Lucas says he won't make more Star Wars movies

Dire-Wolf

Good for him, personally i'd be sick of the fans too here he gives a universe to people and how do they repay him? They scream in his face and tell him he did it all wrong, and how he is a loser. Hell if I was him I would take back all of what I made, I wouldn't let people tell me what I can and cannot do with the franchise I created. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Good for him, personally i'd be sick of the fans too here he gives a universe to people and how do they repay him? They scream in his face and tell him he did it all wrong, and how he is a loser. Hell if I was him I would take back all of what I made, I wouldn't let people tell me what I can and cannot do with the franchise I created.

Honestly one can make the argument that he's doing exactly that.

Fans: Lucas needs to quit. He's a hack and should stay away from Star Wars.

Lucas: My fans think I'm a hack and should stay away from star wars. So I won't make anymore movies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=4&pagewanted=3&hpw

TLDR

He's sick of fans insulting him and telling him how to do his job so he's not going to bother making any new Star Wars films.

Thoughts?

What he says now and what happens years from now are two different things. :D

If he gets the inspiration to do another set of movies for the franchise or re-edit the current ones. he will do so. Alot of people will complain, but still go and watch them anyways.

I have one - and only one - gripe in regards to the special editions.

It's not that he keeps tinkering with the movies and it's not that he has made multiple special editions. He can make a hundred more for all I care.

It's that he has effectively erased the original from existence in the modern medium. You can't get the Star Wars you grew up with on Blu Ray. You can't get it through any legal digital means.

The original Star Wars is a major part of film history. It literally changed the way movies are made. And he has removed it.

The originals should have been part of the Blu Ray release. If he had done that, I would have absolutely no complaints.

He calls these movies the "Special Editions" but that's a misnomer. They are very literally "Replacement Editions."

I have one - and only one - gripe in regards to the special editions.

It's not that he keeps tinkering with the movies and it's not that he has made multiple special editions. He can make a hundred more for all I care.

It's that he has effectively erased the original from existence in the modern medium. You can't get the Star Wars you grew up with on Blu Ray. You can't get it through any legal digital means.

The original Star Wars is a major part of film history. It literally changed the way movies are made. And he has removed it.

The originals should have been part of the Blu Ray release. If he had done that, I would have absolutely no complaints.

He calls these movies the "Special Editions" but that's a misnomer. They are very literally "Replacement Editions."

QFT this is exactly how i feel about it to :D

Maybe if he'd stop editing the original films people would stop blasting him. I'm glad he doesn't want to make any more movies. Let more creative people build on the star wars franchise.

Lets hope that happens but I first have to read a good Comic from Dark Horse, maybe if they actually make an original story that goes on for more than 4-5 issues.

GL might own SW, but he doesn't own ESB or ROTJ...they were 'directed' by someone else! He's tinkering with films that don't belong to him!

And the fans hate him so much, for one reason : give us the original '77, '80 and '83 versions of the films, in HD and we'll leave you alone.

It'd be great if he let someone else write and direct some New Jedi Order films. He won't, but it'd be nice. Lucas created something amazing with the original trilogy, but he also showed an inability to write without gaping plot holes and inexplicable plot disconnects with the prequel trilogy.

He's a fantastic person with an amazing imagination. He's also a terrible writer.

Edited by shamrockjew

I've heard that the reason the original trilogy was so great was due in large part because there were a ton of people telling Lucas not to do things he wanted to do. Someone else wrote the scripts, another person produced the movie, etc. If I'm not mistaken he wasn't even the director, though he got credit for directing the movie.

I'd love to see more Star Wars movies but not with George Lucas in complete control and certainly not if he writes the scripts again. The Prequel Trilogy had some of the worst script writing and plot holes I've seen in a movie recently, and that includes having seen the movie Season of the Witch.

All that being said, I hope that he changes his mind because I'd rather see more Star Wars than no Star Wars, even with Lucas at the helm. He just needs to get off his high horse, realize that he isn't a movie making god, get some competent writers and directors, and take some constructive criticism. He started a great series but also showed that he knows how to drive it into the mud, IMO.

Agreed. Give someone else those jobs. He needs to stick with doing CGI which he's good at. Let someone else make all the big decisions. It's still his company so his name is still on it, but just be the bigger man and step aside and let someone else make the big decisions.

I may not agree with everything he's done but I'll still be sad to see him leave the universe he created before I was born. The universe that I grew up completely enthralled by. The universe that I want to contribute to in the future.

If he ends that universe... well my life will quite frankly... suck a lot of ***.

Good. Maybe he can continue to fix the rest of the glaring issues with the original trilogy, and make it better like he has been.

Not sure how they would redo it, but they could re-record Han's "I know" line in Empire to be what it was originally supposed to be. Also, replace the stupid puppet Yoda with the CG Yoda, which was miles more realistic.