Lag Spikes

Czenabog

Any steps or tips on how to correct lag spikes?

The game can seemingly run smooth, as it does most of the time, but then I hit these lag spikes that get me killed more than I'd like... I know there's A LOT of steps that could correct this and some pricey but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Most "lag" isn't lag as you work normally think (internet connection / ping) but is really realted to your video card. If you turn your setting on low (assuming they are not there already), you'll see what I mean. CTRL-SHIFT-F will display your FPS. When you see "lag" you'll see your FPS drop like a rock.

The Customer Service forum has tons of threads on the topic

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Edited by Owsley

Most "lag" isn't lag as you work normally think (internet connection / ping) but is really realted to your video card. If you turn your setting on low (assuming they are not there already), you'll see what I mean. CTRL-SHIFT-F will display your FPS. When you see "lag" you'll see your FPS drop like a rock.

The Customer Service forum has tons of threads on the topic

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11

I agree. I was getting these "lag" spikes too, but I knew my internet was good. The thing that totally fixed my problem was that I turned shadows off, by going through the preferences menu. This ended all those spikes and now I play normally, sadly when I die now I can't blame it on lag spike :(

• 2 months later...
Ive had this game since launch and it had run fine. Even on wifi it was running ok. I stopped playing for a little while, I think around easter time was when I last played. I just went to play again last week and had to massivley update the game. Now the HUD is all different and I'm getting the lagg spikes that I never got before. It'll run at 30 -60 no problem then all of a sudden skyrocket to like 6000 for about ten seconds or so then go back to normal.

As above, set everything to low or off.

For me, it was a combination modem incompatability (even though compatible on the company website, it was not compatable locally*comcast*) and outside line degridation. It'll take a bit of cajoling to get them out to check the lines though.

• 2 weeks later...
One other thing. If your HDD has power saver mode, you'll want to turn it off. Usually this requires going to your BIOS on startup and checking the HDD settings. Sometimes it is a setting in your Windows Power Saver mode.