Game Update 5.4a

EricMusco

Eric,

Thank you for getting the servers up today. I really appreciate it.

I hope EA and Bioware in the future consider some kind of reimbursement for the player base. While delays and down times are unavoidable something emailed or coded out for all the players not just twenty five bots would have been nice to sooth the salted wounds.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**Note - if you're getting what is happening below. Close out of the game and re-launch. it will do a verifying process and the issues will be fixed.

FYI: The mission tracker is showing Coming Soon, no tasks, no info, and several are just showing numbers. That is for the missions I picked up before the maintenance happened.

The Cartel Market is also not looking very good, missing images, numbers with expiration dates showing, and one item is listed for cartel coins than can be bought.

Edited by Reazael
fixed

Hey folks,

As many of you are seeing already, there are some fairly serious issues that have cropped up with GU 5.4a this morning. We are bringing the servers down to investigate what is happening and we will need to do to address it. Hold tight. Updates to follow.

-eric

Thanks for your hard work in getting us up and running again guys - love this game! :)

Glad I slept in today. I know they were fixing an exploit, but sad to see the fix is worse than the problem (the game was running fine yesterday). At least Eric kept posting all day, lack of communication has always been one of this game's biggest problems (though they've arguably improved a bit over the last year).

Having it happen during a double XP/CXP week is worse too. Just hope nothing else pops up until next Tuesday.

Dear Dev Team & SWtoR peeps,

I know you guys are hard at work trying to get this all unciphered and fixed and I appreciate y'all's hard work for the amount of people you have, but can I make a recommendation. 25 codes got posted, that means 25 people just got whatever, and literally the entire rest of the fanbase lost out. With the downtime being so long, could you guys just give out the cartel coins to people's accounts, or with in game mail, so everybody gets a piece? I recognize this is going to take forever, but that's also time people generally have spent money to play, and that's money they're losing out on.

Much love, and much concern, die hard Star Wars fan, Irrazius <3

They must not think many people play, to give out so few codes.

Edited by msummersea
quote removed

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

I want to start by apologizing for the unexpected and prolonged downtime today. This isn’t something we ever want to happen, but when it does, we take it seriously and do everything we can to resolve the issue or issues. We are adding additional processes to try and prevent this particular situation from happening again. Here’s essentially what took place today and what’s behind the long downtime:

What happened? Wasn’t this tested?

The issues we encountered were fairly complex, and having more than one just made things complicated. The first problem was the patch for our BitRaider and SSN launchers were inconsistent and ended up causing different issues after we took the servers out of maintenance. As a result, some of you actually received a game patch, while others didn’t get anything. You’d think we would catch that in our normal tests, but it was an oversight in our process which we have since corrected. The big issue was part of the patch that should have been included was missing data, so it was pulling information from 5.4 instead of 5.4a. The net result was a variety of issues – including some of the patch changes didn’t seem like they were deployed.

Although we extensively test all of our updates at all stages of the process, the missing parts just caused enough oddball problems, we had to take the game down again to figure out what was going on. In reality, had I been a little more patient, we would have caught the issues beforehand, yet the long downtime would not have been avoided. In addition, not everything we had planned to fix is actually included. For example, we have resolved the exploit with the Umbara Stronghold, but it didn’t make it in the 5.4a patch. Therefore, we have our normal infrastructure maintenance planned for next Wednesday, so our current plan is to deploy the change at that time. We implore you to not participate in this exploit as we don’t want any further disruptions in your game play.

Players lost time today, especially in the EU, is anything being done?

Losing playtime is always painful, especially when there is a “double” event running and Dailies awarding crazy high CXP. I’m kicking around a variety of options with the team, as we want to apologize and reward your patience. Some of you have asked to have our Double XP/CXP event extended and others have asked us to keep the current CXP amounts for the Daily Areas. Others have asked for different compensation, and we’re looking at all options as the last couple weeks have been tough on all of us. We’ll lock down what exactly we’re doing and let you know in the coming days.

Again, thank you all for your patience today.

--Keith-

Nope, he didn't get huffy, people wanted more than what he could give, and he couldn't please everyone, so that was the end of that. Eric was one of the very few people on the forum, not huffy. He's got the worst job out of all of them, dealing with hot heads on the forums.

Sorry, but his tone was. He as always didn't hear what people said and went all "FINE, MOVING ON." The way this was done was downright insulting, and I happen to feel insulted.

Is it safe to buy from CM?

I dont wanna spend CC and get nothing or something like that.

Just tested that. Purchase went fine, stuff transferred and got set in one of my SHs. Deco UI is working fine.

Fingers crossed it stays this way and now I'll try sleeping again. Good luck.

@The whole code ordeal.

It would be better if this was reserved for intended downtimes, rather than unintended maintenance, because in case of the latter, we all feel owed some measure of compensation for our game time lost during this period of frustration. While the entirety of the community; not only those who lurk on the forums, are already losing out. It's not really a good way to pass the time either, a copy & paste code grab benefits the faster clickers, those with better internet and so forth, which severely limits the number of players who will gain from this. Instead, maybe pose questions during down time and PM the code to whomsoever answers correctly.

All SWTOR servers are once again available. Get in there, friends, and thank you for your patience today.

-eric

Perhaps another full week of 2x XP/CXP/WZ etc as a recompense for the X prime time loss during the event? I mean, We couldn't exactly make the most out of it. That and maybe, just maybe, leaving the Daily CXP patch until the week after as well? What do you say, Eric? :D

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by EricMusco

Well. Haven't played in a few years, a friend scored some free subscription time codes so he gave one to me and said "let's go check out SWtoR again" and this is what we find.

Thanks for including alternatives for game time than subscriptions.

Edited by Arlanon

He tried to keep the crowd calm and it backfired. And he went huffy when people were not sufficiently grateful. I'll grant that he maybe didn't mean to come over like that, but it sure was not handled well.

Maybe it is the way you are perceiving it considering he just typed it. I did not perceive it as huffy but then again I wasn't throwing a tantrum about something either. When people type and you don't talk to them, the way it is perceived is on how you want to perceive it.

Although we extensively test all of our updates at all stages of the process, the missing parts just caused enough oddball problems, we had to take the game down again to figure out what was going on. In reality, had I been a little more patient, we would have caught the issues beforehand, yet the long downtime would not have been avoided. In addition, not everything we had planned to fix is actually included. For example, we have resolved the exploit with the Umbara Stronghold, but it didn’t make it in the 5.4a patch. Therefore, we have our normal infrastructure maintenance planned for next Wednesday, so our current plan is to deploy the change at that time. We implore you to not participate in this exploit as we don’t want any further disruptions in your game play.

Do I understand that correctly, you didn't get the fix out for what you actually wanted to fix today? Sigh. But no worries, I for one won't use the exploit.

Players lost time today, especially in the EU, is anything being done?

Losing playtime is always painful, especially when there is a “double” event running and Dailies awarding crazy high CXP. I’m kicking around a variety of options with the team, as we want to apologize and reward your patience. Some of you have asked to have our Double XP/CXP event extended and others have asked us to keep the current CXP amounts for the Daily Areas. Others have asked for different compensation, and we’re looking at all options as the last couple weeks have been tough on all of us. We’ll lock down what exactly we’re doing and let you know in the coming days.

Again, thank you all for your patience today.

--Keith- [/color]

The loss of playtime isn't even what I am pissed off about, I have had upgrades blow up on me and know how it can happen. But the tauntaun fawn codes was truly the crowning achievement of disrespect. Let me BUY the damned thing and forget about this whole mess, because truly, I feel done with the way customers are treated here.

Edited by VirtualMorrigan

ANyone else having issues patching now? I get to 87.5% installed and it stalls and does nothing...

Do you have BitRaider disabled? That solves 99% of launcher and game issues for me, and customer support were the ones who suggested it be disabled.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm satisfied with the Dev Teams apology. Still holding out for some compensation other than XP though. I understand that a vast majority of players, especially younger, are very concerned with leveling fast, but personally I enjoy games with slower paced leveling systems. A otherwise unobtainable item, microtranction currency (which I personally do not support in any game, not singling out BW / EA), or even an extended sub would all be options that I would find beneficial. But I do understand that a lot fo other players would like to see the lost XP corrected, so if that is the line of action taken it's understandable. As a fellow web developer/software engineer, thank you for clarifying the issue, the length of the maintenence makes a lot more sense now. Cheers, Dan

Do you have BitRaider disabled? That solves 99% of launcher and game issues for me, and customer support were the ones who suggested it be disabled.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

No i dont, but i did reboot computer and now it seems to be working, thanks!