Ask Elrathion

Elrathion

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Elrathion!

Do you lose alot of DPS if you go the defense route? I just find soloing I take alot of damage. Whereas in a group I'm completely fine. (I don't really die alot I just find the incoming damage quite high.)

What do you think?

Thanks Elrathion!

Do you lose alot of DPS if you go the defense route? I just find soloing I take alot of damage. Whereas in a group I'm completely fine. (I don't really die alot I just find the incoming damage quite high.)

What do you think?

the defensive tk spec is slightly lower damage, but still very much capable of setting up a good burst. Difference is that you can spotheal when need calls for it

Hey Elrathion!

I'm a PvP sage (and I don't care PvR) with 3/7/31 typical spec, how much alacrity i need? Do I have to reach a 5%?

Thank you very much for this thread :)

my suggestion would be to get your surge to the point where it's no longer interesting to stack, which is around 72-75%, and after that your alacrity will result naturally :p So don't worry about getting it; you can't get around it anyway

Hey Elrathion, I decided to make a new pvp video with the 0-20-21 specc and also one with a more pve friendly 0-13-28 specc. I hope its okay that I mention your thread in them, as I have recieved great help in my way of playing a jedi sage by reading your posts.

Best wishes

Sin

There are several options for the build you ask for, a very good one is 21-2-18. Any build now where you do damage and dps will severely screw over your heal output now. Before I went 27-0-14 and I was able to put sick heals and constant dps through, but i guess those days are gone :p

Anyone using the 21-2-18? Can you provide a link to it? I'm still levelling and I'd like to keep my build balanced between healing and damage for the moment. When I hit 50, then I'll probably pick a less balanced build.

Hey Elrathion, I decided to make a new pvp video with the 0-20-21 specc and also one with a more pve friendly 0-13-28 specc. I hope its okay that I mention your thread in them, as I have recieved great help in my way of playing a jedi sage by reading your posts.

Best wishes

Sin

Ur videos were very useful :)

I tried both out and I found something: in sufficiently organized games, 0-12-29 (i'm running it with sever force) works better than 0-20-21

In more serious games or very disorganized games where survival is necessary, 0-20-21 works a lot better... you can't dish out as much dps but you survive longer, and keeps the team busy with trying to hunt you down...

So I had to conclude 0-20-21 is the most viable build now

Best wishes

Sin

I leveled as hybrid, reached 7x as hybrid and have been playing 0/20/21 since 1.2 hit. Affliction/Weaken Mind needs 100% uptime as long as a target is in range -that is being attacked. Whirlwind/Force Lift on CD as much as possible -though in PuG's they seem to only attack what I CC. Recklessness/Force Potency when Barrage/Psychic Projection procs -does not use the stacks and you can double dip the cast.

I see that you, like myself, has gotten more cocky with better gear, allowing players to get in melee range and tanking some damage. Its a bad habit I am trying to break because PuG play has made me lazy. As soon as you face any competent setup they will make you pay if you play that cocky.

Ur videos were very useful :)

I tried both out and I found something: in sufficiently organized games, 0-12-29 (i'm running it with sever force) works better than 0-20-21

Good to know :) But Im a bit curious on how you get sever force with 29 points in balance...

And yeah.. I have become a bit more cocky in warzones.. Its a bad habit..

Haha :> I think alot of sages suffered from that disease ;>

I remember when they drew a comparison between me and another great sage at our server, they said that I just stood there ****** people not caring about the distance in between, whereas my friend took the spot never to die.

This worked really well for me cse I knew how to survive, but as premades of 3-4 sith warriors became the norm on my server [or substitute with pyrotech], I've had to go more trowards picking the safe spots too. The downside of the safe spots is that you can't always play as objective based as you would want, but the good thing is alot of people think they can beat you and waste their precious time :p

Hey Elrathion (and any other sage willing to criticize this build)!

As most 0-13-28 hybrid sages here, I've tried a couple builds and came up with this :

7/6/28

I traded some of the utility skills in the TK branch for the healing and aoe bonus of the seer branch. Now I heal myself more often, I am also oof way more often but my offensive spells do a lot more damage and FiB hits like a truck (up to 3.5k with no buff).

I kept being among the best damage dealers in any WZ I played and earned most medals. The survivability I lost from the TK talents is really balanced by the uber heals (5k-ish) and the damage done, to the point that I can take on an average marauder 1v1 without breaking a sweat.

My Sage is rank 64 with a mix of Champion and BM gear. I have replaced my BM saber's cristal with the +41 expertise from the pre-order vendor.

So, what do you think?

Hey!

I respecced and finaly went for a 3/7/31 (3pts in penetrating light in the seer tree). I agree with what you said before, the ultimate skiil in the balance tree is awesome. I guess you just have to get used to the new impact of expertise, but sages are still viable!

Hi Elrathion,

I come to you for help again, this time while in a very depressed state of mind.

Last game we met 3 maras and to be honest, that's all the classes I remember. I dont remember any other classes. Why? Because 3 of them, seemingly on vent or something, are coordinating their CCs and strikes, and one by one takes down my entire team each in mere seconds. As a Sage I'm thankful I lasted 5 seconds, some lasted 3.

I know these are pub teams and I shouldnt expect a lot out of my team, but I refuse to believe that such a match would end me up in a less than 5 seconds situation in EVERY battle I have with them. This includes dumping stims, defense relics, med packs and everythig possible. What could I be doing wrong? I die even before I can get a stun out, or a CC out half the time... My health bar is either 0 or full at any one time (an exaggeration)

(Not to hijack the thread, but thought I'd offer some advice.)

Sentinels and marauders are good about closing the gap on Sages. But what they hate more then anything is Line of Sight. Run around a pillar, use a building, fight on top of a pillar, and use knockbacks right after they force leap.

The trick to beating Sentinels and Marauders is to not let them get to you. Hit them with slows, stuns, knockbacks.

My second bit of advice is to see which people do well in losing Warzones. That's right, losing Warzones. If they do well that means that you don't need to carry them. Talk to these people after the losing matches and ask them to group up and queue together.

This will vastly improve your PvP experience, and I recommend going with a normal party configuration. 1 healer, 1 tank, and 2 dps.

When I queue my group of choice is 1 sentinel/marauder, 1 sage/sorcerer healer, 1 shadow/assassin tank, and either a melee based agent/scoundrel for an extra stealth in your party. Stealth is such an invaluable tool for catching the enemy offguard that I like to run with 2 in my party and it's helped for capturing nearly any points, as well as for shadows pull based abilities and massive healing for their tank specs. Toss in the ability to instantly vanish and they can save a single capture point, or take it over before anyone realizes.

Edited by Edgedy

Hey!

I respecced and finaly went for a 3/7/31 (3pts in penetrating light in the seer tree). I agree with what you said before, the ultimate skiil in the balance tree is awesome. I guess you just have to get used to the new impact of expertise, but sages are still viable!

glad you liked it ;>

Hi Elrathion,

I come to you for help again, this time while in a very depressed state of mind.

Last game we met 3 maras and to be honest, that's all the classes I remember. I dont remember any other classes. Why? Because 3 of them, seemingly on vent or something, are coordinating their CCs and strikes, and one by one takes down my entire team each in mere seconds. As a Sage I'm thankful I lasted 5 seconds, some lasted 3.

I know these are pub teams and I shouldnt expect a lot out of my team, but I refuse to believe that such a match would end me up in a less than 5 seconds situation in EVERY battle I have with them. This includes dumping stims, defense relics, med packs and everythig possible. What could I be doing wrong? I die even before I can get a stun out, or a CC out half the time... My health bar is either 0 or full at any one time (an exaggeration)

To be frank, ofcourse if you're going to run against a premade including several warrior type classes, it's going to be hard. Imagine you'd play against 3 operatives jumping you, you'd be dead instantly.

Now vs these warriors you have a good chance, but it depends on the map you play. Civil War if you play mid stand at the forks upstairs and dps down, they can't do **** vs you there. If they come up, you knock em back down and slow them ranged. Fake jump down and they'll jump down often too. Np

If you're on Hutball, stand on the bridges, if they come up, knock em down.

If you're on novare cost or voidstar, you'll basically have to rely on good team coordination and always having your bubble up premeditated.

I've seen my fair share of these games myself, and while I'll admit it's the most anoying thing anyone can imagine, the good part is that they often lose these games. Simply make them work for their money by luring them away from the objective and presenting an easy kill. Then cc maximally, insta lift and force wake.keep them from objectives, you'll win easily like this.

Salutations,

Do you know the caps or when diminishing returns start to happen for Crit/Surge and Force/Force Power.

I'm a seer spec with currently:

Bonus Healing - [PVP] 486.5 - [PVE] 518.3

Crit Chance - [PVP] 36.85% - [PVE] 37.06%

Crit Multiplier - [PVP] 56.67% - [PVE] 62.9%

--------

Power - [PVP] 288 - [PVE] 303

Force Power - [PVP] 1161 - [PVE] 1161

Crit Rating - [PVP] 359 - [PVE] 329

Surge Rating -[PVP] 34 - [PVE] 82

Basically I'm finally upgrading the crystal in my saber and I'm wonder if i should go for the +41 critical rating or the +41 power crystal.

Edited by PacificaSolaria

Hey Elrathion,

I was wondering what spec you've been running in premades these days. I've been playing an aggressive 3/7/31(3 in clamoring force) and can reliably burst for around 8.5k (FiB, Project and Mind Crush) with stalker 4peice force potency and power adrenal/relic, not including dot damage (I'm in full bm +augmented WH chest/boots). I tend not to mind force management issues because between all my passive self healing and the rakata medpac I feel comfortable using noble sacrifice in a pinch. Have you noticed a hybrid or tele spec that can put out heavy burst while maintaining decent sustained damage and cc? I played full tele for a while, but I essentially felt like I was playing a hybrid healer/dps who was heavily cooldown dependent to excel at either, and while disturbance isn't terrible, it's simply not as good. Not to mention I really felt the loss of instant lift in skirmishes.

Secondly, I was wondering about your take on professions. I was considering going cybertech for extra aoe cc effects, but it's hard for me to justify the loss of my adrenal/medpac/stim. Yes I know I can get persisting blue stims and warzone medpacs, but since it's a bit of a hassle to switch my professions back and forth I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. Thanks for this thread btw, it's the most productive one I've seen on the forums.

Hey Elrathion, I recently turned 50 currently running http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600hZf00MZcMfRsMkrfz.1 not sure if I would be better off with a hybrid spec of some kind?

Also not sure which gear to go for, I was thinking 2 parts force mystic for the shield lockout bonus and 3 parts force master. What would be your take on that?

Firstoff, I don't think it's optimal under any spec to not run at least with -0.5s cast time on deliverance. If you wanna die, go right ahead, but I don't ;> If you wanna keep balance then please either take 2 points away from crit into the heal reduction OR go 5-5-31.

Secondly, I personally enjoy hybrid alot cse of my playstyle. I like to be on the move, swap between healing and dps'ing, exercising maximum control with minimum downtime. As soon as you go any full spec you need to comprimise. Full balance means downtime (resting for mana) and less CC.

I know you can play conservative with your mana, but your dps will feel it too then :p Hybrid eliminates the need for mana conservation, and adds the motherload of cc/interrupt ability, while sacrifising a bit overall damage.

I would say look at your playstyle and make your final decission.

As for the gear, the gear selection you propose is a typical choice of most sages. However, personally I prefer to get force potency stalker set bonus. It's just an ability that i use almost every cooldown, and that extra heal crit can save a life, or that extra damage crit can finish someone before he finishes you ;> You could say the same about the -3s on lockout on barrier, BUT in my personal experience I love the force potency way more.

Hey Elrathion,

I was wondering what spec you've been running in premades these days. I've been playing an aggressive 3/7/31(3 in clamoring force) and can reliably burst for around 8.5k (FiB, Project and Mind Crush) with stalker 4peice force potency and power adrenal/relic, not including dot damage (I'm in full bm +augmented WH chest/boots). I tend not to mind force management issues because between all my passive self healing and the rakata medpac I feel comfortable using noble sacrifice in a pinch. Have you noticed a hybrid or tele spec that can put out heavy burst while maintaining decent sustained damage and cc? I played full tele for a while, but I essentially felt like I was playing a hybrid healer/dps who was heavily cooldown dependent to excel at either, and while disturbance isn't terrible, it's simply not as good. Not to mention I really felt the loss of instant lift in skirmishes.

Secondly, I was wondering about your take on professions. I was considering going cybertech for extra aoe cc effects, but it's hard for me to justify the loss of my adrenal/medpac/stim. Yes I know I can get persisting blue stims and warzone medpacs, but since it's a bit of a hassle to switch my professions back and forth I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. Thanks for this thread btw, it's the most productive one I've seen on the forums.

Hey, atm I just dinged my operative 50, so I'm trying to get him some gear :p

I'm running 0-20-21 ;> I know it's completely against my principles of not having the deliverance reduction, but atm I feel I survive enough without it ^^

Full Tele I would only run in the heal variant [8-33], I didn't like the full dps variant because I felt too few survivability.

As far as professions go, I'm a biochem man. You can buy the grenades from the auction house and use them [GTN], Allthough I have to say i'm tempted to switch so I can craft my own augment gear. Lets be honest the pvp potions are WAAAY beter then the rakata stim, and now that it's cd is 1.5 min, it's only use which is left is that it's free. But once you got your own warhero gear, the only point is the stim. And if you can buy the stims, then what use biochem serves? :S [i'm running my mind here, I haven't decided a 100% yet]

Salutations,

Do you know the caps or when diminishing returns start to happen for Crit/Surge and Force/Force Power.

I'm a seer spec with currently:

Bonus Healing - [PVP] 486.5 - [PVE] 518.3

Crit Chance - [PVP] 36.85% - [PVE] 37.06%

Crit Multiplier - [PVP] 56.67% - [PVE] 62.9%

--------

Power - [PVP] 288 - [PVE] 303

Force Power - [PVP] 1161 - [PVE] 1161

Crit Rating - [PVP] 359 - [PVE] 329

Surge Rating -[PVP] 34 - [PVE] 82

Basically I'm finally upgrading the crystal in my saber and I'm wonder if i should go for the +41 critical rating or the +41 power crystal.

Go for the +41 expertise crystal ;> Second choice power.

There is no DR for power.

Willpower/Power > Surge > Crit > Alacrity is the base priority

Crit has a fairly high base amount to get another 1% bonus (22.5) and the cap threshold at 30%

For surge, I would quit anywhere between 72-75%. Stacking higher is not wise.

Basic gist

Get your surge to 75 --> fill with power/alacrity or crit/alacrity.

Firstoff, I don't think it's optimal under any spec to not run at least with -0.5s cast time on deliverance. If you wanna die, go right ahead, but I don't ;> If you wanna keep balance then please either take 2 points away from crit into the heal reduction OR go 5-5-31.

Secondly, I personally enjoy hybrid alot cse of my playstyle. I like to be on the move, swap between healing and dps'ing, exercising maximum control with minimum downtime. As soon as you go any full spec you need to comprimise. Full balance means downtime (resting for mana) and less CC.

I know you can play conservative with your mana, but your dps will feel it too then :p Hybrid eliminates the need for mana conservation, and adds the motherload of cc/interrupt ability, while sacrifising a bit overall damage.

I would say look at your playstyle and make your final decission.

As for the gear, the gear selection you propose is a typical choice of most sages. However, personally I prefer to get force potency stalker set bonus. It's just an ability that i use almost every cooldown, and that extra heal crit can save a life, or that extra damage crit can finish someone before he finishes you ;> You could say the same about the -3s on lockout on barrier, BUT in my personal experience I love the force potency way more.

Which hybrid spec would you say is better? I'm assuming tele/seer because that seems to have the most control plus the 5 second root on force wave looks pretty good.

Thanks for the info btw :D.

Edited by RTCBrad