Gearing in hard modes

Is there any better gear to start doing Hard modes than PVP Champion gear?

That is not Operation or Hard mode reward gear.

The best stuff you have access to are champion/battlemaster PvP gears, the rataka ears/implants and mods from daily commendations, the armorings/mods/enhancements you get from doing the daily quests, and the occasional purple drops from those quests.

Anything beyond that you need to do hard mode/operations. Just getting those make a fairly huge difference.

The best stuff you have access to are champion/battlemaster PvP gears, the rataka ears/implants and mods from daily commendations, the armorings/mods/enhancements you get from doing the daily quests, and the occasional purple drops from those quests.

Anything beyond that you need to do hard mode/operations. Just getting those make a fairly huge difference.

Just do the dailies he talked about. You can get a 50 epic mod, armoring and enhancement every day if you do the heroic daily quests on Ilum and Belsavis and can buy hilts/barrels/etc with the commendations pretty quickly. This way you're not rocking PvP stats while trying to do PvE stuff. As a healer, I HATE when I get tanks decked in PvP gear. Just cause it's higher level gear, doesn't mean it helps you survive.

Edited by JuliusMidnight

Just do the dailies he talked about. You can get a 50 epic mod, armoring and enhancement every day if you do the heroic daily quests on Ilum and Belsavis and can buy hilts/barrels/etc with the commendations pretty quickly. This way you're not rocking PvP stats while trying to do PvE stuff. As a healer, I HATE when I get tanks decked in PvP gear. Just cause it's higher level gear, doesn't mean it helps you survive.

This is what I did. I have no idea why people are taking PVP gear into PVE.

Actually champion gear is the best gear you can get outside of columni, which happens to be much more difficult to get. (Before nightmare mode)

Edit - to those of you railing against pvp gear you do realize that the only difference between pvp gear and the equivalent pve gear is the pve gear has more of your main stat plus endurance, right? I would never wear a piece of tionese over champion... ever. And I have tanked hard fps as well as all normal ops.

Edited by Demmok

Actually champion gear is the best gear you can get outside of columni, which happens to be much more difficult to get. (Before nightmare mode)

Edit - to those of you railing against pvp gear you do realize that the only difference between pvp gear and the equivalent pve gear is the pve gear has more of your main stat plus endurance, right? I would never wear a piece of tionese over champion... ever. And I have tanked hard fps as well as all normal ops.

I got my 4-set columi bonus in a week from just hard modes. The final bosses drop tokens.

I got my 4-set columi bonus in a week from just hard modes. The final bosses drop tokens.

I have terrible luck so I have no columi. Champ bags have been more kind to me and given me 3 pieces, which will be replaced as soon as I actually do get my columi.

I know the stats the gear has and that it sorely lacks defense along with every bit of Expertise being completely useless in a PvE setting. There's a little more absorption than Defense, but not much still. If you've tanked that much in it, thank your healer as you made it more painful for him than it needed to be.

Cause WoW lets them do it, so they think it's fine here too, of course. I don't know how much it gimps the damage dealers, but tanks just drop like a rock, that's for sure.

LOL no, they dont, the difference between a piece of champ gear and columi geat same slot is maybe 20 end and 18 aim/str/willpower whatever.

I know the stats the gear has and that it sorely lacks defense along with every bit of Expertise being completely useless in a PvE setting. There's a little more absorption than Defense, but not much still. If you've tanked that much in it, thank your healer as you made it more painful for him than it needed to be.

Expertise costs zero secondary stats so that's a null point. The same level pve gear will have the equivalent defense rating. I'll just be thankful my healer isn't you since you seem to be lacking in the hps area if you can't keep a champion geared tank up.

Expertise costs zero secondary stats so that's a null point. The same level pve gear will have the equivalent defense rating. I'll just be thankful my healer isn't you since you seem to be lacking in the hps area if you can't keep a champion geared tank up.

Except that expertise costs primary stats......

i tank hm's in champion gear and i don't have any issues with it. those 40 extra points from columni gear will not make the difference, ever. plus i have done 2 hardmode's since i became 50 over 1 week, so pvp gear is much easier to get by for me. those 20 tokens i got from the hardmode's won't net me even an earpiece, while the pvp gear is earned in like 3 days if you are lucky.

and before people say go do daily's on ilum or so, i hate pve grinding. im a pvp man...

only reason i do hm dungeon's is for the crafting materials.

Edited by kowlier

First off, the tanks I'm seeing have at best, 2 pvp pieces with Def on them. Most have none at all. That's not equivalent to a PvE geared tank at all.

Second, I am able to keep them up but it is much more difficult than a standard tank. The difference is obvious, nice of you to assume that I'm the one failing here though. Wonderful to always point the blame like that in a hostile way. My point of view comes from comparing tanks I have healed; those with PvP gear, and those with PvE. Funny since the PvE geared ones usually have worse quality gear too, but Def stats make all the difference.