Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people are at work, yes - When people are off On Christmas Holidays, its not off-peak :) I guess thats a bit hard to grasp tho.

Not really, I'm at work right now so it doesn't bother me one bit that the servers are down, I just hate people thinking they are entitled to not have any interruption when it's to fix some issues that other people are complaining about.

I suspect the epic failure wasn't about not considering time zones (Tuesday 1000-1600 GMT would be fine normally, since most people would be at work/school) but about failing to notice that different countries have different holidays. It's a public holiday over here (in the UK, at least), and for many people who got the game for Christmas it's likely to be their first chance to try it out after a couple of days with family. It's not exactly going to give them a good impression, especially if they're new to the genre, as many probably are.

My family live 2500 miles away, though (:(), and I've been able to play for the last couple of days, so any excuse for another six hours in the pub is fine with me (:D)...

This is just a joke, its a holiday and people want to play for a service they are paying for and so far it has been down all day. How can Bioware need nearly a whole day's maintenance when the site has only been live to the public for a week.

Absolute joke

Actually, the good thing about today's maintenace for me - I got to watch the Christmas TV I missed because I was too busy playing.

You hear that Bioware? I put TOR before Christmas Dr Who - if that's not a testament to how much I love this game, I don't know what is ;)

10am to 4pm on a public holiday is not off peak.

This argument is pointless. This is a discussion for long-term maintenance.

Christmas is one week. Out of 52.

If you don't have something better to do on Christmas break than play SWTOR - then you need to get your priorities in order.

It's been a while since I've played an MMO and I've really enjoyed SWTOR so far. But oh how I haven't missed seeing the same group of whinny entitlement mentality Europeans complaining like little girls over maintenance times. :rolleyes:

No wonder they close your threads you're all a bunch of cry babies ... and you're not polite about it either .... come on guys it's just a game get over it it's one day OH NO NOT ONE DAY! ... get over it .... don't like it find another game Edited by lekthl

Yes. That's the service we pay for... minimum disruption.

What about the disruption of Rift, or WoW or EQ or any of the downtime they have for maint?

Last time I looked, WoW is down...oh gee, the same time that SWTOR is down as well, imagine that.

/Signed

It's a Shame, this world has got 24 time zones not only one (or 3 ones). And we're paying the same membership fee than the american customers.

And Here I'm, on christmass holydays and with the servers down in the middle of my free of work day.

/clap

Keep doing this and you'll not care about EU customers anymore.

yes very long maintenances and very bad time :mad:

you can not play practically all day :(

And 6 hours every weeks?

I hope that at least fix the most serious errors

graphic bugs in some locations is very bad.green and blue lines across screens.Fps is very low

constant errors and problems with the Companions (for example, lifts)

stack items in the vault. When inserting new things, one must manually all on stock.

For instance planet Taris with a very powerful systems running virtually unplayable due to graphical errors

and many many more what i see :(

I doubt it's as bad as you claim, if I can't play my Main or Main-Alt on my home server I won't bother playing.

And i've noticed a few comments from American players claiming that it's ridiculous the Europeans are so annoyed about it. It's barely ridiculous, we pay the same fees as you do except you get your maintenance time when the normal person is asleep (4am-10am I believe?) and we get ours when everyone is awake (10am-4pm). That's ridiculous, and definitely needs changing.

Well the estimated one. Cause with timezones i am not that great. I ll just w8 a bit more and we see :D

All game servers and SWTOR.com will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than six hours, but could be extended.

• Dev Post

While today is still classed as a holiday in many parts of Europe and many of you may still be off work or school, this downtime slot was chosen for a number of reasons.

Firstly, in the past, we've talked on a number of occasions about how we will run a global service. Many players raised concerns that patches/updates would land later in the EU than in the US. We stated that as we're running a global service, we'll do everything we can to make sure the updates go live in both regions as close together as possible. For this to be achievable, we need to run maintenance at the same time.

Secondly, although many of you are able to play at this time, this is actually one of the times in the day (and the week) when we have the lowest number of players in game. It's certainly far from peak. Given that many of you are still on holiday, today's maintenance may feel a bit more out of place than usual, but in the future, the number of users impacted will be even smaller.

Finally it's also worth noting that today's downtime was a little longer than usual and in the future, shouldn't be the case.

So hopefully that's gone some way in shedding a light on the reasons as to why we've chosen this slot.

If BioWare created separate maintenance times for EU and US, then they would be REQUIRED to make another change:

- NA and EU servers must be hard-locked to a regional client.

Because right now, EU players are free to play on NA servers whenever they want, and vice versa. So:

- EU Servers go down for maintenance. EU Players that want to keep playing, bum-rush the NA servers causing population imbalance and stability nightmare.

- US Servers go down for maintenance. US Players that want to keep playing, bum-rush the EU servers causing population imbalance and stability nightmare.

No. I disagree with you. A vast majority of people would be asleep during these times, and therefor there would be no rush.

If BioWare created separate maintenance times for EU and US, then they would be REQUIRED to make another change:

- NA and EU servers must be hard-locked to a regional client.

Because right now, EU players are free to play on NA servers whenever they want, and vice versa. So:

- EU Servers go down for maintenance. EU Players that want to keep playing, bum-rush the NA servers causing population imbalance and stability nightmare.

- US Servers go down for maintenance. US Players that want to keep playing, bum-rush the EU servers causing population imbalance and stability nightmare.

and Also we was asked back in 2008, if want to be able to play on what ever server we wanted, so they need to do this make that happen.

meh...why not?

As a US player it doesn't really affect me though it could have a potential benefit...EU servers would go down first and any patches that are applied would hit EU first making you guys the guinea pigs for patches. Which = Smoother experience for US Players. Fine by me.

But I see a major problem with your plan. There's no distinction made when connecting to the launcher what servers you play on. They may route you to patching servers closer to your region, but you may be a EU player playing on US servers, or a US player playing on EU servers, and you can switch at any time if you want. So if a patch is applied, how are you supposed to switch servers if you have a newer version of the client? Not saying it isn't possible to do it...I just think that it's more complex than you think.

All in all, calm down, be patient.... and remember.... they're just pixels.

I'm sorry, but they're not. It's a paid for service. The EU'ers have had to pay extra for both the game box, and the sub, due to currency exchange, but are then tied to the US Time-frame for the service to be provided. As has been mentioned before, this is an issue that does not occur in most other MMOs, be they AAA, or cheaper, Region Locked or Region Free.

It's a small issue that will have a vast impact on quality of life for EU subbers: all of whom are paying customers, no different from the US subbers. It would be annoying if maintenance continued to be mid-day, but there would be LESS EU complaints if the US received separate maintenance during THEIR mid-day, too. Right now, the situation is imbalanced in favour of the US, despite the fact we are -all- paying customers meaning that imbalance should not occur.

Ultimately, it's not about the pixels, it's about the inequality.

You as a native English speaker should know the meaning of the word racist.

Thank you for proving my point.... yet again another racist statement. But yes I would understand the meaning of the word racist, as I have quite a mix of human beings in my family as well as having differences myself. I, as well as some of my family members have had to deal with diversity and struggle. Please get off your soap box.

I am so tired of the whiney EU players complaining about their game time interuptions. Every MMO we see the same thing.

The folks running this game have lives, and work normal hours. They come into the office, do the work on their normal working hours.

It has very little to do with what time the EU players or US player prefer to have it done.

Screw the rest of the world and the Bioware employees who have to do the work...right?

You realise us EU players actually play more to play, right?

Our subscription rates are higher, as are paid timecards.

Euro>Dollar.

And well, part of Biowares work *is* to ensure optimal downtime periods for all players, not just their Americans. Not only Europeans are on the bad end of this deal, just ask Oceanic, or basically any other part of the world that isn't the U.S.