[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

There has been one in the last 5 years that has not had high res textures as an option? I don't mean F2P either.

F2P games make sure their armor looks fantastic cause its part of the hook that gets people to pay in more money than they'd paid for a "premium" MMO.

Not a fan of Perfect World Entertainment but they definitely don't skimp on visuals cause its how they make a profit.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by SucXeviouS

Quoted from massively user Deliverator:

"THIS IS ALL CAUSED BY BIOWARE IMPLEMENTING REMOTE RENDERING AS A FORM OF COPY PROTECTION. THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING BETWEEN THE HIGH SETTINGS DURING BETA AND THE SETTINGS AVAILABLE NOW.

Massively - what you missed is that the High Rez textures worked fine in the Beta. For release, they implemented REMOTE RENDERING. What's actually happening is that they can't handle the network traffic generated by remotely rendering higher rez textures.

Let me repeat - High Rez doesn't work because of anti-piracy DRM shenanigans, not because they're concerned about players' machines. They're remote rendering so people who have purchased the game won't be able to dig through Lucas's precious artwork for their fan sites.

Again - they're remote rendering so you can't 'steal' what you bought already. Its copy protection and they're willing to go so far as to gimp the game and lie to cover it up.

Remote rendering is the cause of all of the frame drops and slow downs as well as advanced rendering features not working, We pay big money to buy the machines that have gigantic pipes between all of our components, especially to the GPUs. Internet throughput is nowhere near the bandwidth on your motherboard."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...onc/4#comments

To be clear, I really like the game and have no plans of un-subbing anytime soon. This is by no means a "rant".

On the other hand this info really bothers me. I have a pretty good PC and I'm content for now... But for those of you that have amazing hand built PCs it must hurt much more. That much time and money to have the game go backwards after beta.

Food for thought on my end though. Not the best of first impressions I must admit.

<--- long time FFXI player. FF XIV felt almost like a step backwards to me.

Some of the strange pixels are already present in the environment textures we have now, they're just not as visible as they're not sharp. Some of them are also just there as texture so the surfaces don't look as flat or smooth...

Also beware of the "shimmering" effect when forcing LOD bias. It bothers a lot of people a lot, not myself personally, but it can be very noticeable on texture and object edges.

"THIS IS ALL CAUSED BY BIOWARE IMPLEMENTING REMOTE RENDERING AS A FORM OF COPY PROTECTION. THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING BETWEEN THE HIGH SETTINGS DURING BETA AND THE SETTINGS AVAILABLE NOW.

Massively - what you missed is that the High Rez textures worked fine in the Beta. For release, they implemented REMOTE RENDERING. What's actually happening is that they can't handle the network traffic generated by remotely rendering higher rez textures.

Let me repeat - High Rez doesn't work because of anti-piracy DRM shenanigans, not because they're concerned about players' machines. They're remote rendering so people who have purchased the game won't be able to dig through Lucas's precious artwork for their fan sites.

Again - they're remote rendering so you can't 'steal' what you bought already. Its copy protection and they're willing to go so far as to gimp the game and lie to cover it up.

Remote rendering is the cause of all of the frame drops and slow downs as well as advanced rendering features not working, We pay big money to buy the machines that have gigantic pipes between all of our components, especially to the GPUs. Internet throughput is nowhere near the bandwidth on your motherboard."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/11/swtor-senior-community-manager-responds-to-high-res-texture-conc/4#comments

Well this actually might be the problem, don't really dig into these kind of speculations, but this sounds like it might be true, and if it is well then i really hope they do something about it.

I'd be happy to simply download a hi-res texture pack and run it on my higher end system locally. (like quite a few other MMO's do nowadays.)

I can't see why remotely, it's a form anti piracy or anything like it. THey already supply the additional security key program, which i use to login.

So +1 for the ability to download a Hi res texture pack for myself, here.

But if im completely honest, this is the first i've seen on teh subject as i don't read the forums much. Guess i've missed quite a bit. I've been fairly happy with the textures and it hadn't really bothered me prior to reading all this furore.

F2P games make sure their armor looks fantastic cause its part of the hook that gets people to pay in more money than they'd paid for a "premium" MMO.

Not a fan of Perfect World Entertainment but they definitely don't skimp on visuals cause its how they make a profit.

Not bashing F2P pre-se, they just happen to encompass "everything else".

I agree it’s time to take the next step. Bioware has made it clear that they do not respect or value us as paying customers. We should start voicing our opinions and utter disbelief in this garbage Bioware is trying to shove down our throats in the social media.

Bioware will soon understand the MMO gaming community is not one that excepts being lied to or taking advantage of.

Remember what happened to Allods in less than a week, SWG, Planetside and AOC to name a few. All it takes is one miss guided step.

Edited by Sunni

BioWare, I voiced a reply on this issue in the past and asked that you please not put out a response to this issue that is lazy and full of excuses. This *is* a big issue, clearly, from the size of the threads about it and how fast they are growing, and you *will* lose subscribers because of it. You won't lose those subscribers because of the low-res textures, you'll lose them because this instance shows that you are not willing to fix huge problems with your game and you refuse to listen to your consumers. Obviously most people want the high-res textures in the game, so you should put them in there with a smile on your face, you put a little box that pops up and says 'Warning: High textures require very powerful computers and should only be turned on for those that can handle it.', and the problem is solved.

You don't spit in the face of your consumers by saying that 'it's a UI glitch', and you don't just ignore the fact that there are hundreds of screenshots for your game, on your website, showing the high-res textures. As many people have said, that's false advertising, and your game looks a lot worse than it actually is. This is morally wrong to me.

I played in beta, and I had no FPS issues whatsoever. I was *incredibly* impressed with how well the game ran, I was consistently getting over 50 FPS and had no problems. With high-res textures. Now, I get 40 FPS most the time with medium-res textures, my FPS crashes randomly at certain places down to the low 20's, and in cantinas it's like a slide-show. It's pathetic, and I just don't understand. You very clearly messed something up at some point. How hard is it to go back and figure out what you did wrong, and fix it?

I expect with how much this has blown up in your face, you are going to put the high-texture options in, but seriously, get yourselves together BioWare. Hire more people if you have to, make people work overtime, it doesn't matter how much it costs, fix your game, or people will start leaving and this MMO will end up just like WAR, with tons of people playing in the first few weeks and then becoming a ghost town after a few months.

Yep game looked great in beta. Was the only reason I was willing to accept the "stylized" art style, cause at least it was done well.

Now it just looks like hammered dog butt. And the whole issue with stylizing the art in the first place is pretty much lost.

Blurry, low LOD textures don't "age well" BioWare.

If this is infact true, there'll be hell to pay.

Edited by nilssen

Hey EAware mods, you can keep deleting my posts and my sigs and sending me warnings until your fingers bleed, won't change the fact I will not let this issue rest nor does it change the fact your bosses screwed the proverbial pooch big time. there are, believe it or not, other forums on other widely read sites that you can't moderate. Edited by Zorvan

Well this actually might be the problem, don't really dig into these kind of speculations, but this sounds like it might be true, and if it is well then i really hope they do something about it.

I'm sure it is, name another game that has two in this case SWTOR.exe running in program manager.

So we finally got our big reply from Stehpen Reid today on why "everything was working as intended" and it is "just not technically possible" to have high res textures.

And surprise surprise! It was another set of lies from EA/Bioware to hide the truth. :mad:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/11/swtor-senior-community-manager-responds-to-high-res-texture-conc/4#comments

This is the real truth. The beta client ran fine with all high res because this DRM crap wasn't in there.

Guys we need to get this message out to everyone. This needs to be shared and posted over and over again. Let EA/Bioware know you will not stand for it.

EA/Bioware have consistently engaged in a campaign of stonewalling, lies, and deception since lauch.

It absolutely infuriates me. :mad:

Keep it going gents. This response is not enough. We need a more clear and concise timeframe on when we can expect the advertised textures in normal gameplay, much like they where in early beta builds.

It needs to be a toggleable options for those of us who wish to flex our computers might and enjoy a great looking game.

This is false, the remote renderer is remote from the exe as it is a spawned process.

MemoryMan.dll allows the engine and the renderer to communicate freely as if they were one process.