Shadow or Assassin?

XiomarShade

I would suggest that you not focus on the looks of gear. Unless there is a set that you really like the looks of and is only available to one class. Focus more on the animations and style of each spec, especially the spec you intend on playing. While you can always change your gear looks to freshen things up, you are for the most part stuck with the same basic animations of the class. (Some animations have been adjusted and may be adjusted in the future. For example lacerations animation for concealment ops. Tracer missile swapped with fusion missile, etc.)

I would suggest that you not focus on the looks of gear. Unless there is a set that you really like the looks of and is only available to one class. Focus more on the animations and style of each spec, especially the spec you intend on playing. While you can always change your gear looks to freshen things up, you are for the most part stuck with the same basic animations of the class. (Some animations have been adjusted and may be adjusted in the future. For example lacerations animation for concealment ops. Tracer missile swapped with fusion missile, etc.)

Uh, wouldn't the Shadow and Assassin have the same animations considering they're mirror classes for each faction?

I guess my question came down to which has a better story (Counselor or Inquisitor), and just a general opinion of them both.

I'm partial so I'm gonna say Shadow. I loved the story and I don't mind the animations. I actually prefer Project to shock. Love running up and hurling a rock at someone's head and stunning them for a few seconds. Not as impressive on my Sorc. Lightening does look better than tk throw tho. Hope we get some cooler animations in the upcoming expac.

Storyline..both to me are pretty awesome. I think it's what you would expect with Star Wars lore. Consular chasing dark forces across the galaxy. Sorc searching for dark lore across the galaxy. Nothing boring about it at all to me. I do prefer the Consular story more tho.

I've repeatedly tried to play Shadow and just can't get over how silly force-pebbles is and how boring Act 1 is and how extremely dull your character is and I always end up quitting. Just built an Assassin and got it to lvl 18 already. I'm not a fan of lightning but it's definitely more visually pleasing than pebbles, plus the dialogue is funny and entertaining that I actually start liking my character; which is an important step I couldn't get past with Consular.

On an even more personal note, the abilities description, visual cues, and audio cues were just more obvious to me as Assassin than Shadow. For example, Consular's Project would throw a boulder and then the mob would be stunned for a short time by leaning a little forward and standing still, while the Inquisitor's equivalent would have your target immobilzed, thrashing about, with lightning dancing across his body. I know it's right in the skill description that it does that but it didn't click for me that that skill can be actively used as a mini-stun until I played Assassin.

Both Jedi characters are so dull and have predictable dialogue.

But I really like the skill I saw for Shadow in it's progression video where she comes out of stealth throwing a vertically-spinning DBL. I really want that animation. Plus the spinning kick is just too cool.

Edited by Sanctioned

Honestly, I started playing up both.

And despite how cool it was wielding 31 flavors of lightning, I went with Shadow.

Reason being, I couldn't click on anything. No matter how tall your character is, Khem is taller still. And he INSISTS on standing directly behind you at all times. So any time I tried to click on a node to gather, chest to loot, or target to attack, he thought I was talking to him instead.

At least Qyzen had the sense to stand aside once in a while.

The "charging" of the Assassin's lightsaber is aesthetically horrible in my opinion, I don't like my red lightsaber to be flashing black and purple for god knows what reason. I made a Shadow and a Sorceror, rather than a Sage and an Assassin, because Jedi are usually more about martial prowess rather than flashy Force powers. Leave the lightning to the Sorceror, who does it best. The animations are also much smoother on the shadow.

As for throwing pebbles, Telekinetic Throw is only used by one spec of Shadow, and even then it's only if you go all the way up the tank tree. The other specs only use Project which is a really cool animation in my opinion, especially if you are specced into the double proc.

Supposedly the Assassin was "based off" Darth Maul, but he didn't use any Lightning in the movie, so it just seems like a disconnect to me.

Edited by Jenzali

I have played a Shadow since launch, then as soon as the cartel market opened up I decided to roll an Assassin for a change of pace and I am glad I did. Maybe it was just because it was a refreshing change, but I really liked the animations, story and gear all a lot better. Not to mention, I liked the companions much much better. I didn't really like any of the Consular's but the Inquisitor ones just seem to all fit together with you and each other better.

I am also not fond of the lightning all over my lightsaber, but that is my only complaint about Assassin.

• 2 weeks later...
Uh, wouldn't the Shadow and Assassin have the same animations considering they're mirror classes for each faction?

I guess my question came down to which has a better story (Counselor or Inquisitor), and just a general opinion of them both.

Same animations? Not exactly. While they do all the same things, each has their own "flavor" I suppose would be the best way to put it. It depends on spec of course but say compare Telekinetic throw to force lightning. I think the best way to decide is choose between sorcerer and sage, then if you picked sage then also roll a sorcerer, etc.