Ranged or Tech

Danw

What is a clear definition of ranged and tech abilities?

for

more Aim (range damage) or Cunning (tech damage)

it looks if i understand this that all blaster abilities (except maybe blaster whip) are Aim/ranged and other like thermal det and satchel are cunning/tech.

Further scoundrel is more tech while gunslinger is more ranged.

? thanks...

if you look at the stats/ abilities most smuggler are blaster ie ranged, so you do want aim, only a few are tech ie non blaster

Cunning increases both Ranged damage and Tech damage. Open your Character Sheet (press C) and hover your mouse over the stats. That will show you want they do and you will see Cunning is better than Aim in every situation.

Cunning increases both Ranged damage and Tech damage. Open your Character Sheet (press C) and hover your mouse over the stats. That will show you want they do and you will see Cunning is better than Aim in every situation.

Then why have aim as a stat, except to add more to range damage with coombination of aim and cunning i guess. Other question would be how much do each give you?

basis example, not real numbers, does aim give you 10% range damage and cunning give you 5% range 5% tech? or is cunning 10% range, 10% tech? depending on values then again why have aim, it might just be extra.

note: i'm at work an cannot check things in game, either way ...

But, the stats that are not primary do effect things correct, so having aim, would still effect your characters range damage, correct? just wouldn't be optimal...

No.

Smugglers having Aim gain little-to-none statistical bonuses, if any.

Cunning is our primary stat. There is zero reason to go for anything else (besides endurance, and secondary stats like crit, surge, alacrity, etc.).

Think of if this way - they created a second "primary" stat to separate Troopers and Smuggler gear choices. Essentially, they do the same thing, but they are primary stats for different classes. In the same way JKs use Strength and JCs use Willpower, Troopers use Aim and Smugglers use Cunning. It wouldn't have made any sense to have Troopers and Smugglers fight after "Aim" gear when the other two classes have free roam and clear choices when it comes to gear drops. Is anyone questioning which class a chestpiece with Endurance/Strength on it belongs to? It would be a major problem for Troopers/Smugglers to be in the same group and going after the same statistical sets.

Hopefully that makes sense.

No.

Smugglers having Aim gain little-to-none statistical bonuses, if any.

Cunning is our primary stat. There is zero reason to go for anything else (besides endurance, and secondary stats like crit, surge, alacrity, etc.).

Not entirely correct. Given that Cunning does suffer from diminishing returns, there exists a point where, in theory, Aim bonuses will actually yield more of a benefit than continuing to stack Cunning.

The odds of anyone actually reaching that point however, are beyond slim.

Not entirely correct. Given that Cunning does suffer from diminishing returns, there exists a point where, in theory, Aim bonuses will actually yield more of a benefit than continuing to stack Cunning.

The odds of anyone actually reaching that point however, are beyond slim.

True, which is why I made a point to list secondary statistics. In most cases, I'd rather take crit or surge over Aim (at endgame). Unless I'm severely mistaken...

Damn DR...

Crit and Surge are definitely going to be preferable, and in all but crazily theoretical circumstances far superior to Aim, but given the way that stats are separated out on mods you may not be in a position to take Crit and Surge over more Cunning on some pieces.

Also, compare how much each stat gives you in %.

I did the math. Even though Aim gives you ranged damage and crit chance, the amount of such is still less than cunning. There is literally no point in getting Aim over Cunning. The only reason Aim gives you anything is a consolation prize just in case you equip it.

To the guy who said the system felt constrained and limited, you simply need to play to a higher level.

At lower levels, you're pretty much just itemizing two stats: Primary (aka, cunning) and Hit Points (aka endurance). Later on, you'll have options to itemize with more nuanced stats: Power, Surge, Alacrity, Accuracy and Crit. There's also Presence to consider, although I'd be surprised if this became a popular stat. There's also a few of defensive stats (Armor, Resistance, & Expertise).

So while the gear choices seem one dimensional right now, I wouldn't expect them to stay that way.

From my perspective, I think they've done a great job with stats in this game. Specifically, by itemizing classes off a single stat (aka Cunning), I'm not forced to collect a set of gear for healing and a different set of gear for farming. I can stack Cunning, focus on healing stats (crit, etc) but if I have extra energy and want to contribute some DPS, it won't be trivial. That's awesome.

Edited by Azaranth

• 7 months later...
But, the stats that are not primary do effect things correct, so having aim, would still effect your characters range damage, correct? just wouldn't be optimal...

Yes. But in your gear you only want the main stat. Cunning for smugglers. After that get all the datacrons you can find. Their is a small benefit to ranged attacks that you will get from aim but not to the bonus damage of tech attacks. As someone mentioned before, open your character sheet and hover over the stat to see where you are getting points from.

Again, in your gear you only want cunning gear for a smuggler. Main stat adds to damage, bonus tech damage and crit. That is a trifecta that ONLY comes from your main stat. Bonus damage from tech attacks comes from main stat and power.

Then why have aim as a stat, except to add more to range damage with coombination of aim and cunning i guess. Other question would be how much do each give you?

basis example, not real numbers, does aim give you 10% range damage and cunning give you 5% range 5% tech? or is cunning 10% range, 10% tech? depending on values then again why have aim, it might just be extra.

note: i'm at work an cannot check things in game, either way ...

So people such as yourself put on gear with the wrong stats and wonder why their damage is so low. Sorry, had to poke fun at you. :p

Aim has never been and never will be a smuggler stat. It's like an assassin I grouped with one time via the group finder who had all strength gear on and did horrible damage.

If your a scrapper Cunning -> Crit (to 30%) -> Surge for burst. If you do ops you want your accuracy at 110% first to compensate for the boss's defense.