Companions 101: Mako

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly enough, the funniest Mako moment for me happened during a conversation with Gault. My character was already married to Mako and I was listening to Gault decribe his ex-girlfriend, Hylo Visz. I made some kind of response like, "she sounds like my kind of woman". Then in the background you hear Mako yell, "I heard that!". That gave me a good laugh and it's a testament to the attention to detail that was given to the stories in this game.

The fact that she's named after the worst thing to ever happen to mass effect 1, I was a little weary about her. But her personality and being a healing companion right off the bat makes her bearable lol.

Not the biggest ME fan, who is she named after?

For the next Companions 101 i would like to see Kira Carsen :) We can haz her?

We've already had her.

Personally, I don't understand the quinn fascination. I still can't make sense of what makes that guy tick. And after his behaviour on Alderaan, I certainly don't see what makes him a good romance choice for the warrior.

What I find even stranger, was that I flirted with him maybe once in companion conversations, and yet he was convinced that we were in a long and wonderful romantic affair when the 'incident' happens.

I'm not far with the BH, but i just arrived on Alderaan and I thought Mako wou;d be goody goody, but when I punched a snobby noble in the face, I got affectiopn. So when I beated him up, I got even more! So even though she's a Light person, beating up nobles is her dark side. I like it xD :)

She is adorable, have been meaning to maybe get further with my male BH since her story is interesting as a female BH.

Hmmmm which companion next from Republic side?... I think you chose the best ones already, but Qyzen Fess would be neat.

Not the biggest ME fan, who is she named after?

Heheh not a person, no. A vehicle! You have to drive the mako ALL OVER the place in that game, it got pretty tedious. It was how you explored planets, and quite frankly makes you never want to replay ME1 if you can help it. Though some people love that thing, it was annoying at best. A big clunky tank that is *almost* impossible to tip upside-down(friend of mine had a talent for doing it 3 or 4 times, I never did.)

I will say Mako is one companion who really grew on me. While I’m certain she rolls her eyes after our conversations and when hanging out with her girlfriends at the cantina, tells them that she’s really the brains of the outfit, I have come to consider her an equal partner in our enterprise. During the story, she showed more guts than I gave her credit for came through it with a sense of honor and humor intact.

The moment Darth Tormen force choked Mako, he sealed his fate. In my mind attacking her is exactly the same as attacking me. No amount of credits would’ve saved his life.

And if Torian breaks her heart, I’m gonna shoot him in the kneecaps.

On a side note, Mako’s cameo in the Consular story was one my favorite moments in the game. I really hope we see more crossovers like this in the future.

The jedi knight storyline has another cameo from an empire class companion

Kaliyo makes an appearance in one of Doc's quests on your Jedi Knight's ship. It was pretty cool.

Easily my least favorite companion so far.

She seems to have a foggy idea of what exactly Bounty Hunting is all about:

Getting paid.

That's it. Nothing more. I hunt and kill sentient beings for monetary compensation. There's no room for honor, mercy, conscience, or general "touchy-feeliness." Unfortunately as a Powertech, I'm stuck with her as she's my only healer.

What's worse is her vague "likes" and "dislikes," whose accuracy is dependent upon the weather, astral alignments, or whatever else tickles her fancy. Sometimes she likes it when I ask to get paid, sometimes she hates it. Others she likes it when I'm rude to Imperials, and then often she doesn't. So even if you try to keep her happy with dialogue choices to build her affection, 9 times out of 10 it's a total crap-shoot.

The most accurate remark I've heard from people complaining about her in trade was:

"She's a typical woman. Can't figure out what she likes and dislikes so neither can you"

Easily my least favorite companion so far.

She seems to have a foggy idea of what exactly Bounty Hunting is all about:

Getting paid.

That's it. Nothing more. I hunt and kill sentient beings for monetary compensation. There's no room for honor, mercy, conscience, or general "touchy-feeliness." Unfortunately as a Powertech, I'm stuck with her as she's my only healer.

What's worse is her vague "likes" and "dislikes," whose accuracy is dependent upon the weather, astral alignments, or whatever else tickles her fancy. Sometimes she likes it when I ask to get paid, sometimes she hates it. Others she likes it when I'm rude to Imperials, and then often she doesn't. So even if you try to keep her happy with dialogue choices to build her affection, 9 times out of 10 it's a total crap-shoot.

The most accurate remark I've heard from people complaining about her in trade was:

"She's a typical woman. Can't figure out what she likes and dislikes so neither can you"

I had no issues with finding out what she likes. And your feelings about a Bounty Hunter are pretty blunt and that is why you have issues finding out what Mako likes.

She's the exact opposite bounty hunter that you think a bounty hunter should be. She's more honorable and does like getting paid but won't like mindless violence to accomplish it. And while she likes to get paid, she doesn't like to kill innocent people not involved and doesn't want to take advantage of poor people if she can help it.

She generally likes to fulfill the contracts she and the BH takes unless it's something like their employer lied to them or fulfilling the contract won't satisfy the employer.

Best example of this off the top of my head is the one of the jobs you take on Dromund Kaas in qualifying for the Great Hunt. I'm talking about the one where the imperial officer wants his daughter killed because she's apprentice to a rebelling Sith Lord and he wants her killed so she doesn't get her family disgraced and possibly killed. The imperial officer is much more satisfied that you capture his daughter instead of killing her. Mako approves of the BH's action to capture the daughter instead of killing her because she thinks no father wants his daughter killed if he can help it.

Playing a Dark Side BH frustrated me to no end when dealing with Mako, and then I rolled a Male LS Merc, and she just FIT. Between the banter between them, and the fact that she liked most of my conversation choices, I definitely enjoyed her on my second playthrough. Plus, the one quote that made it all totally worth it. "Hearts were involved. Kind of a lot of them. Don't judge."

I really liked Mako, her story and everything got her to 10.000 affection points.

Only thing I didn't like was that she was a healer because leveling with a healer is soooo slow. I did not figure this out until I got Torian. With him geared up and me geared up to I could kill mobs so fast I never used Mako again except for her companion missions but liked to talk to her on the ship.

I always play teamed with my best friend who runs his agent. One time He got mad at the MOBs when they jumped Mako and actually started yelling at them over vent to "Get the hell of my Healer!" Was funny as hell the way he slipped and started treating her like another player.

Interestingly enough, the funniest Mako moment for me happened during a conversation with Gault. My character was already married to Mako and I was listening to Gault decribe his ex-girlfriend, Hylo Visz. I made some kind of response like, "she sounds like my kind of woman". Then in the background you hear Mako yell, "I heard that!". That gave me a good laugh and it's a testament to the attention to detail that was given to the stories in this game.

Hell yes that awesome,I almost choked on my drink!

• 1 month later...

Gault, Torian for next blogs, please please!

My favorite moment honestly has to be

it's a tie between meeting Mandalore, and when the Great Hunt champions died. When Seros and Marr crashed the party I had Cadera with me, but i saw the video of her with the BH and she acted the way I thought a normal person actually would act. And she IS right, everybody around us seems to die :-/

Aw, someone get a video of that!

• 2 weeks later...