Does anyone actually think that Resolve is actually a working system?

Baerik

I'm sorry... it's a great idea in theory... however it just plain, straight, doesn't work.

I need more than both hands and feet in order to count the amount of times that the displayed resolve amount didn't translate to the effects of what happened within the game, either:

1) I have a full resolve bar and yet still become affected by snares/cc's/stuns, etc

2) I have either no or a partially full resolve bar and I somehow manage to resist/not be affected by snares/cc's/stuns etc

And of course those same effects I have seen on other players which leads me to conclude only one of two things and either frankly doesn't work and ultimately needs to be fixed:

1) The resolve values aren't being properly displayed on characters, thus leading to misinformation making PVP that much more frustrating and difficult due to the lack of accuracy of a person's ability to have an effect on another character

OR

2) Resolve just plain doesn't work.

I'm partial to number 2, because I find it to be one of the dumbest systems I've ever attempted to work within, but once again that is a personal feeling/assessment. Resolve, to me, is unpredictable, unreliable and imprecise and that, to me, is just too many negative possibilities for a system to hold a segment of a game together.

I know people immediately go bananas if you mention WoW or any other MMO that has ever come out but let's be frank and honest, each one did something and right and it also did plenty wrong... Bioware, please, for the love of christ look at the upswings and pitfalls from other games and combine some ideas and avoid other ones and make yours truly the best game out there.

I know there are a lot of doomsayers out there breathing fire and brimstone but at present, if you continue down the path that you are, you are only going to prove them right and miss your "one shot" to do something great.

Get your house in order.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find reslove does what it says it does.

That in itself is an issue b/c its not a great system but it does work as advertized. The worst part about resolve is I understand how it works, but apparently 90% of the muppets in WZ's dont .. the amount of times i've seen people white barred right infront of a hazard or goal line (Negating the ability to stun them in the hazard or pull / punt them from the goal line) makes me sad.

I don't think you actually understand how the system works. When your bar is full, you are immune to stuns and knockback.

You can be snared or rooted anytime regardless of where your resolve bar is. As far as abilities not appearing to work on you without a full resolve, it is probably a miss. Many people aren't stacking accuracy at all and then they get hit by a -acc effect and even their special attacks will miss.

It is shocking to me how quick people assume things are broken or bugged when they really just need to do a little research. Pretty sure this info is even stickied for you.

Edited by DarthxRage

I think some type of diminishing return so you can't be snared and rooted nonstop is all the adjustment necessary. I think it will become self-evident with 8 man pre-mades. Smart teams already know they can chain root to prevent bcs from moving with the ball.

I don't think you actually understand how the system works. When your bar is full, you are immune to stuns and knockback.

You can be snared or rooted anytime regardless of where your resolve bar is. As far as abilities not appearing to work on you without a full resolve, it is probably a miss. Many people aren't stacking accuracy at all and then they get hit by a -acc effect and even their special attacks will miss.

It is shocking to me how quick people assume things are broken or bugged when they really just need to do a little research. Pretty sure this info is even stickied for you.

your joking right ? I constantly get perma stunned with full resolve stunned not rooted snared stunned. tbh alot of things cant be working as intended as when i go into hunker down 20s immunity to all effects guess what happens .. i get knocked out of it. Raised a ticket fwrd to dev team apparently? so some stuff is broken and they are aware of it

I've read that sticky. Just because someone broke down how it's supposed to work, doesn't mean that it works that way consistently. I too have been stunned when I shouldn't have. The system sounds plausible on paper, but it fails in practice.

There is something about Resolve that just doesn't work consistently.

I've been stunned with full Resolve and I've tried stunning people who's bars were half-empty, only for them to be immune.

And even if it did work, there's still WAY TOO much CC flying around in this game to make Resolve viable in any way.

Resolve works fine. A better system would really mean 'eliminate CC'. Aside from the rare moments where you get bashed into the terrain somehow and thus become perma stunned (which nothing will prevent anyway, because you're actually inside terrain), I know exactly what to expect from Resolve. It basically says if you get CCed once you can't get CCed again (use your CC breaker on the second one when you've a full resolve bar).

Resolve works fine. A better system would really mean 'eliminate CC'. Aside from the rare moments where you get bashed into the terrain somehow and thus become perma stunned (which nothing will prevent anyway, because you're actually inside terrain), I know exactly what to expect from Resolve. It basically says if you get CCed once you can't get CCed again (use your CC breaker on the second one when you've a full resolve bar).

Too add to this, it's easy to mistake a root for a stun sometimes, particularly as melee. Also, using a cc on someone who's immune (jugg/guardians after leap or smug/agents in hunker down) can give the impression that something is broken when it isn't.

Resolve works fine. A better system would really mean 'eliminate CC'

Or... and I know this is a crazy idea here,

but try Diminishing Returns!

I can hear the crys/jeers now "*Gasp* he mentioned using a system that WoW uses, how dare he"

Grow up.

It works, it's tested, tried and true. It's stable, guaranteed, predictable and reliable and there is nothing better than that especially in the PVP environment.

I'm not stupid, I know the difference between stuns, snares, immunities and all of that crap and I assure you, multiple times, while having a full resolve bar, or even a bar that was ticking down to empty (meaning it's still basically full) I have been gripped by BH/Troopers and grappled into fire traps, I have been choked by Sith warriors... etc

I have been effected by CC's at multiple times where I shouldn't have been due to the level of resolve and yet I still was.

I'm not sure how more 'diminishing' it gets when basically every CC after the first one doesn't work (CC break out of second one, fill resolve bar the end).

Yes for some classes getting rooted is as bad as stunned, but rooting abilities are relatively rare on ranged classes. Yes you can be chain rooted by another melee but that guy has to be in melee range to do it so it's not like he's gaining a tactical advantage.

Basically with CC breaker up Resolve means only first CC works. Without CC breaker it means only first two CC works. If your opponent is very clever they can sometimes get 3 in (a 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 ability) but you're talking about a very smart opponent and also that you didn't accidentally get any resolve just from being the massive number of AE CC effects that gets tossed around in this game.

The idea of Resolve is to prevent loss of character control effects. There's no meaningful counter you can do after you get stunned/KB/blinded/whatever, but you can definitely counter meaningfully against a root effect in most circumstances. That's why root/snare, as crippling as they are, do not build resolve, because you can fight back against those abilities.

Edited by Astarica

They should double check how much the specials fill the resolve bar. some specials fill 1/5 and some fill it 3/4. So I've had instances where I am being pushed 3 times in a row and I fly around like a rag-doll and still be at 70% resolve bar filled. The animations don't really help either. Sometimes a full stun special, that fill 66-75% of the resolve bar, lasting 4 seconds actually incapacitates you for less time than getting pushed/kicked - the getting up and falling down animation take up another 2 seconds.

I like how everyone responds with how resolve SHOULD work... thanks, once again... not an idiot.

I'm commenting on how it ACTUALLY works in practice.

In theory, it's a wonderful idea. In practice it falls extremely short of the mark and is nothing other than a big let down.

I don't need anymore lessons on how it SHOULD work, I'm merely commenting on the situation as I see it and as I have experienced it. I unfortunately can't supply video to this effect because, quite simply, my machine isn't good enough to do that. But I'm saying with raised palm and full sincerity that I have experienced this multiple times and it's annoying especially when you know it's supposed to be different than it is.

I've got two battlemaster characters, one of which got the title before Ilum made it cake. In other words, I've played a ******** of WZs.

I have literally never seen resolve not work as intended.

I have no way of knowing whether or not people just don't understand how it works or are experiencing bugs, but I strongly suspect the former.

I want to see it not drain until after all CC effects have worn off of you.

Other than that, I love Resolve.

This too, I've experienced that at times the resolve kicks in but I'm still being stunned and when the stun wears off so has half of my resolve.

Resolve works fine. A better system would really mean 'eliminate CC'.

Personally I find diminishing returns method to be better. 10 seconds, 6 seconds, 2 seconds then immune. It prevents a full ~30 seconds of being CC'ed.

As for the resolve system and working/not working. To me it seems to work most of the time. There are times it doesn't seem to work and it appears to be due to slow reaction time from the server OR CC travel time. That's my guess.

For example: In Huttball while I'm about to score, I have been fully stunned or knocked back when my resolve bar is full and white. It seems to happen when you have a lot of CC coming at you at a very quick rate. Your resolve bar is almost full, you get a knock back that fills it up but right afterwards you get stunned in place. You should have been immune to the stun.

My guess is the stun cast was finished BEFORE the resolve bar was maxed but due to travel time (Bounty Hunter's CC for example) the knock back hit you first filling the bar then you get stunned.

Edited by Krojack

Too add to this, it's easy to mistake a root for a stun sometimes.

haha that's SO true, I always confuse some people with a root while I'm close to them and they try to run out of the way, for 2 sec they look at me weird then I stun them for real.

dont no what people r crying about learn to atack better is what it sounds like 1 person cant take on 5 or 6 players ive been rooted and stuned in place a few times but its always been cos i charged in head first into a large group of players nothing rong with the sys just ya playing style for give my bad english :D

If it worked for roots it might be useful- but right now, getting stunned and mezzed up to a full bar, only to be rooted until your bar is empty again so you can get stunlocked again... yeah, it's broken.

It's slightly better than nothing at all- roots just need to be a part of it.