Premades are ruining non-ranked warzones

Monoth

I'm iffy about implementation of a matchmaking system just because of possible adverse effects that it could have on low pvp pop servers. Ex. Jedi Covenant is a very high pop server, but no longer has many notable players online until peak time. If a numeric matchmaking system were to be implemented, I'd be afraid that I'd be sitting in queue for half an hour waiting for 16 of the 30 good players on the server who could achieve a decent rating to log in.

I may actually start underperforming on 1 of my toons just to get reliable pops :p

The way matchmaking works is this...

Say you are rated 100 out of a possible 200... At first it looks for other rank 100 players... if after x amount of time (say 30 seconds) that isn't possible, then it moves to include 90-110 ranked people, then after another minute, moves to 80-120 and so on and so forth.... So even on low PvP pop servers, the games would be there... if there is a split queue, your games would basically be gone...

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm iffy about implementation of a matchmaking system just because of possible adverse effects that it could have on low pvp pop servers. Ex. Jedi Covenant is a very high pop server, but no longer has many notable players online until peak time. If a numeric matchmaking system were to be implemented, I'd be afraid that I'd be sitting in queue for half an hour waiting for 16 of the 30 good players on the server who could achieve a decent rating to log in.

I may actually start underperforming on 1 of my toons just to get reliable pops :p

Very good concerns. Which is why Doom already addressed that exact issue with his group rating buff solution.

Basically, skill plays a factor. So throwing some low teir player into a match with a bunch of mid or high tier players, isn't fair for both sides. So you give them a boost(think bolster). That should even out things in the match and make things go smooth.

That way you can avoid going on your alt and making sure you are in a different bracket all the time. Instead you can play the class you enjoy and still get matches. It's a win-win scenario. I'm honestly surprised more people that are pro-matchmaking aren't shouting this idea to the root. It pretty much fixes everything about balance issues in our current PVP game.

Edit- Probably better if Doom explained it. But what I said, it kind of the basic idea of a solid solution.

Edited by TridusSWTOR

I think enough evidence points to there being advantages for being grouped and using VOIP.

^ QFT .

It's not hard to call out anything in a warzone like incomings, or target star or hilt. Its not terribly hard to see someone beating on a healer that if you help out it increases the chance of bringing that target down. Also if you PvP often enough you will start to notice who the heavy hitters are for both healing and dealing damage so its never a bad idea to use ''acquire targets target" to help with focus fire and help peel for healers so they can do their jobs.

For the sake of clarity I'd like to limit my response to your first suggestion. Consider: versus a group with an established order employing a target-caller, who among eight random players gets to decide who gets to decide who to target? You don't know these 7 other people, which is awesome against another group of randoms, but against a coordinated team calling you out target by target -- who says who gets to call out the targets? How is that decision made? Why are the other random players going to listen to some ******e on the opschat calling out the targets?

OR, whats by far much more common, you get two or three ******es calling out different things.

Even when the 8 solos are really good and all geared and experienced, there are basic coordination problems against a premade. ^ That ^ Really ^ Good ^ Solo ^ Team ^ can overcome them, maybe, there's a chance they can anyhow; but even having all those good solo players is a coincidence.

Group dynamics far outshines skill in Swtor PVP. Premades of lesser skill take the path of least resistance to get their wins in regs. If you want to match apples to apples you got to match premades against premades. Matchmaking is really much the opposite of what it's name implies. BASICALLY, in PVP, you're not even playing the same game without a premade.

Essentially, if your group average rating was 300, you'd be entered into matchmaking as if you had a rating of 400-500 to compensate for added coordination. Same thing games like LoL do if you duo queue in solo queue.

that makes sense to me

you have to be careful with something like that tho, if you have 4 mediocre players grouped, their rating might be artificially boosted too high and they could be matched with players that vastly out skill them.

i think itd be easy enough to minimize the chances of that happening though.

#cycaoformajorityleader

Edited by cashogy_reborn

Let me see if I can get this through your head....

They Implement new matchmaking system...

Everyone's stats are now reset to 0...

From the moment that everyone starts to queue, they have to re-earn their place in the ratings...

This is based off of what you do NOW, not what you did THEN...

This means, wait for it, OMG... ITS NOT BASED OFF OF OLD STATS! /mindblown!

It wil Always be based on old/previous stats...youll have to suffer for mistakes done by some crappy team you happened to end up in...not a good solution. You cant create a good a pvp skill indicator based on previous/old TEAM based stats. It has very Little or nothing at all about YOUR individual preformance in a 8 man team.

I understand you have hard to understand this, but try...even if its hard for a kid like you ;)

It wil Always be based on old/previous stats...youll have to suffer for mistakes done by some crappy team you happened to end up in...not a good solution. You cant create a good a pvp skill indicator based on previous/old TEAM based stats. It has very Little or nothing at all about YOUR individual preformance in a 8 man team.

I understand you have hard to understand this, but try...even if its hard for a kid like you ;)

Have you been sniffing chromosomes again?

"How to be a Dev"

by

Bioware

Chapter One

Try to ignore a problem and hopefully it will go away and you won't have to acknowledge it exists.

Chapter Two

Congradulations! You are now a dev.

The End.

Edited by Comfterbilly

I have basically gotten so sick of PVP in this game thus the whole game itself. One day I just woke up and asked myself, "WHY am I playing an MMO by Electronic Arts?" The answer was, "Don't." So I haven't. Which has been great.

So you are no longer playing this game then.

I think we can chalk this up as a win for everyone.

• 5 weeks later...
It may be my imagination, but it seems to me that PvP is currently suffering from a lack of players. I wonder, has the recent inflow of premades that has resulted from the pending loss of ranked warzones caused solo q'ers to decide to throw in the towel, and just give up on PvP altogether?

It may be my imagination, but it seems to me that PvP is currently suffering from a lack of players. I wonder, has the recent inflow of premades that has resulted from the pending loss of ranked warzones caused solo q'ers to decide to throw in the towel, and just give up on PvP altogether?

i don't know. I would have told you that they're all on the PTS, but I hear PTS Qs are empty. so yeah, I do think there's a bit of a population crisis atm.

fyi: there's always a massive population drop at the end of an xpac/right before a new one. that's sort of what's going on with 2.4, which is basically the second xpac this game has seen. they're not spread out evenly, but 2 xpacs in approximately 2 years.

schools have started up now as well.

and lastly, yes, I do think more ppl left when they saw the 2.4 changes than resubbed. but that's just an impression from the board and my own conversations with others in voice/in game. not exactly a representative sample.

Edited by foxmob

The war zone ques are dying off. These are the longest wait times i have experienced since before merger. The pugs have all quit, the long term subs, many are going f2p(including myself). Honestly, i can't get a wz on shadowlands without facing another member of my guild. And POT5? its just as bad, the que times have gotten bad. IMO they need to get the f2p going on wz not because their being nice, but because there simply aren't enough subs left to fill them currently. Ranked is going to be a ghost town, half the pvp subs are dropping so they will not have enough players to keep it interesting and the regs will just be pugstomping 24/7. And Arenas? lol you think the quitting problem is bad now? Wait till people go into an arena with one weak link or only 3 ppl, everyone will quit asap. They have taken a decided casual turn in their pvp and its not really for the better, its an admission of failure and scaling things back.

The war zone ques are dying off. These are the longest wait times i have experienced since before merger. The pugs have all quit, the long term subs, many are going f2p(including myself). Honestly, i can't get a wz on shadowlands without facing another member of my guild. And POT5? its just as bad, the que times have gotten bad. IMO they need to get the f2p going on wz not because their being nice, but because there simply aren't enough subs left to fill them currently. Ranked is going to be a ghost town, half the pvp subs are dropping so they will not have enough players to keep it interesting and the regs will just be pugstomping 24/7. And Arenas? lol you think the quitting problem is bad now? Wait till people go into an arena with one weak link or only 3 ppl, everyone will quit asap. They have taken a decided casual turn in their pvp and its not really for the better, its an admission of failure and scaling things back.

I am playing FF14 arr as lack of dev action on swtor is shocking ave had enough shame it has turned out like this

WHY DID YOU BUMP THIS

It has been buried for nearly a month..... nobody cares. Let it be buried again

Because the problem still exits, and I believe that instead of making things better, I think that BioWare made them worse when they decided to end ranked 8v8 warzones.