Vanguard dps build

iKelso

While lvling, it does not really matter. When you hit 50, try to get crit up to around 32% first, before working on any other stats. It really doesn't matter for the order in which you get them. It mostly comes down to how close you can keep the stats in their respective priority. Edited by PanzerJagdhund

• 3 weeks later...

I'm kind of curious have people tried running a build like this for PvE. My main spec is tank, so when I do dailies I switch to a dps build. My dps equipment is mostly columi some rakata, but that actually goes on my companion, so I use the PvP dps equipment that I've grinded out since I've switched to DPS in PvP. So I just wanted to preface the commentary on what I think is based on the fact that I have the 4 piece bonus from the Eliminator set, which gives +15% critical rate to HIB.

I was thinking about trying some of the hybrid builds I've seen people use, which I'm normally not a huge fan of.

The only conclusion I can get is that HIB has a much more stable damage wise when it hits. The damage on a critical hit is smaller compared to a build like this but on the other hand I'm almost always able to get a critical hit on HIB, the chance of a non-critical hit is something like one out of every four or five. The rotation is a little different from what most people are probably used to because you need to use stock strike and gut for the free critical and use ion pulse and stock strike for the ionic accelerator. The other nice thing about the build is that you get free stock strikes every now and then.

So I'm curious if anyone else has tried this kind of stuff or not, and also what the rest of the vanguard community thinks about this sort of thing.

I was just curious if anyone's tried anything like this, and what people think of it in general.

I am tossing up playing one of these two builds once I get to 50

DPS

Tankier

Admittedly these two will be for PVP. I am of two minds and I think I will only settle on one once I play both a few times.

I would not recommend doing your second build because you don't benefit from Neural Overload, Ion Overload, Ion Shield, and Supercharged Ion Cell without having Ion Cell on, and you don't benefit from Ionic Accelerator, Ionized Ignition, High Friction Bolts, and Sweltering Heat without Plasma Cell on.

Either way the moment you put a cell on, you lose some of the abilities in Assault or Shield. The other thing is Shield based abilities like Shield Cycler, and Ceramic plating won't work without a shield equipped, so you also lose some damage as a dps, I know you said it's tankier, and if you want to have a shield equipped that works fine, but with a shield equipped and Ion Cell you pretty much can't benefit from anything in the assault tree except for Degauss, Heavy Stock, Parallactic Combat Stims, and Incindiary Round.

If you have plasma cell up, with a shield you only benefit from Intimidation, Brutal Impact, Steely Resolve, Ceramic Plating, Shield Cycler, Defensive Measures and Storm.

It's because of this I haven't even bothered trying out a hybrid build build not using the tactics tree, because at least with the tactics tree you can get up high into it without putting points into abilities that require you to have High Energy Cell on.

side note: Shield Cycler is only useful if you have a high shield chance. With 50% shield chance it's only a 25% chance of giving you +1 ammo. If you're not wearing any tank gear, that means with Ion Cell on, your shield chance would be 20%, which would yield a 10% chance of +1 ammo, and of course this only applies to Kinetic or Energy damage.

Edited by unluckyperson
put in the side note

I am tossing up playing one of these two builds once I get to 50

DPS

Tankier

Admittedly these two will be for PVP. I am of two minds and I think I will only settle on one once I play both a few times.

I've tried all sorts of builds, even some home-made brews, and i find that while the damage is nice, I have ammo managing problems with the tactics/assault hybrids. With the "tankier" spec you're going to have to give up a lot for the Storm ability and it's usually not worth it. I personally pvp enough that I just have 2 armor sets and will switch specs depending on my mood as I don't like some of the sacrifices you have to make to be a hybrid. I feel the way they designed the trees it's really all or nothing to get the good stuff.

But it's really all moot since we will get redesigned trees in like a month, so don't lose any sleep:D

Edited by Wishiwasanoob

So you are saying you would prefer a tankier PVP build of something like this?

If you're talking to me, given the choice between Storm and Combat Tactics, I'd rather have Storm. I did try something similar to that at one point and I stopped using it, I don't really remember why.

As Wishiwasanoob pointed out the game really doesn't reward vanguards very much for going hybrids unless if it's combined with the tactics tree because of how you have to use Ion Cell for a lot of shield abilities to work, or you have to use Plasma Cell for a lot of Assault abilities to work. Tactics though only has Battlefield Training and Cell Generator that rely on the High Energy Cell.

I've tried all sorts of builds, even some home-made brews, and i find that while the damage is nice, I have ammo managing problems with the tactics/assault hybrids.

I must ask how do you have ammo management problems? the build that sort of started this discussion was when I asked if anyone had tried this for PvE, which it has free Stock Strikes and High Impact Bolts

Edited by unluckyperson

So you are saying you would prefer a tankier PVP build of something like this?

If you want a little bit tankier PvP build, I might recommend something akin to the old Iron Fist build. Even though it was neutered pretty bad with 1.3, it's still fun to play and how I roll when I PvP with my Vanguard. You can put up decent (IMO) damage while still being an excellent guard.