tactics isn't worth the time since the damage isn't much better than a Shield spec in DPS gear.

Good luck with your choice...you could always go Commando in hopes that the class will get a balance sweep to make them more viable in all aspects of the game.

Fixt your fixt

Ok. I think I am going Vanguard, I just worry about how melee works with trooper. As I mentioned earlier, I played an Operative and a Juggernaut both of which are mostly melee. The Jugg was fun because I could Force leap in and be fighting right away but I hated the operative because I felt I was always running around from one NPC to the next. Most of the time I just stayed in cover and used my few ranged abilities because i got sick of chasing people trying to get a backstab or shiv in range.

So, with trooper I'm guessing storm and harpoon makes it more similar to the Juggernaut as far as the melee range combat (I know powertech is the mirror but I haven't played a powertech).

Ok. I think I am going Vanguard, I just worry about how melee works with trooper. As I mentioned earlier, I played an Operative and a Juggernaut both of which are mostly melee. The Jugg was fun because I could Force leap in and be fighting right away but I hated the operative because I felt I was always running around from one NPC to the next. Most of the time I just stayed in cover and used my few ranged abilities because i got sick of chasing people trying to get a backstab or shiv in range.

So, with trooper I'm guessing storm and harpoon makes it more similar to the Juggernaut as far as the melee range combat (I know powertech is the mirror but I haven't played a powertech).

Vanguard isnt actually melee, it's more close range 10m with some 30m abilities

, so you can open with your 30m abilities while closing in for 10m and just step in for stockstrike. If you want to really be ranged then go gunslinger.